Official Dell 2407WFP Thread - Reviews, Revisions, Screenies

K10 said:
yep, that's how it works. although, it wouldn't hurt to stress to the dell rep that you want a new one.

Will do, thanks mate :). Would you also happen to know if refurbished stock commonly houses monitors with dead pixels? :eek:

Cheers mate :)

Hi guys, i'm interested in this monitor so i sit down and read all 33 pages of this thread and i must say i'm a little confused with this HD story.I'm not interested in XBOX or PS3, i just want to plug it in my PC for Gaming and Watching DVD's.So one simple question: if i buy a bluray or hd-dvd for my pc, will this monitor play 1080p dvd movies?

Thanks a lot guys.

Varsos said:
Hi guys, i'm interested in this monitor so i sit down and read all 33 pages of this thread and i must say i'm a little confused with this HD story.I'm not interested in XBOX or PS3, i just want to plug it in my PC for Gaming and Watching DVD's.So one simple question: if i buy a bluray or hd-dvd for my pc, will this monitor play 1080p dvd movies?

Thanks a lot guys.
Yes it will. If you try to play a disc with HDCP (most of them) then your graphics card will need to support HDCP along with the cable (if you use a digital cable) connecting the graphics card to the PC. If you use a VGA cable to connect your graphics card to your computer however you may not need an HDCP compatible graphics card, anyone else know if this is the case?

artmonkey said:
Yes it will. If you try to play a disc with HDCP (most of them) then your graphics card will need to support HDCP along with the cable (if you use a digital cable) connecting the graphics card to the PC. If you use a VGA cable to connect your graphics card to your computer however you may not need an HDCP compatible graphics card, anyone else know if this is the case?

Thanks a lot, i aready have 7950GT SLI which support HDCP.Monday morning i expect a phonecall from Dells sales manager in Greece to tell me if the revision is A03 and if it is my pocket will be wide open.(here in Greece we pay 1024 euros for that monitor).

Again thanks a lot guys.

I'm having a really hard time picking between Dell, Benq, and Gateway 24" monitors. I'd like to eliminate one of them off my list if possible.

I'm not an xbox owner so if there are any problems on that front, that doesn't apply in my decision making.

Are there any problems in terms of just using it as a Desktop monitor? I think I remember reading about banding issues, I really have no idea what that is since noone replied to my lat question about it, but I'll just assume its bad. Then possible backlighting problems, but then what LCD doesn't suffer from that.

I find it hard to believe that noone here has tried hooking up this monitor to cabletv HD cable box to test out the components... everyone here is just xbox xbox xbox box... This is the other 50% of my buying decision, if this monitor can take in an HD signal via components from an HD cable box and display the video correctly with the black bars at the top and bottom in 1:1.

My current display is a Dell 2005FPW

Hello unimatrixzer0,

I am also trying to make the same decision as you. I'm not going to be using it for desktop use, but 90% of my use will basically be 'desktop' in the sense that I will have it hooked to my HTPC via the DVI port.

I have heard nothing bad about the Dell (or really the BenQ or Gateway either) for desktop use via their DVI ports (well, maybe the banding). I suspect that they are all fairly similar in this regard. I would really be curious if any one of them is better if people have compared them.

Banding is basically when a smooth gradient is on screen, and you see 'steps' to it, rather than perfectly smooth shade change (if the source image is perfectly smooth). I believe that in the later revisions of the Dell, this is gone or very slight. From what I have read, you would probably only even notice this or mind if you were a photographer or graphic artist. For the typical computer user or for games and movies, this is probably not a huge deal. (and, probably a major deal for a graphic artist... so I understand the fuss.)

I agree on the Component inputs. I guess it is really important for the PS2/PS3 or XBox owners, but I'd like to see some other sources tested... like you say, an HDTV cable box or an HD-DVD payer or something like that. I have also been struggling to figure out of the issue is with these LCDs or with the XBox, as many of the displays seem to have XBox owners complaining.

So far... from all the thread reading I've done, I get the impression that the BenQ might be the best, but is also quite a bit more expensive. The Gateway and Dell seem to be quite close, with the Gateway maybe even having a bit of an edge... and its cheaper! However, I do like the looks of the Dell physically compared to the other two.

-Steve

Where should I buy this monitor from. Dell direct or some online store (OCUK). Dell has it cheaper though in UK at the mo.

rezza said:
Where should I buy this monitor from. Dell direct or some online store (OCUK). Dell has it cheaper though in UK at the mo.

One word - Ebay £474, dead pixel guarantee and 5 year NBD warranty.

Couple of different sellers, pretty similar. All their details ae on the auctions mate. PM them, they are pretty helpful.

Hi,

My friends brought his Xbox 360 this afternoon and we hooked it up on the components inputs of my 2407.
Long before I bought my monitor I knew there were bad reviews about the components inputs, that the display was blurry and too dark, etc...
We setted up the Xbox 360 in 1080i and we remarked that the screen was flickering in the Xbox default menu... it looked like the display was in 50Hz, maybe because it was a PAL Xbox 360 and 50Hz is the default here (not sure of that though).

When we launched Gears of War, I fear during the loading that the image would look crappy, like all the reviews said... but none of that happened, the game was pretty sharp and nothing seems to be blurry at all. I was pretty surprised I must say.
Then we played PES6 ("Winning Eleven International" in the US I guess), and same thing here, sharp graphics, nothing blurry... The only thing I remarked playing this game, was a little "lag" in the display (like when you play VSync OFF in a FPS, a part of the screen is not synchronised with the rest), but I guess this is the console's fault on this one.

Before trying an Xbox 360 on my 2407 I was playing my Wii on it, plugged on components inputs too. The picture was kind of blurry (and a little bit dark but this was quickly fixed in the monitor options), but since it was 480p stretched to fill in 1200, I wanted to have a "real" next-gen console to fully test my monitor.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not payed by Dell to post here :p, but I'd like to know if someone with a A03 Rev, an Xbox 360 with both Component and VGA cables could take pictures of the rendering with both cables (and if possible on the same "moment" of the game), so I could really realize what the problem is. Because I don't think I have the only A03 monitor with good component display... :D

(and excuse me if there are any mistakes, I'm French)

skane said:
Any reports of buzzing/noise problems on the A03 2407's?

I sent back my 2405fpw because of buzzing and they sent me an A03 2407 in return.... No buzzing or any noise problems that plagued my 2405

MickBim said:
Hi,

My friends brought his Xbox 360 this afternoon and we hooked it up on the components inputs of my 2407.
Long before I bought my monitor I knew there were bad reviews about the components inputs, that the display was blurry and too dark, etc...
We setted up the Xbox 360 in 1080i and we remarked that the screen was flickering in the Xbox default menu... it looked like the display was in 50Hz, maybe because it was a PAL Xbox 360 and 50Hz is the default here (not sure of that though).

When we launched Gears of War, I fear during the loading that the image would look crappy, like all the reviews said... but none of that happened, the game was pretty sharp and nothing seems to be blurry at all. I was pretty surprised I must say.
Then we played PES6 ("Winning Eleven International" in the US I guess), and same thing here, sharp graphics, nothing blurry... The only thing I remarked playing this game, was a little "lag" in the display (like when you play VSync OFF in a FPS, a part of the screen is not synchronised with the rest), but I guess this is the console's fault on this one.

Before trying an Xbox 360 on my 2407 I was playing my Wii on it, plugged on components inputs too. The picture was kind of blurry (and a little bit dark but this was quickly fixed in the monitor options), but since it was 480p stretched to fill in 1200, I wanted to have a "real" next-gen console to fully test my monitor.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not payed by Dell to post here :p, but I'd like to know if someone with a A03 Rev, an Xbox 360 with both Component and VGA cables could take pictures of the rendering with both cables (and if possible on the same "moment" of the game), so I could really realize what the problem is. Because I don't think I have the only A03 monitor with good component display... :D

(and excuse me if there are any mistakes, I'm French)

I don't think there's much difference with the component as I have an A02 and from what you're saying they haven't fixed it in the A03 revision.

I originally had my 360 go through component but since this monitor can take DVI (and I'm getting a new card that can do 1920x1200 through DVI and I've been told that the Geforce 6200 can do this resolution. Not a real PC gamer now so doesn't matter) I've shifted the PC to DVI and let the 360 take over VGA and, even though it's washed out, I adjusted the brightness and contrast levels to make it look acceptable. I used the following settings for VGA.

Brightness: 25
Contrast: 67
Colo(u)r: PC Normal
Image Mode: Desktop
Wide Mode: 4:3
Sharpness: 50

I have it at these settings because I want the black bars when I watch DVDs or HD-DVDs to "look" the same as the unused pixels (as aspect scaling is activated) but make the photographed image more brighter. I tried my games with these settings and they're great, everything is clear and the colo(u)rs are not too faded and not over saturated.

Try them and see what you think. I have my 360 set to the baseline (well, I mean optimized) resolution of 1280x720 (720p) and I played SC:DA and there's no jaggies it's all smooth, which is better than using component where there were jaggies.

I want this monitor so bad you guys dont understand. But with me being a student who has no money and job (will look for one when i get back to uni) and not to mention me being in the UK and this monitor on the Dell website is going for £700 which is around $1400 which is bloody stupidly high priced.

I have the dell 2001fp which i wanna sell and get the 2407wfp. Do you think i should wait until like end of january and the prices may go down?

Prices at dell are stupid. Here in the Netherlands it jumped from 800 back to over 1000 euros again as well. But here you can buy it at other web stores as well for a normal price which is 739 euro. Or from eBay for the same price with pixel insurance. Whatever you do.. don't buy it for 700 pound. Its a huge waste. If you only want to buy it from dell just wait. It will go down again, probably somewhere in the middle of January.

Ebay UK is the cheapest ive found at only £500 ($1000) but still is quite alot for me nevertheless. Ill probably save up some money and by the end of january, hopefully have it together but then i hear the 27" is comming out by then so not sure.

I think I have to get this monitor since I cant find anyone that sell the Westinghouse Monitors in Australia :(, its now just the matter of getting the money :D.

I was just curious on how Dell goes about with new exchanges? I just recieved my 2407 yesterday and over all I love it. It's just that I think for this particular model I have a bit of excess backlight bleed in the upper right hand corner. It's subtle but it flares and was actually having an effect in dark scenes like playing GOW(360) and watching movies. From what i was gathering from this thread there shouldn't be any. I also have a stuck(? looks pink on a white background) about center of the screen 4 inches to the left. The pixel I could probably live with becasue personally I think sending it back and getting a new one is a hassle, but both I don't think I could justify.

Anyways, do they send a new one out, not a refurb? Also do they send it out and I trade for the old one or do I have to send the new one back and then they send another new one out?

edit:/ Also, wtf is up with the nasty green power lights and the the green numbers for the input selection?Ace the numbers and make the power a blue lit. Blue is so much more soothing on the eye. lol

Well that was painless except for the damn outsourced cutomer service. :mad:

Well from what I could understand I recieve a "New" monitor. Not a refurb being my monitor has been in my hands for a day. Packaged in the new monitor box will be a return slip for the old monitor. I have up to 5 days to ship the old monitor back? Can someone confirm if this is Dells procedure please.:) Was extremly hard to understand the service rep .

I just purchased the 2407 rev A03 off ebay. I got it brand new direct shipped from dell for 590 plus shipping.
So far I love it.
I was watching some football games via my HDTV over the air PC card and had the black bar at the top and bottom. I would normally go to mode two in windows media center but it stretches the screen. so anyway what I did was go to 1920x1080 mode in my nvidea 7900gs card by going into device settings select tv format and selecting the 1080p. I also have a check box in the treat digital display as HDTV. It works AWESOME.
If I want to use it as a PC on the internet or games I go 1920x1200. if I want to watch HDTV I just select the 1080P selection which is 1920x1080 and I get UNSTRETCHED very clear HDTV and the perfect ratio with no black bars.

Well that was painless except for the damn outsourced cutomer service. :mad:

Well from what I could understand I recieve a "New" monitor. Not a refurb being my monitor has been in my hands for a day. Packaged in the new monitor box will be a return slip for the old monitor. I have up to 5 days to ship the old monitor back? Can someone confirm if this is Dells procedure please.:) Was extremly hard to understand the service rep .

I returned 2 monitors. Dell policy says they will charge you if they don't get monitor back in five days after the new one is delivered. Keep in mind just because they SAY you will get return label with new monitor doens't mean you will. I didn't get mine and it was a problem for the next 2 weeks.

You need to be proactive with Dell and call to check up on things. Make sure they have your e-mail addy right - z,t,d,e,g,p sounds alike to many of them over the phone (I won't bore you with the long story about how I got to know that!).

If your UPS tracking says Dell got monitor back call Dell and make sure. Calling them not only allows for check-up but they accelerate the process when it applies.

I just purchased the 2407 rev A03 off ebay. I got it brand new direct shipped from dell for 590 plus shopping.
So far I love it.
I was watching some football games via my HDTV over the air PC card and had the black bar at the top and bottom. I would normally go to mode two in windows media center but it stretches the screen. so anyway what I did was go to 1920x1080 mode in my nvidea 7900gs card by going into device settings select tv format and selecting the 1080p. I also have a check box in the treat digital display as HDTV. It works AWESOME.
If I want to use it as a PC on the internet or games I go 1920x1200. if I want to watch HDTV I just select the 1080P selection which is 1920x1080 and I get UNSTRETCHED very clear HDTV and the perfect ratio with no black bars.

Anyway you could post some pictures with hdtv going? And congrats!!

Yea, I'm loving this monitor out of the all the ones I tried over the last few weeks(three 22", gateway 24", 19"). Whats great is out of the box I feel no need to tweak the colors, just toned down brightness a bit. I just have to get exchange taken care of and I'll be all set.

I returned 2 monitors. Dell policy says they will charge you if they don't get monitor back in five days after the new one is delivered. Keep in mind just because they SAY you will get return label with new monitor doens't mean you will. I didn't get mine and it was a problem for the next 2 weeks.

You need to be proactive with Dell and call to check up on things. Make sure they have your e-mail addy right - z,t,d,e,g,p sounds alike to many of them over the phone (I won't bore you with the long story about how I got to know that!).

If your UPS tracking says Dell got monitor back call Dell and make sure. Calling them not only allows for check-up but they accelerate the process when it applies.

Thanks for the advice abd.

Yea, after I called and wrote those posts above, my service call just wasn't sitting right with. I called back to reconfirm that everything was in check and the rep basically repeated before I even asked that I have an exchanged in order. So far, so good.

Whats stupid is at first you get an American to hear out your issue but then after they hear you out they transfer you straight to India. Which takes a really pleasent experience at first to a displeasent experience. There is such a communication barrier it's not even funny. And mind you my two of my best friends growing up where from India, I know the accent and use to speak some of the language. Still a bitch to understand though and especially over the phone. I was almost tempted just to return the product totally becasue of this experience.

I'm wondering if someone can confirm or deny my experience with the 2407 and component inputs (compared to the 2405).

I got a chance to use a 2407 for about an hour at work (though I had to set it up and re-package it, and got interrupted a couple times, so only like 30 min actual use time). I brought my PS2 along with component cable, and also tested with my MacBook Pro for DVI.

With the MBP on DVI, I think things looked pretty good. I played some HD trailers and stuff, and fussed with some of the modes. I thought I saw a speck of banding in a couple scenes with very perfect blue sky, and stuff... but haven't been able to compare on another display to confirm if it is in the source or not... but it was so subtle, that for my use, I'd not really care (I want to primarily use it for a TV, with occasional computer use for CAD, and 3D modeling/rendering).

However, when I plugged in the PS2 on components, it was quite a different experience (I was pretty set on getting on until I tried this). I thought it looked really bad to be honest. Something was just not right with the contrast or maybe gamma... brights were bright, but darks were just too dark. Hard to explain exactly. I have played my PS2 on a friends 2405, and was quite happy with the experience, so this surprised me. In Gran Turismo with grass, the flicker in the grass textures was so much as to be annoying. I see this flicker even on a CRT, and on the 2405... but it isn't so outrageous.

With only a couple minutes before I had to pack up and leave, I noticed that component also had a few 'modes' to choose from. The 2405 doesn't, so I didn't realize these were here. I quickly tried to test them, but couldn't re-do all the source stuff I'd already tried. My feel, is that the 'nature' mode did make things better, but hard to say how much without more testing time.

I'm wondering if the 2047 just uses totally different de-interlacers or something, and maybe that is where the problem lies.... or if it is a matter of settings that can be fixed with tweaking. I didn't see any 'user' modes though for component.

So.... I'm wondering what others have experienced in this regard. Are the component inputs really this messed up, or am I just delusional? I went to my friends house with my PS2 about 2 days later, and from memory, confirmed this. I wish I had them side-by-side, but it seemed like an obvious enough difference to tell from memory. It was an A03 model of 2407 I tested.

Thanks much.... trying to decide if I can add the Dell back to my list of options.

I was just curious on how Dell goes about with new exchanges?
If returned in the first 21 days under the Customer Satisfaction Policy (call customer service, not tech. support to arrange this, and have your order # ready) you can get a new display. This is what I did when I bought my 2007WFP, and decided I wanted a 2407WFP instead.

After 21 days, you go through tech. support, and get a refurb.

Refurbs aren't necessarily a bad thing, but if you just purchased the monitor, it doesn't hurt to go through sales.

hello everyone

i had a question about my 2407. i just purchased the xbox 360 vga cable so that I could hook it up to this monitor (until I can find a lvm-37w3). well, after i hooked it up it was dark and jaggies were everywhere. i played TW07 and the water was this bright white color. something definately was wrong...went back into the dashboard and saw that the screen settings were set to the minimum. i changed it to 1920x1080 which i thought this monitor supported. everything looked great...the dashboard was now clear, TW07 looked great but it still was a little on the dark side. so i fired up the game and played a round...midway thru the round the screen flickered and when it came back on the colors looked strange. i ignored it and kept playing. every couple of minutes or so the screen would flicker and the resolution would change (i thought). now theres jaggies everywhere and i can see lines on the players bodies. i finished the round went back into the dashboard and saw that the resolution was still 1920x1080.

im not sure if something is wrong with the monitor or maybe theres a defect in the cable....anyone else have a problem like this? ill try and post a pic when i get home from work later on tonight.

"Whats great is out of the box I feel no need to tweak the colors, just toned down brightness a bit. I just have to get exchange taken care of and I'll be all set"

What I did to adjust the brightness and so on is use Windows Media Center Edition Monitor setup pages. I had to take the brightness down to 21-22 from the default 50 to not see the moving X in the test. Monitor works great. Even running Colin Mcrae Rally 2005 with the 1920x1200 is great. I cant say enough about this display so far.

Somebody explain to me the best way to post some pics of the screen and Ill do it when I get time.

Just thought I'd let you guys that are interested in the 2407 know that it is available on Costco's website for $674 right now. This would give you the security of a brick and mortar to return it to if you need. Here's the linky.

Hi

Just received my Dell 2407WFP today. Its the first LCD screen I've owned (having upgraded from a 19" CRT) and I must say that I'm very impressed so far. Its HUGE compared to my old monitor.

I haven't really put it through its paces yet but my first impressions are very favourable. I bought it from pcbuyit.co.uk for the very reasonable price of £450 ex VAT. This was the cheapest I found it (checked Scan, OCUK, Dabs etc) and it was delivered the next day which was excellent service.

I'd really like to put the monitor through a series of checks to make sure its ok while I'm still within my no quibble Dell guarantee phase. Does anyone know if there's any software available that will check for dead pixels and anything else that might be of concern to me?

Cheers

JT :)

You wern't kidding. I'm half tempted just to get a complete refund becasue of the outsourced customer service and difficulties in understanding eachother.

I called back today and went through sales this time. Which was nice, someone from America. I asked to check my order and he promptly put me through to customer support. Of coarse I could barly make out what the hell was being said and of coarse there was an issue from when I called on Friday. For whatever reason she needed the upc code(or whatever that long number is on the back of the product). I can't even tell you how many times I had to repeat it back. Then my email(isn't this in there records already?), didn't go over much better.

So I guess it takes up to 8 days to be shipped, I dunno, whatever.

I just got my 2407WPF. My video card is ATI 9800 Pro with DVI connection, 1900x1200.
Every time I reboot my PC, the display shows some horizontal blue line noise across the screen. However, I can get it off if I power off and then power on the monitor or change the input selection from the menu.
My display card works well with other EIZO monitor. I've updateed to the latest video drivers, etc.
Do anyone have the same problem ?

I've got my PS3 hooked up to it via component and it looks fine, playable I should say. I haven't (and won't) try DVI because I dislike having to keep unplugging the PC just to play.

Back