OCZ Vertex 2 reboots PC?

TCM2

Gawd
Joined
Oct 17, 2013
Messages
572
Hi,

please, I know OCZ sucks, spare me the humiliation. :)

Anyway, system is an MSI Z68A-GD65 (G3) with i7-2600 and EVGA GTX 770. At seemingly random times, the system just reboots as if you had pressed the reset switch. The reset is completely unrelated to the load of either CPU or GPU. It rarely resets when watching TV or playing a game, although it does reset from time to time. The most resets happen when idle. I have always somehow blamed the SSD and I think I confirmed it now.

I wrote a script that just reads an 8G file over and over into NUL: and ran cudaminer. With the script running, it ran all night long. Without the script, it reset after 10 minutes.

Is this a known problem and is there a quick fix? The SSD is long due for replacement, but it has to wait for some time more.
 
What firmware is it running? I believe a Vertex 2 should be version 1.37

Also might want to go into the advanced power settings and try setting the Turn off Hard Disk after, to Never.
 
Firmware is the latest. Power setting was at 20min, disabled now. Let's see.
 
What firmware is it running? I believe a Vertex 2 should be version 1.37

Also might want to go into the advanced power settings and try setting the Turn off Hard Disk after, to Never.

This was my first thought as well. Having the latest firmware on those is a MUST and OCZ recommends disabling any power management on the drive AND preventing your system from going to sleep at all actually.

With that said, spontaneous reboots can be any number of things from the CPU to bad memory to an insufficient PSU. The load you're putting on the SSD could just be coincidence because other parts of the system are ramping up too at the same time. First part of troubleshooting stuff like that is to remove everything you can and start at the bottom. Unplug extra devices/peripherals, go down to 1 stick of RAM, disable any overclocking, etc. Gradually add things back in until it fails again.

And IMO, OCZ doesn't suck, their products are awesome but that SandForce controller is an absolute piece of shit. I've had 4 Vertex 2's die and 2 Vertex 3s die (but OCZ support was great and RMA'd all of them quickly no questions asked). Haven't had any issues with my Vertex 4 as it doesn't use SandForce.
 
As I said, it resets more often when sitting completely idle than under load (both CPU and GPU). PSU is an Enermax Modu85+ 450W which should be plenty. No overclocking anywhere.

I'll watch the situation now.
 
Anything in your system logs? I wouldn't fixate on the ssd and ignore other potential causes.
 
Remove the SSD and boot from a spare drive or SSD. That should confirm whether or not the SSD is truly the issue.
 
Back
Top