Odd SSD delays

w00tguy123

n00b
Joined
Mar 30, 2011
Messages
7
I'm having problems with my Intel 160GB SSD running windows 7 x64 bit. For some reason, many applications that use this drive have long delays (up to about 5 seconds) before writing/reading data. For instance, opening a program (even notepad had this issue for while, but not anymore), saving/loading a file in a program, or some other random file I/O tasks. This kind of kills the point of me having this SSD as these long delays are not worth the quicker loading once something actually starts loading. My primary partition only has about 12 GBs of storage left, but I don't think that's the issue here. These loading delays are not always consistent, and sometimes a program will do file stuff smoothly and sometimes every action will cause one of these annoying delays.

I almost suspect my OS because I sometimes use this drive in my laptop running windows 7 x32 bit and don't notice these delays. Should I format/somehow fix my SSD or reinstall windows or both or neither?
 
Have you used the latest Intel SSD Toolbox program to run a diagnostic and check the SMART parameters? If that test looks good, then I would tend to agree with your suspicion of the OS.
 
I ran the toolbox and everything looks like it's working fine (I had to change my SATA drivers to get the program to work, though). The program said I needed to disable SuperFetch, so I did that and also ran the full diagnostic scan.

Right now the SSD is working fine, but if I start getting the delays again I'll install a different version of windows.
 
Many of us are running w7 64bit with SSDs.

Look elsewhere than the OS.

Hmmm, when I said the OS, I meant some setting, or program installed, or something not installed correctly, something corrupted, etc.

I agree that the version of Windows should not make a difference. But erasing the drive and installing a fresh copy of the same version of Windows could make a difference.
 
Hmmm, when I said the OS, I meant some setting, or program installed, or something not installed correctly, something corrupted, etc.

I agree that the version of Windows should not make a difference. But erasing the drive and installing a fresh copy of the same version of Windows could make a difference.

As usual, I buggered that up! :D
 
Yes, I have secondary disk drive but I can hear it when it wakes up. Ever since I switched my SATA controller drivers to get that ToolBox program to work I haven't had any more delays. Apparently there's a compatibility problem with Intel SSDs and NForce boards?

http://communities.intel.com/message/127009
 
Back
Top