Official 660Ti Overclocking Thread

Haha, I'm pretty sure the karma gods have better things to do than strike you down for not liking something, besides he kept the card.

As for rolling the dice on 660Ti they're not that bad, there's a couple bad ones I have seen, but the same goes for the 670...

@ an resolution of 1900 x 1200 I'm just going to grab the best card for max settings and run it stock. Between that & overclocking my i5 760 I'll be set until Haswell which is another topic altogether.

Most of the overclocking potential issues in this thread came from the MSI cards I was looking at it seems.

Haha, I'm pretty sure the karma gods have better things to do than strike you down for not liking something, besides he kept the card.

Nah, they're gods - they're everywhere all the time. And of course he kept it - he was karmically blocked from returning it. Come on, you gotta keep up here. ;)

wat issues with msi overclocking ? Only one person said they had a problem. Working beautifully for me (knock on wood). Prob sell n go giga 670 tho. Ran into bit of cash so f it. Or evga ftw :)

Galaxy 660 ti 2gb GC

actual core: over 1337 mhz

memory: 7.21 ghz

With an ASIC score of 100%. I'm rather pleased. UPDATE: With the new GPU-Z, I find that my ASIC is 84.6%

The 1337+ core is for Battlefield; in Unigine it is closer to 1320. For general overclocking I drop the clocks a little, as there is no need to stress the card for what would be 1 or 2 fps in Battlefield at that point.

Last edited:
Bf3 is 40+fps all the time. Very rarely drops below 50fps. Smooth as butter 1920x1080, all ultra 4xmsaa, motion blur off cuz I hate it. Avg is 50-80 usually. Soooo much smoother than my old 7950. Even with the 7950 at 1175/1500 the 660ti is smoother stock.

Update: New GTX 660 Ti on hand :)

So with absolutely no karmic blocks generally speaking, I talked to the vendor once more. It turned out they sold me an open box, suspected this from the start, at full price. They could not give me a discount, but offered a full refund (strange fellows). The Borderlands 2 problem was solved by picking up an ASUS GTX660 Ti OC what included the BL2 deal. Swap swap, done.

And what a difference between these two identically priced cards! Here are the observations: Not a FPS shootout, plenty of that to find elsewhere.

ASUS GTX660 TI-DC2O-2GD5 : GPU maxed out (boost) stable around 1200 MHz. MEM @ 6666 MHz so far.

Unigine Benchmark run: 100% GPU load, Fan @ 1000 RPM Temp: 61 Noise: None up here.

Nexuiz (CryEngine 3): Fluid, absence of microstutter. 6 fps increase on Ultra settings, ingame bench. But just real fluid now AND Nexuiz have yet to crash as it did running on the MSI card (same game install, nothing touched).

MSI N660Ti PE 2GD5/OC : GPU maxed out (boost) stable around 1050 MHz. MEM: Would not budge. Slight increase instant failure in multiple test environments. One game crashes repeatedly even at reference clock with Fan @ max.

Unigine Benchmark run: 100% GPU load, Fan @ MAX! Temp: 69 Noise: Unbearable with heavy coil whine up here.

Nexuiz: Crashes after app. 10 min. play.

These are just two random cards, this is not science. Please realize I am not making any generalizations here. I think it's safe to say that I got a flakey fluke of a MSI card that is not representative. And boy am I happy with my new ASUS, what an absolute delight. That cooler really works and spares my ears big time :)

Last edited:
whats your actual boost clock while gaming. it should be around mid 1200s stock. the asus ones are aparently the best overclocking wise. all the reviews ive read (at least for the TOP) show it overclock 50-100mhz boost more than any other card. Even mine :(. Dont forget to stay under 70C so u dont get throttled ;)
PS whoever asked why my power usage never goes above 100%. I've read that MSI increased the power limit on there card. so the 100% starting point is actually higher then the 100% starting point of other cards. I dont even go above 75% running stock clocks :D
Still debating on getting a 670. BF3 and Crysis 2 run smooth as butter on stock clocks. So whats the point ????

Anyone else have these in SLI? I'm having trouble over clocking a decent amount without crashes. I have two diff manufacturers, MSI PE and EVGA stock. I'm guessing this isn't most optimal but got one card in Step up and didn't want to go though hassle of selling and buying 'another MSI.

Im thinking the MSI should be on top in 16x slot instead of EVGA.

Any suggestions for SLI performance?

Anyone else have these in SLI? I'm having trouble over clocking a decent amount without crashes. I have two diff manufacturers, MSI PE and EVGA stock. I'm guessing this isn't most optimal but got one card in Step up and didn't want to go though hassle of selling and buying 'another MSI.

Im thinking the MSI should be on top in 16x slot instead of EVGA.

Any suggestions for SLI performance?

Won't make a difference which slot there in. From what I've heard reference don't clock like crazy like non ref. cards do. Ur evga would probably clock to like stock clock of the msi pe. For example, guru3d only got 1163 MHz in games with 1.162v with an evga SC. While the msi power edition oc runs 1202mhz stock in all games I've played as long as its under 70C. Also my stock voltage is 1.162v. Guru3d is usually a bit conservative with there overclocking, but u can see what I mean.
Now I'm confused. Apparently the evga SC has a 1045 MHz base clock, but the msi has a 1019. Can anyone explain y the boost clocks are so much different ???

Last edited:
Won't make a difference which slot there in. From what I've heard reference don't clock like crazy like non ref. cards do. Ur evga would probably clock to like stock clock of the msi pe. For example, guru3d only got 1163 MHz in games with 1.162v with an evga SC. While the msi power edition oc runs 1202mhz stock in all games I've played as long as its under 70C. Also my stock voltage is 1.162v. Guru3d is usually a bit conservative with there overclocking, but u can see what I mean.
Now I'm confused. Apparently the evga SC has a 1045 MHz base clock, but the msi has a 1019. Can anyone explain y the boost clocks are so much different ???

Not quite true, my card will do 1260 max 1238 was completely stable under 70c, but because of throttling I had to drop it down to 1215 because the volts constantly flux.

Well heres a wrench in all the overclocks I have seen. I just got my second 660ti back from RMA and it is really good at overclocking. I have ran 24 hours heaven at a max boost of 1260, never once went over 70c so it was completely stable and voltage never budged from 1.175. The ram on this particular card is crazy I have it currently running at +900mhz and +1000 produces slight artifacting.

Well heres a wrench in all the overclocks I have seen. I just got my second 660ti back from RMA and it is really good at overclocking. I have ran 24 hours heaven at a max boost of 1260, never once went over 70c so it was completely stable and voltage never budged from 1.175. The ram on this particular card is crazy I have it currently running at +900mhz and +1000 produces slight artifacting.

are you only testing with heaven ?. Its not that hard on memory. Crysis warhead benchmark rapes memory. That's insane if that's stable in everything.

are you only testing with heaven ?. Its not that hard on memory. Crysis warhead benchmark rapes memory. That's insane if that's stable in everything.

it's stable in everything I play. No crysis warhead in my collection sorry.

it's stable in everything I play. No crysis warhead in my collection sorry.

Did you check to see if you benchmark went up or down in points? You can get the ram stable at high clocks but usually it lowers your benchmark because of memory error correction.

If you pull more points than 400/500 offset, then I say you got a very nice card. :D

Did you check to see if you benchmark went up or down in points? You can get the ram stable at high clocks but usually it lowers your benchmark because of memory error correction.

If you pull more points than 400/500 offset, then I say you got a very nice card. :D

I definitely tested that no worries score went up until I hit +950

I definitely tested that no worries score went up until I hit +950

That's insane. I sold mine for 275 and got a msi 670 with some borderlands 2 goodness. Bought my 660ti used so figured spend 60 on a game or toss it in the pot for an upgrade. We all know the clear answer :D

your core clock is to high its pointless... i only ran +100 on mine and it ran 1302mhz. u must b throttling somewhere...
EDIT: Im a dumbass your probably running the regular power edition not the power edition/oc

I still have my BL2 code, I've been sitting on it, but really I don't think there's a point to a different card....

I haven't heard much more noise from the Gigabyte guys, I wonder if anyone else is running the Windforce 2 cards...

I exchanged my msi 670 for a gigabyte wind force 3. Never touching reference again. Even at 70% fan which was very loud it was throttling at 70°. Plus since vrms are now located at the back of the card it was causing an electrical buzz through my headset. So annoying. All gone now tho and comp is silent.

I exchanged my msi 670 for a gigabyte wind force 3. Never touching reference again. Even at 70% fan which was very loud it was throttling at 70°. Plus since vrms are now located at the back of the card it was causing an electrical buzz through my headset. So annoying. All gone now tho and comp is silent.

Its funny, my card has zero coil whine, and I can live with the throttling, yes I lose 2-3fps in benchmarks but ehhh.

The only issue if you want to call it an issue is the thermal pads are oozing through the vents of the backplate leaving an oily mess....I have no idea why they're "Melting" so to speak lol.

My 660TI out of the box does 1201 / 6800 (Zotac 660TI flashed with AMP Bios). If I move the power target to +132 it does 1352 but its too hot for my liking then.

Hello all, new guy here. Just purchased and installed an MSI 660 ti PE non OC edition. I have a second one coming tomorrow for SLI.

I have a question. With my card(being that it isn't the OC version) i was only able to get the core to +155 with core voltage at 60%. That gives me 1070 clock up from 915 default, 1135mhz boost, and 1238 during load (heaven). Does this seem extremely low?

The reason I ask is because I see people here reaching much better numbers.(and yes, I know every gpu is different) The other thing i was wondering is, for those of you with the OC addition, are the numbers you guys are posting from core clocks in addition to the factory OC? So if you are saying +1xx, is that on top of the factory 100 oc to give you an over all oc of 2xx?

Do the factory overclocked PE cards from MSI overclock further than the non oc'ed versions?

Hello all, new guy here. Just purchased and installed an MSI 660 ti PE non OC edition. I have a second one coming tomorrow for SLI.

I have a question. With my card(being that it isn't the OC version) i was only able to get the core to +155 with core voltage at 60%. That gives me 1070 clock up from 915 default, 1135mhz boost, and 1238 during load (heaven). Does this seem extremely low?

The reason I ask is because I see people here reaching much better numbers.(and yes, I know every gpu is different) The other thing i was wondering is, for those of you with the OC addition, are the numbers you guys are posting from core clocks in addition to the factory OC? So if you are saying +1xx, is that on top of the factory 100 oc to give you an over all oc of 2xx?

Do the factory overclocked PE cards from MSI overclock further than the non oc'ed versions?

The max boost clock is what really matters regardless of what stock settings are or your +offset, the only default measurement for offset is the vram.

I wouldn't call 1238 a low over clock by any means, there are people out there that can't break past 1180's. its what I would call average.

As for MSI binning their cards, I have no idea.

When you say "The max boost clock" are you referring to the number that posts in the GPU Core Clock slot under the "sensors" tab in GPU-Z?

When you say "The max boost clock" are you referring to the number that posts in the GPU Core Clock slot under the "sensors" tab in GPU-Z?

No, I'm referring to what your max boost clock under load is, I believe you said 1238.

No, I'm referring to what your max boost clock under load is, I believe you said 1238.

which is what it would say under sensors in gpuz. My 670 is weird. My stock Max boost is 1150, but it will only do it between 60-70°. Really annoying since on auto fan it won't pass 58. Under 60 it runs 1137 and under 50 runs 1124. When it passes 70 it clocks down to 1137 again (had to force fan speed down to figure this out). Anybody else seeing this or am I the only one "unlucky" enough to be having this problem. Googled it but found nothing. Gigabyte said I could try to rma is but I'm not going to send it in so they send it back saying its fine. Stupid raven case making my card run to cool :p

Well, got my second card today and overclocked this one separately from the first one. This card is oc'ing to 1307 max boost at 50% voltage. Memory so far is at +250 with zero adjustment to the memory voltage.

Temps are staying below 70c and I have my fan curve set to ramp up when it starts getting close to 70c. However, I did hit it 104% for peak power. Only hitting it for a second then dropping down.

Should I be concerned about keeping power draw below 100% under load?

It's normal. They all clock throttle at 70C and then again at 80C.
Yes that part of it is normal. BUT, it is not normal that it throttles below 50 then goes up a bit then hits 60 and goes up a bit more. Meaning I have to be at 60-70 in order to get my optimal boost clock. below 60 or above 70 makes it go from 1150 to 1137. Y should lower temps mean lower clocks. It is 100% the temperature to. Clocks change as soon as it hits these intervals. I just tried some overclocking thinking hey as long as it doesnt do it while overclocked who cares right. Wrong problem is even worse. itll run at 1252 then jump to 1254 when it hits 60. So stupid. if i hit apply for my overclock while the card is already under load above 60 it will go to 1266 total stable. with the exact same +115 set on the core clock. power usage never goes above 78%. THIS IS RETARDED. Something has to be wrong with my chip. I cannot find anybody else who has had this problem and its driving me nuts ! I mean from what I have read as long as temps stay under 70 and load is 100% on gpu the boost clock should be constantly at its max. then drop 13mhz when it goes over 70 and again 13mhz more when it goes over 80. Guess I'm gonna print my support ticket off from gigabyte and go get me an exchange at my retailer. There gonna look at me like I'm an idiot, but this is bullshit.

Well, got my second card today and overclocked this one separately from the first one. This card is oc'ing to 1307 max boost at 50% voltage. Memory so far is at +250 with zero adjustment to the memory voltage.

Temps are staying below 70c and I have my fan curve set to ramp up when it starts getting close to 70c. However, I did hit it 104% for peak power. Only hitting it for a second then dropping down.

Should I be concerned about keeping power draw below 100% under load?

Leave the voltage at 0% for one, don't even bother messing around with it, it can even cause flux since Kepler voltage is locked regardless.

Don't worry about load, just worry that you can run Heaven for a couple hours. :cool:
Yes that part of it is normal. BUT, it is not normal that it throttles below 50 then goes up a bit then hits 60 and goes up a bit more. Meaning I have to be at 60-70 in order to get my optimal boost clock. below 60 or above 70 makes it go from 1150 to 1137. Y should lower temps mean lower clocks. It is 100% the temperature to. Clocks change as soon as it hits these intervals. I just tried some overclocking thinking hey as long as it doesnt do it while overclocked who cares right. Wrong problem is even worse. itll run at 1252 then jump to 1254 when it hits 60. So stupid. if i hit apply for my overclock while the card is already under load above 60 it will go to 1266 total stable. with the exact same +115 set on the core clock. power usage never goes above 78%. THIS IS RETARDED. Something has to be wrong with my chip. I cannot find anybody else who has had this problem and its driving me nuts ! I mean from what I have read as long as temps stay under 70 and load is 100% on gpu the boost clock should be constantly at its max. then drop 13mhz when it goes over 70 and again 13mhz more when it goes over 80. Guess I'm gonna print my support ticket off from gigabyte and go get me an exchange at my retailer. There gonna look at me like I'm an idiot, but this is bullshit.

Well my 660 throttles at 70c and again at 74c instead of 80c, all I know is Kepler oc'ing is easy, but its also very annoying.

It doesn't sound like there's anything wrong with your card really, my card throttles upwards as well, then holds it peak boost till I break 70c, it doesn't go straight to the max offset. As for changing your oc under load, well its Kepler....

its so annoying tho. My power edition 660ti cranked itself to Max boost no matter what the temp until it hit 70. And the overclocking thing is stupid. Like if I set my oc when gpu isn't under load it maxes out at 1254 but if I set the exact same over clock will the same program running in the background (heaven) it will run at 1266. Exact same settings with same program and 2 different results. No matter what I set my offset to it will not pass 1254 unless set after the card is loaded. Might just sell and get 2 580s this boost clock bullshit is so stupid. I can turn it off i suppose that's worth a shot. Its quite easy.

Why are you so worried about 12 Mhz? It's not like it is going to make any difference in the results.

Why are you so worried about 12 Mhz? It's not like it is going to make any difference in the results.

I suppose your right. Its just annoying that one chip can perform so much differently than another. I got a shit card anyways only boosting to 1137. I've seen stock cards boost this high. OC edition basically means nothing when it comes to Kepler.

On the contrary, you said yourself that your old power edition 660 Ti overclocked. And the Galaxy with its additional power circuitry can overclock with confidence as well.

Something is definitely fishy with the 670, but I think it is a matter of Gigabyte not binning or building for overclocking as much as some other brands, not that they make bad cards at all, merely that they do not target the enthusiast. The card is pre-overclocked; they didn't emphasize super manual overclocking

On the contrary, you said yourself that your old power edition 660 Ti overclocked. And the Galaxy with its additional power circuitry can overclock with confidence as well.

Something is definitely fishy with the 670, but I think it is a matter of Gigabyte not binning or building for overclocking as much as some other brands, not that they make bad cards at all, merely that they do not target the enthusiast. The card is pre-overclocked; they didn't emphasize super manual overclocking

My 2GB Galaxy card didn't want to oc to save its life, 1228 was all it would do, while this card does 1260 max; but I have to set it to 1215 because of the constant throttling with the reference cooler.

The Windforce 3 and FTW can be bios flashed to hit 1.21mv though....

Tigerdirect has the FTW for $389 with BL2, it was $379 earlier this week.

Just an fyi for anyone running the MSI PE 660ti and is having difficulties with overclocking... Make sure you use MSI afterburner 2.2.3. The latest version of Afterburner and Precision X wouldn't overclock my cards much at all, I'm talking +90 core before instability. The cards clocked the same regardless of the voltage and power percent settings. That's when I noticed Afterburner wasn't showing my card as an MSI PE. It just said 660 ti and the extra voltage settings weren't unlocking.

Upon using 2.2.3 my card now shows up as a MSI GTX 660 TI PE and has the extra voltage sliders unlocked. On this version I was able to push +150 core and +600 memory only adjusting the core voltage and power percent.

I don't know if any other cards are affected. I just know myself and a few other PE owners have run into this problem.

maybe I will try the unlock voltage BIOS. Maybe it'll fix the other issues I'm having. Debating if I should return it. Should be easy enough since I have a support email from gigabyte saying return it, but I don't really feel like going to the store and looking like a douche for returning a 2nd 670 for issues that somebody not so ocd wouldn't even notice :D. With heaven maxed, but 4xaa I only go from 57 to 62 at 1250/+400mem. Still if I wouldn't known before hand that gigabyte didn't at all bin, or at least get there hands in the cookie jar with nvidia I'd of for sure spent the extra 40 on an Asus top. What if I wanted to water cool this thing. The way the boost is working in it would make it a total flake under water.

EDIT: WOW ! I have no idea why this worked, but I flashed my card to a 1.212v modded bios from oc.net and boom runs 1202 constant and still never breaks 60. I have no idea WTF happened I had bios F10 then updated to F12. Problem continued. I switched to F12 modded and works now. Everyone says kepler automatically determines its boost clocks. This bios I have says it will run 1202 max boost and it does for everyone who has it. People with sli cards running at different clocks should try flashing the bios from 1 to the other and see what happens. I certainly will be if I grab another card.

Last edited:
Back