officemax WD 80gb $19.99 AR starting 1/25

Originally posted by Nexx
western digital is ownage.. i work for a white box computer manufacturer. wd tend to have much less in the rma department then do the maxtors, seagates and ibm/hitachi drives.

Wow - I have never had a Seagate drive fail, let alone hear of one fail. And I have used maybe 10 or 12 in my own computer and in various builds. I have had both Maxtors and WDs fail (2 of each) and I have used 6 drives from each manufacturer.

I think that this argument, albeit a mild one, is really a moot issue. We all know about the Deskstar hard-drives, and we can definitely classify them as very unreliable. However, The other brands (Maxtor, WD, and Seagate) are really just a case-by-case thing. You may get a Hard-drive that fails, some one else with the exact same hard-drive may have no issues. Also, the WD hard drives have very good warranties, and you can upgrade the warranty of this particular hard-drive to 3 years from the WD site. I highly suggest it, its only $14.99.

Originally posted by lorcani
I think that this argument, albeit a mild one, is really a moot issue. We all know about the Deskstar hard-drives, and we can definitely classify them as very unreliable. However, The other brands (Maxtor, WD, and Seagate) are really just a case-by-case thing. You may get a Hard-drive that fails, some one else with the exact same hard-drive may have no issues. Also, the WD hard drives have very good warranties, and you can upgrade the warranty of this particular hard-drive to 3 years from the WD site. I highly suggest it, its only $14.99.
well considering how all wd's had 3yrs before and now only the wdses have it, it dont think its that "worth" it although compared to not having it, i suppose so. ;)

Originally posted by rally9x
Wow the raincheck actually says 19.99 or do you still have to fill out the rebates.

Sure just after I got the 80 for 40 after rebates that I will probably never get from OM. I had one die so I didn't have much choice so ohh well.

Originally posted by MaMMa
Houston, TX

They had no moar left when I got there and I'd have to say that I'm extremly happy that they did run out. WHy? I got a rain check for the drive at 19.99 without the rebate, they are going to call me and I will get them at 19.99 flat. My gf and her sister came with me so I picked up three :D

$19.99 Strait up no rebates!!!!! I got 6 :D

I didn't. Went to pick up my rain check at my local OM, and they had the rebate forms ready which are good through the 31st, so I had to pay the normal price, 84.54 and now I have to mail the rebates. Still a good deal though, except they only let me buy one, which I had requested three. This is the first time in 6 years that I have actually got something from OM on sale. Finally....

Originally posted by paladin0
Were you able to actully buy and take home 6 or did you just get 6 rain checks?

I got 6 rain checks just gotta wait till they call me back now. My 2 brothers, gf and her sister came with me.

deal is now DEAD.

officemax corporate offices have informed all stores to not accept any more rainchecks. today was the last day to get a drive reserved. sorry to those who missed out on the deal!

Originally posted by Darby40k
sorry to those who missed out on the deal!
LOL it was kinda hard to miss ;)

Thanks a lot though Darby, hopefully I'll be able to let you guys know how it goes for me, including the one raincheck I have that says "advertised price: $9.99"

Great Deal!

damn damn damn...i went to one today, he said "we will probably get them in thursday, but if we dont, we can only honor the $20 instant rebate, not MIR"...grrrr

I went down yesteday (Tuesday) and they let me put two of these drives on raincheck with no problems. Printed out the raincheck reciept and handed it right to me. The rep even went as far as saying that if the rebates were no longer good when they came in, they would give them to me for the $20 price!!! :)

I guess it depends on the store you're dealing with...

Originally posted by Darby40k
deal is now DEAD.

officemax corporate offices have informed all stores to not accept any more rainchecks. today was the last day to get a drive reserved. sorry to those who missed out on the deal!

So are you saying even with the raincheck i cant get the drives anymoar?

Originally posted by MaMMa
So are you saying even with the raincheck i cant get the drives anymoar?

You will still get it if you already have a raincheck, they are saying that you can't go instore anymore and get rainchecks for them, that is why it is dead.

WHOA! where do you get your "experience"? I have worked for a Tech. Department for a school system for 3 years... We order Compaq/HP Pc's for our schools.. ( Budget Wise Computers) They ship with 40 - 80 GB MAXTOR Drives standard.. depending on the model... About 25 - 30 % of those Maxtor Drives have Failed... we had to start Specifically asking for Western Digital Drives because of the turn-over we were having... Out of probably 100 WD Drives we've ordered in the system... (not to mention the 100's i've put in for people) we have had less than 5% turn-over (Bad Drives)... In my opinion... Western Digital is by far the superiour Hard Drive Manufacturer...
Lets see, I have worked in the tech dept. of my college for over a year, do system building for ~5, do volunteer work fora local non-profit for refurbishing computers for ~4 years... Not to mention all the horror satories I have heard around here.. In the drives I myself have bought, I have had 2 seagates go out, 3 connor, 0 maxtor, and 0 WD (Since I never bought any till this deal.) Oh, I have had a old quantum or two go out also. (And just to be fair, the seagates were old 80 meg/1 gig drives.)

Originally posted by five-by-five
You will still get it if you already have a raincheck, they are saying that you can't go instore anymore and get rainchecks for them, that is why it is dead.

I hope so ! !

Cuz i got a raincheck for 2 drives for $20 :D:D

now can you get CC to pricematch the instant rebate, because they have the same drive with the WD rebate and a $10 one of thier own

I have one backordered from an online purchase. I've contacted their customer service and they claim OM is expecting a shipment to their whse tommorow. I'm really tempted to cancel my order since the rebate time window is so short and OM's rebate reputation is pretty bad as it is. The rep told me not to worry, if western digital or OM doesn't honor the rebate (due to dates) that i should call her back and she would "notify corporate".... thats hardly a guarantee to me. I was hoping to hear something like "Oh don't worry kind sir! i'll just make the adjustment to your credit card right now with you over the phone! My you do sound handsome! Care to take me out for dinner?" ........ I'm obviously bored at the moment :rolleyes:

Picked one of these up on Tuesday...had to drive 90 miles to the nearest OM, but they had it waiting for me at the CS desk. Sweet!

I had an interesting idea today, and was wondering if anyone here tried it. If you went to one branch, and they had sold out, so you got a rain check, but then went to another branch that still had the WD HD available, could you cash in your rain check then and there? I mean, you would save yourself $60 in rebates, and you could have the hard-drive as well. Have your cake and eat it too :p

Anyone try that?

Originally posted by fx10000
These Retail Drives only have a ONE YEAR Warranty....But the OEM Drives have a THREE YEAR Warranty??

What gives? I bought one from Office Max and Checked the Serial number on the site and guess what, it is only warranteed untill DEC 25 2004!!!

http://support.wdc.com/warranty/policy.asp

You can upgrade to a 3 year warranty for only $14.95. You did get the damn thing for $19.99.

I just picked upa rain check for two drive 45 minutes ago down at the local Office Max. No hassle, just walked up and asked one of the floor people and he printed it out.

Originally posted by Talon Blackrazor
I just picked upa rain check for two drive 45 minutes ago down at the local Office Max. No hassle, just walked up and asked one of the floor people and he printed it out.
Pure luck on that one. The whole raincheck thing ended a couple of days ago. Cheers to an employee's ignorance ;)

Originally posted by lorcani
I had an interesting idea today, and was wondering if anyone here tried it. If you went to one branch, and they had sold out, so you got a rain check, but then went to another branch that still had the WD HD available, could you cash in your rain check then and there? I mean, you would save yourself $60 in rebates, and you could have the hard-drive as well. Have your cake and eat it too :p

Anyone try that?

On my raincheck it says the name of the store I got it, so unless they don't check that, I guess you can't.

On another side note, if you get your drive from the $20 raincheck between Feb 15 and 21, you might still qualify for the WD MIR. They have two on their form, one for 1/25 through 1/31 and one from 2/15 through 2/21. I guess it's always worth a shot... I mean there's nothing to lose...

http://images.officemax.com/pdf/2004_02/wd2.pdf

OM told me that if the drives come in after the time that rebate is valid they will sell the drive for 20 bucks at the register and be done with it. I hope they get them in.

Originally posted by complexx
OM told me that if the drives come in after the time that rebate is valid they will sell the drive for 20 bucks at the register and be done with it. I hope they get them in.

yup

i got a raincheck for 2

They wouldn't give me a rain check for two so I just drove the other store and got a rain check at both :)

has anyone looked harder at the rebate page?

this deal comes back on the 15th

but its a 20 + 30 rebate. still a deal, i just saw this, im going to go try it anyway

I'll be rather bloody angry if they won't sell it at $20 at the register since my rain check has yet to come in still... This whole thing is a bit fishy and stinks of a new tactic: Give rain checks when you know (or make sure) that an item won't come back in stock in time for the rebates

The closest OM to me had AT LEAST 6 80 GB SEdrives the Friday before the sale. I come back that Sunday the deal started about noon and find ALL western digital hard drives gone. I asked a clerk what was going on with all those drives gone and he said they had "sold out" of EVERYTHING. This included the 80GB SE, 120GB SE, and the 80GB USB 2.0 and the USB 2.0/1394 combo external drives. I have never heard of a place selling every single hard drive on the shelves by Sunday when at least 30 of those drives were in the store on the Friday before. IMHO OM pulled the 80GB USB2.0 and 80GB SE from the shelves (both of which were discounted) and sold whatever 120GB and combo drives they had to the customers, who were expecting a good deal, at normal price. Seems to be a bit shady to me.

If I don't hear from them soon, I'm going in and asking them to replace my raincheck with another model. They better not just be dicking us around.

I'm starting to think of these 80G SE's as the carrot on a stick...

They look so good everybody and their sisters-uncles-cousin go in and for OM it is great advertising... for those of us lookin' for the deal the carrot will remain out of reach.

My local OM says that they still haven't recieved any drives in. I doubt ANY of the rebates will still be valid when they get them back in stock... :mad:

Originally posted by five-by-five
I'm starting to think of these 80G SE's as the carrot on a stick...

They look so good everybody and their sisters-uncles-cousin go in and for OM it is great advertising... for those of us lookin' for the deal the carrot will remain out of reach.

My local OM says that they still haven't recieved any drives in. I doubt ANY of the rebates will still be valid when they get them back in stock... :mad:

Hey I'm from houston also. I just called the OfficeMax by Willowbrook Mall and they said it should come in next week. I also asked him if I have this rain check form then am I guarenteed a HD and he said yes. On the rebate for it says to override the rebates and sell them at 20$ strait up.

I'll be marching down to the Fry and I-10 store ASAP expecting to get it for $20 out the door because I will have missed all the rebate postmark requirements...

OM = :rolleyes:

Back