Official GTX 280/260 Cooling Thread

skadebo

[H]ard|Gawd
I haven't read any worthwhile information on the cooler mounting pattern for this card, anyone know? I wonder if an Accelero S1 base is large enough to cover the beast's die!

Guys, just so you know... you're gonna need AMBIENT temps of 30-35C inside your case in order for this GPU not to overheat. And you will need some pretty good airflow for that to happen.

Uhh russian, I highly, highly, doubt that statement is true. The vast majority of computer cases come with low powered (silent) fans, not screamers reminiscent of the 6000rpm Delta 80mm screamers used on heatsinks heh... I'd bet less than 1% of people considering buying GTX 280's have a computer case with an ambient temp of less than 35C. Thats just not realistic. If you're considering buying a GTX 280, you probably have a computer with at least 2 hard drives, a sound card, and at least 1 optical drive. These components produce heat, not to mention the GTX 280 itself.

Also I am not sure why it would be true given that the card doesn't seem to use a lot more power than an 8800.

Glad i ordered my mountain mods UFO case. I figure 12 yate loons should keep the air moving pretty well until such time as i switch over to water cooling :)

Meh my 8800gtx idle'd at 63 deg and hit 76 on most games..

Thermalright HR-03 + HR-11 it idles at 46 deg and gets up to 63 under full load hahaha..

Chips can handle it these days and with a bit of cooling they are fine

Guys, just so you know... you're gonna need AMBIENT temps of 30-35C inside your case in order for this GPU not to overheat. And you will need some pretty good airflow for that to happen.

I don't totally understand what you're saying. 30-35 seems pretty high, no? I got 25 degrees room temp in summer with an interior ambient of approximately 28-32. I don't see it getting much hotter than that.

Meh my 8800gtx idle'd at 63 deg and hit 76 on most games..

Thermalright HR-03 + HR-11 it idles at 46 deg and gets up to 63 under full load hahaha..

Chips can handle it these days and with a bit of cooling they are fine

hah, I guess I'm used to ATi as it's what I've been with until recently and I would idle mid-30s

Interesting. I wonder how you would know that kind of information.

Uhh russian, I highly, highly, doubt that statement is true. The vast majority of computer cases come with low powered (silent) fans, not screamers reminiscent of the 6000rpm Delta 80mm screamers used on heatsinks heh... I'd bet less than 1% of people considering buying GTX 280's have a computer case with an ambient temp of less than 35C. Thats just not realistic. If you're considering buying a GTX 280, you probably have a computer with at least 2 hard drives, a sound card, and at least 1 optical drive. These components produce heat, not to mention the GTX 280 itself.

I wouldn't 100% doubt him. He is a mod on the evga forums.

I wonder, though, whether a monster card like this, and others that will come after it, will require a tower type heatsink to keep it cool. Well, maybe not cool since these chips can handle a lot of heat, but cool enough at least for good overclocking.

This will probably be the largest graphics chip ever produced, so i highly doubt better cooling will ever be needed.

Back