Official: Prescott OWNERS & 1st hand experience

Problem with prescott is, We just had high hope's. Chip runs @ 1.36 volts default, and a smaller process.

Everyone just had 4ghz dreams. The thing is. All the OEM prescotts I've seen are getting 3.6ghz and up on good cooling.

I go through a lot of chips and do see dud's that wont go over a 300mhz overclock.

Prescotts do seem consitant.

They run hot, but they can take it.

Originally posted by Tedinde
I've got a crazy amount of volts going to this chip also 1.68. You will get about 70-80celsius on your water rig.

Dropping back to 1.45 and 200mhz less drops temps dramatically!!.

the prescott is not People into heavy overclocking unless you spend a lot of dough on cooling.

And temps dont matter to me anyway. If it ran in the 70's stable it wouldnt bother me.

And you get 20celsius idle room tempature is 68 farenheit or 20 celsius in most of the world. I keep my house @ 22 celsius though. Amazing you get better than room temps, without bong cooling or Pelts. Do you have a window open and keep it 14C in your house??

I just measured a CPU i have on my desk brand new. Not in a computer. it's @ 21Celsius without any volts to it and not even in a computer??

well as I'm not using the most accurate temp probes in the world (mediocre temp sensor for room temp, and p4 diode) my temps are not going to be exact. However, from watching my temps for several weeks, I've found that my p4 stays at 0-1c above room temp at idle speeds. At load it will run anywhere from 3-6c above (depending on load). I have my external wc system next to a wall that carries a bit of a draft, so I may be experiencing slightly lower than ambient temps, but I doubt it. The draft from that wall is not very strong at all. However my temps are fine for me. I find that even at 1.775 volts and 3.7 ghz I won't go over 8c over ambient. My cpu is always below case ambient of course. Nothing compared to your vapo ted!

Right now my diode reads 19c - 20c and my room temp reads at 19.5, and I def. have a several degree error margin, so I don't think the draft is effecting it much. As far as I can tell I have a very good, efficient watercooling system and nothing more :). Which is just fine.

My IC7 as also about 7-9 Celsius over by going by My Digidoc 5 fixed between my and vapo touching the side of the IHS.

Well I just got my p2.8E and the highest I could take it on air was 3.65 stable. This is on an abit IS7 Rev 1.2 w/samsung pc3200 @5:4

Vcore - 1.450-1.50 it fluctuates
Vdimm - 2.8 max
Cooling - Alpha Pal 8942 W/6000rpm Tornado

Intrestingly enough my temps were identical @ stock and @3.65 but like Tedinde stated anything higher in voltage and bam, temps through the roof. I'm not sure if the cpu has hit its limits or if its the ram, nevertheless im getting some corsair deleiverd to me tommorow. Hope its the ram and maybe just maybe 2.8E's can reach 4Ghz on air.

everything is cool over here =). Plenty of fans. Im quit happy with a 850mhz overclock. Just want to see if the chip has any more headroom but probably not.

Originally posted by Smooth_Criminal
everything is cool over here =). Plenty of fans. Im quit happy with a 850mhz overclock. Just want to see if the chip has any more headroom but probably not.

You live in San Diego too :eek:

Yeah I guess beach is nice :D Well using clockgen now and can get to 3.712 stable. Any tips anyone can give as this is my first time using clockgen?

I'm just going to wait on the next stepping in march myself.
I think the wait will be well worth it. :)

Back