Official Dell u2413 Thread

Update -- after using the monitor for about 6 hours today (or maybe I didn't notice at first,) the bottom right (where the most light bleed is) has about the size of a US quarter pinkish hue -- and the top left, has a thin sliver line, about 5 inches long, of pink tinting (on a white background)

Last edited:
One More Update :) I sent a request to Dell to replace this unit for a new one today -- should be getting it sometime next week. I'll update this post with another review. Just one thing though, I don't expect the inverse ghosting issue to go away, although, it can be minimize with adjusted brightness/contrast at the expense of color accuracy. The issues which were a complete deal breaker were: really bad bleeding (bottom right/left and top left) and pink tint.

Damn. Where can we find a good 24 inch monitor(1920x1200)! Maybe the new BenQ? Maybe the new Asus?

Good question. You'd have to go back in time to 2006 ... it seems like the pinnacle of LCD tech was during that year with the models in production (along with QA standards,) IMHO, it's been all downhill since then -- it's now a race to good enough, rather than producing excellent quality monitors. We have the technology and know how, but it's about giving the tolerable, not the best, to make a bigger profit and to some degree, to stay alive as a profitable company. The way I see it, back in 2006, the market was ripe, everyone switching to LCD from CRTs -- competition to produce the best monitors was in full swing. Now that the market is saturated, it's all about good enough. If I would've known now what I know, I would've have bought 3 or 4 more 2405FPW's. They literally don't make them like they use to, even my old-tech CRT's still work great, in particular, my Hitachi SuperScan Elite 751 back from 1998. I think the focus is more on LCD/LED TV's, not monitors today, and that will change, if not now, soon....

Getting back to the Dell U2413 -- does anyone else have this model and notice any tinting issues and/or bad back-lighting issues?

Also, Dell is going to lose money on this deal, esp. if I return both (return shipping paid by them.) What if Dell offered a "Premium Panel" deal to the people in Production and QA? For every unit sold and kept, they get a commission on top of their base salary? Wouldn't that be a good incentive, rather than putting that money into the pockets of UPS for no good reason? We all win, with everyone getting something out of it?

Update: Dell sent the monitor replacement within 2 days by fedex. Terrific customer service, but poor QC with LG or whoever is responsible for putting these panels together. Anyways, the final verdict is that the replacement monitor is also being returned. The new unit, while it has great back lighting, it now has pink on the bottom right and green on the bottom left. Even if Dell were to offer another replacement, tint free, the back light problem could resurface. I think I'm going to wait a year and try again. But be warned, if you buy the U2413 and get a 5 year warranty, you may just get the Christmas themed display I'm returning -- and they wont allow to you return that one because it's within spec.

It does! I'm not blaming Dell totally, they are not manufacturing it, but they really should contractually obligate and spec the monitor for all n-inches you paid for, not just the center 2 inches:

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/peripherals/f/3529/t/19269971.aspx

But I guess if they did do that, price would commensurate with yield, then we are looking at potentially double the current MSRP price, which is fine, as long as they guarantee the entire monitor, not a 2" circle!!!

I will say this though...if it wasn't for the tint, and the back light bleeding, this would be a terrific display worthy of the "Ultrasharp" branding. The AG coating is perfect, the colors/sharpness are great, a vast variety of inputs, and it's a 24" 1920x1200 resolution monitor which is rare today. The inverse ghosting is still a problem, and Dell will not fix that -- they stated in their forum they will not have a firmware update for it (RTC/Overdrive option to turn off or to at least lower it) -- you can manipulate the brightness/contrast to mediate the ghosting effect, but then you'll lose color fidelity, which is one of the main reasons to buy this particular model.

Last edited:
Is this a decent price with tax and everything for one of these?

3 Year Warranty - $1160 shipped
5 year Warranty - $1197 shipped

Still cannot seem to find a good 24 inch monitor.. I am debating weather or not to buy this and try one out...

So my debate is:
Really want a 24 inch but i might step up to the u2713hm...

Dell U2413
Dell U2713HM
ASUS PA249

Matt, according to Chris-M on the Dell forums, the Uxx13 series will have the inverse ghosting issue and there are no plans to fix/mediate that with a firmware update and possibly tinting issues. My suggestion is, try the Dell size you really want (24 or 27) when they have the best price offer and the free shipping (including free return shipping AND no restocking fee, like when I bought mine.) If you get a dud, or if you just don't like it, all you have to do is ship it back. You really can't go wrong with that, and it will ease your mind with the "should've" thoughts -- you'll now have your definitive answer based on your own first hand experience. My suggestion, take photos when opening the box and unpacking, it'll make life a lot easier if you want to send it back.

Matt, according to Chris-M on the Dell forums, the Uxx13 series will have the inverse ghosting issue and there are no plans to fix/mediate that with a firmware update and possibly tinting issues. My suggestion is, try the Dell size you really want (24 or 27) when they have the best price offer and the free shipping (including free return shipping AND no restocking fee, like when I bought mine.) If you get a dud, or if you just don't like it, all you have to do is ship it back. You really can't go wrong with that, and it will ease your mind with the "should've" thoughts -- you'll now have your definitive answer based on your own first hand experience. My suggestion, take photos when opening the box and unpacking, it'll make life a lot easier if you want to send it back.

Thanks for the info. I heard the HM mode is much better for Inverse ghosting issues and input lag issues. Its the Pro models that are the real issues like the u2413 and u2713. That's what makes me want to try the u2713hm. The inverse ghosting issue makes me not want to go with the H models and get a 2713hm(no new 2413hm) .

You're welcome and good luck! I got my 3rd replacement monitor today -- same issue, pink on the bottom right and green on the bottom left -- but much lighter this time, although, the bottom right (where the pink is) has a slight dark spot. Changing modes / color temps seems to get rid of the color for a few seconds, but then the tinting comes back again. I've noticed that on all three monitors, white no matter what you do, really doesn't look white -- it has a weird color to it, I mean it's white, but it's "splotchy," with some areas looking darker and lighter and very faintly tinted greenish / pinkish when looked at on at an angle. I have the S2740L and the S2240M, both which show white as white, no tinting and nearly perfect backlighting with no dark spots. The S2240M does have a lot of IPS glow on black on an angle, but I don't care about that. The S2740L has a barely noticeable glow on black at an angle. The U2413's have a greenish glow, with two out of three units being less glowful.

Addendum: Like it matters anyways, but during packing all three of these monitors, I noticed that the first monitor was badly scratched on the underneath of the bottom bezel. The last two replacements had scratches in the same upper right of the bezel frame. I can only assume this happened during the handling when the units were being calibrated -- all three boxes where packed differently as well. All are Rev 01, Feb 2013.

Anyways, this is it for me with this unit and this thread. Good luck to anyone getting this unit.

Last edited:
adobepro ... thanks for sharing your experience. It reminds me of my own ordeal with HP LP2475w (also LG IPS panel), which I had to exchange 5 TIMES! Most of them had pink / green tinting from right to left side of the screen. Sounds like LG minimized the tinting issue to just the bottom corners now. Still, that's not acceptable.

Yikes2000, you're welcome and thanks for sharing your unfortunate experience. I think I'm going to buy one more S2740L and be done with getting a wide-gamut monitor.

About the monitor damage, I'm going to take pics of the damage to the monitors in case they said I did it. I was 100% careful with these, and actually used medical gloves to prevent fingerprints all over the units when handling them.

I completely agree about the tinting, even if they got it down to the bottom corners. I even noted this on Dell suggesting that the corners are being "pinched" by the bezel and maybe that's why you get the color tint? Like gently touching a monitor, it'll change colors on the area that pressure is applied to. I noticed this because I noticed that the frame bezel in the center bottom/top/left/right are bulged out -- which concerned me about dust intrusion, where there's no tint. Now, on the top corners, there's a little gap between the bezel and screen (which I think is by design specification,) but the bottom corners seem to pinch together (very close, the bezel and screen,) which is where the tinting is occurring. I don't think the bezel really fits the frame properly. Maybe it's coincidence? I don't know, but I don't want to mess around with the frame bezel and damage the units. Anways, I posted this on the Dell forum, but no response.

Can you turn off the power led light on the U2413?

Does anyone have experience comparing this with the U2410? I have two U2410 and am planning on getting a third but wanted to wait till Christmas time. Now that they have been discontinued I am thinking I should get one now before they are no longer available.

If I wait and get the U2413 later (and use as my center screen) does anyone think that there will be a noticable difference in the image quality across the three monitors.

Just for reference, the U2413 can be overclocked to a whopping 62 Hz. At 63 Hz and higher it drops frames even though it will accept a higher frequency.

Awesome AR film on these. If you didn't know, once you rotate the monitor to portrait the on-screen display also rotates. Very neat feature!

Hi,
I search a polyvalent monitor (photo/gaming) in 24 with light AG coating.
There is no solution at this time as i read on multiple forum, EV2436 seems great but AG Coating is hard :/

I see on dell forum some users which say that rev 02 could probably resolve the problem of inverse ghostig on gaming mode on U2413, someone can confirm thie information here ?

I'm really liking the U2413, however....

When I purchased I didn't have USB 3.0, only 2.0. All four of the USB slots on the screen worked fine.:)

Then I installed a UtechSmart PCI-E to USB 3.0 expansion card and plugged the screen usb cable into the Utech USB card, and all kinds of problems started. :(

Basically, the PCI-E USB 3.0 slots work fine directly from the card, but the computer crashes wildly when I plug the monitor into the USB card and then plug things into the USB slots on the monitor. A 3.0 memory stick works very intermitantly, while plugging in the Logitech camera/mic causes an instant Blue Screen of Death.:mad:

The monitor is Rev 0.0, manufactured in April, 2013. Everything else seems perfectly fine, only this problem with the USB 3.0. I'm running Win 7/ 64bit on an HP Pavillion that's about 4 years old.

Any suggestions out there? Is there a particular brand of PCI-E/USB3 card that works best with the U2413? Is it a problem with the firmware of the monitor?:confused:

Dell does not consider the overshoot/inverse ghosting an issue. The game mode has locked color settings & uses the displays native, wide gamut=inaccurate & over-saturated colors for games.

The Asus PA249Q has the same light coating as the Dell & does not suffer from overshoot ghosting, nor does the NEC P242W

It seems the Asus PA249Q is not a good choice for game and for photo if i see the recent review of prad : http://www.prad.de/new/monitore/test/2013/test-asus-pa249q-teil11.html#Fazit

Rest the Eizo ..

Are the USB3 ports working as USB3 or only USB2?

My ports are working, but only at USB2 speeds. And Windows 7 x64 Pro recognizes the ports only as USB2 when I look in Device Manager. (same result on 3 different computers). And when I use the card reader I get the message: this device would perform better if connected to a high speed usb3 port.

does anyone have the Dell U2413 Rev A03 ?

I would like to know if it solves the issues of

- ghosting
- overdrive overshooting

i haven't seen much reviews on this other than some general post that hint it may have been fixed. so now i'm unsure :(

Dell confirmed they would never change the overdrive in the forums last year. This monitor is only useful when calibrated and used for work with color managed programs. There are multiple superior and cheaper 1920x1200 monitors available for general use.

Best 1920x1200, LED PWM Dimming Free (Side Effects) IPS panels:

Use Google or Chrome to translate the reviews.

Asus PB248QE: Matte PRAD, =DEAD= and ExtraHardware CZ Reviews.

Asus VS24AH-P & AL: Matte =DEAD='s VS24AH Review & PRAD's Review (this version has a height adjustable stand). The VS24AHL has a height adjustable stand.

BenQ BL2411PT: Matte (thread with reviews and user reports)

HP Z24i: Semi-Glossy (Thread with Reviews and user experiences). The Z24i commonly suffers from color and brightness uniformity issues.

NEC P242W: Semi-Glossy. My Review and PRAD's Review.

Samsung S24A850D: Semi-Glossy. Albovin's, =DEAD='s & Extrahardware CZ Reviews. Launch units commonly suffered from back-lit bleeding.

The Asus PB248Q (not available in North America), BenQ BL2411PT, NEC P242W and Samsung S24A850D can scale 16:9 signals properly when connected to an external device like a console while the VS24AH can't. The VS24AH is the best choice for PC-only use while the S24A850D and NEC P242W are the best all-around monitors, but both are expensive and the P242W has a frame of input lag and is a waste of money unless calibrated with NEC's Spectraview Kit.

Dell confirmed they would never change the overdrive in the forums last year. This monitor is only useful when calibrated and used for work with color managed programs. There are multiple superior and cheaper 1920x1200 monitors available for general use.

Best 1920x1200, LED PWM Dimming Free (Side Effects) IPS panels:

Use Google or Chrome to translate the reviews.

Asus PB248QE: Matte PRAD, =DEAD= and ExtraHardware CZ Reviews.

Asus VS24AH-P & AL: Matte =DEAD='s VS24AH Review & PRAD's Review (this version has a height adjustable stand). The VS24AHL has a height adjustable stand.

BenQ BL2411PT: Matte (thread with reviews and user reports)

HP Z24i: Semi-Glossy (Thread with Reviews and user experiences). The Z24i commonly suffers from color and brightness uniformity issues.

NEC P242W: Semi-Glossy. My Review and PRAD's Review.

Samsung S24A850D: Semi-Glossy. Albovin's, =DEAD='s & Extrahardware CZ Reviews. Launch units commonly suffered from back-lit bleeding.

The Asus PB248Q (not available in North America), BenQ BL2411PT, NEC P242W and Samsung S24A850D can scale 16:9 signals properly when connected to an external device like a console while the VS24AH can't. The VS24AH is the best choice for PC-only use while the S24A850D and NEC P242W are the best all-around monitors, but both are expensive and the P242W has a frame of input lag and is a waste of money unless calibrated with NEC's Spectraview Kit.

thx for the recommendations but my requirements are a bit more specific.

Actually i was looking for a monitor along these lines

1. ah-ips
2. 14-bit LUT hardware calibration supported preferably.
3. has displayport and hdmi (although as along as either is available, is fine)
4. 10bit (8bit+ frc is fine)
5. GB-r-LED backlighting
6. 24'' preferably (although i can consider other sizes at most up to 27'' only)
7. wide screen with wide gamut preferably (but will consider other options)
8. monitor to watch 1080p content. Either a resolution of 1920x1200 or 1900x1080 is fine. 16:10, 16:9 either is fine)
9. height adjustability, swivel, pivot ...... (kinda spoiled on these features ever since i got my first lcd the dell 2405 FPW years back)
10 flicker free (i get headaches when PWM is used. But these GB-r monitors seem to mostly use it, so i'll probably have to make some concession here assuming the frequency is high enough, or that it uses some sort of hybrid dc with pwm to be more manageable)

Or simply put, just a AH-IPS monitor 24'' preferably with GB-R led backlighting for pc gaming purposes as well as watching 10bit anime content.

Shortlisted from this panel list
zS4372y.jpg

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/articles/monitor_panel_parts.htm

Was hoping for either the CG247 or CX241 and hoping that it would still be more or less okay for casual gaming, but the price point is out of my budget. Eizo's new FS2434 is nice and hard to complain cause it's got AH-IPS, though i wouldn't have minded either a 10bit panel with the newer GB-R Led backlight for nicer colors.

So i guess looking for something with better specs between the FS2434 and the CX241 range, but within my budget , if such a product segment exists :{

The BenQ PG2401PT came close, i read that it couldn't adjust brightness low enough for my dark environment, so i will definitely get eye strain under those condition. It too was mentioned to have overshooting issues, and would have maybe taken a few revisions to see if that was fixed. Not sure i can wait to see that long.

The Dell U2414H seems to be a direct competitor for the new upcoming Eizo FS2434, which would be a ah-ips panel for gaming. Sounds great and i'm sure it is, but i needed something more premium above it. I probably would have settled for either had it not also been 16:9 which from the comparisons between that and 16:10 that i'm use to, i'd just probably not like that. The black bars don't bother me, and i do enjoy the working space on desktop, as well as in games. Also i wanted to upgrade from 8bit to 10bit; didn't really feel like getting stuck on 8bit yet again X_X: Most people wouldn't have minded these things but it did for me >_<: Other than those small quibbles of mine, it would appear that for the average joe who wants a ah-ips for gaming and general media usage, these 2 are good even affordable choices.

Anyway that is why i finally settled on the Dell U2413 hoping that Rev A03 had fixed the issues. Was wanting someone with this actual revision to provide some feedback on their experience with it.

By the way trying to replace my old Hp lp2475w (ah-ips panel) without taking a downgrade in the process
http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/hp_lp2475w.htm

My LP2475W in reviews is said to suffer from inverse ghosting, so as long 2413 is not worse than this, i could live with that :X But if worse comes to shove, i'll try get a refund if it doesn't work out. As long as i know what to look out for and test for myself :x

Last edited:
NCX this was the post i was referring to

U2413 part number FJMKT has revisions A00, A01, A02
A00 = Initital release
A01 = LCD panel version number change
A02 = corrected the inverse ghosting due to too much response time compensation overdrive and USB 3.0 issues
* We received word that the factory is not changing the PPID serial number label. They are fixing them on their end but it cost too much to generate the new labels. All New U2413 purchases regardless of the revision on the label should have the internal A02 fixes. All Used/Refurbished U2413 Dell Outlet purchases regardless of the revision on the label should also have the internal A02 fixes. Of course, none of the resellers will have these fixed monitors

U2413 part number XTXXK A00 (4/15/13)
A00 = Part number XTXXK includes all of the fixes in the old part number FJMKT, A00/A01/A02. Of course, none of the resellers will have these fixed monitors
Source:
http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/peripherals/f/3529/t/19532239.aspx
http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/peripherals/f/3529/t/19526533.aspx

We cannot pick a specific revision number when exchanging. But, the newest one released in April 2013 is a new part number, XTXXK, and it is A00. The old part number, FJMKT, has revisions A00, A01, A02. So you do have the newest version (May 2013). We cannot speak to apple proprietary hardware and software because we do not test on it.

The displays team said that when ordering New from the Dell Sales site, it defaults to the new part number XTXXK. Now the Dell Outlet is a problem. You do not get to choose, you get the next one in the queue.
Source:
http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/peripherals/f/3529/p/19523067/20484768.aspx#20484768

By the way is there a A03 ? or is A02 the latest ?

Last edited:
Most consumer media is 8 bit and uses the REC 709 or sRGB color space. GB-R backlit monitors IPS glow is considerably more obvious when viewed head on than standard gamut monitors (W-LED). The Dell forum post I read about the overshoot was from June 2013, nice find.

A AMD Firepro or Nvidia Quaddro gpu are required to display 10 bit content, which is only suoported by a few programs like Photoshop.

The FS2434 will be good, but expensive and not worth the premium over the 16:10 monitors I recommended (they also have better colors than the U2414H) since the LP2475 is slow and mediocre by comparison.

Last edited:
Most consumer media is 8 bit and uses the REC 709 or sRGB color space. GB-R backlit monitors IPS glow is considerably more obvious when viewed head on than standard gamut monitors (W-LED). The Dell forum post I read about the overshoot was from June 2013, nice find.

Most of the media i watch is 10bit encoded anime.

A AMD Firepro or Nvidia Quaddro gpu are required to display 10 bit content, which is only suoported by a few programs like Photoshop.

Would a consumer grade GTX 680 qualify ? I really am not sure on this :confused:

The FS2434 will be good, but expensive and not worth the premium over the 16:10 monitors I recommended (they also have better colors than the U2414H) since the LP2475 is slow and mediocre by comparison.

You nailed this on the spot. FS2434 and U2414H are generally good in most areas particularly for gaming. But for a more premium and better value you are right there are better alternatives, but it's kinda hard to spot.

Yeah i too am in favor of 16:10 as well :D

LP2475W probably isn't the greatest for competitive gaming. But i did notice coming from a CRT to a Dell 2405FPW for the first time, it greatly impacted my counter strike ability. It does have a big impact on my gaming performance :{ like you die more cause you can't respond equally against others.

I just found a user review of the latest Dell U2413 XTXXK, Rev 00, and they show with video proof that it still has ghosting issues o_o;
http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/peripherals/f/3529/t/19536491.aspx
http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/peripherals/f/3529/t/19577432.aspx

and that is even after following the dell reps guide to set the monitor ..... this is a bit much especially on this type of monitor..

uh.... so anyway i can get dell to refund ? Hasn't shipped to me yet o-o;
Q Can I Cancel My order?
A If you have ordered a Dell system:

It&#8217;s only possible to cancel your order before we start to manufacture it. To check if it&#8217;s still possible to cancel
your order, please go to the Dell Order Status tool.

If your order is listed as &#8220;Order received&#8221;, &#8220;Order Processing&#8221; or &#8220;Work In Progress&#8221; , you may still be able to cancel your
order &#8211; please inform us right away by filling in the web form* below.

If your order has passed &#8220;In Production&#8221; or &#8220;Shipped&#8221; it&#8217;s no longer possible to cancel it. However, after you
receive delivery of your order, you still have the option to return it to Dell within 7 days from receipt of order.

Unless the product is defective or the return is a direct result of a Dell error, a collection fee will apply to cover
the costs for return. For more information about Dell&#8217;s return policy click here.

What do you think about this one Asus PA249Q. It's a direct competitor to the Dell U2413 but i heard it doesn't have the same ghosting/overshooting issues.

Last edited:
Most of the media i watch is 10bit encoded anime.

It's encoded to improve the quality and then scaled by the media player. It's not actually meant to be watched by people with true 10 bit monitors who own the appropriate gpu's, especially when most people watching it likely own 6 bit +FRC TN's.

Seriously, forget about the BITS. It's not something you should worry about. No offense (you didn't make the monitor), but the LP2475 sucks compared to most modern monitors. It uses a grainy matte coating, has poor black levels and inaccurate color presets, plus it is wide gamut and the sRGB mode doesn't work.

Would a consumer grade GTX 680 qualify ? I really am not sure on this :confused:

No.

What do you think about this one Asus PA249Q. It's a direct competitor to the Dell U2413 but i heard it doesn't have the same ghosting/overshooting issues.

It has slow pixel response times for an AHVA/IPS/PLS panel and the sRGB mode has locked color controls. A decent non-wide gamut monitor always has better colors vs. the sub 1000$ wide gamut monitors sRGB modes which always have locked color controls. GBR-LED back-lit IPS glow is also worse than the standard gamut monitors, which makes them inferior for movies unless you want to sit around 90cm/3ft away from a 24."

The BL2411PT can get equally as dim (100cdm/2) as the LP2475 @ 0% brightness according to TFT Central's review. The S24A850D can dim down to 70cdm/2 and it uses a cross-hatching free, semi-glossy coating like the wide PA249Q and U2413H. If you are really worried about using low brightness, put a <10$ 6500K/Daylight LED 800 lumen LED light behind your monitors since most dim down to 100cdm/2.

Last edited:
No offense (you didn't make the monitor), but the LP2475 sucks compared to most modern monitors. It uses a grainy matte coating, has poor black levels and inaccurate color presets, plus it is wide gamut and the sRGB mode doesn't work.

No offense taken. Honestly i'm not too sure about the coatings. I'd imagine it's something like how i see light being reflected so much in my laptop that i can see myself in the mirror. I hardly am bothered by anything like on the LP2475W, maybe i didn't look too closely. But if i'm not mistaken i think my old 2405FPW had cross hatching, so i think i'm familiar with that is, and yeah i didn't like that one bit >_>:

i did notice ips glow, but that didn't really bother me because i understood ips had this issue. Only the rare monitors with the now extinct polarizers were rescued from it. But manufacturers don't want to give users this luxury for some reason :mad:

But now your saying GB-r has even worse ips glow, that makes me wonder :eek:

It has slow pixel response times for an AHVA/IPS/PLS panel and the sRGB mode has locked color controls. A decent non-wide gamut monitor always has better colors vs. the sub 1000$ wide gamut monitors sRGB modes which always have locked color controls. GBR-LED back-lit IPS glow is also worse than the standard gamut monitors, which makes them inferior for movies unless you want to sit around 90cm/3ft away from a 24."

The BL2411PT can get equally as dim (100cdm/2) as the LP2475 @ 0% brightness according to TFT Central's review. The S24A850D can dim down to 70cdm/2 and it uses a cross-hatching free, semi-glossy coating like the wide PA249Q and U2413H. If you are really worried about using low brightness, put a <10$ 6500K/Daylight LED 800 lumen LED light behind your monitors since most dim down to 100cdm/2.

Yeah with the LP2475W still feels too bright for me even at lowest brightness. I use a EyeOneDisplay 2 calibrator, so i set to the usual calibration settings, but the optimal brightness was too bright :/ or maybe i calibrated wrongly.

CCFL more heat more bright to burn out eyes x_x; so i figured i'd go led backlight (even though people say CCFL has better whites). Then came along GB-R which also had better colors, not to mention better for eyes as well.

Though i wouldn't mind either gb-r or w-led, as long as it were ah-ips ;) n the other stuff i needed.

For the room led did you mean this ? or is there something else i can setup easier like a wall attachment. I don't really want to light the whole room, just the immediate area just behind my monitor like you suggested.
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Cree-60W...b-6-Pack-BA19-08050OMF-12DE26-2U100/204084368

This 10$ Philips light is sufficient. I forgot that most of the LED lights are 5000k while the CFL Daylight lights are 6500k. 4-pack of 6500k Philips CFL's for 9$. I prefer the Philips CFL's over the 5000k LED lights.

The only time one should buy a GB-R back-lit monitors is if they specifically need a wide gamut monitor for work since they are almost always worse than the cheaper standard gamut monitors for multi-media use.

If you can stand VA gamma shift, a VA panel might be a better choice for watching stuff since they have much deeper black levels. Best Reviewed VA Panel Thread.

I have a problem with the audio out 3.5mm jack on my unit. The sound quality is poor, and there is hissing.

I tried this via DP with my PC, and then I tried it via HDMI with a console. Both have the same problem.

I was using headphones. Quality headphones though.

Is this normal, or do I have a faulty unit? I'm happy with the picture quality, but the sound is important to me.

I don't have a Dell soundbar. Should I get one, and use the audio out from that instead? Will it improve things if the monitor's own audio out is already poor?

The shielding on the audio out is probably junk. Might just as well plug it directly into your PC.

Will it be improved if I get the soundbar and use the audio out jacks on that thing instead? Or will it still pass through the same circuitry within the monitor somewhere, or the "shielding" and end up sounding the same?

So is every unit like this, or is mine faulty? I don't mind buying the soundbar if it will fix the problem.

I am playing my consoles through it, so I need to use the audio capabilities of the monitor which has no built in speakers.

One more reason to boycott consoles.

Or will it still pass through the same circuitry within the monitor somewhere, or the "shielding" and end up sounding the same?

I would expect so yeah. I never had a soundbar on any of my five Dell monitors.

So is every unit like this, or is mine faulty? I don't mind buying the soundbar if it will fix the problem.

I wouldn't know. All I know is that audio is often something were costs are cut. My $2K Thinkpad on it's $150 dock produces absolute junk on the jack out on the dock. Same with a lot of computer cases: they are too cheap to reasonably shield the cable going to the front jacks... sometimes meaning you will get noise regardless of using these ports.

Ok got it today ran some tests.

No dead pixels.

yes overshoot was observed but using the UFO test
http://www.blurbusters.com/faq/lcd-overdrive-artifacts/

and when scrolling you can see white halos on the text.

Played Dota2 and watch some movies, played Diablo 3, watch the cinematies ingame but i don't perceived anything that would be due to overshoot. Or did i miss what i was suppose to be looking for ? any tips for checking this.

I took a camera picture from my phone in a dark environment, on a pure black background image. In the camera it shows brightness on bottom left and right. The bottom left is not that noticeable at all. But the bottom right though is very noticeable as being brighter than the rest of the screen. Is this what is called back light bleed or is that a uniformity issue ?

http://i.imgur.com/gd6Dl5I.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/XT8yrlB.jpg

Eitherway is it serious enough for me to ask Dell for a replacement ? Or should i try the unformity correction feature at 50% brightness first to see if that fixes it ? Also do i need a calibrator before i can use the UC, or will it work correctly without first being calibrated ? Well i tried UC but i don't think it fixed that. Also it is not an option for gaming preset, which could be problematic :{

Also how do i access the service menu on this monitor to check the firmware version and panel ?

Last edited:
Back