Official Dell 2407WFP Thread - Reviews, Revisions, Screenies

Pictures!

These are all running on 360 using VGA set to output at 1340x768 or whatever that res is. It's the highest res you can set the VGA cable to. Most of these came out a little dark. I'm still experimenting to try and figure out the best way to take pictures off the screen.

First up, PGR3

Next up some Oblivion

Now some GRAW

I dont know what level of AA GRAW is using, but the image quality on this monitor for it is absolutely out of this world. It looks incredibly smooth and crisp.

A last word about VGA versus component from me. VGA wins. Really. It's not even close on this monitor. Component doesn't look terrible necessarily, but it really doesn't look very good. Dark areas are too muddy and undefined, bright areas are WAY oversaturated. I think it has more to do with the inputs on the monitor than the cables. If you're buying this monitor with intent to use it for a 360, get the VGA cable. It really does blow away the components on it by a mile.

There has been some question as to whether the monitor supports 1080p. According to the help for the "ATI Catalyst Control Center" (CCC), there is a way to force 1080p to be output. I don't know if this works on all ATI cards, but it might be worth a try for those who are curious. I'd try it but I don't have this monitor yet, and I don't even get all the options in CCC since I'm currently using CRTs.

According to the help, to enable 1080p:

Add 1080p mode to the Displays Manager Force button
If the Predefined and Custom HDTV Formats list box is empty you can add a format.

1. Expand Digital Panel Properties in Advanced View.
2. Click HDTV Support.
3. Click Add 1080p standard format to the Displays Manager.

WARNING!: This option is only intended for displays that report incomplete or incorrect EDID information. Adding this setting could damage your digital flat panel display. USE WITH CAUTION!

Note that even if this works, it might not really mean 1080p will work for other devices. Other devices might only allow 1080p if they can see the resolution is supported according to the EDID. This also doesn't test 1080p over HDCP, which may or may not be an issue, depending on whether you think HDCP will be required for HD-DVD/Bluray.

Sorry if this is a wrong forum for this post. Is Costco a good place to buy monitors? Costco has this monitor for $799 right now and i believe you can do a store pick and thus avoid the ship/handling charge. Is that a good price or should I wait for Dell discounts? Thanks.

spade357 said:
Sorry if this is a wrong forum for this post. Is Costco a good place to buy monitors? Costco has this monitor for $799 right now and i believe you can do a store pick and thus avoid the ship/handling charge. Is that a good price or should I wait for Dell discounts? Thanks.

i got mine for $811 shipped and taxed with a 5 year warranty thru dell.....costco has a good return policy but its been abused lately from what I hear....so I wouldnt make that my deciding factor.....if u can wait - look for them to go on sale again thru dell....if not, then go ahead and give costco a try.

spade357 said:

The one online has shipping included, so either way it will be that price I believe. I'm in Canada, and Costco here *only* has it online. Just ordered it today.

I think if you order directly from Dell, you might be able to get a cheaper price if you have coupons and the like, or you might be able to talk them down in price over the phone. However, I went the costco route mainly because they have a very good return policy, and I really don't want to have to argue with tech support to get the monitor replaced if it has dead pixels or color banding.

just got my display, its REV00, blahh...... can notice some banding on gradients in photoshop but that gradient testing thing looks fine. looks like im goin to return this one.

edit: banding is definately noticable in the games and multimedia settings, but not as much in the desktop setting.

well to all the canadian users out there the 2407 is on sale for 850 bucks from dell.ca . i just ordered myself one should be here in a week or two.

I received my replacement A02 yesterday.
It appears to have corrected banding in horizontal gradients, but not vertical--has anyone else noticed this? If this a continuing problem with these monitors, how do we go about getting it corrected?

The banding is quite noticeable when viewing the images on the following thread:
http://forums.us.dell.com/supportforums/board/message?board.id=dim_monitor&message.id=58783
and also while running the "Color Spectrum" test on CheckeMON.

Since I still have my A00, I decided to run the two monitors head-to-head (although I only have 1 DVI output from my video card, so the A00 is running in analog, that is no problem, as I understand that there are no gradient issues with the A00 running off the VGA input) and take a couple of photos of the screens--If anyone can help me regarding posting them, please let me know, I have both 5MP and 1MP photos. There is definitely a big difference between gradients on the A00 with VGA input and the A02 with DVI input.

dakine99 said:
If you had read the whole thread you would know that has already been done.
I glanced the thread but I missed that part. So no lag. Cool.

skotwo, I still have a small amount of banding in vertical gradients. More specifically in gradients that get darker in the up-left direction. At this point I don't think it's something that will be fixed. It doesn't really bother me so I'm not too worried about it, but if it bothers you then I beleive dell will let you return the monitor.

WHOAguitarninja said:
skotwo, I still have a small amount of banding in vertical gradients. More specifically in gradients that get darker in the up-left direction. At this point I don't think it's something that will be fixed. It doesn't really bother me so I'm not too worried about it, but if it bothers you then I beleive dell will let you return the monitor.

I figure as much. I really like the monitor--I guess if nothing else, I could always run it with VGA. Are there any specific advantages/disadvantages with running VGA vs. DVI?--When I run the two (A00 and A02) head to head using the various monitor check programs (DisplayMate, CheckeMON, etc.), there doesn't appear to be any significant difference (aside from the banding in DVI)--phase, moire, etc. all seem to be ok on the A00 with VGA.

Seems like a shame, however, to not be able to use the connectivity that was paid for.

it seems Costco now has the 2407 for $799, shipping included...

here

does anyone have any idea what revision (A00?01?02?) Costco is selling? Or is it likely to be a "mixed" bag of several revisions?

I'd like to get an A02, but when I asked several employees at Costco they really couldn't give me any information along those lines...

is there any confirmed way to request a certain revision before ordering?

Well all that shipped out of Dell after 6/9/06 should be A02s. Can you find out when Costco received their shipment? If it's a few days after that date or before, most likely your getting an A01 or A00.

With CostCo in Canada, I contacted two people on the phone and someone by email, all of whom could not answer whether they have A00 A01 or A02. I decided to just order anyway, and if turns out to not be what I want I'll give it back, as CostCo is very liberal return policy.

dakine99 said:
2407 has a 6-bit panel? :mad:

link

Can someone find out for sure if the 2407 uses a 6-bit or 8-bit panel? Trustedreview seemed to paint a negative picture for the 2407.

The 'trustedreview' review doesn't appear to be all that accurate, and I would doubt they have anything definitive to say that it is a 6-bit display. I provided a link earlier providing fairly detailed specs on the Samsung panel used in the monitor, and in there it is described as 'true 8-bit'. Unless the specs are innaccurate, or Samsung has a different definition of the word 'true', then it would appear it is in fact an 8-bit monitor.

On the 2407 if someone wouldn't mind, could you measure the distance from your desk to the bottom of the bezel with the monitor extended fully upwards on its track as far as it will go?

I want to know how high off the desk it can be slid to

Thanks

samnmax said:
The 'trustedreview' review doesn't appear to be all that accurate, and I would doubt they have anything definitive to say that it is a 6-bit display. I provided a link earlier providing fairly detailed specs on the Samsung panel used in the monitor, and in there it is described as 'true 8-bit'. Unless the specs are innaccurate, or Samsung has a different definition of the word 'true', then it would appear it is in fact an 8-bit monitor.

If it were not for Dells tendency to ship different panels at the same time, I might agree. I think, at last count, the 1907FP has 3 panel makers, each slightly different.

Bacillus said:
If it were not for Dells tendency to ship different panels at the same time, I might agree. I think, at last count, the 1907FP has 3 panel makers, each slightly different.

Heh, didn't say Dell was all that trustworthy either. :rolleyes:

samnmax said:

Trustedreview said: "The information regarding the 6-bit panel came directly from Dell's European Product Manager. I too was surprised, as I expected the panel to be based on the Samsung 244T. I will double check this with him in case he has made a mistake on this."

link

Is it possible that the 2407 uses an 8-bit panel but only processes 6-bit thru the electronics? That would suck.

dakine99 said:
Trustedreview said: "The information regarding the 6-bit panel came directly from Dell's European Product Manager. I too was surprised, as I expected the panel to be based on the Samsung 244T. I will double check this with him in case he has made a mistake on this."

link

Is it possible that the 2407 uses an 8-bit panel but only processes 6-bit thru the electronics? That would suck.

Hmmm, well, I hope he brings up the Samsung specs for that panel with them.

I think the 244T is the LTM240M1 panel (same as 2405), and from the specs it looks like it's a pretty minor change between panels. Main thing appears to be less ghosting. Now, you can make a monitor faster by switching from 8-bit to 6-bit, but it really looks they went a different route.

Look near the bottom of this semi-review:
http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/articles/dell_2xx7wfp.htm

You can see the comparsion of the responsiveness between the older and newer model.

I just bit on one. $800 shipped including tax. Saved myself a good $40 or $50 by calling Dell and asking them for a better price. How long did it take everyone to have theirs shipped? I was kind of hoping to get it by the end of the week, but it doesn't look like that'll happen. . . next Tuesday is the estimated ship date. :(

my estimated ship date was the 22'nd but i tracked it and it should be here tomorrow.

Use your order # and go to dell.com to get an update on your order. Its really easy to do.

Well, my 2 2407's came in today.. both A02's..

I cannot get over how much more clear these things are over my CRT's..

I went from 2 21" CRT's to 2 2407's and wish I had done so sooner.

Magnus_Dx said:
Best of luck, sounds great. Post some game or scenery pics fullscreen? thanks

WHOAguitarninja said:
You may be sitting close enough that the sides of the screen lie outside the optimum viewing angle. Make sure your head is position dead center and not a little to the side, because I've noticed that being caused by me being offcenter.

if true, why is this such a great monitor? i'll go hug my crt.

The 2007 I bought also is an A02 revision but has a nick in the screen so I'll have to have it replaced.

Both the 2407's and the 2007 is EXTREMLY bright. I had to turn the brightness down to 10 so my eyes don't get fried.

Magnus_Dx said:
The 2007 I bought also is an A02 revision but has a nick in the screen so I'll have to have it replaced.

Both the 2407's and the 2007 is EXTREMLY bright. I had to turn the brightness down to 10 so my eyes don't get fried.

Every LCD I've had, I've actually cranked the brightness on, as for some reason it just looked better to my eyes. I think that would change now though, as I typically lower the brightness a bit but up the contrast level. I always found it odd that people would say that their LCD was too bright for them, even on a low setting, as that always seemed to kill the image (made it look much less vibrant, and oddly enough kinda washed out). Stranger even, my eyes are very light sensitive otherwise, especially with sunlight.

Has anybody noticed a difference in image quality between the different display modes? I just played a little bit of HL2 on gaming mode, and I really couldn't notice a difference compared to desktop mode. Not sure what the benefits of the Faroudja image processing are.

Sry to sound like a n00b but we all gotta start from somewhere!

Im looking at getting the 2405 at the end of this summer as my friends both have 1 and its huge, i love it, and great for SLI gaming! (As i need a big monitor to take advantage of my SLi goodness that Im about to receive! :p) Anyways, ive heard problems facing the 2407 such as backlight banding (or something like that), input lag, etc.. and to just get the 2405 (which i was going to). But then my friend said that they had fixed all that stuff. I read here about a revision A02 compared to revision A00. Could someone please let me know if those issues have been fixed? If its the monitor that everyone hopes it should be? How is the image quality compared to the 2405? And whats the cheapest you can find it for? $800 is as much as Id go for a monitor. Thanks!

darkswordsman17 said:
Every LCD I've had, I've actually cranked the brightness on, as for some reason it just looked better to my eyes. I think that would change now though, as I typically lower the brightness a bit but up the contrast level. I always found it odd that people would say that their LCD was too bright for them, even on a low setting, as that always seemed to kill the image (made it look much less vibrant, and oddly enough kinda washed out). Stranger even, my eyes are very light sensitive otherwise, especially with sunlight.

It definately is less vibrant with a lower brightness.

I'm a programmer though so the only thing I really need is contrast between white text and black backgrounds. :)

TwinTurboJosh said:
Has anybody noticed a difference in image quality between the different display modes? I just played a little bit of HL2 on gaming mode, and I really couldn't notice a difference compared to desktop mode. Not sure what the benefits of the Faroudja image processing are.

I don't have the monitor yet so I can't say for sure, but my understanding is that the color banding bug was only prevelant when running the monitor at it's native resolution through DVI. If you are running HL2 at a lower resolution, then you probably shouldn't see it either way.

johnnq said:
if true, why is this such a great monitor? i'll go hug my crt.

Because of the size. I actually have use for the large screen size, but don't have room to accomodate a large CRT. I'd actually really like to have a FW900, but I simply don't have room. I do need the screen space though.

Unless you get really close to the screen you'll hardly notice it, and if you're sitting a normal distance from the screen(atleast what I deem to be normal), you won't notice it at all.

Magnus_Dx said:

can you post some pictures of gradients? wanna see if its noticeable in A02.

samnmax said:
I don't have the monitor yet so I can't say for sure, but my understanding is that the color banding bug was only prevelant when running the monitor at it's native resolution through DVI. If you are running HL2 at a lower resolution, then you probably shouldn't see it either way.
Rev A00, the banding problem is present in all the resolutions through dvi, not only at native, and in all modes. Rev A01 and A02 solved the banding issue in desktop mode, gaming and mutimedia is just as worst as rev A00.

LTM240M2 is an 8-bit panel that Eizo deem it good enough for their professional CE240W

Now that some of you have the 2407 could you verify if it has HDCP?

Back