OFFICIAL: BF4 Mantle Cat 14.1 Performance and Feedback Thread

not to mention key fundamental problems. MANY people use AMD for mining as well as gaming, I have read numerous reports of a massive loss in mining performance and overall seems substandard gaming performance as well in the majority of cases. It is one of those things that shows AMD may not have the numbers of testers they need for all their cards are supposed to be capable of. I will use nothing else however I will stick with what works for me, and at this point it is 13.9 driver set.

I just wanted to comment to see if anyone else if having CrossfireX (290x's) issues with DX on the 14.1 v1.6's, in dx it crashes and in mantle it crashes faster. Saw they suggest DX mode now anyway. Both cards run GREAT in single card and/or with CFX disabled, but as soon at CFX goes active BF4 crashes (other games work fine)

I just wanted to comment to see if anyone else if having CrossfireX (290x's) issues with DX on the 14.1 v1.6's, in dx it crashes and in mantle it crashes faster. Saw they suggest DX mode now anyway. Both cards run GREAT in single card and/or with CFX disabled, but as soon at CFX goes active BF4 crashes (other games work fine)

The same thing occurs with me, except, when I disable one card, the condition does not get any better.

Pfft, 7xxx/280x....throw them in the garbage where they belong, crossfire bridges are a thing of the past

290 is the future

Yeah I'll do that... And pay $150+ over retail because the 290 is the future... <eye roll>

More gamers own 7xxx cards than R9s...

and most of the R series are rebrands or tweaks of 7k and all 8k series are rebrand 7k cards then most folks who own modern generation cards technically own a 7k series card regardless of the numbering attached to it :)

Yeah I'll do that... And pay $150+ over retail because the 290 is the future... <eye roll>

More gamers own 7xxx cards than R9s...

Just like more gamers own 6xx series than 7xx, most people don't upgrade each gen and most people get cards after a new generation has already come out

But myself I got rid of my 7950 for crossfire 290x's at msrp because crossfire/sli bridges are for chumps

Just like more gamers own 6xx series than 7xx, most people don't upgrade each gen and most people get cards after a new generation has already come out

But myself I got rid of my 7950 for crossfire 290x's at msrp because crossfire/sli bridges are for chumps

I don't usually respond to drivel like this but I'm in a bad mood today. You sound like a spoiled little shit in your last 2 posts. Not everyone can afford $1k+ for new video cards. AMD's support of the 7k/280 series has been pretty lacking and it's kinda bullshit.

Enjoy your cards ...

^He's being sarcastic, dude, chill. He doesn't really think anybody with less than crossfire 290x's is a chump.

Back on topic, even though Mantle isn't finished for 7850's, I do notice the frame pacing is a lot better on mine. Less tearing and whenever the framerate drops, they're more evenly spaced. I've really noticed it now that the last patch has broken D3D, so I've been forced to use Mantle. Sucks having to move textures down to high and drop my resolution slightly, but it'll do until the next patch comes out.

^He's being sarcastic, dude, chill. He doesn't really think anybody with less than crossfire 290x's is a chump.

Back on topic, even though Mantle isn't finished for 7850's, I do notice the frame pacing is a lot better on mine. Less tearing and whenever the framerate drops, they're more evenly spaced. I've really noticed it now that the last patch has broken D3D, so I've been forced to use Mantle. Sucks having to move textures down to high and drop my resolution slightly, but it'll do until the next patch comes out.

Forums totally need this then:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irony_punctuation

the thing is, the MAJORITY of discrete card users are not using 290s and such from AMD, they need to focus on the more mainstream higher numbers first and preliminary support on the top end cards, then when the time comes for say something like Mantle they can show that the performance increase for the general user is x more performance however if you can afford the top end gear the before and after is a massive amount more increase.

The not needing bridge thing is awesome truly is I thought that was one of the coolest pieces of change with the new series, HSA and so forth are a really fly design choice as well however they will take years to see a direct benefit it seems for most users. Anyways point is that, if there is 10x the numbers of say 7800 series then the 7900 series and they both have 10x the numbers then the 29x series has, then why in the hell should the newer stuff be more fully supported for something they are all supposed to be capable of, make sure they all get good support, and not just the choosen few.

Catering to a few is what ruins things not makes them any better, though I understand form a cost perspective they should definitely be taking care of their new cards though do not forget it wasn't that long ago the 7k series was expensive as well (not talking the recent hikes due to mining)

I tried installing 14.1 for the second time on my system, which includes 290s in crossfire.
These drivers are horrific. B4 would crash and freeze after a few seconds, and programs like heaven benchmark would show that I am getting less performance than a single card - about 15 percent less.

I installed the drivers the correct way. Also, for the second time, removing these drivers was like trying to remove a virus from my computer. I uninstalled, restarted, then restarted in safe mode to use DDU, installed 13.12, and still had horrible performance issues. I had to do this entire uninstall process 3 times before my system went back to normal. It is highly disappointing that amd would release a driver like this.

Do you know that these are Beta Drivers?

Directly from AMD on these drivers before you choose to download them:

Known Issues

&#9726;Mantle performance for the AMD Radeon&#8482; HD 7000/HD 8000 Series GPUs and AMD Radeon&#8482; R9 280X and R9 270X GPUs will be optimized for BattleField 4&#8482; in future AMD Catalyst&#8482; releases. These products will see limited gains in BattleField 4&#8482; and AMD is currently investigating optimizations for them.

&#9726;Multi-GPU support under DirectX® and Mantle will be added to StarSwarm in a future application patch

&#9726;Intermittent stuttering or stability issues may occur when utilizing Mantle with AMD CrossFire&#8482; technology in BattleField 4&#8482; - AMD recommends using the DirectX code path when playing Battlefield 4 with multiple GPUs. A future AMD Catalyst release will resolve these issues&#9726;Notebooks based on AMD Enduro or PowerXpress&#8482; technologies are currently not supported by the Mantle codepath in Battlefield 4&#8482;

&#9726;AMD Eyefinity configurations utilizing portrait display orientations are currently not supported by the Mantle codepath in Battlefield 4&#8482;

&#9726;AMD Eyefinity technology is not currently supported in the Star Swarm&#8203; application

&#9726;AMD testing for the AMD Catalyst&#8482; 14.1 Beta Mantle driver has been concentrated on the following products: AMD Radeon&#8482; R9 290X, R9 290, R9 280, R9 270, R7 260X, R7 260, HD 7000 Series, HD 8000 Series, A10-7850K and A10-7700K. Future AMD Catalyst&#8482; releases will include full test coverage for all AMD products supported by Mantle.

&#9726;Graphics hardware in the AMD A10-7850K and A10-7700K may override the presence of a discrete GPU under the Mantle code path in Battlefield 4&#8482;

&#9726;Frame Pacing for Dual Graphics and non-XDMA configurations above 2560x1600 do not currently work with Battlefield 3 and Battlefield 4. An upcoming release will enable support

&#9726;DX9 Dual graphics is not supported in AMD Catalyst 14.1 Beta. An upcoming release will enable support

http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/latest-catalyst-windows-beta.aspx

Last edited:
If they concentrated on the gcn1.0 cards first we'd have the owners of Hawaii cards saying they dropped X millions of dollars and they aren't being treated like they are the elite spenders that they are. Either way someone would be left out and unhappy.

The obvious move is to increase the performance of your halo parts. This shouldn't need to be explained.

Do you know that these are Beta Drivers?

Directly from AMD on these drivers before you choose to download them:

Known Issues

&#9726;Mantle performance for the AMD Radeon&#8482; HD 7000/HD 8000 Series GPUs and AMD Radeon&#8482; R9 280X and R9 270X GPUs will be optimized for BattleField 4&#8482; in future AMD Catalyst&#8482; releases. These products will see limited gains in BattleField 4&#8482; and AMD is currently investigating optimizations for them.

&#9726;Multi-GPU support under DirectX® and Mantle will be added to StarSwarm in a future application patch

&#9726;Intermittent stuttering or stability issues may occur when utilizing Mantle with AMD CrossFire&#8482; technology in BattleField 4&#8482; - AMD recommends using the DirectX code path when playing Battlefield 4 with multiple GPUs. A future AMD Catalyst release will resolve these issues

&#9726;Notebooks based on AMD Enduro or PowerXpress&#8482; technologies are currently not supported by the Mantle codepath in Battlefield 4&#8482;

&#9726;AMD Eyefinity configurations utilizing portrait display orientations are currently not supported by the Mantle codepath in Battlefield 4&#8482;

&#9726;AMD Eyefinity technology is not currently supported in the Star Swarm&#8203; application

&#9726;AMD testing for the AMD Catalyst&#8482; 14.1 Beta Mantle driver has been concentrated on the following products: AMD Radeon&#8482; R9 290X, R9 290, R9 280, R9 270, R7 260X, R7 260, HD 7000 Series, HD 8000 Series, A10-7850K and A10-7700K. Future AMD Catalyst&#8482; releases will include full test coverage for all AMD products supported by Mantle.

&#9726;Graphics hardware in the AMD A10-7850K and A10-7700K may override the presence of a discrete GPU under the Mantle code path in Battlefield 4&#8482;

&#9726;Frame Pacing for Dual Graphics and non-XDMA configurations above 2560x1600 do not currently work with Battlefield 3 and Battlefield 4. An upcoming release will enable support

&#9726;DX9 Dual graphics is not supported in AMD Catalyst 14.1 Beta. An upcoming release will enable support

http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/latest-catalyst-windows-beta.aspx

Firstly, I am well are that these are "beta" drivers, akin to other beta drivers I have installed over the years from both Nvidia and AMD.

Now, let me explain why your copy/paste post of AMD's release notes only serves to prove the validity of my complaints.

First and foremost, the release notes clearly state, "Beta Mantle driver has been concentrated on the following products: AMD Radeon&#8482; R9 290X, R9 290...", implying that thorough testing had been performed on the cards I possess, the R9 290.

Secondly, AMD states that stability issues arise in Battlefield 4 when using Mantle. If your working memory enabled you enough processing ability to read my earlier post, you would realize that I stated the issue was not only regarding to the Mantle API in BF4, rather, it pertained to the 14.1 drivers as a whole and how the driver wreaked havoc on my system. In the release notes, AMD recommends to use DirectX in BF4, until, and I emphasize, Mantle issues are resolved. However, if you have read my post, you will realize that the 14.1 drivers did not allow me to play BF4 under DirectX, as it would freeze my system once the game loaded a map, forcing me to perform a hard reset.

Since you seem unable to keep track of my sentences, I will again repeat - my issues, similar to the experience of others on this, and other forums, are far worse than what the release notes warn of. Not only is BF4 unplayable under either API, but, if you reread my previous post(s), you might see where I exclaimed the 14.1 drivers affected general system performance, such as that in heaven benchmark, where my FPS in a crossfire setup were 10 to 15 percent below the expected results of a single card; to add, as previously mentioned, disabling crossfire resulted in a progressive decrease in performance.

Not one of the aforementioned issues, aside from Mantle instability in BF4 - take note: MANTLE instability ONLY in BF4 - are presented in AMD's release notes, with the worst of my issues being, the difficulty in wiping the system clean of these drivers.

You have wasted precious minutes of my time this evening, though I was compelled to respond to your cliche post, with hopes of bringing a touch of enlightenment to you. Goodnight.

Last edited:
They seem to run great for me on my 290x, I didn't do any real tests but the graphics seem smoother. I'm also mining with this system when not gaming, my hash rate seems about the same.

Firstly, I am well are that these are "beta" drivers, akin to other beta drivers I have installed over the years from both Nvidia and AMD.

Now, let me explain why your copy/paste post of AMD's release notes only serves to prove the validity of my complaints.

First and foremost, the release notes clearly state, "Beta Mantle driver has been concentrated on the following products: AMD Radeon&#8482; R9 290X, R9 290...", implying that thorough testing had been performed on the cards I possess, the R9 290.

Secondly, AMD states that stability issues arise in Battlefield 4 when using Mantle. If your working memory enabled you enough processing ability to read my earlier post, you would realize that I stated the issue was not only regarding to the Mantle API in BF4, rather, it pertained to the 14.1 drivers as a whole and how the driver wreaked havoc on my system. In the release notes, AMD recommends to use DirectX in BF4, until, and I emphasize, Mantle issues are resolved. However, if you have read my post, you will realize that the 14.1 drivers did not allow me to play BF4 under DirectX, as it would freeze my system once the game loaded a map, forcing me to perform a hard reset.

Since you seem unable to keep track of my sentences, I will again repeat - my issues, similar to the experience of others on this, and other forums, are far worse than what the release notes warn of. Not only is BF4 unplayable under either API, but, if you reread my previous post(s), you might see where I exclaimed the 14.1 drivers affected general system performance, such as that in heaven benchmark, where my FPS in a crossfire setup were 10 to 15 percent below the expected results of a single card; to add, as previously mentioned, disabling crossfire resulted in a progressive decrease in performance.

Not one of the aforementioned issues, aside from Mantle instability in BF4 - take note: MANTLE instability ONLY in BF4 - are presented in AMD's release notes, with the worst of my issues being, the difficulty in wiping the system clean of these drivers.

You have wasted precious minutes of my time this evening, though I was compelled to respond to your cliche post, with hopes of bringing a touch of enlightenment to you. Goodnight.

Your post I quoted doesn't specify if its Mantle or DX you complained about, but since this thread is about Mantle I assumed you weren't talking about DX.

what you're saying is that 14.1 driver is pure crap for both DX and Mantle on your machine? if so, don't use it.

Your post I quoted doesn't specify if its Mantle or DX you complained about, but since this thread is about Mantle I assumed you weren't talking about DX.

what you're saying is that 14.1 driver is pure crap for both DX and Mantle on your machine? if so, don't use it.

It is not my responsibility to ensure that you actually read a thread, as opposed to resorting to tunnel vision when it comes to responding to a topic.

If you had only read the post you quoted, you would see I am no longer using 14.1 drivers, as I explained how difficult it was in removing all remnants of the driver from the system in order to achieve pre - 14.1 stability. Thank you for the obvious advice presented at the closing of your post.

I must be very unlucky. I actually got worse performance with Mantle on 3600x1920. I skipped 14.1 because there wasn't support for eyefinity portrait. Now with 14.2, it's working...sorta...
I cleared 13.12 twice with DDU and return my cards to stock speed on quite mode. With Mantle on, there are white border on my screen(screenshot doesn't show it).
I went ahead and go into an empty Firestorm 2014 map and stood in the same place to take the screenshots switching back from DX11 and Mantle. I did it at least 4 times to make sure I didn't mess up and the results are the same.
In conclusion, Mantle give me worse performance while running eyefinity portrait 3600x1920 with two 290x. GG AMD.

14nof5.jpg

Sieg, that's strange, maybe crossfire related? you are getting white borders, so something is wrong.

I am getting +30 fps on min-fps and +40fps for high-fps on my machine.

Single AMD 290, with Intel 4770k at 4.4ghz, Win8.1

Sieg, that's strange, maybe crossfire related? you are getting white borders, so something is wrong.

Okay I've somewhat figured it out. It turns out that even though it said fullscreen on the ingame setting. It's not due to the white border. It's like running borderless and my 2nd card isn't working therefore explain the bad fps. Now going back to DX11 and running fullscreen. It's the actual fullscreen and I can see my 2nd card being fully utilize. So Mantle is still a no go for me or other people doing eyefinity portrait. Back to DX11 and 13.12 :(

14.2 beta driver, system in signature.

Recorded on a 32 player Gulf of Oman Conquest server. 2560x1440, Ultra, 4X MSAA, standard resolution scaling.

zTxnGBy.png

Has anyone else experienced any weird behavior when alt+tabbing in BF4 when running the Mantle renderer? Sometimes my framerate will drop considerably after I alt+tab out for a moment, say to write an email, then tab back in. Alt+tabbing back and forth again sometimes fixes it.

I've also seen some issues running Resolution Scaling - it seems to be a huge performance hit at 125% scaling even though I am getting >120fps at 2560x1440 4X MSAA. As in, a larger performance hit than I would have expected given my performance elsewhere.

Anyone else seen this?

Has anyone else experienced any weird behavior when alt+tabbing in BF4 when running the Mantle renderer? Sometimes my framerate will drop considerably after I alt+tab out for a moment, say to write an email, then tab back in. Alt+tabbing back and forth again sometimes fixes it.

I've also seen some issues running Resolution Scaling - it seems to be a huge performance hit at 125% scaling even though I am getting >120fps at 2560x1440 4X MSAA. As in, a larger performance hit than I would have expected given my performance elsewhere.

Anyone else seen this?

Resolution scale seems broken to me, at least in my testing of it. If you go much beyond 125%, it'll use all your VRAM and kick performance in the nuts. At 125% and under, performance drops a lot.

14.2 beta driver, system in signature.

Recorded on a 32 player Gulf of Oman Conquest server. 2560x1440, Ultra, 4X MSAA, standard resolution scaling.

zTxnGBy.png

Can either of you compare VRAM usage between DX11 and Mantle using GPU-Z?

Resolution scale seems broken to me, at least in my testing of it. If you go much beyond 125%, it'll use all your VRAM and kick performance in the nuts. At 125% and under, performance drops a lot.
Yeah this is exactly what I am seeing too. I wanted to make sure it's not just my machine.

Back