OCZ to Unveil New TLC-based SSD Series at Computex 2015

HardOCP News

[H] News
OCZ Storage Solutions, a Toshiba Group Company and the most awarded solid state drive (SSD) brand of all time, today announced plans to showcase the all-new Trion 100 series, a new SSD based on Triple-Level Cell (TLC) NAND flash, at this year’s Computex in Taipei, Taiwan held June 2 - 6. As OCZ’s new value-oriented option, Trion 100 SSDs are built to provide an easy and affordable way for entry-level users to optimize their mobile or desktop systems.

Leveraging Toshiba’s Alishan SSD controller and premium A19 TLC flash memory technology, the Trion 100 series was designed to deliver a superior balance of performance, reliability, and value and will be available this summer. Running live in OCZ’s Computex booth, Trion 100’s preliminary performance ratings include up to 550MB/s of bandwidth and up to 91,000 random read IOPS, making the Trion 100 series a competitive upgrade solution that will transform any notebook or PC.

Do their drives will cause boards to fail to post on a cold boot most of the time? I haven't looked at them since the Vertex 2...

Toshiba bought them, I may give them another try because of this.

I'd minimise the risk and avoid their TLC !

I dont see a reason to buy their drives.
Your OS/Data drive is one of the most important components and there are plenty of known reliable high performing parts.
Until its demonstrated over a long period of time that OCz have got rid of all the people responsible for the previous malpractices and are not doing anything bad, I wont go near them or recommend them.
Both OCz drives I owned went bad.
My fault for giving them another chance I guess.

A bit like I still wont buy from Overclockers.co.uk, the scammy bastards.
Cheapskate rip off merchants when you need support.
(they are not related companies btw :))

Hopefully OCZ's reliability has improved since the Toshiba buyout, but based on my past experience with OCZ drives their reliability is abysmal.

I've had to RMA under warranty, every one I've owned. Some twice.

Adding the inherently less reliable TLC to the mix I would imagine would only exacerbate things.

Yeah - I don't get it. Why use the OCZ name when you could use Toshiba or even both names and get a better response? I guess what do we know. I'm sure they focus grouped it and OCZ still resonates with people.

more people know OCZ when it comes to SSDs. No one has really heard of a Toshiba SSD but OCZ brand recognition is not really a good thing lol.

they might be thinking its easier to repair its (OCZ) image than to make an image for toshiba. Toshiba does have a bad name in many regards in different industries in regards to tech. Their customer service for laptops have been terrible from what i have been told by people owning their laptops.

more people know OCZ when it comes to SSDs. No one has really heard of a Toshiba SSD but OCZ brand recognition is not really a good thing lol.

they might be thinking its easier to repair its (OCZ) image than to make an image for toshiba. Toshiba does have a bad name in many regards in different industries in regards to tech. Their customer service for laptops have been terrible from what i have been told by people owning their laptops.

Toshiba is known for their early nettop SSD's that barely benched faster than traditional HD's. They were reliably, but the performance just wasnt there. Might as well have stuck with a 2.5" hard drive.

OCZ is known for fast drives at a relatively low cost, but with abysmal reliability.

Which name is better to use?

No idea.

My guess it has to do more with comsumer and business branding. Oems use toshiba oem drives quite a bit but there never were really many toshiba consumer purchasable drives like other ssd manufacturers. Ocz pretty consumer focused so people know the name (some for bad reasons) and my guess is they decided to keep it for that reason. Toshiba on the oem side, and ocz on consumer side. Just a guess though.

ocz is still in business?

You couldn't be bothered to read beyond the first three words in a summary? I mean, I know people are too lazy to read TFA, but you responded to something that would have explained the situation to you had you read just the first line in the summary itself.

Good fucking lord.

Do their drives will cause boards to fail to post on a cold boot most of the time? I haven't looked at them since the Vertex 2...

And you, too. READ THE FUCKING SUMMARY.

OCZ is a TOSHIBA COMPANY NOW. NOT THE SAME BRAND ANYMORE.

Yeah, everyone knows that, but did they just keep the brand name, or did they also keep their designs and engineering group?

Because the latter two could definitely impact the reliability of the drives.

Take a pill :rolleyes:

Toshiba should have googled "OCZ opinion" or something before buying, and changed the name. This is exactly the sort of response people are going to give now, especially in these circles. Its like a car company coming out with the Pinto II, the name is a joke forever.

Take a pill :rolleyes:

Toshiba should have googled "OCZ opinion" or something before buying, and changed the name. This is exactly the sort of response people are going to give now, especially in these circles. Its like a car company coming out with the Pinto II, the name is a joke forever.

Geo? :p

Man...
OCZ could have ruled the SSD world with how they started in the early days.
They fucked up so much good will that they started with.

Oh, and OCZ + TLC = NO!

Back