Official BenQ FP241W Thread !!! Info, Pictures, Reviews

Just letting you know.. you're buy it now price is what i paid for it brand new...

I don't see how that's possible since it's currently retailing for around $600ish everywhere. The refurb'd models at that much... but obviously that is not new.

Theres no doubt this monitor is making constant noise, the RMA'd version does the same thing. I even found an image that amplifies it to an extreme.. test it out for youself. Maybe I just got two bad ones in a row...

http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/#clockcalib

Hmmm... I do hear a faint noise when I scroll over that particular image and it gets quieter as I scroll off. I haven't noticed anything during regular usage.
It's obvious if you stand up and listen near the vents.

Adjusting brightness/contrast does nothing to the sound.

So I'm thinking about grabbing one of these in the next few weeks (depending on xmas bonus size) and am wondering something...

I'm planning ot use this as the external/secondary display for my laptop (docking stations woo for makign it easy) as well as for my 360. My one question is, for switching inputs is it 1 button to switch or do you have to go into a menu?

My old acer 22" had the menu as the only option and it got to be a hassle so i was hoping to avoid that on the new purchase.

It's not 1 button for each input. It's just 1 button you keep pressing it until you get the input you want.

Thats perfect (same as the dell i use at work). I just hate having to go into a menu for switching inputs.

Put this on the buy list for me then :)

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
In retail you would have to pay for tax as well, no tax here, monitor does not have the 1:1 update, still has over 2 years on warranty, benq will do the update you would have to ship it to irvine, ca for the update......feel free to ask any questions guys, thanks. :)

I just got myself a 30" Gateway so i need to recover some of my cost, thats why i am selling this, its is in perfect condition. :)

tddirect offers free shipping over $500 anyway, but just wondering if they got Sept 07 build FP241W?

Did PM NCIX work?

Can they PM on item that is on daily special?

Does tddirect have dead pixel guarantee?

Can tddirect do local pickup because I live so close to their office?

Right now Canadian computer components prices are very competitive comparing to US, most items I see are cheaper in Canada.

Hi RB30- I have the same display as you. Is this a A-MVA model? I bought this in october. and love it. The only downfall which is amazing comparing to any other LCD's ive seen, is I get a little viewing angle change horizontally on the right side of the screen. Ive seen two other 241 W's in store @ NCIX with the same problem. But its aweosme because i had the Samsung 245B which sucked for Viewing angle.

If anyone wants to test there viewing angle use this site for testing

http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/

And then click on GREYSCALE ANGLE TESTING in the red box at the top.

On the Samsung 245B half the screen was different color'd and with my 241WZ vertically the colors are always the same!!

I bought my Jan 07 build FP241WZ in October as well. From all the info I have seen, it has A-MVA panel.

I ran the angle testing that you linked, the color on the word changed horizontally to some extend (not really the color changes instead brightness changes) but I know FP241WZ viewing angles are better than my other Samsung 275T (27") (obvious color changes) because I had them side by side before.

My cousin has his Sept 07 build FP241W to a Wii. From my brief try out with remote controller and shooting on his FP241W, it feels like the input lag is better than my parents' Sony XBR2 40" LCD HDTV.

My cousin has his Sept 07 build FP241W to a Wii. From my brief try out with remote controller and shooting on his FP241W, it feels like the input lag is better than my parents' Sony XBR2 40" LCD HDTV.

How was downscaling of Wii (480p?) res on this monitor? Was it blocky and terrible looking or did they put a decent scaler chip in?

I cant find a trace of a deal on this monitor, so is there any point in me waiting or should I pull the trigger on one of these 600 ish prices?

I am asking if they have the updated firmware tho...

What did you guys get yours for?

i think im going to get one from ncix, does the 1:1 firmware update mean they have the overscan update asw well?

i figure getting the 30$ no dead pixel policy + extended warranty is worth it

What are the odds of getting a monitor with dead pixels? Would it be worth putting out $50 to guarantee that I get a monitor with no dead pixels?

I'd be interested an anyone's experiences...

god damn, 40$ shipping, when some of these other sites are free...

they have so many insurance options, just waiting for the wary buyer... money mongerers

Seeing how this is a computer LCD, go ahead and set RGB output to full. It will look better.

As for the "Y Pb / Cb Pr / Cr Super-White (HDMI)" option, that's the kind of signal that runs over HDMI (the same as Component basically). That's the only choice you have, why are you asking about it?

@shampoo, component bleeds ever so slightly but the colors are fuller. VGA has zero bleed but the colors are not as vibrant. I personally prefer duller picture over slight bleeding. In either case, the quality difference is so subtle anyhow. They are not problems at all and hard to notice in the first place.

OK - THANKS FOR THE INFO - BUT CAN YOU OR ANYONE GIVE ME SOME MORE INFO:

Why will RGB set to full be better because this is an LCD monitor? Is this like a standard rule that for monitors, RGB should be set to full?

As quoted in my post, the PS3 manual says to set to full or limited depending on the RGB level of the display (-Limited is for when RGB output signal is output in the range from 16 to 235. -Full is for when RGB output signal is output in the range from 0 to 255.). Anyone know what the RGB range is on this monitor?

For the "Y Pb / Cb Pr / Cr Super-White (HDMI)" option, you say "that's the only choice you have" but what do you mean? As per my post, there are two options: "The setting options are as follows: Off = Disable super-white output and On = Enable super-white output."

Thanks for any help.

FYI, HERE IS MY ORIGINAL POST:

Originally Posted by Jason Alexandris View Post
I have a PS3 hooked up to my BenQ FP241W with an HDMI cable at 1080p and there is a setting for having the RGB set at Full or Limited.

The default is limited but on some displays, it apparantly should be set to Full.

This is from the PS3 manual:
-Limited is for when RGB output signal is output in the range from 16 to 235.
-Full is for when RGB output signal is output in the range from 0 to 255.
-Hints: If black sometimes appears bright and sometimes appears pale on the screen when [Limited] is selected, set this option to [Full]. If black appears dull on the screen when [Full] is selected, set this option to [Limited].

Does anyone know what setting I should pick for my PS3?

I also have another more complicated question re: a PS3 setting when using the PS3 on this monitor. There is an option called "Y Pb / Cb Pr / Cr Super-White (HDMI)" that is described as follows "Adjust output settings for TVs that support Y Pb / Cb Pr / Cr input signals. Super-white signal can be output when playing a DVD, Blu-ray Disc (BD), or AVCHD-format video. This setting is for use when the TV is connected to the PS3 system using an HDMI cable." The setting options are as follows "Off = Disable super-white output and On = Enable super-white output." Finally, here is some further description in the manual: "When this function is set to [On], content from AVCHD-format video files recorded in x.v.Color / x.v.Colour can be played with a wide color scale. x.v.Color / x.v.Colour is a trademark proposed by Sony as the name to be assigned to devices that support "xvYCC," which is an international standard for color space in moving images. An advantage of x.v.Color / x.v.Colour is that it can reproduce a wider color scale than the conventional standard."

Thanks for any help.

OK - THANKS FOR THE INFO - BUT CAN YOU OR ANYONE GIVE ME SOME MORE INFO:

Why will RGB set to full be better because this is an LCD monitor? Is this like a standard rule that for monitors, RGB should be set to full?

As quoted in my post, the PS3 manual says to set to full or limited depending on the RGB level of the display (-Limited is for when RGB output signal is output in the range from 16 to 235. -Full is for when RGB output signal is output in the range from 0 to 255.). Anyone know what the RGB range is on this monitor?

For the "Y Pb / Cb Pr / Cr Super-White (HDMI)" option, you say "that's the only choice you have" but what do you mean? As per my post, there are two options: "The setting options are as follows: Off = Disable super-white output and On = Enable super-white output."

Thanks for any help.

FYI, HERE IS MY ORIGINAL POST:

Originally Posted by Jason Alexandris View Post
I have a PS3 hooked up to my BenQ FP241W with an HDMI cable at 1080p and there is a setting for having the RGB set at Full or Limited.

The default is limited but on some displays, it apparantly should be set to Full.

This is from the PS3 manual:
-Limited is for when RGB output signal is output in the range from 16 to 235.
-Full is for when RGB output signal is output in the range from 0 to 255.
-Hints: If black sometimes appears bright and sometimes appears pale on the screen when [Limited] is selected, set this option to [Full]. If black appears dull on the screen when [Full] is selected, set this option to [Limited].

Does anyone know what setting I should pick for my PS3?

I also have another more complicated question re: a PS3 setting when using the PS3 on this monitor. There is an option called "Y Pb / Cb Pr / Cr Super-White (HDMI)" that is described as follows "Adjust output settings for TVs that support Y Pb / Cb Pr / Cr input signals. Super-white signal can be output when playing a DVD, Blu-ray Disc (BD), or AVCHD-format video. This setting is for use when the TV is connected to the PS3 system using an HDMI cable." The setting options are as follows "Off = Disable super-white output and On = Enable super-white output." Finally, here is some further description in the manual: "When this function is set to [On], content from AVCHD-format video files recorded in x.v.Color / x.v.Colour can be played with a wide color scale. x.v.Color / x.v.Colour is a trademark proposed by Sony as the name to be assigned to devices that support "xvYCC," which is an international standard for color space in moving images. An advantage of x.v.Color / x.v.Colour is that it can reproduce a wider color scale than the conventional standard."

Thanks for any help.

x.v.Color IS only on Sony TV's

And NO content is encoded in it.

So as to why you think your content will look better using this option is a mystery?

Basically, from what I can recall from reading about HDTVs, is that computer monitors and HDTVs are different in terms of certain things like what you are asking.

That's why even Microcrap added the black level options in the 360. Standard is for HDTVs and the last option, I forget what it says, is for computer LCD monitors.

Anyways, thanks for the link to the tigerdirect deal!

You guys think NCIX will give me back some of my money since it's only been a few days since I've received the monitor?

Hrmmm.

For those of you hestitating on the purchase, you should buy NOW, since these monitors with these beautiful panels won't be around for much longer.

Especially at the price they're selling for now. I remember not so long ago these were 700+ dollars. WHOA. Yeah I know.

Dead pixel warranty is a must, even though benq is good about it in my experiences. It's all a gamble really, even with HDTVs and anything LCD related. I went through 4 Nintendo DS Lites until I got one without a dead pixel.

The picture quality is excellent and the features provided WORK.

Hands down BEST LCD in its class.

Just as a computer monitor though, I've seen some Dells that looked pretty good as well, but banding was an issue on them. Banding is pretty much not apparent on this monitor. Only slightly in certain shades of grey I have noticed, but that's expected.

Just curious as to whether this panel is a 6-bit or 8-bit colour panel?

I'm assuming 8-bit since it reproduces all these colours so well.

This thing outperforms my FP202W V1 for sure, is brighter, and more vibrant.

A little too bright from factory so I had to turn things down a notch.

I'm also loving the stand. How it stays put when moving the monitor side to side, up and down.

Stop waiting people and spend your kids' college tuition on this puppy. :D
J/K!

How was downscaling of Wii (480p?) res on this monitor? Was it blocky and terrible looking or did they put a decent scaler chip in?

I won't bother worrying about the quality of upscaling Wii 480p on this monitor since Wii is better suited for CRT monitor and also because of controller <-> video input lag on any given LCD monitor as I mentioned before.

I wonder if anyone tested the Wii controller input lag between a CRT and LCD monitor. I ask this because remember the good old days of Playstation 1 and Sega Saturn, there were many ray gun shooter games. Now the only ones that I can think of is TIme Crisis for PS3 and Wii Zapper related games. I am wondering if it is because most of TVs nowadays are either LCD or Plasma that input lags are the issue that those type of shooting game are impossible to perfect?

Posted this over in the Show Your LCD forum, and hopefully I'm not hogging too much bandwidth by posting it here too:
cimg1510400yx7.jpg

I also want to show off my desktop rig for an otherwise mobile laptop. That's a metal mesh letter tray strong enough to support everything, won't melt, and the mesh lets everything breathe -- unlike most of the plastic stuff out there. Been using this for the last ten years to support some 3 generations of laptops.

I'm only feeding in an S-video PIP at this time. Need the slack from the low hanging cables for when I pivot the display. FP241W, September build.

the stock a store like newegg or buy.com has would probably be the most recent firmware right?

the indian lady on the phone didnt know what firmware was...

Newegg still has old stuff in stock most likely, but people have received the newer models as well. It'll be a gamble. I ordered mine from NCIX and should be here by Friday. Came to about $630 shipped with dead pixel insurance.

NCIX update: It seems like they got new stock yesterday at their warehouse. They only had a couple at their stores until now and 0 at the warehouse, but the warehouse stock changed to 25 (down to 19 at this time).

They also will get another 28 by the 17th. So presumably if they got new stock 2 days ago those are the September builds maybe?

Question about PIP.

Will I be able to PIP the HDMI input while using DVI? Also, does the PIP window always stay on top of the other windows or can it be in the background?

FYI - I got my BenQ tonight. Beautiful monitor - extremely bright - had to turn the brightness way down. Comes with the Overscan option turned off, but you can turn it on if you wanted. Manuf Date - Sept 2007.

I have two dead pixels, but since I bought the Dead Pixel warranty with NCIX, I can return it. My pixels appear when displaying black, dark red, and dark blue. The dead pixels are slightly to the right of center of the screen, which is a pain. I'd keep the monitor if the dead pixels were out of my view.

FYI - I got my BenQ tonight. Beautiful monitor - extremely bright - had to turn the brightness way down. Comes with the Overscan option turned off, but you can turn it on if you wanted. Manuf Date - Sept 2007.

I have two dead pixels, but since I bought the Dead Pixel warranty with NCIX, I can return it. My pixels appear when displaying black, dark red, and dark blue. The dead pixels are slightly to the right of center of the screen, which is a pain. I'd keep the monitor if the dead pixels were out of my view.

Shame. Mine so far has been good (or out of the way enough I didn't notice yet). I didn't buy a 0-dead pixel guarantee. So I pray every night.

i think im gonna pull the trigger at buy.com, 590$ shipped AR

i am not sure what firmware they have but as i plan to use the monitor for pc use only, i figure i dont need to worry about overscan issues

they dont have a specific dead pixel policy so it probably can be argued
however, if i get even one dead pixel, i am going to return that mother and say it has backlighting issues or some other problem. it seems to have worked for other people, i think because buy.com isnt the most technically adept people.

with my luck im gonna get 1 dead pixel in the middle, god damn
shellin out the benjamins and i have to worry about defects

Aww, no dead pixels.

Sorry to hear that man, even though you bought the warranty it's still such a hassle to get it replaced.

I'm pretty sure I don't have any even though I haven't really checked yet.

Anyone have some calibration files and settings people have done with these monitors?

MAJOR UPDATE!!

I just heard from NCIX that this monitor model is in the process of either being discontinued or no longer being distributed in America. The stock they had is no gone and they only expect another small shipment of left-overs.

If you still want this monitor, better act soon!

Where can I get this monitor in the US from a not-online retailer if possible? I prefer buying from real stores rather than online now for large risk purchases (lcd monitors, hdtvs, etc).

Back