Official Dell 2407WFP Thread - Reviews, Revisions, Screenies

sorry guys but I'm not going to hook the x360 up to the monitor. all of my cables to the 360 are zip-tied to my HDTV and its going to be a pain in the arse to disconnect the wires, etc. here all all the pics from my setup.

btw: my monitor was shipped from TN and it also is a rev A01. :(

also, zero dead pixels from what I can tell....its HUGE and looks amazing.

here we go...............

Quicktime Superman Returns HD trailer screen shots

edit: lol....i just went to take some pics of HL2 and my UPS started going crazy....guess I dont have enough juice to support this monitor.....time to upgrade that as well. any tips on how big of a UPS I need to get?

alkoholik said:
btw: my monitor was shipped from TN and it also is a rev A01. :(

also, zero dead pixels from what I can tell....its HUGE and looks amazing.

Same here, got mine on Friday. A01 and... I see banding. It's not everywhere, but anywhere that the colors transition, it's pretty apparent. The monitor is absolutely flawless otherwise. I thought there shouldn't be any banding even on a A01. :confused:

Still trying to get pics...wife has my camera; I'll try to get some up tomorrow night to show what I'm talking about.

dakine99 said:
Right, that makes total sense, but correct me if I'm wrong, isn't that what input lag is all about? The difference between what the video card renders and what the screen is displaying. In other words how much are we losing by playing on a 60hz lcd vs a 100hz crt. If we are just talking monitor electronics then there is virtually no lag difference between the crt@60 and the lcd@60 so it's safe to say that input lag is not a problem on the 2407 other then the inherent lag you get from running @ 60hz.

btw, just spend all day working on mine and I'm loving it. No eye fatigue and loads of space, awesome.

well from what i understand i think input lag is not what you are thinking about... take for example, say if there is 2 different LCD displaying the same information which both refreshes at 60hz, the 1 with input lag will lag comparing to the other 1.. so since they are both at 60hz the video card should be sending the information to them both.. but the lag is mostly likely caused by the electronics .. just like the samsung 244T which uses almost the same (if not the same ) panel as the dell 2405 but why would it lags more than the dell?@@ i hope that explains wat input lag is.

wow... and still not one person on the internet can post pics with the 360..... the reason i haven't bought this monitor yet is because i want to see if 1080i works with component. come on guys help us out here...im not the only one

I have a revision A00, and 1080i looks quite poor through component. Infact, all resolutions look poor through component. VGA, however, looks stunning through component, but theres a problem with that too. If you use the "aspect" setting, which preserves the aspect ratio but stretches it to the screen size (aside from black bars), you get some nasty screen tearing when in VGA mode. This doesn't happen when using component.

Here is a thread of mine at another forum where I have some pictures of component versus VGA. The picture quality is not exactly great but it should give you a rough idea.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=105085&highlight=2407

hey, thats my shot indeed :p

PS: that ice age shot is just a crop of the full sized one :)

Haha, I forgot about that. Yea I got the idea from your shot but mine didn't come out NEARLY as clear, so I just used yours (crediting you of course). Hope ya don't mind =). I wasn't yet registered I don't think when I did it so I couldn't really ask you.

Thanks for the pictures. I heard that the new revisions were supposed to make it better. Are you going to trade your monitor in for a new revision? Also does anyone else have any 360 pictures?

I might take a few later, I just had not felt like it since its all in my entertainment center.

I also dont have a VGA cable, only component.

As far as going for an A02, I dont know, this display has NO dead pixels, perfect evenly done backlighting. Its amazingly beautiful, there is hardly any banding. In short, I love it.

PC resolutions work fine (which they do via nvidia drivers, aka correct 1600x1200)

I'd really like to see the monitor with xbox 360 through the compnent inputs. That's what I'm waiting on before I buy this monitor. If it's not too much trouble could you take a few at 1080i and 720p?

Also, only Nvidia cards will display 1600x1200 correctly? What revision do you have?

I just ordered 2 2407wfp's and 1 2007fp..

Got a 20% discount on the entire order..

We'll see what version I get. She had no clue about banding or A02.

I told her I had the 25% coupon but didn't want to order due to teh banding ishue. She put me on hold and came back with that figure.

I've contacted Dell and should hopefully be receiving an A02 within a couple weeks, although I honestly have no idea of when it will arrive. I will DEFINITELY test the components again with A02 since I would like to use component so that I can not have the awful tearing at proper aspect ratios, (although that may also be fixed, I don't know). I'll be sure to let everyone know and try and take some comparison pictures between the A00 and A02 if they're different.

Anyone with a 2407, do you feel any input lag with your mouse?

I notice that the 2405 suffers from this, I'm wondering if it is fixed with the 2407.

Brent_Justice said:

I notice that the 2405 suffers from this, I'm wondering if it is fixed with the 2407.

I personally dont feel any input lag at all. Now, this is playing counter strike source, and half life 2, and a couple of random RTS game. In the desktop it feels REALLY crisp, im trying to feel lag but i cant.
HOWEVER, i dont have a 2405 to compare to so take it with a grain of salt. It feels just as responsive as my CRT though.

I'm not noticing any, but I haven't done any FPS on it yet, only Oblivion. Might pick up EP1 today to find out..

Brent_Justice said:

Yes, pictures against a CRT would be nice (we did this for the 2405 and 3007 already).

Here are some pictures. Sorry if the quality is not up to par. I don't have time to mess with the camera settings!

3.jpg

9.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

5.jpg

2.jpg

6.jpg

Alright, I finally got the 2407 home and hooked it up to the 360, here's some GRAW comparison shots with my normal 360 monitor. The 2407 is the A01 version.

First shot is the TV next to the 2407

2407 to the lower right of the TV

Next two are the TV with GRAW (sorry about the bad flash glare)

GRAW TV 1
GRAW TV 2

The last two are GRAW on the 2407, I had to adjust the brightness and contrast up to get the image to look better through component

2407 GRAW 1
2407 GRAW 2

are those GRAW pics at 1080i? It's hard to tell whether the game looks good or not with the picture quality. Does anyone else haev some 360 pics?

I posted some in the thread at Gaming age I linked to earlier in the thread. I VASTLY prefer the look of VGA through this monitor to component (we'll see if that changes in A02, though I doubt it). Component looks heavily over saturated and blurry, even after fiddling with all the options. VGA looks presitine and crystal clear. 1080i also seems to visibly jitter due to the alternating interlaced lines, even though I don't think it should be so apparent. Hopefully this is all fixed in A02, especially the jitter because that is absolutely maddening.

The monitor seems to have an odd sometimes-bug with VGA though. For the life of me I haven't been able to track down where exactly the problem is happening, but sometimes if you are running it in aspect mode you get some NASTY screen tearing if you're using VGA. But only sometimes. Now turning off the monitor and turning it back on seems to fix this...sometimes. It gets weirder though. I was experiencing this pretty bad in GRAW. Then I set it to fill, and the problem dissapeared, set it back to aspect, the problem came back, then I exited to the xbox dashboard, and the problem was gone! WHAT...THE...HECK?

I'm still experimenting with this to try and figure out just WTF is really going on but it's quite strange to be sure.

To all you other 2407 owners out there...
The left side of my screen is a bit brighter than the right, just to enough to bug the crap out of me. It doesn't seem to be a backlight problem, as with an all black image it's not noticable. Is anyone else seeing this?

You may be sitting close enough that the sides of the screen lie outside the optimum viewing angle. Make sure your head is position dead center and not a little to the side, because I've noticed that being caused by me being offcenter.

kommissar said:
To all you other 2407 owners out there...
The left side of my screen is a bit brighter than the right, just to enough to bug the crap out of me. It doesn't seem to be a backlight problem, as with an all black image it's not noticable. Is anyone else seeing this?

http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4898

This link should provide more information. Eizo CD240W uses the same panel. Basically it is "normal". 2405 does the same thing. 3007 does this but in opposite direction.

Groto said:
are those GRAW pics at 1080i? It's hard to tell whether the game looks good or not with the picture quality. Does anyone else haev some 360 pics?

GRAW pics are at 720p, game looks fine, as in I'd have no problems playing it, i actually played the end of that mission on the 2407. The only thing I had to do was increase the brightness and the saturation a bit so that it wasn't "too" dark. I moved them both from 50 to 62.

Sony is a KDF-60XS955, I don't have the VGA adaptor, so I can't test with it unfortunately.

Anyone else get their Rev A02 panels? My replacement showed up early this morning and it's an A02. Image comparison pics to come later if nobody else has any up

I ordered on the 9th, got here yesterday. Rev00, but honestly no dead pixels, no backlight bleeding. checked for banding, and glad to say it's without problems, so i'll just be staying with it.

With all the complaints about the new dell 24"...issues with supporting 1080P over DVI, banding..

why aren't people looking at alternatives like the upcoming Benq FP241W.

Raines8416 said:
Its a Grand Wega. We have the same TV in 65 inch. Its deffinatly an amazing TV.

Yeah, I love it, my wife got tired of me hogging the Sammy DLP so she told me to buy a TV just for video games. So that's what I ended up with...

Now using the A02. It's really not much different. I have some pics that I'll put up in a little bit showing the banding being reduced (it's not entirely gone though, there is still banding in the really dark areas and in gradients that move in the up-left direction, oddly enough, but it is pretty faint. No dead pixels, again. Component and VGA look exactly the same as they did on the A00, so if you'll be using the monitor for a 360, invest in the 360 VGA cables. Trust me, the difference is MASSIVE.

EDIT - I should add, it appears I didn't actually have an A00 before, as comparing the banding in multimedia/gaming mode to desktop mode there is an ENORMOUS difference. The previous monitor looked nothing like the banding I saw in these modes just now.

DusanV said:
Yes, pictures against a CRT would be nice (we did this for the 2405 and 3007 already).

If you had read the whole thread you would know that has already been done.

look here: page 2

With both monitors at 60hz the lcd was actually about 1ms faster then my crt. With the crt at 75hz the lcd was between 20-35ms behind the crt. The 2407 has no input lag other then the inherent lag you get from running at 60hz.

Back