Oem Sempron 3100+ & ECS Nforce3 combo for $79 + S/H (no rebates)

Status
Not open for further replies.
tuffgong said:
I bit on this deal soley because of its hotness, and was planning to sell it, but after reading this thread, I think I'll build a side machine with it...just need a cheapo video card and a case/psu...I have an old case but the ventillation "blows."

Yeah, it's so much better when the ventalation "sucks".

Sorry, just couldn't resist..... ;)

Order Date: MAR 29, 2006 11:26 PM Overnighted via DHL for $12.80
3/30/2006 9:05 am Shipment delivered.

All I can say is WoW. Cheap overnight delivery and fast.

I got the AX also, btw.

Now all I need is a hsf locally, and I'm in bidness. My #2 comp is getting an upgrade tonight. :D

BTW, this offer is now available through today in Houston area Fry's. Same Sempron 3100 with ECS NF3 motherboard for $79.

so far so good. The board itself looks nice and doesn't feel cheap. I purchased a fan from Altex for 9 bucks. It the cheapest thing in their overpriced store lol. I rec'd a 32bit processor but that fine for me. If I decide to upgrade the processor, I have some room to do so. I heard people getting up to 2.4 on this processor. Combine that w/say a 6800 or higher, you can game very well. I got mine from OP too and arrived in 2 days.

Im formatting my HDD as we speak but did get a decent look at the BIOS. Looks like this board has some decent overclocking options. It locks AGP and PCI seperately too so you can OC those areas on your own if you like. It was very easy to hook up my case's lights too--usually I dread figuring out which goes where because the manual is vague. Not with this board. The book is pretty detailed. I've received mobos w/o any literature and that sucks. Comes with Sata and IDE cables. Of course you get ur IO backplate.

I heard that we shouldn't install a driver or two off the CD. I forget which one but I'm going to research that here in a few. I think its the NFORCE HDD drivers or something like that.

In all for 80 bucks, this was a great deal. Thanks OP. ;)

fuelvolts said:
and dallas

And California. I was going to the Burbank airport and there's a Fry's next door, so I figured I'd look around. Ended up picking up a combo along with a gig of Geil RAM for an extra $50. AX chip. Looked like they have a few hundred of these mobos on the shelf. Hopefully it survives the TSA inspection and delicate Southwest baggage handling.

Pkirk618 said:
so far so good. The board itself looks nice and doesn't feel cheap. I purchased a fan from Altex for 9 bucks. It the cheapest thing in their overpriced store lol. I rec'd a 32bit processor but that fine for me. If I decide to upgrade the processor, I have some room to do so. I heard people getting up to 2.4 on this processor. Combine that w/say a 6800 or higher, you can game very well. I got mine from OP too and arrived in 2 days.

Im formatting my HDD as we speak but did get a decent look at the BIOS. Looks like this board has some decent overclocking options. It locks AGP and PCI seperately too so you can OC those areas on your own if you like. It was very easy to hook up my case's lights too--usually I dread figuring out which goes where because the manual is vague. Not with this board. The book is pretty detailed. I've received mobos w/o any literature and that sucks. Comes with Sata and IDE cables. Of course you get ur IO backplate.

I heard that we shouldn't install a driver or two off the CD. I forget which one but I'm going to research that here in a few. I think its the NFORCE HDD drivers or something like that.

In all for 80 bucks, this was a great deal. Thanks OP. ;)
NP

Btw, the updated drivers off nvidia's website worked best for me. It's normally the Firewall drivers you don't want and some people have trouble with the IDE drivers but i get better benchies with the nvidia IDE drivers over the stock XP drivers...YMMV i'm sure.

BTW, the rest of us recieved cpu's that were labeled "32bit" but everest and cpuz claim 64bit. Quite a few have claimed to install ubuntu linux 64bit and XP64 beta so don't give up hope just yet ;)

And while we're at it, here's a link to ClockGen overclocking software: http://www.cpuid.com/clockgen.php (use this only if you plan on overclocking past the 250HTT limitation)

SJetski71 said:
Jeff Foley said:
Just received mine too... it's a SDA3100AIP3AX CBAEW 0524BPAW... pretty old chip there but still a great deal imho. ;)

Care to see if it'll run some 64bit OS for us, WIN XP64 beta perhaps? :)

I have read about a dozen people claiming to run 64bit on this combo, but some [H] confirmation would be fantastic

I loaded my old WinXP64 360-day trial CD a few minutes ago. Seems to be working except for the fact that it defaults to a video mode that my monitor can't handle. ;) I went in in safe-mode and it definitely works though.

I'm loading WinXP now...

Jeff Foley said:
I loaded my old WinXP64 360-day trial CD a few minutes ago. Seems to be working except for the fact that it defaults to a video mode that my monitor can't handle. ;) I went in in safe-mode and it definitely works though.

I'm loading WinXP now...
Hey thanks for that [H] confirmation man, much appreciated.

Looks like AMD has stopped disabling the X64 instructions on the 130nm 3100+ cores :)

sidenote: these combo's are still in stock, get em while they're hot...

BTW, the rest of us recieved cpu's that were labeled "32bit" but everest and cpuz claim 64bit.

My AX is also showing up as 64-bit on CPU-Z. [MMX(+), 3DNow! SSE, SSE2, x86-64] Family F, Model C, Stepping 0, Regision DH7-CG. I was wondering why the SuSE installer was sure this was a 64-bit rather than 32-bit CPU. Cool bonus.

Been running 2.35GHz full-load(the Seventeen or Bust DC project) for the past ~45 minutes without much fanfare. Looks like I'll be ordering #2 to replace my little Celeron server. ;)

BTW, 2.40GHz failed within 5 minutes. But this is at stock volts so there may be some hope with a little more juice.

fuelvolts said:
Got mine today- works perfect
Running Server 2003 like a champ

Plus, its 64 bit enabled! (but using 32 bit Server) - no SSE3 since its based on Newcastle and 130nm

sempy31000bi.jpg

It does load XP64 SP1 retail

woohoo!

i just bought one of these...whats a good psu/wattage for OCin on air.is this 20pin or 24pin?trying to go cheap as possible ;)

Thanks!

Doctor Carta said:
i just bought one of these...whats a good psu/wattage for OCin on air.is this 20pin or 24pin?trying to go cheap as possible ;)

Thanks!

20pin + 4pin connectors are what the ECS requires.

I've used a couple Super-Flower power supplies and Directron has a great deal on one of the 450w ones. There is a pot to adjust the +5v/+12v rails inside too.
http://www.directron.com/tt520ssal.html
($18.99 plus shipping, limited sale ending soon)

If Super-Flower scares you, try a 350w or 400w Fortron Source/Sparkle supply. Just make sure it has "FSP" in it's model number.

I've got mine running a cheap thermaltake 430w ps - you know how much juice it takes to run a Matrox 4M PCI card. :rolleyes:

http://www.directron.com/hp485d.html

will that work?im a little lost on its specs...it says "20 + 4 (24 pin)."does that mean its one connector of 24pins?or its a 20pin connector with that 4pin aux connector?

Thanks

p.s. i need a psu without led fans :(

p.p.s does this ecs motherboard use the 4pin aux connector?

Doctor Carta said:
http://www.directron.com/hp485d.html

will that work?im a little lost on its specs...it says "20 + 4 (24 pin)."does that mean its one connector of 24pins?or its a 20pin connector with that 4pin aux connector?

Thanks
Most definitely a 24pin (and a totally seperate 4pin P4 connector). They make it confusing because 4 of the pins snap off so it can fit older 20 pin motherboards

My sempron combo is being powered by the Orion 585D BTW, you can barely hear the psu it's so darn quiet.

And yes this ECS mobo uses the 4pin P4 connector, many motherboards don't actually need it to run, but if you have it you may as well use it.

this has got to be one of the nets best hidden secrets

a cheap overclockable 64bit processor and stable mobo for the price a gig of memory. Nice!

I got the parts the other day to build this box for my nephew in law.

Ended up having to order a new power supply as apparently I managed to fry my old one somehow.

Got it up and running today and I must say its a snappy little bastage even with only a single 512MB stick of memory in it and an older IDE hard drive.

I installed all the drivers off the CD it came with except for the NVidia IDE ones as I've heard bad things about em on many different boards.

I've gotten one BSOD so far while downloading a test demo for the 6800 Ultra, and a couple of other oddball things, not sure why.

I'll have more time to complete it tomorrow, but for the money, its a peppy little sucker for sure. I just pray I dont run into any more stability issues, once I deliver this to him, he's over an hour away if I need to go troubleshoot it.

EDIT - Typos

Limahl said:
I installed all the drivers off the CD it came with except for the NVidia IDE ones

I've gotten one BSOD so far while downloading a test demo for the 6800 Ultra, and a couple of other oddball things, not sure why.
You forgot to not install the firewall drivers which is known to cause network related instability. (edit: read further down, there may be some confusion here)

I'd uninstall all of the original drivers, then install the newest Nvidia drivers i linked in the original post, this time leave out both the IDE and firewall drivers.

G'luck either way

does anyone here only OC using that cpuid proggy? I like that better than BIOS OC.

SJetski71 said:
You forgot to not install the firewall drivers, which is known to cause network related instability.

I'd uninstall all of the original drivers, then install the newest Nvidia drivers i linked in the original post, this time leave out both the IDE and firewall drivers.

G'luck either way

I dont even remember seeing firewall drivers listed in the install list.

I'll take a look though, thanks for the reply! He wont be on the net at his house, but for me to set this thing up, networking has got to work! ;)

Limahl said:
I dont even remember seeing firewall drivers listed in the install list.

I'll take a look though, thanks for the reply! He wont be on the net at his house, but for me to set this thing up, networking has got to work! ;)
Actually, first try to disable "active armor" (forget what its called) and see if that disables the firewall.

Pretty sure that's what i did, but for all i know my firewall may still be enabled. Gonna have to look into further.

This thread may have a few ideas: http://www.howtofixcomputers.com/bb/ftopic148119.html

SJetski71 said:
Most definitely a 24pin (and a totally seperate 4pin P4 connector). They make it confusing because 4 of the pins snap off so it can fit older 20 pin motherboards

My sempron combo is being powered by the Orion 585D BTW, you can barely hear the psu it's so darn quiet.

And yes this ECS mobo uses the 4pin P4 connector, many motherboards don't actually need it to run, but if you have it you may as well use it.

just bought this ;) thanks , it can handle a OC right?i bought a gig of used ddr500 crucial Ballistix and trying to find a game'able video card and a good hsf

I think I might have got the wrong deal, I picked up a Celeron D 326 and a ECS P4M800PRO-M for a $69...

got it to about 2.45 right now....with a horrible heatsink...will go for 2.6 later...

SDA3100AIP3AX here.

cpu-z1.jpg
cpu-z2.jpg

cpu-z3.jpg
cpu-z4.jpg

Haven't done extensive stress testing yet, but this looks good.

5.1% vcore overclock (max)
Mem at 2.8v
HT at 3x
Mem at "166mhz"
Got to 272mhz using clockgen
AGP/PCI locked
AGP Sideband/fastwrites disabled in bios (haven't tried enabling them yet, sideband shows up as enabled in CPU-Z and other windows programs though)

Cooling is water (in sig)

This was a KILLER deal, thanks OP!

EDIT: Now sitting at 2.45Ghz prime stable for 7hrs! (272FSB)

The Other said:
anybody knows fry's return policy...

i didn't use anything just opened it...
You shouldn't have a problem returning it, then, as long as you have the receipt

SJetski71 said:
Actually, first try to disable "active armor" (forget what its called) and see if that disables the firewall.

Pretty sure that's what i did, but for all i know my firewall may still be enabled. Gonna have to look into further.

I dont remember seeing a firewall installed when i installed my drivers too

Shodin10k said:
I dont remember seeing a firewall installed when i installed my drivers too
Yea i think i may have confused myself for a second there, i tend to tweak like crazy then forget everything i did :confused: Going to google it some more and gonna RTFM again tonite. Reason being is that my onboard nic acts funny on occasion but seems ok otherwise...If i find anything more concrete i'll post it here, otherwise take all my previous firewall & networking comments with a grain of salt ;)

Talonz said:
This was a KILLER deal, thanks OP!

EDIT: Now sitting at 2.45Ghz prime stable for 7hrs! (272FSB)
NP and great job, 2.45ghz is def above average for this particular combo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back