Official BenQ FP241W Thread !!! Info, Pictures, Reviews

Will I be able to PIP the HDMI input while using DVI? Also, does the PIP window always stay on top of the other windows or can it be in the background?
Unfortunately not. You can PIP one of HDMI-DVI-VGA-Component or one of S video-Composite. I know, stinks. You can move the PIP anywhere in addition to 3 size options, but the window always stay on top.

MAJOR UPDATE!!

I just heard from NCIX that this monitor model is in the process of either being discontinued or no longer being distributed in America. The stock they had is no gone and they only expect another small shipment of left-overs.

If you still want this monitor, better act soon!

Good thing I got in on this then. Good panels are going extinct for TN's, definitely get in on these before they go. Waiting for new monitors are never good since they always never seem to get it right on the first revisions.

->randyf, thanks for the reply. that seems to defeat the purpose of PIP. everyone's using either DVI, HDMI, VGA, or COMPONENT nowadays. why in the world would someone want to PIP a s-video or composite signal for? and to even think about using s-video or composite as the main source, might as well use a TV, it'll look better. anyone know how the PIP function works on the dells or gateway?

also, i think i may have read it within this thread, but is it true that most of the 28" and below models are going to be solely TN panels from now on? where are you guys getting the source for this information?

->randyf, thanks for the reply. that seems to defeat the purpose of PIP. everyone's using either DVI, HDMI, VGA, or COMPONENT nowadays. why in the world would someone want to PIP a s-video or composite signal for? and to even think about using s-video or composite as the main source, might as well use a TV, it'll look better. anyone know how the PIP function works on the dells or gateway?

also, i think i may have read it within this thread, but is it true that most of the 28" and below models are going to be solely TN panels from now on? where are you guys getting the source for this information?

That is the general consensus of forums I was reading too. As you can see the new 24" LCD monitors that are coming out by major manufacturers are TN panels and around the price range of $400 for average consumers. They couldn't tell if they are TN, MVA, I-PS, PVA panels anyway, so only the prices matter. If the manufactuers can cheaply make the 24" monitors and sell for the same profit margin but at much more quantity, they will make more money. Why not?

While I wish they were not using TN panels the biggest issue seems to be viewing angle. This is not a huge issue for me since I will be sitting in front of it using it alone. But I really want to have PIP where I can view HDMI/DVI and Component Video at the same time without overscanning issues. My Cable Box, DVD Player and XBOX 360 all connect to a surround sound system which is my switch. I have this going to my TV via HDMI. I was thinking about using the surround sound receiver's Component Video out to connect to a 24 inch LCD monitor and then connect my PC to the monitor's HDMI/DVI. But I want to have PIP across these two. Does anyone know of any monitors that support that and don't have picture issues?

Just wanting to ask again, what is the best place to get a BenQ from online/in person in the USA? I want to grab the latest revision before they phase to TN panels.

Just wanting to ask again, what is the best place to get a BenQ from online/in person in the USA? I want to grab the latest revision before they phase to TN panels.

NCIX... They ship to US... or does it have to be a US company?

Yeah, but if I go with NCIX I'm SOL if I get a dead pixel with the zero dead pixel warrenty... I'll buy it soon, it won't come until near the end of my university break, and if it has dead pixels, I'll have to ship it back and then wait again for it, by then I've be back at uni and I won't be able to test it since it will arrive back at my home.

That's why I'm wondering if any brick and mortar stores carry BenQ, easier to swap out/return... if anyone must know, my ZIP is 52722 for the USA...

Yeah, but if I go with NCIX I'm SOL if I get a dead pixel with the zero dead pixel warrenty... I'll buy it soon, it won't come until near the end of my university break, and if it has dead pixels, I'll have to ship it back and then wait again for it, by then I've be back at uni and I won't be able to test it since it will arrive back at my home.

That's why I'm wondering if any brick and mortar stores carry BenQ, easier to swap out/return... if anyone must know, my ZIP is 52722 for the USA...

http://www.ncix.com/go/?expresscoverage

That CoverageExpress said they do a credit type thing and will cover shipping too. Worth the 30 bucks probably.

Free ground shipping of RMA units to NCIX.com, and free shipping for replacement products back to you.

Cross shipping of a replacement replacement unit straight out of our extensive inventory -- AFTER getting authorization from us, simply purchase the authorized replacement product from us again, and we will credit your payment back when the RMA unit has been received. (Only if products are currently available.)

If you want this monitor right away, do not order it from NCIX. I placed my order last Friday (the 7th, from NCIXUS.com) and it has yet to ship.

The site said the FP241W was in stock when I placed my order. Maybe I'm just used to NewEgg shipping speed. :mad:

If you want this monitor right away, do not order it from NCIX. I placed my order last Friday (the 7th, from NCIXUS.com) and it has yet to ship.

The site said the FP241W was in stock when I placed my order. Maybe I'm just used to NewEgg shipping speed. :mad:

Mine said it wasn't in stock when I put in my order, and mine shipped after they got some in stock. This was Monday. They gave me a tracking number as well and mines already pretty close. I would call to make sure nothing's wrong. :eek:

NOTE: I am in the US. Not sure if it's longer for Canadian residents.

An NCIX guy on their forum says they'll get new stock today or tomorrow. EDIT: Looks like they got some units. One guy says his order got shipped today. Probably wait out the rest of today and tomorrow and if nothing happens by later tomorrow, call NCIX. (Mine hasn't shipped either.)

Mine shipped yesterday to be delivered tomorrow.

I will post results here.

I imagine it be will Sept 07

I'm wondering if any brick and mortar stores carry BenQ, easier to swap out/return... if anyone must know, my ZIP is 52722 for the USA...
In a quick search last month, I didn't find any brick & mortar suppliers in the U.S. In terms of U.S. online retailers, there have been posts here from those who have purchased from newegg.com and thenerds.net (where I got my W September build).

If BenQ is discontinuing this model, according to the NCIX forums, then what could this possibly mean for warranty repairs and replacements? It would be a total bummer to send this bad boy to BenQ for a repair and then get it back realizing you have a TN panel instead of an A-MVA.

If BenQ is discontinuing this model, according to the NCIX forums, then what could this possibly mean for warranty repairs and replacements? It would be a total bummer to send this bad boy to BenQ for a repair and then get it back realizing you have a TN panel instead of an A-MVA.

There is no point worrying about when your LCD monitor is going to need of repair since LCD prices have been dropping so fast.

5 years ago, I bought a NEC 18" LCD monitor for more than $1000; now you can get 19" for less than $200.

2 years ago, I bought a BenQ 37" 1920x1080i LCD HDTV for $2500; now I can buy a Sharp 52" 1920x1080p 120Mhz LCD HDTV for $2500.

Maybe in about 2 years, you can buy a 30" 2560x1600 monitor for $600.

There is simply no point to worry about your warrenty.

There is no point worrying about when your LCD monitor is going to need of repair since LCD prices have been dropping so fast.

5 years ago, I bought a NEC 18" LCD monitor for more than $1000; now you can get 19" for less than $200.

2 years ago, I bought a BenQ 37" 1920x1080i LCD HDTV for $2500; now I can buy a Sharp 52" 1920x1080p 120Mhz LCD HDTV for $2500.

Maybe in about 2 years, you can buy a 30" 2560x1600 monitor for $600.

There is simply no point to worry about your warrenty.

i understand what your saying, but why buy a new monitor when i have one still under warranty. of course, if warranty runs out, i'd consider your option of replacing it, but i can't find any justification in spending another $600 due to minor repair issues within the warranty time period. anyways, mainstream hi-def (OTA, blu-ray, hd-dvd, satellite, etc.) is gonna remain 1080p for a while. not much of a computer gamer so 1920x1200 is way more than enough for me at the moment. plus, i wasn't concerned about replacing the monitor, i was concerned about how warranty issues and repairs would be handled.

I see your point, but I haven't really heard any horror stories of people's panels just dying out after being in such good condition.

Don't worry about it.

I used to work in a computer store and we had a very busy service centre, since we catered to the Korean community here in Toronto.

We had some monitors with defects, but not many with dead panels or direct problems with the panels themselves, just the electronics in the monitor that run it, which can be fixed without having to change out the panel.

Usually manufacturers leave a bunch of panels laying around for warranty purposes anyways.

i understand what your saying, but why buy a new monitor when i have one still under warranty. of course, if warranty runs out, i'd consider your option of replacing it, but i can't find any justification in spending another $600 due to minor repair issues within the warranty time period. anyways, mainstream hi-def (OTA, blu-ray, hd-dvd, satellite, etc.) is gonna remain 1080p for a while. not much of a computer gamer so 1920x1200 is way more than enough for me at the moment. plus, i wasn't concerned about replacing the monitor, i was concerned about how warranty issues and repairs would be handled.

When is the last time you have to send your electronics to a repair center?

I understand what you are saying, but the chance of your LCD monitor failing within warrenty period is very small. Most likely it will fail within the first month or just need a firmware upgrade. The exception would be XBOX 360. I heard the failing rate for 1st and 2nd generations XBOX 360 is about 30%. Other than that, there is simply too many electronics to worry about nowadays. So the best bet is to move to a major city where the repair center is located, or just buy the brand name of electronics that have repair center near your home. For example, like in Canada, Richmond (next to Vancouver) is the HQ of Panasonics. Mississauga (next to Toronto) is BenQ HQ, but I heard in Vancouver they can also do repair because one of distributor decided to become the repair center.

I think he's also about things like the NCIX express coverage. If you buy that, they have none in stock, then how exactly are you going to exchange for a new one? Especially for the dead pixel guarantee. According to NCIX are getting one last big shipment and they are done. Apparently (According to NCIX) the people who make the panels (AUO?) is discontinuing the panel itself. And because BenQ doesn't make their own panels, they can't really do anything. Because of this, I assume, they will be unable to replace these for you, unless it's with a different panel. So pray it doesn't fail, basically.

I think he's also about things like the NCIX express coverage. If you buy that, they have none in stock, then how exactly are you going to exchange for a new one? Especially for the dead pixel guarantee. According to NCIX are getting one last big shipment and they are done. Apparently (According to NCIX) the people who make the panels (AUO?) is discontinuing the panel itself. And because BenQ doesn't make their own panels, they can't really do anything. Because of this, I assume, they will be unable to replace these for you, unless it's with a different panel. So pray it doesn't fail, basically.

Isn't NCIX's Express coverage only last for 30 days anyway? If they don't have the model, customers can probably ask for refund or pick other model. The extra 11 months coverage is another fee.

Yes, but dead pixels you can find usually within the first hour/day. 30 days fairly generous. As far as 11 months bonus... that comes with the ExpressCoverage according to their site, not extra. The point is TN's are taking over, and even if you did get a refund the choices will be even more limited than they use to be. ;P

the closest monitor that i can think of that compares to the benq is the hyundai W241D (S-PVA). I know its not A-MVA but better than a TN. NCIX carries the the W240D (TN panel). hopefully they'll have the 241D in stock for those needing to exchange their monitor under the express coverage policy if the BenQ is no longer available. You think NCIX will special order the W241D for you if ever the case?

the closest monitor that i can think of that compares to the benq is the hyundai W241D (S-PVA). I know its not A-MVA but better than a TN. NCIX carries the the W240D (TN panel). hopefully they'll have the 241D in stock for those needing to exchange their monitor under the express coverage policy if the BenQ is no longer available. You think NCIX will special order the W241D for you if ever the case?

Does it have PIP? And are there any limitations to the PIP?

Yes, but dead pixels you can find usually within the first hour/day. 30 days fairly generous. As far as 11 months bonus... that comes with the ExpressCoverage according to their site, not extra. The point is TN's are taking over, and even if you did get a refund the choices will be even more limited than they use to be. ;P

I think it's unrealistic to expect any company to protect that you will have a perfect panel for 10 years. The best they can probably do is guarantee they will replace it with something that's equal or greater dollar value.

Buying express coverage is just a peace of mind thing, but what if you didn't pay extra for all that, why not save the $50 towards your next purchase?

The way I see it, buy at minimum spending and hope for the best. This is a $500 monitor, not a $5000 monitor....

Mine arrived today, BUT

when I turn it on the benQ screen flashes real fast then turns off????????

Happens on DVI HDMI D-SUB.

Tried a dvd player and the screen keeps turning on real quick then off.

anyone have any ideas or I got a DOA.

I think it's unrealistic to expect any company to protect that you will have a perfect panel for 10 years. The best they can probably do is guarantee they will replace it with something that's equal or greater dollar value.

Buying express coverage is just a peace of mind thing, but what if you didn't pay extra for all that, why not save the $50 towards your next purchase?

taken from NCIX policy for express coverage:
"This means NCIX.com customers that have purchased Express Coverage for their LCD are guaranteed a perfect LCD monitor, free of any dead pixels or screen defects. Express Coverage for LCD monitors is also available as an option for in-store purchases."

further down it says:
"After three Express Coverage exchange attempts, customers will be given the option to select a different model, or offered a refund for the monitor. Express Coverage fee will not be refunded"

so what happens when you get your monitor, find dead pixels, but model is discontinued?

Does it have PIP? And are there any limitations to the PIP?

No PIP. the BenQ technically has no PIP also because you can only PIP (DVI, HDMI, VGA, and Component) with either Composite or S-video. You can't PIP say DVI with HDMI.
so for the things most of us would like to use PIP for, we would not be able to on the BenQ either.

In a year or two, no one's gonna hook up composite or s-video to a monitor...for what? if you have an analog TV, just use that and put it in the same room as your monitor like i do. works better than PIP.

No PIP. the BenQ technically has no PIP also because you can only PIP (DVI, HDMI, VGA, and Component) with either Composite or S-video. You can't PIP say DVI with HDMI.
so for the things most of us would like to use PIP for, we would not be able to on the BenQ either.

In a year or two, no one's gonna hook up composite or s-video to a monitor...for what? if you have an analog TV, just use that and put it in the same room as your monitor like i do. works better than PIP.

Yeah, I think PIP is very gimmicky! I never bother using it! Watching that little PIP screen is like playing DS when you have XBOX 360 or PS3. I just use old analog monitor if I need to watch TV right beside PC monitor.

in '09, everything is going HD. So we're all gonna need either an HDTV with tuner or an HD tuner and hook it up to our high def monitors to get OTA HD signals. no need for s-video or composite by then. even my dvd player that's able to upscale regular dvd's to 1080i has an hdmi output. s-video vs hdmi, i'd prefer to hook it up through hdmi.

so technically in this regard, Hyundai's W241D is comparable to BenQ. it has 1:1 pixel mapping and can do 16:9, 16:10, and 4:3 aspect ratio. reviews on a UK forum for it have been very positive.

well i ordered one of these suckers, ill get it when i get back home from exams, i pray there are no dead pixels

yeah, i'm hoping that my girlfriend got one for me for christmas. won't get to mess with it until after finals either. plus i'll have to wait til christmas to see if i get it or not, then i'll be able to check for dead pixels-->bummer. but hopefully everything turns out great!

anyone know where to get the vista 64 bit drivers?.. i'm just using the basic plug n play drivers vista found.. and there's nothing on the BenQ site... any ideas? or just leave it with the PnP

"This means NCIX.com customers that have purchased Express Coverage for their LCD are guaranteed a perfect LCD monitor, free of any dead pixels or screen defects. Express Coverage for LCD monitors is also available as an option for in-store purchases."

further down it says:
"After three Express Coverage exchange attempts, customers will be given the option to select a different model, or offered a refund for the monitor. Express Coverage fee will not be refunded"

so what happens when you get your monitor, find dead pixels, but model is discontinued?

They'll just take the dead monitor if it dies during the coverage and give you whatever you paid back.

I just recently got this monitor back for the 3rd time as the last 2 times, it had a stuck pixel. Anyway, This one looks great, The Manufacture date date is 1 month early than the last 2 i had (Last 2 were made in July, This one was made in June) But it doesn't matter to me much as Im in Australia and there is the Overscan fix already on it. Anyway, about 1-2 mins ago, my screen went black for no reason then came back on after 2 seconds. Ive sorta skipped through this thread and saw people having problems with blackouts and the such. Does this mean i have the "Blackout" problem or could it of been a once off, as i do remeber my old 19" WS Doing the same thing every now and then. Also, is there a way to see what panel you got? As the last 2 seemed more....Colorful, I dunno if its just me being picky or what, but it would be good to know

I just recently got this monitor back for the 3rd time as the last 2 times, it had a stuck pixel. Anyway, This one looks great, The Manufacture date date is 1 month early than the last 2 i had (Last 2 were made in July, This one was made in June) But it doesn't matter to me much as Im in Australia and there is the Overscan fix already on it. Anyway, about 1-2 mins ago, my screen went black for no reason then came back on after 2 seconds. Ive sorta skipped through this thread and saw people having problems with blackouts and the such. Does this mean i have the "Blackout" problem or could it of been a once off, as i do remeber my old 19" WS Doing the same thing every now and then. Also, is there a way to see what panel you got? As the last 2 seemed more....Colorful, I dunno if its just me being picky or what, but it would be good to know

If your blackout only happened once very rarely, I won't worry about it. I have seen other monitors doing that as well. IMHO, dead pixel or stuck pixel is a bigger problem; if your new monitor is free of those, then it is a keeper.

I wouldn't buy a monitor from them if you don't pay the extra then. After all, they will be giving the perfect ones to people who did pay, increasing the chances that people who don't pay will get a defective one.

I wouldn't buy a monitor from them if you don't pay the extra then. After all, they will be giving the perfect ones to people who did pay, increasing the chances that people who don't pay will get a defective one.
You think they open up every monitor they get and test them for dead pixels, and then sort them into 2 categories, one for those who pay extra, and one for those don't? No, that's not how it works. It's basically just an insurance policy that says they will replace the monitor if it had any dead pixels.

You think they open up every monitor they get and test them for dead pixels, and then sort them into 2 categories, one for those who pay extra, and one for those don't? No, that's not how it works. It's basically just an insurance policy that says they will replace the monitor if it had any dead pixels.

What's described here is illegal and NCIX does not do that or else it wouldn't be in business for very long.

Back