[Official] [H] 8G of ram thread

MrGuvernment

Fully [H]
Okay, well today i got my other 4G of Patriot Viper 4G kit, i had 4G already (the 4G of corsair i had went into my htpc)

With the price of DDR2 being so cheap, i figured, why not get 8G, i also planned to mess with some VM's and i hate being limited on my computer so i thought WHY not...

4G was nice and all but at times i had hit almost 3.5G.. i tend to be one of those people who games and also has many other things running, i alt+tab out alot between rounds or deaths and do other things, so nice to not worry about speed to get back into a game...(have games on a 3 drive raid 0 hitting 183MB average)

My other system specs

DFI x38 T2R Dk
Q6600 @ 2.8 (i had it at 3Ghz but had some issues, and anything above 3.2 i need alot of volts...i just havent had time to tweak this DFI board)
VisionTek 4850

So, who else has 8G... and more important... Why?

Do you use more then 4G+?

Alot of people say 8G is overkill..

now that i have 8G i cant wait to give photoshop %50 of my ram! see how well it flies when working with 30MB raw files from my canon 40D!

My next build is going to have 8GB, though my friends are all asking why.

When you can get 8GB of G.skill DDR2 800 for around 50, sometimes cheaper, why not?

Hell, HP is selling machines that are around 1000 or so in the retail market with 8GB of RAM, and one for 819 that has 7GB of RAM and a Phenom X4, teamed up with integrated GeForce 6150SE (srsly, wtf?)

I'm using 1GB RAM with Server 08 64-bit...

I envy you 8 giggers greatly...

8GB of G.SKill DDR2-800 CAS4 Memory in Vista x64. Why? Why not?

im running 8GB(4X2) 1066ddr2 OCZ Platinum just because i build for the future and it was cheap. an example of how old my builds are just check the sig :eek:

Just jumped on 8GB (4x2GB sticks) from the 'egg for $60 after 20 MIR, with free ship. I dual-log Warhammer Online and with that + my normal stuff open like browser windows, mp3 player, etc. I was coming close to 4GB used just in town, let alone with heavy combat going on. So, I figured for that little I may as well. I also use my computer for things other than games that will benefit ;) but that was the thing that sparked my interest. If I switch to Core i7, I'll be doing 3x2GB for 6 total of DDR3, though.

My other current specs are: Q6600 @ 3.0ghz, GTX 280, eVGA NF68-A1 680i SLI motherboard.

I just got my additional 4GB of G.Skill today. So I'm new to the 8GB of RAM club too.

4x2GB G.Skill PC2-8000 1066Mhz

I have 8 gigs G.Skill DDR2 1000. It bothered me to see empty dimm slots. I mean, every hole needs filling right? :p

I've had 4x2gb of OCZ SLI Ed. 800mhz since I built my newest box last October-ish. Back then I paid $85 after rebate per kit, and that was an AMAZING price! I guess it's time for 4x4gb of 1066??? :p

my next build will have atleast 8 gigs of ram... i have 4 right now and im gonna turn this box into my media server and my new build will be my vm box...looking forward to having 8 monitors on my desk too :D

I have 8gigs of ocz 800, but my asus p5q pro isn't very happy with it.

New main rig is 8 cores, 8 gigs, 8 drives (7 now, 1 more on the way), and planning to go to 16GB soon. Main use is workstation, but runs multiple VMs (some are for my upcoming VCP exam next week, and some are "production" VMs that I never shut off.

Just the important specs:

2x Opteron HE 8346 quads
4x2GB PC2-5300 ECC Registered
6x320GB WD AAKS in RAID-5
1x 74GB 2.5" SAS 10k in Athena power 4-in-1 enclosure on an LSI 1068E SAS controller (second 74GB on the way...plans to go to 8 of these)
8800GTX with a GTX260 to be delivered tomorrow
Vista Ultimate x64 SP1
VMWare Workstation 6.5
2 virtualized ESX server, 1 iSCSI target VM, 1 VCServer VM, and ESX servers are hosting 4 double nested VMs themselves

Gaming, surfing, torrenting, main file server, VMs, HD content transcodes, etc. All in one Large Rocketfish full tower.

4 sticks of G.SKILL 2GB 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) for 8GB total on vista x64; mostly for vms, dual boxing on one box

My server has 8GB Patriot (4x2GB) memory. I use it for VMs. I have two running 24/7 and I add more VMs in as I need to for projects and/or testing. I bought it back when Fry's first had it on sale earlier this year.

8GB of Mushkin DDR2 800 at 3-3-3-9 as it's been since the day I installed it. I typically set aside 6GB for RAMdisk duties, sometimes I'll disable it for using that extra amount for 3D rendering as required, but more often than not the RAMdisk is there for many reasons: all system temp files of any kind are there, I run Firefox Portable off it and a lot of other applications too, all portable, the Photoshop scratchdisk sits on it (PS CS2), etc.

Just for shits and giggles I installed XP onto a 4GB virtual hard drive inside the RAMdisk once and ran the OS totally from RAM. Booted in about 4.6 seconds... fun stuff. :)

I've got 8Gb also. LOVE it. I can finally leave my virtual machine up for work while running other things (movies or games or even multiple VM's) with no lag at all.

I added some of my other ram to my HTPC so it has 6GB now.

i am liking the 8g more and more, , things seem smooth with no reboots since yesterday and i have iinstalled alot of apps so seems superfetch is workng well

4x2Gb DDR2-800 FB-Dimms here.
I'd have gone 16Gb but the Skulltrail chipset doesn't support that amount.

Luck ......... :D

I Went through 5-6 4GB kits of OCZ on first, an evga 680i and then an Abit P35 pro and ketp trashing one of the pairs. Didnt matter which slots, didnt matter which stick, it just wouldn't work.
Went with Patriot 4x2GB and have been running stable on the Abit board for over a year.
16GB or more next time around...
Why? Because I can :D

Asus P5Q - Dlx :)

Decided to go ahead and buy 8 gigs of G.Skill PC8000 ram while it was cheap, works like a charm.

I am basically using vista's hybrid sleep and with this much ram it comes up instantly. Good times.

BTDT, back to reality.

The system was:

2x Intel e5430's @ 3.2ghz
Intel D5400XS
4x2gb Kingston DDR2-800 FB-DIMM
2x 150gb Raptors
2x 8800GTX SLI.

8GB GSkill here (I see a pattern forming). When the 4GB sticks get to affordable, I'll replace and go to 16GB. I've been playing with a RAMDisk on Joe Average's advice, and it is wicked cool.

8GB Patroit here. Totally worth it for modeling. Modeling and texturing operations rack up history quicker than one would notice.

I decided to upgrade to 4x2GB OCZ DDR2-800 this week, seeing as I intend to keep this system for several years. I'm not sure if I'll need 8GB in the future, but considering how cheap DDR2 is now, it wasn't a particularly hard choice - and now I have over 6GB of Superfetch cache too.

I've run two systems with 8GB and honestly, I just can't see every going back to 4GB or less unless it was a mobo restriction. I've used AE CS3 and have seen ram usage hit 60% so I know the extra 4GB are being used, not to mention booting up with ram at 15% is just too cool. :p

Back