Official PS5 Thread

Wait... PS5 doesn't support VRR, doesn't support 1440p and has an HDMI 2.1 that is limited to 32GBs? WTF were they thinking?
Yar, some odd omissions. Hopefully firmware updates will bring more of these features to the platform.

IMO, since the Xbox One S/X launch, MS has been the leader in hardware design and feature support.

Wait... PS5 doesn't support VRR, doesn't support 1440p and has an HDMI 2.1 that is limited to 32GBs? WTF were they thinking?
Probably thinking no one cares about that, including game devs, at launch at least. They didn't support 1440p on PS4 Pro either while Xbone (S and X) did, so that wasn't too surprising to me, though they did say they'll consider adding it later if enough people nag them about it. VRR and that bandwidth limitation that I haven't heard about probably affects less than 5% of the market at the moment given that TVs with HDMI 2.1 and VRR support are still pretty rare. I'm personally annoyed by lack of VRR at launch, but expected them to update the console at some point with it and aren't sure I'll even receive my console by the time they patch it in anyways (takes 2 weeks to ship to me overseas and my order still hasn't shown it has shipped even yet), so not too big of a deal IMO.

Walmart advice. Set up an account with all your information NOW so you dont have to do it when you are trying to checkout.

I fully expect them to add VRR down the line. In general, I think they just wanted to get this thing out the door. There are lots of little quirks with it and most seem fixable via software updates. I guess it doesn't support 8K yet either, even though Sony said it would down the line. 1440p is a different story. That's isolated to people using PC monitors with a specific resolution that falls right in between the more common 1080/2160 options that TV's come in. Unless it's simply an easy addition, I wouldn't hold my breath for that one.

Yeah. It fits, but not perfectly. In general, I'm not a fan of the look of this system. It's large, it's ugly, and sitting it on it's side seems to have been an afterthought.

Bad design if it took a fall do you think it would crack the plastic.

Bad design if it took a fall do you think it would crack the plastic.

The plastic plates pop right off and are easily replaceable. I expect there to be custom plates at some point if not from Sony, then from other aftermarket brands. I know Sony took down the Platestation site that were going to sell them, but I still expect them to either license some out or come to some agreement with the more popular gaming accessory brands or otherwise at some point.

Anyone else find putting the unit on its side the 'base' doesnt really fit correctly?

Yeah. It fits, but not perfectly. In general, I'm not a fan of the look of this system. It's large, it's ugly, and sitting it on it's side seems to have been an afterthought.

Did y'all attach the stand!? I didn't know it needed the stand when on its side, BUT IT DOES. Line it up with the PS button pad symbols on the back/botton, problem solved.

Edit: Based on the wording, I'm guessing the base/stand was tried? Mine seems to fit fine, but you can't really push it around with the base on it or it'll come loose. Gotta pickup the whole unit.

Yar, it's definitely not typical livingroom friendly. But I will give it props for properly expelling heat and being fairly quiet doing it. I've currently got it on my desk top and can't hear it during play. Also think it looks its best being vertical, I agree with the thought that horizontal placement was an afterthought - thing wobbles so much and feels 'loose' on the stand.

I wouldn't be surprised if down the road a custom side panel is releases that's more flat, or stabilizing feet, or allows the stand to be screwed in (ala vertical mode). Something like that would be a simple fix to make horizontal mode more secure.

I wouldn't be surprised if down the road a custom side panel is releases that's more flat, or stabilizing feet, or allows the stand to be screwed in (ala vertical mode). Something like that would be a simple fix to make horizontal mode more secure.

That's what I'm hoping for. You can remove the white plates from the top and bottom, so it wouldn't be very tough for someone (Sony included) to make plates that make the bottom flat. Luckily I won't need to move mine much, if ever, but it's still an eyesore in my entertainment center. I also kinda want to cover up the yellow light that shows it's in rest mode. It's large and bright. I don't need that to be on all the time.

That's what I'm hoping for. You can remove the white plates from the top and bottom, so it wouldn't be very tough for someone (Sony included) to make plates that make the bottom flat. Luckily I won't need to move mine much, if ever, but it's still an eyesore in my entertainment center. I also kinda want to cover up the yellow light that shows it's in rest mode. It's large and bright. I don't need that to be on all the time.
That's cool. I haven't received mine yet (it's coming tomorrow - not that I'm eagerly awaiting or anything :D ) but I wondered if the white "shells" would be easily removable. If so it would be really easy for someone to make aftermarket ones that make the console sit better horizontally, or even just change its design language entirely to be more traditional i.e. rectangular.

That's cool. I haven't received mine yet (it's coming tomorrow - not that I'm eagerly awaiting or anything :D ) but I wondered if the white "shells" would be easily removable. If so it would be really easy for someone to make aftermarket ones that make the console sit better horizontally, or even just change its design language entirely to be more traditional i.e. rectangular.

The panels come off very easily. One company started making replacement plates and they got shutdown by Sony in days :|

Not only does the PS5 not sit flat on its own, the stupid “horizontal stand” is too small to prevent it from banging around when a kitten walks across it. I think Sony messed up on the external design, the thing stinks for integrating into a home (unlike the Series X).

The panels come off very easily. One company started making replacement plates and they got shutdown by Sony in days :|

Not only does the PS5 not sit flat on its own, the stupid “horizontal stand” is too small to prevent it from banging around when a kitten walks across it. I think Sony messed up on the external design, the thing stinks for integrating into a home (unlike the Series X).
Will it still stand vertical without the stupid white plastic pieces or do you need them on to attach the base?

Will it still stand vertical without the stupid white plastic pieces or do you need them on to attach the base?
It will stand vertical without the sides, even less stable though, and ugly as hell. I’d be happy it’s the PS5 was even larger to he boxy like a PC, or still curvy but with a flat bottom or even just a better stand. And of course I can’t put it in an entertainment center or it would overheat...

This kitten below on the right is crazy and runs into everything and also tries to stand on it. I don’t know how Sony got past product testing for actual humans and households. Maybe they didn’t...

74F0FDAD-C752-4E92-97D0-C7853F41BE57.jpeg

My son bought black ops cold war and was playing it on my pc on my lg cx 48. I was running meh in 4k.. The ps5 came in yesterday so we picked up cold war on it since I knew it was going to be a dog at 4k on my 1080ti.
It runs as smooth as glass. I hooked my keyboard and mouse up to play with him and was pleased... This will definitely keep me going until gpus are available.

Just randomly asked the customer service rep at my PX store to see if they can see when my PS5 will arrive since the order status hasn't changed from "sent to fulfiller" since I ordered it on the 7th with no tracking information posted. They said it arrived at the local post office today and should arrive tomorrow! Perfect timing too since I'm about to leave for 3 weeks for training for work, so I'll have it in my hotel room to keep me entertained while I'm gone. It'll probably be on a shitty hotel room TV and nothing close to my OLED, but better than not having it still, hah.

Memory isn't really sitting on the heatsink but the metal of the chassis next to the heatsink.

Gotta check this out when I get into my shop in a bit.

is it really bad? Or just some click bait stuff

I don't see any issues. It might be if you're running it in warmer ambient temp rooms or in an enclosure, but the same would probably be true for any other console or air cooled PC.

Gotta check this out when I get into my shop in a bit.

is it really bad? Or just some click bait stuff

Memory runs hot which was expected. GN is turning into a channel that just does videos to complain now.

I’d prefer the channel more if they did more stress testing with the griping. Does the PS5 melt in a closed entertainment center? What’s the memory temp in those ambient temps and is it way out of spec?

Got my PS5 set up today. Loooving it... Not so much the physical design, but using it is fantastic. The controller is definitely a step up from the Dual Shock 4. I still prefer offset sticks like Xbox controllers though. I saw a lot of comments about the UI being a pain but I think it's solid, no complaints from me there.

My order from Best Buy came through yesterday. I have to admit I was kinda surprised. After chatting with their team on the phone, they implied that most of those "pickup delayed" orders were being cancelled. Now I'm finally done hunting for these damned systems so my friends (and their kids) can have one.

After using both the Xbox Series X and PS5 controllers, I see value in both. The PS5's definitely feels more "next gen." The better rumble, gyroscope, audio, and the various other functions that Astro's shows off are terrific. Yet I still don't find it to be as comfy. IMO the design still leans toward using a D-pad...which basically nothing does anymore. Battery life is also an issue. Especially when you play Astro, which uses all the extra controller functions. The Series X controller is 95% the same as the X1 controller, just smaller and sturdier. For normal everyday use, that's actually ideal for me. I don't want to notice I'm using a new pad in most games. That said, after using the PS5 pad for a little while, you do start to miss the rumble and feedback, too.

Hoping to get the system today. Pretty excited but trying not to get my hopes up until receiving the goods. Also, slightly off topic but with the new PC I built and the deal they got going on for XBOX Series X/S controllers for $40, I snagged one of those also for PC gaming. Trying both next gen consoles, technically, lolol

Hoping to get the system today. Pretty excited but trying not to get my hopes up until receiving the goods. Also, slightly off topic but with the new PC I built and the deal they got going on for XBOX Series X/S controllers for $40, I snagged one of those also for PC gaming. Trying both next gen consoles, technically, lolol

I'm using the Series X controller on the PC. Works great via the wireless dongle and (apparently) also Bluetooth. If you have any issues with it, download the Windows Store app "Xbox Accessories." Mine was acting wonky until I downloaded a firmware update.

My order from Best Buy came through yesterday. I have to admit I was kinda surprised. After chatting with their team on the phone, they implied that most of those "pickup delayed" orders were being cancelled. Now I'm finally done hunting for these damned systems so my friends (and their kids) can have one.

After using both the Xbox Series X and PS5 controllers, I see value in both. The PS5's definitely feels more "next gen." The better rumble, gyroscope, audio, and the various other functions that Astro's shows off are terrific. Yet I still don't find it to be as comfy. IMO the design still leans toward using a D-pad...which basically nothing does anymore. Battery life is also an issue. Especially when you play Astro, which uses all the extra controller functions. The Series X controller is 95% the same as the X1 controller, just smaller and sturdier. For normal everyday use, that's actually ideal for me. I don't want to notice I'm using a new pad in most games. That said, after using the PS5 pad for a little while, you do start to miss the rumble and feedback, too.
Watching and reading reviews and everyone loves the new ps5 controllers but tat the same time cant wait to turn off the extra features for certain games (namely fps games), as fun and next gen as it feels it does interfere when your trying to play anything competitive and you need to "fight" your triggers to do things like fire your gun quickly. For single player rpg/action games though I see it being a good step into increasing immersion and adding neat new dynamics to a game.

Watching and reading reviews and everyone loves the new ps5 controllers but tat the same time cant wait to turn off the extra features for certain games (namely fps games), as fun and next gen as it feels it does interfere when your trying to play anything competitive and you need to "fight" your triggers to do things like fire your gun quickly. For single player rpg/action games though I see it being a good step into increasing immersion and adding neat new dynamics to a game.
I don't have Cold War so I don't know how it works exactly with the haptics, but it seems like you could do some cool stuff with it without getting in the way. For example, you could make the triggers feel like they have trigger stops (like the ones you can use on the Xbox Elite controllers) for faster semi-auto fire.

I'm using the Series X controller on the PC. Works great via the wireless dongle and (apparently) also Bluetooth. If you have any issues with it, download the Windows Store app "Xbox Accessories." Mine was acting wonky until I downloaded a firmware update.
Thanks for the tip! Yah, I'm going to give the XBOX game pass a try during this break to see what it's all about. I was using a Dualshock 4 tethered via USB cable prior to this but thought I replace it and kill 2 birds with 1 stone as I wanted to try the new controller. I actually bought Elite Series 2 controller but decided to return it (Before trying, still wrapped) when I saw that the new XBOX controller was on sale for $40 bucks. I don't play competitively nor am I really good at gaming so the $200 (with tax) would have been a waste on me, haha.

I don't have Cold War so I don't know how it works exactly with the haptics, but it seems like you could do some cool stuff with it without getting in the way. For example, you could make the triggers feel like they have trigger stops (like the ones you can use on the Xbox Elite controllers) for faster semi-auto fire.
Ya, it really comes down to how its programmed per game but I think DF summed it up pretty well in saying that while its a cool effect it does distract and limit how fast you can rapidly pull the trigger when you need to make that snap shot in multiplayer. Its a great addition for the single player campaign but your will probably want to turn it off for MP just because it does interfere with response times when the half a second makes the difference.

Back