Odd length patch cord suppliers?

vr.

Supreme [H]ardness
I'm hunting oddball Cat5e or Cat6 Ethernet patch cord sizes (3.5ft, 4.5ft, 5.5ft, 6.5ft, 7.5ft, 8ft, 8.5ft, 9ft, 9.5ft, you get the idea) because I'm way too slow at crimping.

Cheapest I've found is SFCable.com or IOFast.com for standard foot lengths and ComputerCableStore.com for in between lengths.

Can anyone recommend other, cheaper vendors than these please?

Black Box does custom patch cable lengths, but usually that is only cost effective in larger quantities. They do have a good selection of cables in 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 etc. foot lengths if that helps.

Yep, I emailed the sales of the vendors I listed just to be sure there weren't more options not listed on their websites. Those other vendors will do custom runs in quantities too. I'm a low volume buyer though.

Thanks, I have. I only found 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 10, 14... but these are pretty common on a lot of sites.

mind if i ask why you "need" such odd lengths? not trying to troll or anything just curious as to the application/need for the weird lengths.

Cable cleanup projects. I don't like having loops hanging at the backs of servers.

cablemess.png

ok totally understand now....every shop i've been around would've told me "here's a spool of Cat6, here's a crimper and heres the box of ends.....see you in the morning." while definitely not fun, after the first few you get the pattern memorized and start shucking them out pretty quick.

all that being said....i'd pay good money for pre-fab custom cables. :D ;)

I do suggest you stick with the attempted (it appears that way at least) shot at color coding.

Anything that can help you trace things faster to fix problems sooner is always better.

Since you're re-org'ing anyway.

Nope, stiltner, going all blue. The color coding shown is from my predecessor buying whatever was cheap at the time. I'm a believer in following a label at each end and keeping those current. It has worked better for me than trying to keep a stock of colors.

edit: thanks jeffmoss26. Yes, I found that vendor already and listed them in my top post. I put in a order for some cables from them and look forward to their arrival.

Last edited:
Yes. they key for any successful IT shop. Get a GOOD label maker. and label everything. That way you know who what where why and again why. why ask why twice? Because in IT theres always one answer, and the real reason something is there.

Nope, stiltner, going all blue. The color coding shown is from my predecessor buying whatever was cheap at the time. I'm a believer in following a label at each end and keeping those current. It has worked better for me than trying to keep a stock of colors.

edit: thanks jeffmoss26. Yes, I found that vendor already and listed them in my top post. I put in a order for some cables from them and look forward to their arrival.

I agree with labels, but I disagree with not color coding... it makes it a lot easier to differentiate between trusted/untrusted/serial etc

Ours is pretty simple...white cat5e for voice, blue cat 5e for data, red for things you don't touch in the rack :D

Back