OFFICIAL: Catalyst 14.1 Specific Installation / Support / Issues Feedback Thread

Catalyst 14.1 beta doesn't get along with Rome 2, screen freezes couple of seconds after starting a game. I did like having the luxury of running Battlefield 4 supersampled with Mantle, but I'm rolling back drivers so I can keep playing Rome 2.

try rebooting, i had issues with tomb raider and DA:2 until i rebooted.

Anyone else having an issue where the CCC doesn't give you the option to enable xfire?

I'm getting intermittent artifacts on my desktop. Reinstalled 14.1 drivers and the artifacts are back. I properly cleaned the drivers before install.

I've yet to notice them when Chrome isn't running, but that may be mere coincidence. Sometimes they get worse, though I cannot figure out why.

I'm running a 290 reference with a 2600k @ 4.8

BUT, the actual BUG that I have is as follows: Regardless of any video settings in BF4, I get a MASSIVE fps drop when zooming in on certain maps. For example, on Zavod with DX11 I may average 100fps, and about 80 when zoomed into the forest. With Mantle, I'm getting 120fps and about 40 when zoomed in on the forest or buildings. I can put my graphics at low, peg my fps at 200, and it still drops to ~45-50 when zoomed. It's better on other maps, but still borderline unplayable for sniping.

you aren't alone -- i did a CLEAN install of 14.1 drivers on Win8.1 64 bit. 2500k overclocked, R9 290's crossfire.

BF4 patched with mantle and I have crappier performance than I did with 13.12 and DX11. Crossfire seems totally broken.

Only getting 20-30fps on ultra quality at 1440p... disabling crossfire does not help, in fact when I try to run the game on a single card, I get a total freeze of BF4.exe and have to ctrl-alt-delete. Also seems the driver has some issue with Win8.1 and sleep/monitor deactivation.

Stepped away from the PC for a while, came back to a non responsive display (you could hear windows doing things in the background if I clicked around, but couldnt get a task manager or anything, had to hard boot.

I also get audio corruption if I activate vsync in game.

My feedback? Just as I though -- AMD's latest driver "fixes" one thing and breaks 5 others. My first experience with mantle is total garbage. I realize others out there are getting great results and that's awesome. For me this is the same as any other AMD release though... broken shit. You can't say I don't support AMD, I have 6 high end cards in my house alone, too bad getting a working stable driver seems to be an impossibility.

I dont get 20-30 fps at the same settings you get. I do get a rather constant 50fps but thats the same I get with a single 290. I think CF is broken.

when I get some free time I'm going to have to try reinstalling these drivers. Right now I'm seeing the following:
- does not downclock to 2D clocks
- card throttles in BF4 regardless of temperature (did not do this with 13.11 drivers)
- drivers do not play nice with Afterburner beta 17 and BF4. Don't know which piece of software to blame for this. Periodically, on launching BF4 the screen will go black and I have to kill the process. After that I get 100% GPU usage regardless of what I'm doing (desktop, web browsing, etc.) if afterburner is still running. Closing afterburner fixes it, but as soon as I relaunch AB the card ramps back up to 100% usage.

Anyone else getting stuff like this?

I did not do a clean swipe when i went to 14.1. I havn't played bf4 yet just have been mining with my 290x. For mining performance anyway I have always been pegged at 879/880 kh/s now im at 881/882 with 14.1. So iv actually gained a kh/s. Maybe its just me, idk, but my rejections have gone down from 5% to 1% also. No matter what coin i mined i was at 5%, now its 1%.

having some issues with internet video playback, while using 14.1 on a 7870. Via Facebook's own video player, sometimes the audio is choppy.

Via Youtube, sometimes if I leave a video playing and then look at a different browser tab, the audio will hitch and drop out repeatedly, until I return to the tab with the video playing. It then immediately becomes smoooth again.

Well i tried bf4, i can't get into the options menu or the whole game crashes to load out, no matter what im playing, whether it be campaign or multi or test. So i can't even turn on mantle, but i can still play as long as i don't try to get into options.

Edit. found out i needed to disable integrated graphics, which caused mantle to work. First game i went into i had no sound, switched maps and it worked great, but had the odd stutter every now and then.

Last edited:
having some issues with internet video playback, while using 14.1 on a 7870. Via Facebook's own video player, sometimes the audio is choppy.

Via Youtube, sometimes if I leave a video playing and then look at a different browser tab, the audio will hitch and drop out repeatedly, until I return to the tab with the video playing. It then immediately becomes smoooth again.

Just had an instance where I was watching a youtube vid, and while it was still playing, I did a search from the youtube search bar at the top of the same page the video was playing on.

The results displayed. the audio from the video was still going, even though it was now showing the search results.

My eyefinity setup was working just fine before I installed 14.1 drivers.

Uninstalled old drivers, ran CCleaner. When installing new drivers, all 3 screens flickered once, showed signal, then dropped and never came back. Had to restart the computer.

Did all these steps again but now I can only run two monitors. I do have an working active adapter since it was working before the drivers. I've uninstalled and went back to 13.12, and I STILL can only pick up two monitors. Device manager is picking up all 3. Any ideas?

FIXED: I put a passive adapter on my DVI and put in my mini DP, picked up 3 right off...

Last edited by a moderator:
Will 14.1 fix the black screen problem I've started getting since upgrading to 13 ?:confused:

I'm getting intermittent artifacts on my desktop. Reinstalled 14.1 drivers and the artifacts are back. I properly cleaned the drivers before install.

I've yet to notice them when Chrome isn't running, but that may be mere coincidence. Sometimes they get worse, though I cannot figure out why.

I'm having this same issue when Chrome is open. Get random artifacts in my browser window. Sometimes they get pretty bad. Glad it's not just me.

I'm having this same issue when Chrome is open. Get random artifacts in my browser window. Sometimes they get pretty bad. Glad it's not just me.

I lowered my memory clock to 1200 from 1250 to see if that was at issue--I know that desktop artifacts are a common sign of an unstable overclock...

It actually seemed to help the stability (BF4 stopped crashing every other time I went to open it), but I still had artifacts this morning and my computer froze overnight.

BF4 locks up when trying to load any map. The install went fine, but it was after I switched to mantle in BF4 that I started getting problems. Back to 13.12 :(

Then follow Lorien's instructions for getting CrossfireX working here.

If you don't use the program in Brent's post to remove all instances of the old drivers in safe mode you're going to have a bad experience with Mantle. This is probably the number one reason why they delayed release. Hope this helps!

Intresting. Will give it a whirl later on. In my case just every dx10 and 11 game have very low perf followed by a BSOD same with Mantle.
Btw I thought driverinstallation is alway's standard excecuted as (local) admin?

normally it is, but there have been several reports of people losing performance after reboot if not installed as admin.

Follow Brent's instructions for installing the driver here.

Then follow Lorien's instructions for getting CrossfireX working here.

If you don't use the program in Brent's post to remove all instances of the old drivers in safe mode you're going to have a bad experience with Mantle. This is probably the number one reason why they delayed release. Hope this helps!

While BF4 Crossfire worked fine with my 7970's, I still had artifacts on the desktop while mining.

Not barely OC'd either, 950/1450

I'm wondering if everybody using 14.1 installed Hydravision it comes as default. Recently removed it see how well it goes without. (mainly for BF4 mantle testing)

Hydravision only installs by default if you have more than one monitor.

edit: nm, just found the app running. wierd. uninstalling.

ed2: uninstalling through CIM does not get rid of it, wiping and reinstalling custom.

ed3: that worked. my core isnt maxing on desktop anymore.

Last edited:
Is there any point to installing these when I'm running Crossfire'd 6970s?

I ended up uninstalling 14.1, wiping everything with driver fusion and display driver uninstaller, and went back to 13.12whql.

the 14.1 drivers are too buggy in windows, for my daily use. I was getting lots of internet video issues (stutters, tearing even though V-Sync was set to be "always on", etc) and sound sync issues. Today I had no sound for internet video, but did have sound via Media Player Classic. I had to restart to get internet video sound back.

I also had some display/GUI corruption in PSCX2.

13.12whql gave me the ol' mouse pointer corruption glitch a couple of days before 14.1 came out. That was supposed to have been fixed for good....

Dear AMD,

Please fix your driver crashing when I watch videos online. I can play BF4 but I can't watch the SuperBowl highlights on www.nfl.com. That makes no sense at all. It's embarrassing.

Thx

I'm on Win7 and 14.1 is crashing all the games I've been benching the new 290x cards with. I did get Star Swarm to run and it had a nice frame rate bump. Used the AMD uninstall and DDU, twice but no go for Tomb Rader, Company of Heroes 2 and DATO 2. :(

Can't play BF4 due to
QlP7UCPl.png

(Flash) video will lead to bluescreen(!) from time to time. This seems related to startup/resize so probably a clock-gating thing. This also happened with 13.12 aka when I switched to the R290.

Getting a most annoying artefact type flickering on the toolbar, and some web-pages look like there's chunks missing.

Game-wise seems OK, so far.

BUT, the actual BUG that I have is as follows: Regardless of any video settings in BF4, I get a MASSIVE fps drop when zooming in on certain maps. For example, on Zavod with DX11 I may average 100fps, and about 80 when zoomed into the forest. With Mantle, I'm getting 120fps and about 40 when zoomed in on the forest or buildings. I can put my graphics at low, peg my fps at 200, and it still drops to ~45-50 when zoomed. It's better on other maps, but still borderline unplayable for sniping.

Getting a most annoying artefact type flickering on the toolbar, and some web-pages look like there's chunks missing.

Game-wise seems OK, so far.

Same issues here. Back to 13.12Whql. Gigabyte R9 290

Was wondering, after browsing the four pages here and because literally all my games are running better w/14.1 :eek:; have those of you w/the framerate drops, not the crashes although this can also help alleviate some crashes as well, checked the GPU-z PCI-e bus interface speeds? My setup includes mixed resolution dual monitors if that at all matters. I had an issue similar to those experiencing the FPS drops a while back and discovered that the rails downclocked to PCI-e 1.1 i.e x1 speeds for a reason still unknown[MIght have been from uninstalling the cards from the device manager after cleanin out the driver software which is no longer part of my uninstall practice]. Either way, once the rails were back to full operational capacity(x16) the frames increased dramatically and most games DX9 and up ran much more smoothly. Hadn't noticed anyone mention GPU-z status at all. Aside from the abrupt crashes this may be an avenue that can explain the FPS drops at least. Check and see if your rail/rails are at full speed also. This is by no means the end all fix but may help w/some performance loss experienced.

Last edited:
I had issues on my work computer where the 13.12 drivers would reset. That would cause Virtualbox machines to lock up. It looks like these drivers have fixed the issue so far. This is all on a Windows 8.1 Pro 64 bit installation.

Back