Official: Prescott OWNERS & 1st hand experience

chrisf6969

[H]F Junkie
Ok, Ted in DE should be getting his soon, as well as hopefully a few others. Post here YOUR RESULTS & SCREENSHOTS.... not opinions! :)

Ex: (just sample not really my #'s)

CPU: 2.8E
Stepping info: (screen of CPUID,etc.. is probably best)
Max OC: 4Ghz
voltage: 1.4v
temps: idle40C/load60C
cooling: custom water cool, etc.
mobo & Bios revision: Abit IC-7 Max3 BIOS 21(so we know which ones support it)

maybe a bench or 2 or 3: 3dMark2k1, SuperPi, etc..

EDIT: DAMN IT, I SAID PRESCOTT OWNERS ONLY. Dont clog this thread with opinions of retailers, off topic comments, or questions about newegg, etc.!!!!!!!!

I hate liars there were a few people who said they ordered them the 1st and requested overnight delivery. We dont need the bs here people.

I ordered on the first and requested overnight. Spartantech was BS.

But Azzo came though, It just got mine 15 minutes ago
presctt.jpg

prescttback.jpg

I'll have a thread started in about a half hour

You can always depend on the guys at Azzo. They're local to me, so I do my business as a walk-in. What impressed me from the start is that they're enthusiasts just like us, they use the stuff they sell, and won't BS a person just to get a sale.

Darn few retailers like that these days.

Looking forward to it Ted and thank you beforehand. All you guys that post new information and do the stuff you do for people such as myself that know alittle less, is awesome.
Thanks to all you information [H]ardcorers out there :D

Ya I know alittle too emotional but I just can't help myself I'm so veclempt (sp) lol.

Im working on a lot of pics and stuff now. Not too happy on air so far. 3.5ghz and some more volts is @ 67 Idle with a Zalman ALCU.

Sisoft isnt a good benchie for prescotts, So im using 3dmark and the long one's. Hexus Pifast and trying to see if the anand theory is true on the Performance curve.

so does the 2.8 have HT or not? both newegg and azzo say they do but didn't intel say they wouldn't?

After reading that thread it makes my decision easy.

No freakin way will I buy a stupid Prescott 478.

Originally posted by Exocet956
so does the 2.8 have HT or not? both newegg and azzo say they do but didn't intel say they wouldn't?

yes there is HT. On it.

2.80E prescott 800MHz fsb = ht enabled
2.80EB(?) prescott 533MHz fsb = no ht (but no info at launch, was the info wrong?)

Also if this is right, i am using the 3rd stepping version of the prescott, not the hot first version?? My temps are close to 32 Celsius with a Vapo PE, and 1.5volts.

gcpuid1.JPG

Have you ever run a 3.0c or 2.8c on your vapo? what are the temps like on those for comparison?

Errr........Ummmmmmmmmm :rolleyes: Im not sure if these Cpus are the direction intel is going in the future!
I think ill be waiting until i see the new chipsets in the middle of the year..
Just a thought.:cool:

Originally posted by Big Worm
Have you ever run a 3.0c or 2.8c on your vapo? what are the temps like on those for comparison?

See sig. And my temps @ 4.2ghz idle are 4 celsius and 15 Celsius load, with a 1.67v on a northwood.

hey ted i wanna get some new ram and a chip this week, what shall i get??

Well that sorta bums me out a little bit...

Hopefully the LGA prescotts will be better....

Originally posted by AthlonXP
hey ted i wanna get some new ram and a chip this week, what shall i get??

I was just about to ask you what i should buy.

I have a prescott for you , but i like you to much and i wouldnt wish that on you.

for a month all everyone has said when people were going to buy a northwood was. "wait till prescott"

Id love to believe as USMC does "hopefully the LGA's will be better"

And i'll buy one soon as i can, i cant help it.

People are tired of waiting. And a AMD64 is a nice instant gratification now.

But it's hard to recommend anything to you AAthlonXP going by your sig. Cept maybe if you find a guaranteed 4ghz northwood in a fourm for sale somewhere.

Only good thing about the prescott's are they drove the P4 pricing down on every chip.

Gonna have to be a hell of a revision to get the heat down.

i need help picking up the best ram, but yeah my chip wont oc that high anymore it stays around the 3.5 ish range now.

Well, this settles it for me. I guess I'm heading off to the AMD-side until the LGA 775 and PCIE is around (and hopefully a newer and cooler stepping)

I'll still make P4 Northy's for people who want em, but I'll definitely start recommending AMD's to people who are on the fence. It's been quite I while since the last time I recommended an AMD over an Intel.

*Carefully exits Intel side and lurks over to the AMD forum*

see i am having trouble deciding on either a 3.2 or 3.4 so i can get 4ghz or just going with a 3400+ athlon 64 setup.

Carefully exits Intel side and lurks over to the AMD forum

:eek: Oh know we lost another one!Damed second comming of the willamette.I'm taking up rollerblading until LGA 775 is out:p

LOL. Well would it help if HT has somewhat lured me from the "dark side"? lol. Or is HT the lure of the dark side (something clouds my vision)...hmmm disturbing truth this is. Meditate on this I will.

I've got the 2.8E from Azzo Computers - same as in Kyle's article on overclocking the Prescott. Ditto I have a Koolance watercooled system. Ditto I have an IC7-Max3.
Seems I can look for something in the range of 14x250=3.5Ghz. But, he also warns of potential motherboard damage because of the heat.

I don't see any temperature numbers in the review though so I'm wondering if he ran something like Prime95 for 10 or 12 hours to establish whether it was a stable overclock and what his temperatures were by the end of the test. Sure would like to know those temps Kyle. Also, what Bios version did you use to test the prescott on the IC7-max3? The 1.4 beta?

I have a P4 2.6C in my system right now that runs stable at a 3.4Ghz overclock with 33C temperature under load so I'm definitely not sure If I wanna put this prescott chip in and chance burning up my motherboard in a few days or a few weeks.

Originally posted by FiveAssedMonkey
I've got the 2.8E from Azzo Computers - same as in Kyle's article on overclocking the Prescott. Ditto I have a Koolance watercooled system. Ditto I have an IC7-Max3.
Seems I can look for something in the range of 14x250=3.5Ghz. But, he also warns of potential motherboard damage because of the heat.

I don't see any temperature numbers in the review though so I'm wondering if he ran something like Prime95 for 10 or 12 hours to establish whether it was a stable overclock and what his temperatures were by the end of the test. Sure would like to know those temps Kyle. Also, what Bios version did you use to test the prescott on the IC7-max3? The 1.4 beta?

I have a P4 2.6C in my system right now that runs stable at a 3.4Ghz overclock with 33C temperature under load so I'm definitely not sure If I wanna put this prescott chip in and chance burning up my motherboard in a few days or a few weeks.

What temps do you get with your 2.8e?

Originally posted by Big Worm
What temps do you get with your 2.8e?

Haven't put it in yet. While my IC7-max3 can take the prescott, Kyle's overclocking review makes me think that even with watercooling, the heat generated by the prescott may damage the motherboard, though not at first. So what to do...Put it in and see what happens or sell it? Like to see some results from others if I could before deciding.

See also these comments on prescott results coming in
http://www.overclockers.com/articles956/

Originally posted by FiveAssedMonkey
Haven't put it in yet. While my IC7-max3 can take the prescott, Kyle's overclocking review makes me think that even with watercooling, the heat generated by the prescott may damage the motherboard, though not at first. So what to do...Put it in and see what happens or sell it? Like to see some results from others if I could before deciding.

Put the damn thing in and see. You're gonna see a loss from selling it anyways, might as well see what it can do. I seriously doubt it will melt your board or damage it. Watercooling it, DO IT!

Come on your wuss.... pop it in.... The IC-7 Max3 has the wind tunnel thing over the mosfets for a reason!! Put it in at least temporarily to see how it will OC. If it does 3.5+Ghz then you may want to keep it.... but if it only does 3.3 and you're already at 3.2+ then you probably dont want to keep it.

Originally posted by batotman
Put the damn thing in and see. You're gonna see a loss from selling it anyways, might as well see what it can do. I seriously doubt it will melt your board or damage it. Watercooling it, DO IT!

My system is in pieces at the moment undergoing some fixes so if I do try the 2.8E it won't be right at the moment. So yeah, call me a wuss...(oh wait, somebody already did!)

In any case, from what I'm reading it appears that while we can run the prescott on some current motherboards, the current generation of motherboards aren't really ready to work with the prescott without experiencing some very high and potentially damaging temperatures, especially when overclocking. So yeah, if I don't put in the 2.8E when I put my system together again I'll lose some money. But I'll probably save my system for another day too. Can Intel produce a prescott in later stampings that run cooler? Beats me. Will motherboard manufacturers build mobos really designed to operate with temperatures the prescott generates? Probably in the works somewhere, but that's only a guess.

"well, I dont have one yet but........."

yack, yack, yack, yack, yack, yack, yack, yack, yack, yack, yack, yack, yack, yack, yack, yack, yack, yack, yack, yack, yack, yack, yack, yack, yack, yack, yack, yack, yack, yack, yack, yack, yack, yack, yack, yack, yack, yack, yack, yack, yack, yack, yack, yack, yack, yack, yack, yack, yack, yack, yack, yack, yack, yack, yack, yack, yack, yack, yack, yack...

-come on people, stop posting your useless smack and post something USEFULL if/when you do ever get your Prescott up and running.

I came to this thread looking for usefull info on this chip and all I see so far are 3 pages full of spam. :rolleyes:

Originally posted by Tedinde
It wont melt, even with the volts upped!!! 1.68volts!!!

3950.JPG

those are the crappiest temps I've ever seen. 20c on a VAPO? Gah! I get 20c idle on water cooling! where are the 90nm benefits?

not sure, but i am going to visit ted on sunday so i will see this chip.

Originally posted by pakotlar
those are the crappiest temps I've ever seen. 20c on a VAPO? Gah! I get 20c idle on water cooling! where are the 90nm benefits?

I've got a crazy amount of volts going to this chip also 1.68. You will get about 70-80celsius on your water rig.

Dropping back to 1.45 and 200mhz less drops temps dramatically!!.

the prescott is not People into heavy overclocking unless you spend a lot of dough on cooling.

And temps dont matter to me anyway. If it ran in the 70's stable it wouldnt bother me.

And you get 20celsius idle room tempature is 68 farenheit or 20 celsius in most of the world. I keep my house @ 22 celsius though. Amazing you get better than room temps, without bong cooling or Pelts. Do you have a window open and keep it 14C in your house??

I just measured a CPU i have on my desk brand new. Not in a computer. it's @ 21Celsius without any volts to it and not even in a computer??

Ocing isn't that bad. I think you guys have just been spoiled by the insane oc's on the Northwood-C :). Just hope one day your mobo doesn't just suddenly melt! :p

Back