Official EQNext Landmark Thread.

Anyone know exactly what the Zones mean as far as crafting? I was under the assumption that you had to change zones to mine even if you were crafting level one items? Wrong?

Could we get screenies in here? Especially the UI? I'm not willing to lay down my $$'s yet, but its looking mighty tempting. According to the first few google results, the NDA was lifted by Sony already.

Saw people playing this on Twitch, looks pretty interesting but $60 is pretty steep for Alpha access.

Anyway I asked this in the other thread, but I'll just post it here again since this is the appropriate thread for questions regarding Landmark. Hope someone can help me understand it, thanks.

I'm still confused about is how does Landmark fits into EQN. I've always thought that it's a temporary mini-game for us to try out the crafting and building feature of EQN while the actual EQN is in development. As far as I know, EQN will have these mining and building feature.

So what will happen to Landmark once EQN is done. Will our character and stuff gets transferred to EQN?
Or, if it continues to exist alongside EQN, then what purpose will Landmark serve?

EQN: the next EQ MMO as people would expect it.
Landmark: minecraft with MMO elements.

That is highly oversimplified but I can't think of a better way to explain with the information that's currently out there.
They are 2 different games really.

Finally got my saw and furnace built....It took me awhile to figure it all out.

EQN: the next EQ MMO as people would expect it.
Landmark: minecraft with MMO elements.

That is highly oversimplified but I can't think of a better way to explain with the information that's currently out there.
They are 2 different games really.

This is a good short and sweet explanation.

As far as what "transfers" from EQ:L to EQ:N so far the only thing we really know is having EQ:L will "unlock" the Adventurer class in EQ:N whatever that means. They also hinted at some other benefits for Founder's Pack purchasers, but they haven't decided what that will be.

EQ:L is a separate game entirely from EQ:N, but it uses the same engine an tools that SOE is using to make EQ:N. Part of the incentive to play EQ:L is that you can create game assets (buildings, funiture, etc) that you can then sell in the EQ:L store for real money and have a chance of SOE using your items in EQ:N. If they use your items in EQ:N supposedly you'll get some type of royalty or credit from it. If other players buy your items in the EQ:L store, you'd definitely get paid for that.

That's in addition to this game being Minecraft on steroids. Which for some people like myself, is reason enough to play the game.

The game right now is very incomplete but still fun enough to play. Currently materials are mined mostly on the surface. You just walk around and visually see the various ores and just strip mine.

In later versions, SOE plans to have most of the ore underneath the surface so you'll have to do some digging just to find it.

Right now the game is limited to 100 feet underground, but in the later/final version we'll be able to dig much deeper with a chance to run into underground caves an such, just like in Minecraft.

No one really knows how much NPC interaction SOE plans to have in EQ:L. I'm hoping for randon underground dungeons/caves as well as trolls and what not on the surface that can terrorize your creations like Creepers in Minecraft.

Voxels have a lot of potential. I like the fact that where I aim my pickaxe is where it actually mines the material. It's the most "realistic" mining experience for me so far. I also like the fact that the terrain is nice and smooth as a result of voxel. The scenery is fantastic even with the occasional glitches.

Is it worth $60/$100 for alpha access? That depends on how badly you want to play. The items certainly aren't worth it and you're not guaranteed constant play time. This is an alpha. We are the testers not players. With that understanding, I feel it was worth it for me. SOE is offering a refund for anyone that's not satisfied with the Alpha. So you really have nothing to lose.

I'm impressed so far with the communication process. It reminds me of Arenanet and GW2. They are quick to respond so far and they're clear on what they consider high priority items, fixes, and future features.

I think EQ:N is quite a ways out. Late 2015 or 2016 at the earliest. EQ:L, Wildstar Online, and Star Citizen will keep me busy this year.

Well my claim is gone. I know its Alpha but it's still frustrating. Right now I can't see the point in continuing if I have no where to build. Sigh.

Thought mine was lost also, but it was on a different shard. If you go to the big blue stone where you first logged in when new and click it, it will have a list of shards you can go to. Took a bit to find my original one, but when i did my claim was there. (Will say what shard your on also in the top left corner so easy to find next time)
Hope this helps...

It feels pretty self defeating to have multiple instances of the same area with different owners on the same plot of land. You'd think it would all just be one massive generated world.

Thought mine was lost also, but it was on a different shard. If you go to the big blue stone where you first logged in when new and click it, it will have a list of shards you can go to. Took a bit to find my original one, but when i did my claim was there. (Will say what shard your on also in the top left corner so easy to find next time)
Hope this helps...
Yeah mine was not listed anywhere I logged in the AM and they had a new server up. I made a new claim I'll see if its there later

Almost twenty four hours later and my claim is still intact. This weekend I will start building something.

So once this game is free and anybody can log in, create a char, and claim a plot...what if they quit playing? Will their plot come available after X amount of time? Otherwise won't large areas of land just become abandonded and unusable?

So how is it? Thinking about picking it up this weekend.

Well I spent so much time making and losing and then finding my claim that I havent done anything except basic crafting. This weekend I will start building something. For casual play, which is me I think I'll like it.

So once this game is free and anybody can log in, create a char, and claim a plot...what if they quit playing? Will their plot come available after X amount of time? Otherwise won't large areas of land just become abandonded and unusable?

You have to pay upkeep on your plot, if you don't log in you don't pay upkeep, and slowly your buildings deteriorate and get swallowed up by the earth until finally there is nothing left and your plot disappears, ready for someone else to claim.

So how is it? Thinking about picking it up this weekend.

My advice: wait. I just requested a refund and will wait to see .

Game runs like absolute ass on a 7970 / 4.7ghz 2500k. FPS spiking up and down from 60fps to 8 fps. Lots of crashing, soft locks, etc. Yes, it's an alpha, that will happen, but for $60 for a F2P game, it's not worth your time to dick around in alpha.

They way underestimated the space they would need so finding a place to build is almost impossible, and finding a place to build near the portal (so you don't have to run for 15 minutes to go back and forth to change worlds) is impossible. I was literally unable to build anything because I could not find a place to do so.

The game is far too grindy for being a sandbox building game. The amount of materials you need to build the tools to get higher end materials (repeat this cycle 4-5 times) is far too high. I don't mind some progression, but spending hours cutting down trees to build a slightly better pick axe sucks.

The game does not feel like a world. There are no player hubs, towns, cooperative building, etc. It's like a Minecraft server, except you can't build with or on other people's property, which really hurts the game. Players cannot setup towns or villages or anything like that. No roads.

I love the concept of the game, and I hope they can get it all turned around. For the time being, wait and see.

I love the concept of the game, and I hope they can get it all turned around. For the time being, wait and see.

Considering what you've experienced is the most basic state of the game with most of it's features and systems yet to be implemented I do think you won't need to hope for that.
Most of your concers are already being worked on, are being discussed or are on the roadmap.

Yes the price of entry was steep, the upshot for those who do love the concept and are willing to pay the ticket price is that they can give feedback in this early stage when not much is set in stone yet, it is in fact the best shot you have to get your voice heard and influence the direction of development.
Something you wouldn't be able to do in the typical product preview beta that is so common these days.

should we list our servers so we can find each other? How about a EQNHard group?

I'm just having fun building my tower with rooms and some decorations.. :)
Mindless, but still a fun way to relax after work.

I'm pretty excited for both EQN and Landmark for different reasons.... EQN for its soft faction pvp and voxel-based underground dungeons + npc factions and dynamic events, and Landmark for its (assuming they deliver) incredible building aspect and player-generated content potential + customizable ai and game rulesets for your plots that could give life to all kinds of ideas (build your own arena? keep siege area? dungeon with pvp? deathmatch area? just a dungeon period with some cool twists and clever npc placement? just a giant jumping puzzle up a giant tree city that extends high into the sky?). I'm going to be grabbing the $60 alpha pack tonight probably.

wonder how much money there will be to be made from this, and if alpha users will have any real advantage in that department.

Do know that i'm seeing a lot of building going on lately in my world...hehe
Not sure if it was there already at the start, but am able to make torches, chairs, tables and even a sifter (Gets a little metal or gems out of stone, sand or dirt).
In my case, i'm trying to make a 4-tower keep with rooms,decorations and etc; that is somewhat realistic.
Even have chimney vents for the furnace and crafting table. (Not that they actually work, but it's the principle of the thing) :p
I see some possibilities for this game for the minecraft-type crowd.

Yeah, there are some pretty amazing builds in there already, makes me feel bad about my own meager efforts at times :D

just finished my bronze pick...God the grind of gathering the materials is killing me.

I think the building is well thought out and fun in the game but currently that all there is in this game. It needs more coming down the pipe and really screams for me to defend my builds against onslaughts of nasty creatures and other players.

I didn't really think it was bad so far. I finished iron and starting on the next one.

It's not that bad, but when your claim is all the way at the edge of the map it makes portal running boring and exhausting. I'm hoping they at least have fast travel between claim/portal.

I don't have a forge or anything yet so I just run to nearby claims that do. They definitely need to allow porting between claim and portal though.

There definitely needs to be some towns and NPCs. Just a mishmash of player created stuff won't really work long term.

I mean...the amount you have to collect to just make "block" for your house is insane. Thousands and thousands of stone, sand ect and you go back to your build and get like ten blocks.

Back