Official PS5 Thread

Thank god I ordered two because FedEx delivered one of them to the wrong house. Great.

Congrats to everyone able to score these.

I am going to be curious to learn how hot these things run. The PS4 was a bit of a heatsink.

Congrats to everyone able to score these.

I am going to be curious to learn how hot these things run. The PS4 was a bit of a heatsink.

Digital Foundry talked about it in a video. Stays pretty cool, at least as long as it's properly ventilated.

Reactions: Q-BZ
like this
Guys, still waiting on my PS5 to arrive any second but what time or site should I check next if I want to get a PS5 for a client of mine?

Were you able to both add it to cart AND check out, or did you already have it in cart from the 12pm run and just checked out this time?
I had to start over. It restarted a few times and then finally let me buy it. I had set up an account earlier today to make checkout faster.

Guys, still waiting on my PS5 to arrive any second but what time or site should I check next if I want to get a PS5 for a client of mine?
Walmart will have more at 6pm EST and 9pm EST. Other than that, apparently the official Playstation store has had them a couple of times today and it shows they're getting more tomorrow. It's anyone's guess when or if any of the other retailers (Target, Best Buy, etc) will have more.

Walmart will have more at 6pm EST and 9pm EST. Other than that, apparently the official Playstation store has had them a couple of times today and it shows they're getting more tomorrow. It's anyone's guess when or if any of the other retailers (Target, Best Buy, etc) will have more.

Thanks bro

so basically you have to have no life and sit in front of a computer with 19 chrome tabs open continually going through them to hope you get to check out and get a confirmation lol

Thanks bro

so basically you have to have no life and sit in front of a computer with 19 chrome tabs open continually going through them to hope you get to check out and get a confirmation lol
Not really. At 259 I started refreshing my browser and after a few tries got mine. One tab.

Spoke to a Best Buy representative, and looks like my order did go through and will be shipping shortly. Everything looked good on my end, but I was expecting it to cancel out.

Wasn't planning on a PS5, but fell to the hype. However, it looks really impressive and I figure, I've got a backlog of PS4 exclusives to enjoy and it will help me hold out on upgrading my GPU until the rumored 3080 TI comes out (and we get a bloodbath between it and the 6800 XT). Plus, I'm sure the PS5 will hold onto its value for a long time if I decide its not a right fit (and starts collecting dust).

Not really. At 259 I started refreshing my browser and after a few tries got mine. One tab.
same shit again, site barely worked, this time I was able to get one tab through to the checkout page but by the time I got the "place order" button I get the out of stock message.
Shit is SO FUCKING STUPID

It's 75% luck and 25% watching forums to know when things are going on sale. I never got the refreshing piles of tabs, though. I've had far more luck F5'ing one reliable tab or (with Target) using a store's mobile app since the checkout process is sometimes quicker.

I had it in my cart at Walmart.com at 6:00 PM but it wouldn't let me Checkout...I kept getting an error message...by the time it did it went out of stock...I'll try again at 9:00 PM EST

????
udkRd8n.jpg

Keep refreshing Amazon. I managed to get one into my cart but I forgot to have 1-click turned on.

Keep refreshing Amazon. I managed to get one into my cart but I forgot to have 1-click turned on.
Yep I got rekt by Amazon asking me which address I want to use even though I only have one on file.

Last edited:
Been trying for the Walmart drops all day, snagged one on Amazon instead! Delivering tomorrow.

It's the disk version, which I really didnt want, but it is what it is. It seem like the digital ones are harder to get.

Been trying for the Walmart drops all day, snagged one on Amazon instead! Delivering tomorrow.

It's the disk version, which I really didnt want, but it is what it is. It seem like the digital ones are harder to get.
the fuuuuuck lol. FML

how are you guys getting alerts on time with nowinstock's text system being turned off right now?

how are you guys getting alerts on time with nowinstock's text system being turned off right now?

Your not going to like my answer... Zero alerts set up. My attempts for a ps5 have been very casual.

We knew Walmart was dropping stock today at 12, 3, 6, and 9. While they drop, I also have the live chat over on the ps5 reddit open. As I was trying to brute force Walmart, someone said check Amazon. I didn't even have an Amazon window up. Opened Amazon, saw it was in stock, checked out as normal as any other Amazon purchase.

Showing preparing for shipment with a delivery tomorrow. Honestly, it was just dumb luck.

Check costco and Sam club through out the day. Reason is you have to be a member to get a console. It will probably help with the bots.

I thought the disk version would be more popular due to resale value of the games?...but I guess most people just want the cheaper version

Check costco and Sam club through out the day. Reason is you have to be a member to get a console. It will probably help with the bots.
Word up. I got both a series X back in October and just copped a PS5 today - both from Costco. Both are bundles but worth it, they came with an extra controller. Series X had no games but the PS5 has miles morales.

The disc less version will cost you more I'm the long run. Disc drop in price really quick but digital rarely go on sale. Unless you day one every game you will save in the long run. Honestly you give up too much over a $100.

Got it earlier and hooked it up. Downloaded my 2 (3 really) games, then played like 3 hours of Demon Souls and a few minutes of Spider-man. I set the games at highest fidelity and it is beautiful. As I went through Demon's Souls I would go oh I kind of remember this part :). Definitely it seems to be running cooler than I expected so I think Sony did a good job with that aspect. I have to say I LOVE the dual sense controller. I thought the DS4 was just right for me, but now I think the slightly larger dual sense is better. It's a little steep at $70 but I definitely want one now for my PC. There was already a firmware update when I started it up for both the PS5 and the Dual sense controller. The case is kind of huge and it looks weird to me with it's wavey like design. The LED is much more pronounced than the PS4. It has 2 rest modes now, an eco rest mode that won't charge or download updates mode and a normal rest mode that will allow that. I am not too happy with the location of the disc drive. It is on the bottom of the console when laying horizontally. I feel like I would more easily scratch discs for some reason because it's kind of hard to see the slot and it's kind of under a lip.

The PS Plus collection games for the PS5 were auto added to my library when I logged in. I tried last night to look for some of the games on my PS4 and I couldn't get them so you might not be able to get it like you would normal PS+ games through the app or other PS device without having first logged in with a PS5. I didn't install any PS4 games yet nor do I plan to till maybe tomorrow since I haven't prepared a 3.5" HDD yet.

I thought the disk version would be more popular due to resale value of the games?...but I guess most people just want the cheaper version
I think the disk version is more popular. I don't think the digital one is harder to get because it's more in demand. I think there is a lot less of them. I saw a handful of game stops reporting stock, and that stock heavily favored the physical one. Likewise, if popfinder is to be believed, when Target went live last night, every store in a ~50 mile radium of me (20 or so stores) all got 15-20 disk, and all of the stores were showing zero digital. I'm not sure if that was really accurate, but maybe target really only did get disk versions?

What I think is really going on is some Sony tomfoolery. There's no way the disk drive costs anywhere near $100. I bet that's a $20 part. That means the markup is greater on the disk version. Given that both consoles are likely being sold at a loss... the disk version would be less of a loss. It's a phenomenal strategy... come out with both versions, so that they can say they have a $399 next gen console when the $499 one is the one they really want to sell. Manufacture at a 25/75 split (I'm guessing here), knowing every unit is going to sell instantly for months to come anyway. Brag about having the cheaper next gen console (ignoring the S), while delivering as few as you possibly can to say it actually exists. This is all speculation, but it's my honest guess as what's happening here.

The disc less version will cost you more I'm the long run. Disc drop in price really quick but digital rarely go on sale. Unless you day one every game you will save in the long run. Honestly you give up too much over a $100.

Not me. I don't do physical games. I don't care about buying used, or selling, and I don't like keeping track of a physical library. On the PS4, I didn't own a single physical game. For Xbox, I had one (RDR2), because it came bundled with the console... and I sold it back to Amazon for like $30 and then bought it on PC when it came out. Same story with Switch, the only cartridge I have is BOTW, because it came with it (and I would have much rather bought it without, but I bought it at the height of COVID when Gamestop was only selling dumb ass bundles, kinda like they are doing now). I know digital costs most, but I still usually try to hit sales unless I know it's something I want day one, and I don't mind paying more for the convenience. I even rip all my 4K blu's to watch them via Plex, so I won't use it for that either. Literally, it could arrive with a broken disk drive and I'll never know.

Reactions: T4rd
like this
lol this time I craftily kept the PS5 in my cart so that i wouldn't have to wait just to add it and hopefully get a shot at it. Instead I made it all the way to entering payment info and got defeated by an endless Captcha check box that kept popping back up, until it finally went away and I got the lovely "out of stock" message.

Fuck this, I'll see you in 2021, PS5.

More than once today I had a unit in the cart and never managed to get through the check out process. I really do not understand that you are not allowed adequate time to complete checking out. The bots win again!

Got a question for you guys that are already setup with your PS5 on your HDMI 2.1 2020 TV’s

My tv is the 2020 Sony X900H. My hdmi my PS5 is plugged into is HDMI3 which is the one with 120hz 4K HDR support.

I already tested it on my series x and it was incredible. When I go to settings on my PS5 dashboard and check video output, this is what it shows. Only 60hz, does this not show 120hz ?

Attachments

• 2404FFBB-A82E-4C20-A837-60DE16FC411A.jpeg
    2404FFBB-A82E-4C20-A837-60DE16FC411A.jpeg
    202.3 KB · Views: 0
Got a question for you guys that are already setup with your PS5 on your HDMI 2.1 2020 TV’s

My tv is the 2020 Sony X900H. My hdmi my PS5 is plugged into is HDMI3 which is the one with 120hz 4K HDR support.

I already tested it on my series x and it was incredible. When I go to settings on my PS5 dashboard and check video output, this is what it shows. Only 60hz, does this not show 120hz ?
Select YUV422 color format maybe?

Back