odd question

Palliser

Limp Gawd
Hey everyone... I'm looking to get a receiver for my current audio setup at home. I currently have a Philips "all-in-one" setup where all the speakers plug into the subwoofer and then the sub connects to the receiver. This question may be kind of silly and I apoligize for my lack of home theatre knowledge.... but It appears if I wanted to hook my speakers up to a new receiver (like a sony 5.1 receiver) it would work... but since there isn't any cable on my subwoofer and it looks like a "vga" cable from the sub to the receiver... do I need to buy a new subwoofer and call the current one as a loss? I'm trying to avoid buying all new speakers if I can get away with it.

Any thoughts on how to make this current subwoofer work with a new receiver? Or am I just out of luck and need to buy a new subwoofer?

Any thoughts are appreciated.

You need to buy all new speakers/sub.

now now, the speakers may connect to the sub with regular speaker wires and be fine with a new receiver.

Although, they probably arent very good speakers. New sub is needed though.

now now, the speakers may connect to the sub with regular speaker wires and be fine with a new receiver.

Although, they probably arent very good speakers. New sub is needed though.

I've seen Philips all in one recievers, they don't use regular speaker wires. They use RCA plugs but if, by the grace of the gods, the speakers connect using speaker wire then he'd need a new sub only but, yeah, the speakers are probably garbage anyways.

How much have you got to spend?

After making the jump to a nice hifi system, you wont want to keep any of the old system.
You may even want to upgrade your soundcard (and cables if not using ofc) as there is a noticeable difference when you have a decent setup.

Its no real loss that you cant use the old sub, there are some great subs going cheap on Ebay.
Good deep bass adds another dimension to movies and music.
I bought all my Hifi off Ebay with the exception of the sub and amp.
(The sub is so good nobody sells them second hand! The amp is a new one to get the latest video features)
Ebay ftw.
You can get a phenomenal sound for very little money.
Be very wise and read good hifi reviews/appraisals, it may take a while but what you can come away with will amaze you.

Well.. I guess I should just box up the system and sell it as is... then start from scratch. The satellite speakers are actually ok.. but I suppose it would be easier to sell everything, because yes I would have to cut the speaker wire going into the back of the sub... I was looking at the Sony STR-DH520 for a receiver and I guess am now on the hunt for a speaker setup. I have a Sony Bravia LCD TV 1080p, PS3 and DirecTV HD.... thats really all I'm hooking up to the receiver.

I really didn't want to spend more than 170 on the receiver (circuit city has it on sale this week) and am open for speakers under $500 I suppose for a 5.1 setup. I like my sound but am open for suggestions I suppose.

For 5.1 you really want to concentrate on the two fronts the center since these will be doing most of the work.

You can find some inexpensive surrounds on craigslist. Then spend the rest on a sub.

check shoponkyo.com for a refurbed HTiB. for $500 its the best way to go. solid unough receiver to power upgraded speakers down the road when you are ready.

and crim, cut the RCA plug off and 9 out of ten times you have a +/- lead to use as speaker wire. my grandparents had me modify a similar system for them because they didnt care to buy new speakers since they couldn't hear half the sounds spectrum of a normal person's hearing by that point in their lives.

bump

Sorry I cant help with purchasing as I'm in the UK.
Can anyone else help suggest for the OP a good set of speakers / sub / amp for up to $670

Edit:
For reference, I got my Acoustic Energy Aegis centre and rear speakers for about $65 the set, stunning bargain and extremely sweet sounding, a few years old.
My main speakers are the Mission 754 (Missions flagship speaker 10 years ago) and cost $700 because they are rarely for sale, still damn cheap. Simply HUGE sound, not quite as sweet as the Aegis speakers but they blend very well together.
All are soft dome as that is the sound I prefer and were bought off Ebay UK last year .

I'm also considering these as well any thoughts would be great!:

Klipsch

high end

RPW10- Subwoofer
rc-62 - center
RF-62 Floorstands (x2)
RS-52 Surrounds (x2)

OR Lower end

RB-10 bookshelf x2
RC-10 center
RPW-10 sub
RS-10 surrounds x2

I forgot to mention.
If the hifi will occupy a large area, you are best off with at least floor standing speakers for the front and if you have room you can fit floorstanding rears too.
If budget doesnt permit, get large for the front and small rears, upgrade later if necessary.

Buying speakers all of the same series from the same manufacturer is a fair guarantee the speakers will match together well.
If you get good advice from audiophiles you can mix and match effectively, but beware, you can make bad choices.

You don't need floor standing speakers at all. Bookshelf speakers will work well. If you need to you can put them on stands.

Just because speakers are "tall" doesn't mean they're good.

OP only has $500 to spend on speakers.

This might stretch your budget a bit but you arent going to get a better start for the money.
Someone here has posted an advert for the TX-SR605 AV Receiver, $300 delivered.
http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1353914

I dont know the guy or have any affiliation so its up to you to check his credentials but thought you might want a look.
I'm using the the Onkyo TX-SR875, its awesome!

DO NOT get the 605. MAJOR overheating problems; LOTS of people have gotten clicking and other artifacts with them. They are a better space heater than receiver. Also, as far as the 875 goes, their Reon implementation is worse than garbage.

Pioneer or Yamaha please (or Sherwood Newcastle or Denon or Marantz or NAD, etc., if you have a bit more moneys)

Good for you. We have a sample size of two with no problems, folks.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...kyo+605+popping+site:avsforum.com&btnG=Search

Not sure why this brand has become popular lately. They have been good in the past, but their current receivers are junk.

Its better than your sample size of zero, have you ever owned one?

They became popular because they give a damn nice sound and have very good features for their respective price bands.
As can be expected with any product that sells more, there will be more units that also go wrong.

I love my current receiver, its everything I need/want and more.
Your opinion that they are junk is baseless.
Please troll elsewhere.

They certainly do not sell more than Pioneer or, well, many other brands, and I provided evidence to support my claim. A troll that does not make.

You provided evidence that there has been an issue of speaker popping noises with the 605's.
Those with the problem returned them for an replacement without the fault.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=854964&page=85

Post 2530:
"After careful and thorough investigation into this "popping" issue, it has been determined that a random static noise phenomenon may occur in certain listening modes in a limited number of TX-SR605?s. This phenomenon will likely be heard when the unit reaches an elevated temperature. If you believe your TX-SR605 exhibits this characteristic, please take the unit to an authorized Onkyo Service Center for In-Warranty repair service."

Any for sale that are genuine will not have this fault.
Its no doubt possible to buy a faulty one and this is why its a good idea to verify the seller is respectable as mentioned in post #15.

You have provided no evidence that the previous and current generation Onkyos are junk.

I have owned 2 onkyos in the last 6 years and so far no problems with either. I do not own my first anymore, but the guy that sits two desks down from me at work bought it and he is still using it. My 605 stays on almost 24/7 with all of my TV and movie watching running through it and I have had no overheating issues so far. I am not stating that other people have not had problems, merely stating that i have not had them. I believe that for the money it is a good buy. If there is a high failure rate, maybe I just got lucky. It is a well reveiwed unit and a good budget brand.

inversely I had a Pioneer 1015 that blew out the main processor in the first 14 months I had it. I note 14 months because it was out of warranty. Does this mean all pioneers are junk? no. Just that I got a bad one.

It's not one person that got a bad 605 - that's my point. You will not find threads about Pioneers overheating.

Have they fixed the 605/606 problems? It would appear so. But they still run hotter than the Pioneers, are less easily found in stores, and have little if any advantage. And you can certainly still find bad 605s on the market.

Perhaps instead of "junk," what I should say is that they WERE junk that are now, for the most part, fixed but have no advantage over Pioneer or Yamaha.

do they run hotter than comparably priced pioneers? if they do, do the comparably priced pioneers have the same features? heat from an amp is typically due to inefficiency. At the price point of an Onkyo, I expect inefficiency in the amp since I am getting other features. Every purchase is a trade off. If you want a Pioneer with the same features and more efficiency you will pay more. Onkyos 605/606 are easily found in Circuit City and Fry's. That is 2 out of the 3 major retailers in my metro area, Atlanta.

At the time I purchased my 605 there were no sub $400 Pioneers or Yamaha's that did HDMI conversion or had the automatic speaker adjustment using microphone. By HDMI conversion I mean the unit takes any video signal and converts it so that you can run the output through HDMI out. See most budget receivers make you run an analog signal out of an analog cable. the really budget ones make you keep the same format. Like if I had a nintendo (old school) and PS2 using svideo, an xbox 360 using component, and a Blu Ray player using HDMI I would have to run a composite, svideo, component, and HDMI cable out of the receiver to the TV. with the 605 I could use just an HDMI cable t the TV. For a TV mounted over a fireplace or for a projector mounted 40 feet from the receiver, this is a huge advantage.

so you should actually amend your statement that the 605 had issues that have been resolved but it offers no advantages for you over pioneer or yamaha.

It's not one person that got a bad 605 - that's my point. You will not find threads about Pioneers overheating.

Have they fixed the 605/606 problems? It would appear so. But they still run hotter than the Pioneers, are less easily found in stores, and have little if any advantage. And you can certainly still find bad 605s on the market.

Perhaps instead of "junk," what I should say is that they WERE junk that are now, for the most part, fixed but have no advantage over Pioneer or Yamaha.
So what is your point, any 605's for sale here are not worth buying?
Please give a coherent version.

Your statements about them being junk in any way ARE trolling, you have zero personal experience and are are still throwing around flamebait.

Back