Official Oblivion Issues thread

Nasty_Savage

Fully [H]
Figured I'd put a placeholder down so that it doesn't turn into a semi exclusive Battlefield 2 sub-forum ;)

Also interested in some issues folks may have since I will let you guinea pigs test it for me :D

I believe the only issue people are having is the unavailability of it at local stores :(

My copy of Oblivion will not install. It begins just fine and then towards the middle it gives a "Catastrophic error" message. It seems this happens during the install of the "voices" files. Anyone running into this?

Athlon 4200+
2GB RAM
7800GTX
Windows XP Pro SP2

stretch002 said:
My copy of Oblivion will not install. It begins just fine and then towards the middle it gives a "Catastrophic error" message. It seems this happens during the install of the "voices" files. Anyone running into this?

Athlon 4200+
2GB RAM
7800GTX
Windows XP Pro SP2

running any anti-virus/firewall apps?

I am having one problem, the videos, especially the beginning one displaying the logos and the one you see when you start a new game are choppy and the sound is choppy as well, I have reinstalled the game already and hasn't fixed the problem. Also, the game plays fine when I am ingame.

stretch002 said:

Athlon 4200+
2GB RAM
7800GTX
Windows XP Pro SP2

Try and copy the contents of the CD to your hard drive and install from there...

No clue why this worked...
I upgraded my Direct X drivers to the Feb 2006 version. FYI the WIN XP update tool seems to load the DEC 2005 version. I then rebooted and all was well. :D

Having an issue where the 3D portion of the game disappears. The HUD is still there. People still talk to you and you can hear conversations.. but the world is gone.

Running the latest WHQL Forceware drivers, dated March 17th with my 7800GT on maxxed settings.

********Workaround found********

Tried installing 84.25 beta. Problem appeared less often.

Turned off HDR. Problem disappeared.

Hope Bethesda fixes this soon. HDR looked cool.

Same post I posted in the Oblivion thread in main forum
movax said:
P4 3.2C @ 3.6, 1.5GB of RAM, ATI X700 AGP. Fullscreen at any-res, is unplayable because the fucking window border keeps flickering in and out. Windowed is perfect, but have to set the monitor resolution lower. And to that extent, I still suffer frequent drops to <20fps @ 800x600, and 640x480 is just too damn small windowed. Guess I'll wait until I've got a beefier videocard to play this game. Shame too, I was looking forward to this.
:(

Can't finding the third clue to the missing painting mystery in Corrol :(

OMG been here for fucking forever :mad:

alt-tab hoses the game.

doesn't come with an SLI profile, had to make one.

blue screens of death until I made a profile, none since.

I have a problem where, and this only happens when I load a saved game, it just reboots my computer. I haven't overclocked anything and I play CS:S, HL2 and other graphically intense game...I just think it is very odd that, instead of crashing, it outright reboots my computer, as if I had pressed the reset button. Temperature reads 32 C so it's all good there I guess....try reloading save games alot (I was low on lock picks and needed the damn door open) and see if you have the same problem.

athlon 64 3000+ newcastle
2 gig corsair value
x800 XT PE

Also I am only getting stereo sound....no 5.1 support it seems...

Yes, minimizing the game just kills it for me and I'm having the flickering borders too.

ValeX said:
My problem is as follows:

I play the game almost maxed out settings on everything, humming at about 25-40fps, but after i play for a little over an hour, things begin to slow down, the choppiness gets worse and worse and worse until im down to about 8 fps, in the exact same area!!!! What is going on? is it wastefully using my RAM or soemthing? note that exiting the game and reloading it gets me back to 40fps in the same area again.......overheating is not an issue, any ideas?

ValeX

That is almost a textbook description of a memory leak.

If anybody doubted this was a bethesda game, we're getting proof pretty quick. I really should've taken a screenshot of the fish that was on land trying to attack me, lol.

I stole a horse and spent a few minutes running cross-country to escape the guards. I spot a few deer so I decide to hop off the horse and take a shot at them. While I'm off the horse it slowly wanders away only to have half it's body stuck in a large rock. I hop on the horse and can't move because I'm lodged in this rock. I get off the horse and I'M INSIDE OF THE ROCK... I had to use the map and travel just to escape the rock and lose my horse in the process.

Tedium said:
I stole a horse and spent a few minutes running cross-country to escape the guards. I spot a few deer so I decide to hop off the horse and take a shot at them. While I'm off the horse it slowly wanders away only to have half it's body stuck in a large rock. I hop on the horse and can't move because I'm lodged in this rock. I get off the horse and I'M INSIDE OF THE ROCK... I had to use the map and travel just to escape the rock and lose my horse in the process.

Hahaha, that is like the time in Morrowind where I opened a door and it pinned me to the wall---permanently.

yeah, I got stuck in Morrowind as well, and it's a good thing I had saved a couple different versions, because one of them got corrupted.

I have had a few CTD's. Usually seconds befor eI save. Had a couple lockups after playing for 5 hours...

Flickering/bright edges here as well. Not such a big deal, but sometimes the renderer treats them as part of the frame, and they get blooms - a little distracting.

One CTD as well. Better than Morrowind, I guess.

I turned my textures down to medium and that pretty much fixed all my issues :) Game still looks amazing and quite honestly plays UNBELIEVABLE.

My first and only problem was the fishing quest across the bridge heading to Jaufrre.

Killing the slaughter fish was hard. They can kick your butt. And They are hard to find. Its like there is one in the lake at a time or something.. Yet the fishermen makes it sound like they are everywhere!

Oh and the compass gets stuck pointing you to one spot that has no fish in the area at all..

I'm still waiting for that problem to reset, right now I'm doing some mage guild stuff in Chorral.

I got oblivion yesterday and Ive been having massive slowdowns in the game (fps wise) ever since the start, As soon as I boot the game and start off in my cell I get frames of 10-15.

My specs are
AMD FX-57
Asus Eax x1800 xt 512 meg
2 gigs pc 4000 ram running at 500 mhz
250 gig seagate caviar harddrive

And I have nothing running the background, then I went to the task manager, and it tells me oblivion is taking up 350 megs of my ram

Lush said:
I got oblivion yesterday and Ive been having massive slowdowns in the game (fps wise) ever since the start, As soon as I boot the game and start off in my cell I get frames of 10-15.

My specs are
AMD FX-57

And I have nothing running the background, then I went to the task manager, and it tells me oblivion is taking up 350 megs of my ram

Wow thats some crazy awesome computer..What exactly are you running the game at? (Like res, what texture settings etc).

I have it at 1368x768 with grass off, and HDR/Bloom off and it runs fine. I even have the draw distance at full.

Anybody having problems with ATI cards? Im having problems with shadows on characters. But the main problem is when Im outside. The game is acting like I have the view distance set real low. Its like I'm stuck in fog.

Cousin Patty said:
Anybody having problems with ATI cards? Im having problems with shadows on characters. But the main problem is when Im outside. The game is acting like I have the view distance set real low. Its like I'm stuck in fog.

screenshots?

Im tried running it at 1600x1200 I get 10 -15 fps, then I went down to 1024x768 and I STILL GET 10-15 FPS< lolololol Im very sad :(

I tried updating to the feb 2006 direct x, that didnt help

Also my mouse dies in the middle of the first catacombs, and it doesnt want to start moving again, the keyboard does not respond either.

Issues are as follows :
1.Cant alt-tab.
2.Random Crashes before and after auto-saving.

my only complaint is the mouse sensitivity slider alwas goes back to default every time i load up the game. :mad:

ValeX said:
My problem is as follows:

I play the game almost maxed out settings on everything, humming at about 25-40fps, but after i play for a little over an hour, things begin to slow down, the choppiness gets worse and worse and worse until im down to about 8 fps, in the exact same area!!!! What is going on? is it wastefully using my RAM or soemthing? note that exiting the game and reloading it gets me back to 40fps in the same area again.......overheating is not an issue, any ideas?

ValeX

Although that sounds like a memory leak, on the flip side, nobody else has reported this issue, and my wife and I played for about 5 hours straight last night on different computers and neither one of us had this issue. So that may be the case, but it may not be. I have no solution except update all your drivers, and if you are overclocking try turning the OC's off for a session and see if the problem still happens.

Lush said:
Im tried running it at 1600x1200 I get 10 -15 fps, then I went down to 1024x768 and I STILL GET 10-15 FPS< lolololol Im very sad :(

I tried updating to the feb 2006 direct x, that didnt help

Also my mouse dies in the middle of the first catacombs, and it doesnt want to start moving again, the keyboard does not respond either.

I think the game is highly CPU Limited.. What processor do you have?

Lush said:

My specs are
AMD FX-57

I have an FX-60 and an X1900XT and I am not having any issues. Maybe you could try turning off your overclocks, just to see if it helps. I have seen games before where certain peoples PC's just could not run the game right when OC'ed even though the same PC worked fine with every other game in the world when OC'ed.

Mazgazine1 said:
My first and only problem was the fishing quest across the bridge heading to Jaufrre.

Killing the slaughter fish was hard. They can kick your butt. And They are hard to find. Its like there is one in the lake at a time or something.. Yet the fishermen makes it sound like they are everywhere!

Oh and the compass gets stuck pointing you to one spot that has no fish in the area at all..

I'm still waiting for that problem to reset, right now I'm doing some mage guild stuff in Chorral.

Finishing that quest is well worth the reward......

I played for 18 hours nonstop and had no errors, but when I quit about an hour ago, after it exited to the desktop, an error message saying "Oblivion caused an error and needed to be shut down" (or something really close, I can't remember - too tired) popped up.

I used to get those all the time with Morrowind, but they always followed a crash. Oblivion didn't crash :confused:

Pooky said:
I played for 18 hours nonstop and had no errors, but when I quit about an hour ago, after it exited to the desktop, an error message saying "Oblivion caused an error and needed to be shut down" (or something really close, I can't remember - too tired) popped up.

I used to get those all the time with Morrowind, but they always followed a crash. Oblivion didn't crash :confused:

Maybe since Oblivion is so much fun the game just assumes that it must be an error if someone shuts down the game.

Pooky said:

I got this once last night too.

Xorg said:
I am having one problem, the videos, especially the beginning one displaying the logos and the one you see when you start a new game are choppy and the sound is choppy as well, I have reinstalled the game already and hasn't fixed the problem. Also, the game plays fine when I am ingame.
I have this issue as well, the intro video is fubar. The menu screen and the rest of the game are fine. Alt-Tab does not work for me either.

I've got an issue, I'm looting the upstairs of some armor shop for a good 3 minutes straight and THEN some cop decides to bust me! It took me a while to collect all that crap! Oh and he kicked my ass. :mad:

Cousin Patty said:
How do you take a screenshot in game?

nevermin , i know what fog you were talking about , this is normal if you dont have the view distance maxed out ,

the only way i know of taking screenshots in this game is using the "print screen" key ,
or installing fraps and using that to take screenshots

Back