Official Dell 2407WFP Thread - Reviews, Revisions, Screenies

I originally had the A00 model, but Dell recently exchanged me a current A02 panel for it due to my complaints about vertical banding / slightly blurred text.

My own experience is that text quality is noticeably improved in the A02, and vertical banding is now essentially non-existent using a test program such as CheckeMON.exe ... HOWEVER, the A02 panel sent to me now exhibits really horrible horizontal banding in the CheckeMON colour spectrum test - like a rough washboard texture underlying the whole of the screen.

As many others will say, it is nonetheless much more difficult to find real example of such banding in actual day-to-day use of the monitor and, overall, my experience of the 2407WFP is that it is a beautiful to look at, beautifully designed monitor (eg. the ergonomics and various USB, memory card ports) with excellent overall appearance of text and graphics.

Regardless, though, I decided to return the monitor for a full refund. If it had been cheaper, say AUD$1,000, I would have accepted the banding 'issues'. However, the three months I have had of using the A00 and then the A02 panels, and having extensively read reviews about LCD monitors and technology during this period, has left me feeling that the technology still has a long, long way to develop, and with so many exciting developments 'around the corner' such as 26" and 27" panels, higher contrast ratios, better response rates, etc etc ... I did not feel good about spending AUD$1350 (what it cost me at the time) for the 2407WFP as it is.

I've now bought a much cheaper Samsung 204B as an interim solution. It is not without it's own faults, but for the cost I can live with them knowing that when a larger and more expensive monitor again attracts my attention, I can sell the Samsung with much less loss on my investment then if I was trying to sell the 2407WFP s/hand in 6-18 months time.

I have the problem with the right hand side of the screen being darker than the left. It looks like it has a blue hue.

To bad because the first one they sent me works well but the bezel is all scratched up so I am sending it back.

Scott@Bjorn3D said:
I have the problem with the right hand side of the screen being darker than the left. It looks like it has a blue hue.

To bad because the first one they sent me works well but the bezel is all scratched up so I am sending it back.
My 2405 and a few others have had this problem with their viewing angle. Is that what you're talking about or is it something else entirelly different than what I am describing?

Well I have moved the monitor to different angles and also done so by moving my chair around. It is just very dark on the left, the only way to get rid of it is to turn the brightness all the way down.

It is like the thing has 2 lamps and one is not working.

Scott@Bjorn3D said:
Well I have moved the monitor to different angles and also done so by moving my chair around. It is just very dark on the left, the only way to get rid of it is to turn the brightness all the way down.

It is like the thing has 2 lamps and one is not working.
Pretty much all widescreen monitors are brighter on one side than the other. It's currently a problem with the way they do the backlighting itself. I guess the great width in relation to the height gives them problems. The monitor that exihibited the least of this for me was the Sony P-234, but that model had some of the worst backlighting I have ever seen (the 2 I went through made the worst 2005fpws look great). The HP L2335 also was a little more even but I could tell that it was dimmer one one side than on the other. It's just something you're gonna have to get used to until led backlights come down in price.

LauNL said:
Hello,

I have my 2407 since last week and immediately connected my PS2 through composite to it, but found out that the quality is horrible. It really looks washed out en way to over satturated. I tried to connect it through component (i have a ps2-component-cable) but it didn't work, my 2407 says that there is no incomming signal. So my question right now is what do i do? I know quite sure that the component cable is not defect, so that shouldn't be the problem, but what is? :(

Can anybody help me with this please? :(

LauNL said:
Can anybody help me with this please? :(

Did you by any chance mixup the green and blue? It can be hard to tell the difference, and on some displays I've found they have them opposite of what most do. I know I've done it several times on different displays. From what it sounds like, I wouldn't expect the quality to be drastically different though unfortunately.

No, i tried it with the blue and green turned around also but it still wouldn't display a thing :( I don't get it cause it should work in my opinion. Would it help (to improve the quality) to buy a composite to s-video adapter and connect it to s-video, with the composite-cable or not?

LauNL said:
No, i tried it with the blue and green turned around also but it still wouldn't display a thing :( I don't get it cause it should work in my opinion. Would it help (to improve the quality) to buy a composite to s-video adapter and connect it to s-video, with the composite-cable or not?

I got mine yesterday and I had the same "problem". Turn on your PS2 with no game inside with a regular composite cable attached. Go to the System Configuration menu, there should be an option for your cable type. The choices are "RGB" and "Y\Cr\Pb" or something like that. Choose "Y\Cr\Pb" and exit the menu. Turn off the PS2 and hook up the component cables again. When you turn it on, you should get an image now.

When you switch cables, remember to switch inputs on the monitor as well!

GT4, Tekken 5, and Shadow of the Colossus look awesome in progressive mode!

wangoflove said:
I got mine yesterday and I had the same "problem". Turn on your PS2 with no game inside with a regular composite cable attached. Go to the System Configuration menu, there should be an option for your cable type. The choices are "RGB" and "Y\Cr\Pb" or something like that. Choose "Y\Cr\Pb" and exit the menu. Turn off the PS2 and hook up the component cables again. When you turn it on, you should get an image now.

When you switch cables, remember to switch inputs on the monitor as well!

GT4, Tekken 5, and Shadow of the Colossus look awesome in progressive mode!

Thnx m8 for the advise, but the quality indeed still sucks. Even Jak3 wich supports progressive scan looked simply awfull. I really hope Dell is going to fix this, otherwise im probably going to sell my 2407 and go for a 20 inch ACD.

Edit: oh almost forgot, can i positively put the refreshrate to 85 hz or am i going to destroy my monitor then?

ahh crap another vote for the component sucks!

Got any other component sources that you can test the monitor with?

Service menu: hold the menu and + buttons down simultaneously and then turn the monitor on. Then, press the - button. Turn ACC off. Try component and let us know if you can see a difference.

LauNL said:
Thnx m8 for the advise, but the quality indeed still sucks. Even Jak3 wich supports progressive scan looked simply awfull. I really hope Dell is going to fix this, otherwise im probably going to sell my 2407 and go for a 20 inch ACD.

Edit: oh almost forgot, can i positively put the refreshrate to 85 hz or am i going to destroy my monitor then?

Don't have Jak 3 myself but does it have progressive as a choice in the options? PS2 games always default to 480i unless you specify progressive in the game's options screen *or* if you hold down X and triangle simultaneously while booting. The latter method I've never used but that's what I've read on the hdtvarcade forums

480i over component doesnt look that great, but what do you expect? Have you tried on another TV with component inputs to compare image quality with? I had to muck with the settings since the defaults were way to dark...

Daggah said:
Service menu: hold the menu and + buttons down simultaneously and then turn the monitor on. Then, press the - button. Turn ACC off. Try component and let us know if you can see a difference.

do what the man says! i hope it fixes it!

Allright, I will test it good when i'm moved (were gona move to another house friday so i am busy with that now). Jak3 has a progressive scan option, thats why it surprised me to see a very washed out and oversaturated image (even with the ACC option disabled). But once again i will test it firmly when im moved friday ;)

I still have the question if its safe to put the refreshrate to 85hz or not, because the manual says 60hz max!!

I read the entire thread looking for an answer to this. I saw several pitches at it, but no one seems to have any real interests in the full use of HDCP and full 1080p content from HD sources (besides a PC).

Latest from Chris-M from Dell is:
http://forums.us.dell.com/supportforums/board/message?board.id=dim_monitor&message.id=62689

"1. Banding still present in A02
Banding is fixed in desktop mode. For multimedia, gaming and non-prime modes, we have left the complete set of Faroudja video processing enabled so banding may still be visible in some cases when the color enhancement processing kicks in.

2. Doesn't support 1600x1200
2407WFP supports 1600x1200 in fill mode only. 4:3 aspect ratio is not supported.

3. Doesn't support 1080i over DVI
The DVI connection is designed for PC connectivity. Simliar to the 2405FPW, 1080i is not supported in this mode. We support 1080p over DVI for HDCP usage. Progressive video has better performance over interlaced formats.

4. Incorrectly displays 1080i over component giving an usable image
We recommend 720p over component for the best image quality. 1080i deinterlacing is enabled but you may experience artifacts in some images.

5. Video tearing on 720p over both component/DVI when in 1:1 mode
We are investigating this issue."

The 1080i over DVI out of whack. DVI is a digital signal so it will only support progressive formats. 1080i (and in some cases 1080p) can only be resolved by analog connection such as component . However, Chris-M had stated before that video through DVI was capped at 720p with HDCP. He stated no reasons, but I severely lost interest in the 2407 because of it was going to be gimped. I mean... it's not like the monitor can't resolve a true 1080p image, why cut its balls off?

Anyway... prior to this though...
http://forums.us.dell.com/supportforums/board/message?board.id=dim_monitor&message.id=61036

So I took my monitor into work today (retail electronics store) and hooked it up to our Samsung BluRay display with an HDMI to DVI cable. The results were mixed. It's already been established in earlier threads that the monitor doesn't support interlaced signals, and yes this is what I experienced as well.

The Samsung auto defaults to 720p over an hdmi/dvi connection, and while that picture looked great, it was a letdown to see that I couldn't achieve the 1080p signal that our monitors are clearly capable of. Setting the player to output to 1080i gave the expected signal out of range from the monitor, and the player would not allow a 1080p selection with the monitor connected to it. It showed it as an option, but it was blacked out and unselectable. On consulting the documentation for the Blu Ray player, this is normal if the player senses that the display device will NOT support this mode.

But. . . What interested me was the fact that while displaying a 720p signal and bringing up the display info from the Dell OSD, it lists the following:

Source: DVI
Resolution: 1280x720 @ 60Hz
Optimal Resolution: 1920x1200 @60Hz

It's as if it's saying hey, I really want to display a 1080p signal, but somethings holding me back!

Just my observations

This is the kind of test that I was hoping some of you would have interest in trying out. Having HDCP as a selling point means I would like to be able to use it to view 1080p content from anything. If it's HDCP compliant it should be fully compliant with Blu-Ray or HD-DVD players and not just PCs.

Basically... it is my understanding that Dell willingly and stupidly crippled the firmware/inputs in the 2407. Sure the panel is capable of everything we want, but Dell must of felt that its multi-use spilled over into too many markets that they currenty have foothold on so it was better to hold it back and keep it strictly and best used as a computer desktop monitor. Seemingly, there is not much use for it besides that (and many are comfortable with that of course).

I really want to order a 2407, but if it won't work with blu-ray then I don't need it. All those ports, all the expandibility, all wasted by stupidity, not capability. I'll spend a bit more and get real HDCP display if nobody can really confirm 1080p over DVI is real. The BenQ is definately my big choice... but the Dell is out NOW and I would love to have this display NOW. :(

Vissione,

If you had done a search on HDCP in this same thread you would have found my post (#267, page 14) where I clearly state that HDCP is fully supported by this monitor in all resolutions over the DVI connector. As I mention before HDCP only works over digital connections and for this monitor that only means DVI. I you'd like to read my post the link is below:
http://www.hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1029727134&postcount=267

I have an A1 at my office that I use for HDCP testing and an A2 at home that I bought because it's so damm good. I haven't experienced any banding, decolorations, dim screens or any other complaint I've seen here in any of the two monitors I use. All inputs work as I expect them to do so if anything I'd check the sources you are using. I find the price also very good for the quality of product I got. Nope I don't work for Dell and I actually hate them a bit for not taking me of their stupid mail catalog list but that's material for another rant.

-Z

EDIT: If it wasn't clear, this monitor IS compatible with HD-DVD and Blue-ray so you can watch movies at 1080p with HDCP. That was the main reason I bought it.

zerapio said:
Vissione,

If you had done a search on HDCP in this same thread you would have found my post (#267, page 14) where I clearly state that HDCP is fully supported by this monitor in all resolutions over the DVI connector. As I mention before HDCP only works over digital connections and for this monitor that only means DVI. I you'd like to read my post the link is below:
http://www.hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1029727134&postcount=267

I have an A1 at my office that I use for HDCP testing and an A2 at home that I bought because it's so damm good. I haven't experienced any banding, decolorations, dim screens or any other complaint I've seen here in any of the two monitors I use. All inputs work as I expect them to do so if anything I'd check the sources you are using. I find the price also very good for the quality of product I got. Nope I don't work for Dell and I actually hate them a bit for not taking me of their stupid mail catalog list but that's material for another rant.

-Z

EDIT: If it wasn't clear, this monitor IS compatible with HD-DVD and Blue-ray so you can watch movies at 1080p with HDCP. That was the main reason I bought it.

First of all I appreciate the reply. I actually did see and read your post, but it came across as more of an recap of what HDCP, HDMI, and DVI were and how it all tied together. I noticed you said you needed a 1080p display for work, however, you were not clear in stating something along the lines of "I was watching Blu-Ray @ 1080p or HD-DVD @ 1080p." All the 1080p testing you mentioned was trailers (presumably off of apple.com) which can obviously be done because the monitor can go up to 1920x1200 off a PC DVI connection. I'm thinking, just like you are, the monitor should display 1080p video with no problem. But... you can't help but be wary of Dell employees were saying HDCP was capped at 720p over DVI and then saying it's not. The few real-world tests I can find say that is indeed true, HD players see the 2407 as a 720p display with HDCP. Not many people seem to be interested in using the 2407 as a HD display for HD movies it seems so I'm holding off until I can get the facts clear.

Now if what you do at work involves using:

12-105-823-01.JPG

+

bottom_big.jpg

..with your HD source being a BR or HD-DVD player then I will purchase a 2407FPW.

P.S. not that I doubt you, I just really need to be careful with my college budget.

I actually use one of those cables at work to connect the monitor to the transmitter I'm testing. At this point if I see somebody saying that the monitor doesn't support 1080p I say there's a problem with the setup, most likely the transmitter. Since I don't have any HD-DVD player (yet) to test the monitor with I'll concede you that there's a posibility but I don't see any technical reason to believe that it won't work, proof of that is that I bought one for myself.

Hope this helps.

-Z

vissione said:
you can't help but be wary of Dell employees were saying HDCP was capped at 720p over DVI and then saying it's not

That's the part that I don't get. You cannot "cap" HDCP. For HDCP to work in the monitor you need some circuitry to handle the protocol, this is independent of the resolution of the content or the size of the display. When encrytion is on all the bits received are XORed with a pseudorandom bit to remove encryption (check the HDCP protocol on the web). You can see that once you have the setup running it's kinda dumb to limit it to a certain resolution or video standard. Those are my 2 cents.

Z

Can someone please sell me their 2407FPW to me, I will do anything (I mean anything) to get one :D.

nah just joking (but though if anyone willing to for dirt cheap please pm me) but yeah can someone please take a pic of the back of the 2407 and also the connections, because I want to model this monitor but I cant seem to find any good pics of it, I am into 3d modeling if yous dont know ( a noob at it that is).

the gamer said:
Can someone please sell me their 2407FPW to me, I will do anything (I mean anything) to get one :D.

nah just joking (but though if anyone willing to for dirt cheap please pm me) but yeah can someone please take a pic of the back of the 2407 and also the connections, because I want to model this monitor but I cant seem to find any good pics of it, I am into 3d modeling if yous dont know ( a noob at it that is).

you cant find any good pictures? support.dell.com and browse for the monitor. They have plenty of pictures.

can someone PLEASE post a picture of SOMETHING hooked up via component with this monitor??? Im getting so frustrated with waiting for the Benq to come out, and was looking to pick up a new laptop as well. its hard to look past the price of this monitor, and there are no dell stores locally for me to see one in person.

PICTURES, PICTURES, PICTURES, please!

thenixhex311 said:
you cant find any good pictures? support.dell.com and browse for the monitor. They have plenty of pictures.
Mind posting those pics then.

How is the scaling on this bad boy? I want a 20wgmx2 but I heard it will stretch any 4:3 rez to widescreen. I'm wanting to play Oblivion at 1680x1050 with a Crossfire setup, I don't think it can handle 1920 or whatever the max rez is on the monitor. Has anyone tried this?

I just exchanged my 2007FPW for the 2407FPW. Can't wait to get it. I wanted something bigger. I hear the banding is fixed in the desktop mode and in the short time I used the 2007FPW, I really don't see myself changing into the other modes.

thenixhex311 said:
ugh, all these people.... LISTEN...

BANDING IS NOT NOT NOT FIXED. THERE STILL IS VERTICAL BANDING!
how come the dude from dell says so in his posting on that site?

DarkfallFan said:
Does it show up bad in games?

I would imagine with all the special effects going on you'll hardly notice it.

It's down to a very personal choice and how much of a risk or sacrifice one is willing to take on with this monitor. I really love the feature set of the Dell but it's nothing when it can't even operate up to par. Components are terrible so tehre goes any hope of hooking up my PS2/Xbox360. On that note, the Apple 23" has just reduced its price and is relatively affordable. It has no such banding issue but does come with its own set of problems. Pink cast (wtf?), etc. So you ask yoruself, is it a matter of sacrificing one thing for another? That's how I feel about it unless Dell can drastically turn around their QC in the next few weeks, I don't see myself buying one. I bought one but it was mysteriously cancelled and I havent' reordered it. Too many hang ups about things not working.

xplosivex said:
how come the dude from dell says so in his posting on that site?

sure Chris M. might still be saying that the banding is fixed, but there are WAAAY too many people who say they see vertical banding. 1 or 2.... ok I'd still get it, but there are a TON of people experiencing issues with this LCD.

Not to mention Component image quility is absolute trash.

thenixhex311 said:
ugh, all these people.... LISTEN...

BANDING IS NOT NOT NOT FIXED. THERE STILL IS VERTICAL BANDING!

It doesn't affect NORMAL EVERY DAY USE unless you spend all your time in photoshop looking at gradients!

:rolleyes:

Daggah said:
It doesn't affect NORMAL EVERY DAY USE unless you spend all your time in photoshop looking at gradients!

the 'it's fine' to 'it still has issues' people ratio is still waaaay too off.

End of story, the monitor is NOT fixed. And even if you think the banding is ok. What about component quality? Put all those inputs on a display only to have them HORRIBLE!

dude the bottom line is that i don't want to buy a halfassed monitor id rather dish out more cash for something that works the way it is supposed to!

that said i can't believe there aren't any other 24inchers with multimedia inputs yet. and im dissapointed that dell fucked this one up becuase i was planning on getting it.

mee just hope they release a A03 version of this monitor with all banding gone, and inputs top notch by sometime Q1 2007 :D, well by the time I get the money saved up they would of :D.

Daggah said:

But Daggah, it is visible in everyday use. stop posting this defensive crap, yes you like your monitor.. good for you.. but it has serious issues. fact.. :mad:

thenixhex311 said:
the 'it's fine' to 'it still has issues' people ratio is still waaaay too off.

End of story, the monitor is NOT fixed. And even if you think the banding is ok. What about component quality? Put all those inputs on a display only to have them HORRIBLE!

I think you will find on most LCD monitors that VGA is superior to component, for technical reasons I'd rather not get in to. There is plenty of info on the web. This thread reports a similar problem with a different monitor:

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1081794

Try comparing the same inputs using an XBox 360 on another LCD monitor or TV and see if you get the same results, then get back to us.

Shocky said:
But Daggah, it is visible in everyday use. stop posting this defensive crap, yes you like your monitor.. good for you.. but it has serious issues. fact..

I think the only reason he posted this defensive crap is that someone posted some offensive crap earlier in big, bold letters. We get it, Shocky, you don't like this monitor, and you've said so many times across many forums. I have one and frankly dont see what all the negativity is about. I'm sorry your experiences have left you so bitter. Any LCD monitor you choose at this size is going to be a compromise in some way or another, which one is better than another is just as subjective as it is objective.

the issue is not whether VGA or component is better its the matter of having all these input availble for different sources!

dvi = computer
vga = xbox360
component = hd cable box

so they all need to work reasonably well...

since it doesn't have hdmi anyways...

I have a question about Dells Warrentee. Can I buy the 2407 new from a vendor off Ebay and still be able to send it back to dell if I need a differant one? Where is the best place to buy the 2407? Thanks.

How do you think my system will handle CS:S at 1920x1200 :D

Back