Official ASUS Response to Resume/Hibernate Problem with Internal PLL Voltage Enabled

techsupport issues id guess, easier on latest versions.

Isnt their usual first repsonse "Have you updated to the latest BIOS?"

lol

Last edited:
Upgraded to a P8Z68-V Pro, sleep is working flawlessly at stock clocks so far. Nothing else changed, just switched from the Sabertooth P67 to this board. Sigh.
That's disappointing to hear. There's clearly something wrong with the Sabertooth boards—possibly related to using an AX850 PSU—that ASUS is refusing to acknowledge. I've had three Sabertooth boards now, and none of them will wake from sleep.

This week, I built my new gaming rig with the P67 motherboard. Along with many people in this thread, I too had problems when waking from sleep. The reoccurring problem was this: Every time I tried to wake the computer from sleep, it would boot for about 2 seconds, then shut off and try again, followed by a black screen. I have tried messing with nearly every BIOS setting, with no luck. After reading about the possible issue with the Corsair PSU, I decided to try out the PSU from my old computer in my new one. I replaced the new TX850M that I purchased with my old Hiper 880W PSU. To my surprise, sleep mode worked PERFECTLY. I then tried the TX 850M in my old computer, and sleep mode worked PERFECTLY.

There is ABSOLUTELY a problem when a P67 board and a TX 850M are used together. No questions asked. I'm not sure what I should do, as removing the motherboard would be a pain.

That's disappointing to hear. There's clearly something wrong with the Sabertooth boards—possibly related to using an AX850 PSU—that ASUS is refusing to acknowledge. I've had three Sabertooth boards now, and none of them will wake from sleep.

Indeed, I've now tried every setting possible with this new board and it never fails to wake from sleep, even with pll overvoltage enabled at 5ghz. This is clearly a Sabertooth issue.

It seems Asus realizes that with the pace of technology and the continuing popularity and success of their other boards they can easily just wait this one out instead of dealing with it. This issue has been reported since the beginning of this year by countless people on countless forums. There is a thread over 40 pages long on their own forums, filled with people detailing every aspect of the issue, providing all the information they can to aid in resolving the issue. Yet, the problem persists.

I'm gonna chalk this one up to a shitty product with not enough company attention due to a limited audience and a lack of support as a result; It's just not worth dealing with while they are still top dog in the motherboard market regardless of their efforts in this situation. Alas, the consumer suffers.

For those of you with issues who are still holding out for a fix- I wouldn't get my hopes up. It's been nearly a year since the release of this board. RMA, resell and grab something the company actually stands behind. C'est la vie.

BIOS 0801 for P8Z68 V-Pro solved the problem in many cases , but got removed from the download list on ASUS web site

I have a P8P67 Deluxe/2600K running at 4.8 Ghz 24/7 OC. The build is about 1 month old and has been running the 2001 BIOS from the start.

About 80% of the time it resumes with no issue, the other 20% requires a complete shutdown using the switch on the PSU and it tries to restart several times before it finally works.

CPU PLL disabled has the same random issue.

On a side note I upgraded video from a Radeon 5870 to 6950 running 6970 BIOS and speed and it SEEMS to happen since then. I can't swear that it never happened before the video change, but it definitely happens more since.

My PSU is a PC Power and Cooling Silencer 750. It's a few years old. The 6950 requires a 6 pin and 8 pin PCI-E power connection. My PSU is 6 pin only, so using 2 molex connections to make the 8 pin with the adapter that came with the card. I ordered a 6 to 8 pin adapter and will try that, along with the 11.11 Radeon drivers.

I have the same issue as well...80/20 resume from sleep, and my 6950 is also patched and oc'd

I read somewhere that others were having sleep issues with the patched 6950 as well, something about not restoring the clocks properly on wake and crashing the system.

HMMMMM

Mine's a Sapphire Toxic with the secondary BIOS that's available via switch and runs at 6970 speeds default.

I haven't had it lock for a few days now. Will pay attention when it happens.

So it really looks like it's my AX-850. I have tried with a antec true power 550 and it wakes from sleep, but no suck luck with my AX-850. This sucks as I have my AX-850 all wired into my case. It also is past it's return date to get a refund.

Any guesses as to why the AX-850 would not resume from sleep?

corban

I have been having the same issue. I am getting rid of this POS motherboard.

It looks like the Z68 ones are the way to go.

I have been having the same issue. I am getting rid of this POS motherboard.

It looks like the Z68 ones are the way to go.

It's not a bad board as long as it likes your power supply. Unfortunately, it seems to have some rather irreconcilable differences with the better PSU's out there. Shame indeed.

I've never managed to get my Deluxe to wake from sleep, regardless of settings.

I've given up hoping for a fix and just don't use the function.

P67 Sabertooth and Corsair AX850 was definitely the culprit. I switched out my Sabertooth with a P8Z68-V and now S3 sleep resumes like a champ. No problems at all.

It is unfortunate that this particular configuration does not work.

If anyone else was going insane trying to figure out what the issue is, I would suggest you stop and just get a new motherboard or switch the power supply.

Guys for me this wake from sleep issue has always plagued Asus boards . I cannot think of another reason why the issue would still arise no matter what board I get or which socket I use. It happened on 775 it happened on 1366 it is now happening today on my brand new Extreme X79. The only time I strayed from Asus was when I went to the classified for my second X58 build. I did not experience this problem once in the nearly 2 years I owned that board.

I had the Extreme Z68 and dam it I had the same problem on that too. I AM FED UP WITH IT ! $480 dollars for a board that I have to turn off and shut down constantly because the dam sleep mode only works 1 out of every 5 times used. It is disgraceful. If the X79 classified had 8 mem slots it would be my next board PERIOD !

Now that that's off my shoulders I have another minor issue with this X79 Extreme. My DVDRW drive says there is a audio disk installed when there is no disk in it! I swaped DVDRW drives I switched cables I switched ports, It still says files are installed. If I explore the drive it says :files currently on the disk: Track00 12/31/1994 cd audio track 1KB and underneath that is says : Files ready to be written to the disk: Destop ini. I did not place and files on the disk to be written. I did a clean install of the OS and still the problem is there.

I have about had it ...

Update -

10 days ago I turned off hybrid sleep in the advanced power properties and have not had an issue waking from S3 since!:cool:

Please give this a try and post your results.

I was having the same issue with sleep/resume with my Maximus Extreme-Z motherboard. I turned off hybrid sleep as suggested and it solved my problem as well.

Thanks!

I have the same issue as well...80/20 resume from sleep, and my 6950 is also patched and oc'd

I read somewhere that others were having sleep issues with the patched 6950 as well, something about not restoring the clocks properly on wake and crashing the system.

i don't use sleep because of this actually. for my card, sapphire trixx restores the clocks but not the voltage settings on wake. hence, immediate crash on wake. you might try using RBE to bake your settings directly into the card instead of a software tool (if that's what you're using).

generally though, (and i'm not saying you are but) no one should be surprised that overclocking will sometimes break non-essential features like power saving.

uninstall and reinstall trixx, i had the same issue doing that fixed it.....make sure you have the newest as well..

however, having CCC installed will make your custom fan profiles revert to auto...

i fixed the voltage reverting, but it didnt fix my sleep issue...

interesting. i may try this when i get back from vacation. thanks for the tip.

yeah, it has something to do with the registry settings not being setup properly...

i really wish sapphire would fix the fan profile problem though, i keep forgetting to change it to custom again, and my games crash within 30 seconds...lol

ive been tempted more than once to switch to afterburner (it doesnt have the fan profile problem), but i really like trixx simple interface and small footprint...

My Sleep issues occurred after swapping my power supply from a Hiper-M series to Corsair HX850, having read this thread I notice a few mentions of Corsair PSU's, so could be that the P8P67 doesn't like Corsair PSU's.

To be honest I've had nothing but issues since I brought this board, double posting, random reboots, and plenty of sleep issues. I originally resolved the sleep issues by disabling PLL and enabling Power on by PCIe. When my PSU died I thought it would be simple, clearly nothing about this board is simple.

yes,

there aprears to be a problem with the +5v rail when resuming from sleep from several Corsair models...

I have an AX850 that suffers from it...

its really not the boards fault, its crummy support from the add--on hardware vendors...

The other manufacturers of P67 boars have the same issues...

Last edited:
We'll I'm looking to get the sleep function work as it's something I use alot, so it's either a new board or PSU. Do you know of a PSU that works ok with the P67 or does the corsair work with the Z68 ok?

If I replace the PSU, I could always move the Corsair to my server as that only has an OCZ Stealth in it at the moment.

The P8P67 Deluxe has all the features I want, I did look at some Z68 boards and did quite like the look of the ASRock Fatal1ty Z68 Professional Gen3. Although I've read that the Z68 boards have some of the same issues as the P67's.

not sure about the z68, check the corsair boards..I would think it would be the same, but who knows..

Imperically, if noticed there seem to be less problems with the Z68s than the P67

I took out the HX850, put the Hiper-M back in and let it sleep for 4 hours, and it resumed without any issues, so I guess I shall invest in yet another power supply as it's easier and quicker to replace than the mobo.

First and last Corsair PSU I shall buy!

Especially as I've spent hours trying to resolve the sleep issues after I install the HX850

New power supply arrived today (CoolerMaster Slient Pro Gold), fitted it, let it sleep for an hour and a half and woke fine. I've come to the conclusion that alot of sleep issues are being caused by psu's being incompatible with the Asus P8p67 or possibly the P67 chipset in general.

The sleep issues had to do with the +5 VSB voltage. I just don't remember the details, but some PSU's (I think a few seasonic models) apparently didn't ramp this up to strict tolerances. But the P67/Z68 boards were the only boards that were this anal about the tolerances.

yes, +5 was not ramping up quick enough from sleep...its the chipset (Cougar Point) thats intolerant, not the board itself..

Unfortuately, Seasonic makes Corsairs' high-end PSUs so they are affected also

ive just updated my bios to 2103...i havnet had any sleep issues yet, but i was always 80/20, so ill keep you posted.

It appears that some of the HX series are made by CWT and some Seasonic, mine is a CWT one. I guess they have the same issue. The new PSU I've got is made by Enhance which is working fine.

If you think about, some of these PSU's were made a few years ago the P67/Z68 is newer technology, so I guess it's understandable that there are some issues. Hopefully new Seasonic models will address these issues.

I Have an AX series, which i beleieve are all Seasonic...

They are hella expensive, but it does come with a 5 year warantee..

If i wasnt so damn lazy, id RMA it and see if they fixed the issue with a redesign...

At least your 80/20 was better than my 0/100:)

i donk know about that, if mine was 0/100, id never use the sleep function.

As it stands, when it does fail, it trips the overclocking failed flag, which wont reset without a hard power-off from the wall, and resets all the custom settings on my G-19. Not to mention the extra boot time because the pre-fetch buffer gets mangled...

Super-annoying..

New power supply arrived today (CoolerMaster Slient Pro Gold), fitted it, let it sleep for an hour and a half and woke fine. I've come to the conclusion that alot of sleep issues are being caused by psu's being incompatible with the Asus P8p67 or possibly the P67 chipset in general.

What size Silent Pro Gold did you get?

ive slept mine 2x over 8 hours, and a bunch for 2hrs.....no problems yet on bios 2103

i went from a hx850 to a seasonic gold 1250-x

it solved my problem

ive slept mine 2x over 8 hours, and a bunch for 2hrs.....no problems yet on bios 2103

BIOS 2103 allows my board (P8P67 Deluxe) to wake successfully, after 8 hours of sleep or more, with PLL Overvoltage at Auto (default) or Enabled. I had to disable PLLO for that to happen with previous BIOS releases. Probably the improved memory compatibility or system stability as stated in the BIOS release notes.

I also notice that Asus has finally addressed legacy USB mouse support. A USB mouse now works in FreeDOS (on the DVD that came with the board).

The only thing left to be done, in my case, is to remove all mention of a serial port in the BIOS for boards that do not have the support or header, like the P8P67 Deluxe. Having Windows set aside resources for a COM1 port that doesn't exist, unless you disable it in the BIOS, is just plain sloppy IMO.

BTW, A few people were having problems with Video clocks and voltages not restoring properly when coming out of sleep.

the new afterburner beta seems to have fixed it.

What size Silent Pro Gold did you get?

I went for the 1000W

It runs quiet and my system is happy now.

I had tried BIOS 2103 with the HX850 but didn't make any difference, so opted for a new PSU and now works great again.

So it really looks like it's my AX-850. I have tried with a antec true power 550 and it wakes from sleep, but no suck luck with my AX-850. This sucks as I have my AX-850 all wired into my case. It also is past it's return date to get a refund.

Any guesses as to why the AX-850 would not resume from sleep?

corban

I've just run into the same problem ! I'm still running an older AMD m/b ( Asrock 939A785GMH/128M), but bought the AX-850 to prepare for Ivybridge and SLI etc. My other psu is an OCZ Powerstream 520w and Hybrid sleep always worked without a hitch.

The only thing i changed was the psu, so now it goes to sleep, but when trying to resume the fans spin and nothing more, the lights don't come on on my GTX460 either, the only way i can shut it down is to switch off the power on the psu.

I was gonna upgrade to an Asus board, but now i'm not sure what to do. Maybe i should return the psu as i've only had it 2 days ? pretty gutted really as i always use hybrid sleep ! :confused:

Another user here running latest bios 2103 with the Corsair AX-850 and cannot get sleep to work reliably. Usually works with resume in an hour, but 8 hours plus is 50/50 with some false starts (fans, lights on/off, etc) after trying to resume. I see a lot of commonality with posts here and elsewhere about this 850 power supply and the asus P8P67 Deluxe motherboard. Also using the 2600K chip and not currently overclocking. Still waiting for a definitive cause and resolution.

Back