*** Official Catalyst 4.5 Thread ***

Hi All (and w1zzard), thanks this came back up, missed it ;)

I'm having some bizarre problems with thw catalyst 4.5 Modded by you w1z.

Every single game I play works fine, EXCEPT Never Winter Nights (last version and with Hords of the Underdark installed, no shadows of unrentide).

When using AtiTool 0.0.20 with it, everytime it turns to 3D mode, (with sound and without), the game freezes (ATITool bug i think). I have tryed without it and the game enters fine, but only runs for some minutes, then suddenly it freezes the whole pc, or just reboot. I'm using the normal clocks for this game, no overclocking at all. I have tryed normal catalyst 4.5 no softmod and the same thing happens just that the game runs for some more minutes (never passing 15 minutes).
Does anyone have the same problem?
I think it is the driver, since the game runs fine with my other computer with a GF3, and with the same version of the game.
P.S: Clean format install, made only a week ago, only driver used is the 4.5's
and i repeat, ALL other games run fine, with or without the AtiTool software.

4.5 causes flickering lights/shadows in DX:IW and Thief 3, I had to downgrade to 4.4. There's a few threads about the same problem on the Ion Storm forums, it seems to be fairly common.

I now get freezing when I change the brightness or gamma in games (mainly D3D). For Example: Max Payne 2, Far Cry, Soldner Beta Demo 2, BF1942, BFV, Call of Duty, etc... Maybe I'll try the Omega's, see if they help :( .

4.5 causes flickering lights/shadows in DX:IW

Alright, so I'm NOT going crazy. Even though other then that I've had a very pleasent time with the 4.5's.....I might have to go back to the 4.4's for gaming purposes. On a positive note.....the 4.5's made up for some of the lost ground in my 3DMark2001 and Aquamark3 scores with the 4.4's.....and the 4.5's also netted me another 50-70 points in 3DMark03.....just 3 points short of 7,500. ;)

So from what I just read, I'm guessing it's better to stay with the 4.4's for now?

I had a problem with the 4.4 and 4.5 Catalyst drivers with KOTOR (Knights of the Old Republic), the game was very sluggish and jerky. I knew there was something wrong, because it was just as bad no matter what my settings where, low compared to high, it was the same deal (I have a Sapphire Radeon 9600 PRO). So I did some researching on the internet, and found a link that told me the problems was the drivers ( http://swforums.bioware.com/viewtopic.html?topic=352372&forum=80 ) , and the best drivers to use with that game are 4.2, so thats what I've got know, and the game runs great. I have yet to find out if it effected any of my other games, which all ran perfectly before, I only put it on last night. Thats all I've got to say about Catalyst drivers, i was pretty mad when I found out i needed to download 4.2, i'm on dialup, took me 2 and a half hours!

Ohmsford said:
I had a problem with the 4.4 and 4.5 Catalyst drivers with KOTOR (Knights of the Old Republic), the game was very sluggish and jerky. I knew there was something wrong, because it was just as bad no matter what my settings where, low compared to high, it was the same deal (I have a Sapphire Radeon 9600 PRO). So I did some researching on the internet, and found a link that told me the problems was the drivers ( http://swforums.bioware.com/viewtopic.html?topic=352372&forum=80 ) , and the best drivers to use with that game are 4.2, so thats what I've got know, and the game runs great. I have yet to find out if it effected any of my other games, which all ran perfectly before, I only put it on last night. Thats all I've got to say about Catalyst drivers, i was pretty mad when I found out i needed to download 4.2, i'm on dialup, took me 2 and a half hours!
I hope 4.6 fixes this.

Well, 4.6 should come soon. The constant driver updating is interesting, and shows their commitment, but also can result in some booboos.

I'm still running 4.4s, never even looked in to 4.5s cuz I was too busy.

if everything works well in the games you like, why upgrade drivers?

seems like they cause more issues than they address

jsn117 said:
if everything works well in the games you like, why upgrade drivers?

seems like they cause more issues than they address
I found my performance has increased a bit after upgrading from the 4.4's to the 4.5's.

I tried them.. At first was happy but then when I would enter my game (raven shield) mouse would stop working. Also every once in a while when I would alt + tab then click back on the game it would keep minimizing and maximizing non stop. Went back to 4.4 and it went away.

Back