Odd Power Button Issue

AmongTheChosenX

Supreme [H]ardness
Jetta Jetbook Laptop, Model is unknown.

Odd little issue where the power button is either shorted or "stuck" logically speaking...

THat is, when I boot the system, it stays on for about 5 seconds and shuts off, as if the power button was never released...

I can reverse the issue by getting it to stay in a "Stuck on" position, where the computer turns on as soon as the battery is inserted, but it never actually shuts down (which is OK for use in my house since someone, especially the little siblings are always going to be using it).

I'm not quite sure what could be causing it but I'm wondering if someone has had a similar issue with a laptop, whether it be a Jet book or another brand.

Adam

Does the laptop function properly when in the 'stuck on' position?

Seems it's a mechanical failure, under button there is flexible contact which is probably either worn out or it no longer holds in its original position and it is not lifting button up again. I don't really know if it can't be repaired probably replacing the entire panel PCB could fix it.

Seems it's a mechanical failure, under button there is flexible contact which is probably either worn out or it no longer holds in its original position and it is not lifting button up again. I don't really know if it can't be repaired probably replacing the entire panel PCB could fix it.

yeah could be something with the power circuitry in the board...

I know there has to be a way to fix it, i just dont know how yet...

so I take it that this is a press down to power on and off type of deal?. Disassemble machine and post up a picture of said power button. We can then tell you what to do to fix it.

so I take it that this is a press down to power on and off type of deal?. Disassemble machine and post up a picture of said power button. We can then tell you what to do to fix it.

no, its a standard "press power button to turn on, hold for 5 seconds to turn off"

^that would be a standard power button for a laptop (a momentary switch) so now that we got that out of the way, get on with getting that pix up as it will tell us what type of momentary switch it is (ie membrane or spring loaded)

edit btw button press behavior is handled by windows as you can tell your power switch to go straight to shutdown when pressed. The hold for 5 seconds is a BIOS command to shut the machine down when the OS is no longer responsive (ie it hangs or freezes)

typical options are

do nothing (windows ignores button presses)
sleep
hibernate
shut down

^that would be a standard power button for a laptop (a momentary switch) so now that we got that out of the way, get on with getting that pix up as it will tell us what type of momentary switch it is (ie membrane or spring loaded)

edit btw button press behavior is handled by windows as you can tell your power switch to go straight to shutdown when pressed. The hold for 5 seconds is a BIOS command to shut the machine down when the OS is no longer responsive (ie it hangs or freezes)

typical options are

do nothing (windows ignores button presses)
sleep
hibernate
shut down
Even if OS ignore pressing of power button, the BIOS wont and after 5 seconds it gets turned off anyway. Seems BIOS can't ignore it by setting either. So there is not really a way how to force computer to ignore constantly pressed power button.

Even if OS ignore pressing of power button, the BIOS wont and after 5 seconds it gets turned off anyway. Seems BIOS can't ignore it by setting either. So there is not really a way how to force computer to ignore constantly pressed power button.

I guess reading isn't your strong point now is it?

me said:
The hold for 5 seconds is a BIOS command to shut the machine down when the OS is no longer responsive (ie it hangs or freezes)

Back