Official BenQ FP241W Thread !!! Info, Pictures, Reviews

I bought my Elite shortly after its release date, but it's not specifically an Xbox 360 issue since the PS3 does the same exact thing. It's crops the 1080p image with bars on all four sides instead of displaying properly at 1:1. Only the DVI port behaves properly.

So you got the old Elite when it was still a limited edition. If the rumor is correct, then new Elite with Falcon chipset should solve the HDMI problem, that is if the Elite is also replaced with Falcon chipset like other new models (Pro, Premium and Halo 3 Edition all have HDMI output now).

My Philip DVP5982 DVD player also has problem with displaying 1920x1080p properly using HDMI while it is fine using DVI, so yes it is not only limited to PS3 or XBOX360. My nVidia 7800GT video card only automatically detects FP241WZ's HDMI to be 1920x1080p (displayed properly) and not 1920x1200p. Therefore we can fairly assume that the signal processing chip for HDMI is different than DVI, but for some reason it can only properly process PC's HDMI signal and not video HDMI signal. I am wondering if there is something to do with different updates of HDMI (1.1, 1.2 and 1.3). If someone can figure out which chip is used for HDMI video processing that would be a great help. There is a reviewer on Chinese website who actually disassembled a FP241WZ all the way to the inside panel has nice pictures and descriptions of each primary chips. Just can't remember the name of website....

So just to clarify:

Even if I do get a monitor that doesn't have the overscan fix, I can simply connect the Xbox 360 via HDMI to DVI converter, and the PC via DVI to HDMI converter and it will properly display 1:1 ratio?

Yes, you can go that route.

360 via HDMI to DVI will give you 1:1 pixel mapping without overscan

PC via DVI to HDMI will also give you 1:1 pixel mapping without overscan

Good luck

10e

Hey,

Try a new cable. My Ps3 went wonkie on my monitor after a week, and it turned out my cable somehow went bad. Try that prior to sending the monitor back. It's a lot easier to find a cable than it is to send back a monitor and risk getting back a refurb with dead pixels.

To everyone else:

I think it's best if you are using an analog (non HDMI) 360 on the FP241W just to use component. I hooked up my 360 to both my LG tv (via vga with 1:1 mapping) and the FP241W side-by-side (prior to sending the BenQ back) and aside from slight overscan cut off on the FP241W, the 1:1 pixel mapping on the LG didn't look any better than the BenQ. In fact, there was no difference in jagginess, clarity, etc.. Just my $.02.

Obviously if you have an HDMI 360, use the DVI if you can to avoid overscan.

Hope that helps

10e

hey guys I am about to buy one of these lovely Screens, which one would u recommend the "W" or the "WZ", and about the 1:1 mapping prob , from which manufacture date they did fixed it?

Hey guys,

I've followed this thread for a while and I finally decided to buy a 241VW. I received the LCD today and immediately hooked it to my xbox360 pro using HDMI connection. No overscan issue at 1080P at all! I switched between Aspect and 1:1 options and the pictures were the same, perfect 1:1 screens! (BTW the monitor comes with hdmi cable, which surprised me a little bit) I then connected my laptop to the LCD through DVI and it works flawlessly as expected! Overall I'm very satisfied with this purchase.;)

Hey guys,

I've followed this thread for a while and I finally decided to buy a 241VW. I received the LCD today and immediately hooked it to my xbox360 pro using HDMI connection. No overscan issue at 1080P at all! I switched between Aspect and 1:1 options and the pictures were the same, perfect 1:1 screens! (BTW the monitor comes with hdmi cable, which surprised me a little bit) I then connected my laptop to the LCD through DVI and it works flawlessly as expected! Overall I'm very satisfied with this purchase.;)

Sounds like you have the new XBOX360 Pro, which has the HDMI output because the old XBOX360 Pro only has the analog VGA. So you are the 3rd person that confirms FP241W/WZ/VW is working fine with the new XBOX360 via HDMI.

Hello

I'm ready to buy a 24" and my research has brought me to the BENQ FP241W.

Most of the "problems" I've read about is concerning 1:1. Is that the only major flaw of this monitor? If so, I'm not so fussed as I understand this is only a problem when watching DVD's or connecting a game console. Plus I know the firmware fix is forthcoming.

In general, is everyone happy with this monitor?

THANKS

Has a blackout issue.

I think blackout issue is more of computer/video card dependent because I had blackout issue when my FP241WZ is hooked up to an Apple MacBook via DVI but no blackout after I hooked up to my signature PC equipped with 8800 Ultra.

What's a shame about the blackout is that there is no discernible pattern so its a gamble as to whether you will get it or not.

Looks like it may have to be the FHD2400 for me.

Has anybody just purchased the 241W from NCIX recently? If so what manufacture date was it & did it have the blackout problem? Mine is going back for exchange. Benq support = Worst then any Indian tech support you will encounter.

I bought my Elite shortly after its release date, but it's not specifically an Xbox 360 issue since the PS3 does the same exact thing. It's crops the 1080p image with bars on all four sides instead of displaying properly at 1:1. Only the DVI port behaves properly.

So you got the old Elite when it was still a limited edition. If the rumor is correct, then new Elite with Falcon chipset should solve the HDMI problem, that is if the Elite is also replaced with Falcon chipset like other new models (Pro, Premium and Halo 3 Edition all have HDMI output now).

My Philip DVP5982 DVD player also has problem with displaying 1920x1080p properly using HDMI while it is fine using DVI, so yes it is not only limited to PS3 or XBOX360. My nVidia 7800GT video card only automatically detects FP241WZ's HDMI to be 1920x1080p (displayed properly) and not 1920x1200p. Therefore we can fairly assume that the signal processing chip for HDMI is different than DVI, but for some reason it can only properly process PC's HDMI signal and not video HDMI signal. I am wondering if there is something to do with different updates of HDMI (1.1, 1.2 and 1.3). If someone can figure out which chip is used for HDMI video processing that would be a great help. There is a reviewer on Chinese website who actually disassembled a FP241WZ all the way to the inside panel has nice pictures and descriptions of each primary chips. Just can't remember the name of website....

Just to let you guys know, my Gateway FHD2400 does that exact same crap. So this issue is definitely not limited to your monitor. I have to run my HD-A2 HD-DVD player over DVI to get a proper picture.

Just to let you guys know, my Gateway FHD2400 does that exact same crap. So this issue is definitely not limited to your monitor. I have to run my HD-A2 HD-DVD player over DVI to get a proper picture.

Nice to know. While people are bitching about FP241 series can't display certain video signals over certain inputs, they fail to name a monitor that can do everything perfectly. Just like Samsung 275T (27") doesn't even have 1:1 pixel mapping feature but people don't write 200+ pages in the forum discussing about it. My brother's Westinghouse 46" has blackouts every hour or so, and he is still taking it like a man...

I suggest people with blackout problem to try different testings (different computers and different locations in the house due to signals and power variences) before returning it, since people are complaining BenQ tech service can be difficult. I have been satisfy with their products so far (including a 37" LCD HDTV) and hopefully I will never have to deal with their tech service.

Hi guys, this is my first post here.

I have a deposit down on the last FP241WZ at my local NCIX, but yesterday I just found out that the manufacturer date is January 2007. The price on this is $609.

I called today and asked about the manufacturer date of the FP241W, and was told it is September 2007. This is on sale for $549.

Looks like FP241W with September 2007 manufacture date does available in North America. I noticed NCIX has a lot of products coming from Europe (don't know if this is the case with FP241W) or they are intended for European market such as games (uncensored version of The Witcher). The games Dirt and S.T.A.L.K.E.R. I picked up from them are all European versions and they are cheaper in Europe originally.

Guys, just hooked up my FP241...

three dead pixels (pixel emaning, easily viewable from a distance) and MANY (too many to count) single stuck subpixels, mostly green, visible up close on a black background.

I remember hearing about a 7 day no dead pixel guarantee here.

What options do i have? This is just unacceptable.

benqdead1fd5.jpg

benqdead2gd7.jpg

The LG i had and returned was perfect! Not a single dead pixel to be seen

Just return it!

Even one dead pixel is unacceptable nowadays!

That shouldn't even pass their quality control!

If there is no way for you to return it, use soft wet cloth and lightly press on it, or use a software to fix stuck/dead pixels.

Has anybody just purchased the 241W from NCIX recently? If so what manufacture date was it & did it have the blackout problem? Mine is going back for exchange. Benq support = Worst then any Indian tech support you will encounter.

Juuuust received mine yesterday. Manufactured September 2007. No blackouts so far but I haven't really used it much and it's hooked up to a geforce3 via dsub right now =O I'll post more once I get back to my apartment and hook it up to my machine. It seems like the blackout issue is related to the cable used.

For people complaining about dead pixels...
If manufacturers discarded every monitor with dead pixels, their yield would be low. What happens when yield is low? Price is high. Do you want to be paying $5000 for a 24" monitor? I didn't think so.
If you want to be sure there are no dead pixels then get a CRT.

Juuuust received mine yesterday. Manufactured September 2007. No blackouts so far but I haven't really used it much and it's hooked up to a geforce3 via dsub right now =O I'll post more once I get back to my apartment and hook it up to my machine. It seems like the blackout issue is related to the cable used.

1. Did you buy it from NCIX?

2. Does it have overscan option?

3. I can't explain it but all my blackouts occurred only with certain video cards or computers:

Macbook (integrated video via single linked DVI adapter): blackouts.

PC eVGA 7800GT (DVI-HDMI input single linked cable): one blackout after 3 weeks of sparse usages.

PC eVGA 8800 Ultra (DVI dual linked): no blackout after 3 weeks of 24/7 intensive usages.

For people complaining about dead pixels...
If manufacturers discarded every monitor with dead pixels, their yield would be low. What happens when yield is low? Price is high. Do you want to be paying $5000 for a 24" monitor? I didn't think so.
If you want to be sure there are no dead pixels then get a CRT.

I don't think this is a correct statement. How many people do get dead pixel nowadays? Maybe like 10%. So the LCD panel manufacturing technology has advanced very far over these past few years that they should have good yields. If during LCD panel manufactoring, quality control detects a defect or some sort (ie dead pixel), I assume they could cut the defect LCD panel into smaller panels and sell them for cheaper price, just like CPUs that didn't make the grade cut they lower speed and mark down prices.

Input Quality Comparison (game: mass effect)
Panel: picked up refurb/openbox from NCIX
Comments: component2hdmi2dvi@1080p looks just as good as vga@720p, component2hdmi@1080p looks worse.

Scene 1:
HDMI input: component to hdmi converter, 1080p
85w61vp.jpg

VGA input: vga, 720p
80lupef.jpg

DVI input: compone to hdmi converter, to dvi adapter, 1080p
6nqcqj5.jpg

Scene 2:
72zzsbs.jpg

71p22ba.jpg

6oadamp.jpg

Scene 3:
8axm3gn.jpg

6yjy9p5.jpg

721ealx.jpg

I just picked up an FP241VW from Benq today, manufacture date was March 2007.

I initially tried to crossover the PC via DVI to HDMI and the Xbox via HDMI to DVI to avoid the overscan (I had resigned myself to the fact that it was necessary to get 1:1 without overscan). However, to my horror, I couldn't use both nGear adapters at the same time because they were too fat.

I then plugged the Xbox directly into the HDMI port, and the PC directly in the DVI. To my surprise, no overscan in 1:1 mode playing Xbox 360!

I love this monitor except for the noticeable backlight bleeding on the right side... :( I suppose there's nothing I can do about it.
I'll get some pictures up after I get my camera back from my sister.

edit: I may have spoke too soon. Something definitely looks off with the Xbox 360 hooked up to it... It looks really pixellated, and the contrast seems to fade in and out sometimes. :(

RB30 said:
1. Did you buy it from NCIX?

Yes.

RB30 said:
2. Does it have overscan option?

Don't know. Don't have anything I can connect at the moment.Probably not though.

RB30 said:
3. I can't explain it but all my blackouts occurred only with certain video cards or computers:

Macbook (integrated video via single linked DVI adapter): blackouts.

PC eVGA 7800GT (DVI-HDMI input single linked cable): one blackout after 3 weeks of sparse usages.

PC eVGA 8800 Ultra (DVI dual linked): no blackout after 3 weeks of 24/7 intensive usages.

Were you using the same cable for all of them? Did you try different ones? It could be the video cards, but it could be a combination of video card/cable that exacerbates the problem.

RB30 said:
I don't think this is a correct statement. How many people do get dead pixel nowadays? Maybe like 10%. So the LCD panel manufacturing technology has advanced very far over these past few years that they should have good yields. If during LCD panel manufactoring, quality control detects a defect or some sort (ie dead pixel), I assume they could cut the defect LCD panel into smaller panels and sell them for cheaper price, just like CPUs that didn't make the grade cut they lower speed and mark down prices.

I was reaching a bit, but I do believe the defect rate is high enough for manufacturers to shop with dead pixels. It would be nice to hear from someone who has actually worked in this area...

I look at it this way. A manufacturer has a lot to gain by shipping all monitors without dead pixels. So if they could ship flawless monitors for the same price and promote their name, why don't they? If it's not money, what else?

Don't know. Don't have anything I can connect at the moment.Probably not though.

People in Europe and Asia said Sept 2007 manufacture FP241W should have overscan option. Also in September the BenQ website's FP241WZ manual download has overscan option.

You don't have to connect to anything to find out. Just click on monitor's menu and goo to system to find out. This is the $1,000,000 question that FP241 people in North America waiting to hear about. And survey says...

Were you using the same cable for all of them? Did you try different ones? It could be the video cards, but it could be a combination of video card/cable that exacerbates the problem.

They are all different cables. 1 HDMI-DVI, 2 dual-linked Belkin DVI cables. So different video cards and cables yield different results. I think people with blackout problem are to hasty and impatient to try different combinations. Obviously, monitors should not have this kind of quirk to begin with, but I have seen worse on other monitors such as black out every 10-15 minutes or monitor just crashed and needed to pull the power plug to reset it.

I look at it this way. A manufacturer has a lot to gain by shipping all monitors without dead pixels. So if they could ship flawless monitors for the same price and promote their name, why don't they? If it's not money, what else?

I also noticed someone did mention his dead pixel or stuck pixel only appeared after few months of usage. So that could also means that dead pixel didn't first appear during the quality control testing of LCD panels. I am wondering if the shaking and dropping during shipping could dislodge the connections loose?

People in Europe and Asia said Sept 2007 manufacture FP241W should have overscan option. Also in September the BenQ website's FP241WZ manual download has overscan option.

You don't have to connect to anything to find out. Just click on monitor's menu and goo to system to find out. This is the $1,000,000 question that FP241 people in North America waiting to hear about. And survey says...

I see "OVERSCAN OFF" and it's greyed out (I guess because i'm using DVI). Is it time to celebrate?

I also noticed someone did mention his dead pixel or stuck pixel only appeared after few months of usage. So that could also means that dead pixel didn't first appear during the quality control testing of LCD panels. I am wondering if the shaking and dropping during shipping could dislodge the connections loose?

Interesting point. Need to make some friends in the LCD industry just to find out the answers to these questions :)

is the latest firmware still the May one? I havent been following this as closely since getting the monitor in the summer. It has the firmware before that one

I live in Canada and just picked one of these up Friday at a Local computer store. The manufacture date is September 2007 and I have the overscan option in the menu. Looks like North American gets the newer firmware starting with the September builds. Monitors looks great. From the side, it almost seems like is a glossy screen. Wonder what type of coating is used. Straight on, there no reflection. Need to get me one of those new ATI 3800 cards with UVD so I can watch HD-DVD.

I live in Canada and just picked one of these up Friday at a Local computer store. The manufacture date is September 2007 and I have the overscan option in the menu. Looks like North American gets the newer firmware starting with the September builds. Monitors looks great. From the side, it almost seems like is a glossy screen. Wonder what type of coating is used. Straight on, there no reflection. Need to get me one of those new ATI 3800 cards with UVD so I can watch HD-DVD.

What is this "local store" ?

Wow, I come to [H] for the first time in awhile and I see that there's an overscan option available in the newest models! This is amazing news to new owners of the monitor, but still, good hopeful news to us older owners.

I have a FP241VW, and I presume this overscan option covers that model as well?

Does anyone think that if I hand this monitor in to BenQ -- even pay 'em as much as $50 or something -- they could manually update the firmware of this monitor?

The overscanning bugs me enough that I have to hook up my PS3 via HDMI-->DVI (meaning I have to SWAP DVI cables between my comp. and my PS3), and I have to get a seperate audio out via multi-AV, and get an adapter to a mini-jack to go into my speakers. This could all be easily avoided if I just get one HDMI cord going into my monitor and plug my speakers into my monitor. It's worth it for the space and direct picture.

I've got my PC plugged into this monitor from DVI into the monitor's HDMI socket. Which is displaying fine except it sees the native res as 1920x1080. Adding a custom res with the NVidia Control Panel or Powerstrip seems to only increase the desktop resolution - the actual resolution stays as 1080p, I just get 120 lines I can scroll up and down. Anyone know how I can coerce it to display the full 1920x1200?
Thanks.

Edit: Got it to work now. Rolled back to 163.44. It still didn't work immediately, but after a bit of messing I've somehow tricked it into working. It seems like nvidias trying to prevent you from setting any video modes it thinks your display can't handle, and they've gotten better at it in recent drivers. Bit of arse, I'm kinda stuck on 163.44s now.

The real confirmation will be if BenQ North America's tech support actually acknowledges the Sept 2007 firmware is available and that owners can ship their units in to receive the update. Are we certain that Memoryexpress didn't happen to have a stock of EU monitors in their Canadian store? This would be some great news if BenQ will corroborate it. I really have no desire to get a VW (which work here just fine) forcing me to lose my height, rotate, and swivel options for the screen.

Only the Canadian FP241W has Sept 2007 built, which has overscan option. Canadian online etailer such as NCIX has the habit of getting some of their games directly from Europe, such as the European games Dirt, S.T.A.L.K.E.R., and the uncut uncensored version of The Witcher (18+ rating). For computer parts such as LCD monitors wich are made in China, shipping from Europe is not very environmentally friendly.

For people with multiple devices connecting to DVI input, I suggest just to get a single-linked DVI switch. A good one with remote and audio selector is only $80. It is easier to do DVI switch than pressing throught each input selector button on the side of FP241.
http://www.directcanada.com/products/?sku=1066131457F&vpn=BF-3361&manufacture=BAFO%20TECHNOLOGIES

http://www.bafo.com.tw/products-bf-3361.asp Solid all metal construction. Beautiful!

pup-3361-black.jpg

Has anyone confirmed that the overscan option can work flawlessly with PS3 via HDMI?

From what other posters wrote, the most recent FP241VW is still May 2007 built and no overscan option.

So let me get this straight

the 'May update' never really happened for NA.. and instead its referred to as the 'September update' ??

I just called BenQ and was told there was no firmware upgrade for the WZ (I lack the overscan options, but have 1:1 and aspect)

Is that true? Wouldnt the May or September firmware upgrade apply to it as well?

Also he said for Canadians you have to ship to the Toronto factory for firmware upgrades. (I'm in Vancouver).

Is that also true in others' experience?

I am going to contact NCIX as they have had the ability (with help from BenQ) to have their own techs do firmware upgrades on W's (to have 1:1 and such)... maybe they could firmware upgrade my WZ

but then again.. SUPPOSEDLY there isnt a firmware upgrade for it?

As I mentioned before, FP241WZ is expected to have overscan option as well eventually since overscan option feature is in the online FP241WZ manul. Unless BenQ has WZ model discontinued already because you cannot buy them anywhere nowadays.

Some poster has already said that W and WZ (perhaps VW) share the same firmware. So using W firmware on WZ shouldn't be a problem.

I think the whole overscan issue is overblown. DVI input works fine for all HDMI/DVI capable consoles and computers. Just use a DVI or HDMI switch + adapter if needed. Also even with overscan function, it is only works on certain input such as HDMI, but HDMI input has a major HDTV flaw that it will display blue screen when there is no signal. Analog inputs (can't remember which ones) will not benefit from overscan option.

Back