OCZ leaving the DRAM marketplace - Dailytech

DarkStryke

[H]ard|Gawd
Haven't seen this posted yet:

http://www.dailytech.com/OCZ+to+Quickly+Exit+DRAM+Market+Focus+on+SSDs+/article20620.htm

When it comes to performance upgrades for computing systems, enthusiasts have been moving in large numbers to solid state drives. Upgrading a system from an "archaic" hard disk drive (HDD) to a solid state drive (SSD) can make an immediate difference in boot speeds, application launch times, and overall system performance.

OCZ Technology, once primarily known for its DRAM/memory products, has in recent years expanded its product portfolio to include cooling products and power supplies. Another product category that has seen large gains for the company has been the SSD market.

OCZ Technology saw a 325 percent increase in revenues from its SSD business for fiscal Q3 2011 versus the previous year. Q3 2011 SSD revenues were also up 105 percent compared to Q2 2011.

"SSD revenue accounted for 78% of our revenue and just by itself exceeds our historical quarterly revenue totals across all categories, thus reinforcing our decision to discontinue our remaining DRAM products," said OCZ Technology CEO Ryan Peterson.

Thanks to the strong performance of its SSD portfolio, and the overall weakness in the global DRAM market, OCZ is accelerating its plans to exit the DRAM market.

"We still have some commitment on the memory side moving forward and will continue with certain SKUs for a period of time, but the amount of memory sales are going to be non-material to our overall business," said OCZ CMO Alex Mei in a phone interview with DailyTech. "Memory sales continues to shrink as an overall portion of our business to the point where it was not as significant."

OCZ showcased its SSD prowess last week with the announcement of the Vertex 3 Pro SSD family. The new drives feature a SandForce SF-2582 SATA III/6Gbps compliant controller that provides maximum read speeds of 550MB/sec and maximum write speeds of 525MB/sec.
I never counted OCZ as a primary go-to vendor for ram, so I certainly won't miss them. Now if only they would ditch the power supply line, that would be two crappy segments removed.

Banking everything on SSD's, hopefully they keep some semblance of quality up in the next few years.

They were never a good company. All their products have been low end to mediocre at best.

What a pity we won't be able to buy low voltage 1333 CL9 1,65V OCZ ram anymore ;)

In other words good riddance.

I <3 the OCZ RAM in all 4 of the desktops on my home network. The ONE time I've ever had OCZ RAM die on me (years after the initial sale) they replaced it with twice as much RAM free of charge.

I'm not an overclocker, so maybe thats why OCZ works fine for me. I hate to see them go. They can send me any extra RAM they dont want to bother with selling off :)

I'm a Corsair guy now, but OCZ had some really cool looking ram haha. I had the gold and the platinum sets for my i7 and they looked slick.

In other words good riddance.

++

I HATE their ram with a passion. Out of the last 8 or so 4GB kits that I have bought in the last 2 years, at least one of the dimms have been bad in every other pair. Most of the time the dimms seemed to work, yet immediately started failing Memtest, another pair the machine wouldn't even post with them in it.

I won't miss them.

I have some flawless, zero errors, OCZ DDR3 HPC Reaper 8GB... And I helped a friend build his i7 rig a year ago, we ended up putting some OCZ 6GB DDR3 Platinum into it. But after that, I too have moved on to Corsair, haven't had any issues.
I do own the OCZ Stealthstream 600W psu though, I *wish* I had gone with Corsair's HX line in hindsight so I could have a nice clean build, but whatever. That PSU is quiet and seems to work well too.
Am I sad that OCZ is leaving the DRAM market? Not really, I wasn't planning to ever buy their stuff again because of the awful ratings most of their ram gets.

They were never a good company. All their products have been low end to mediocre at best.

I would agree with you on what ive heard of their memory modules but the SSDs they put out seem to be 2nd best (to Intel) in performance and the best when it comes to price/performance.

I would agree with you on what ive heard of their memory modules but the SSDs they put out seem to be 2nd best (to Intel) in performance and the best when it comes to price/performance.
Ah, true that, I failed to mention my dad purchased a Vertex 2 120GB. Fantastic SSD!
OCZ is on the forefront of the entire SSD business, it is understandable that they've seen so much money come from it.

Ah, true that, I failed to mention my dad purchased a Vertex 2 120GB. Fantastic SSD!
OCZ is on the forefront of the entire SSD business, it is understandable that they've seen so much money come from it.

If only these weren't so damn expensive....I would love 1gb transfer rates :D

I must be lucky because I've stuck with Corsair and OCZ memory in my builds since I started building PCs 10 years ago, and I've never had any problems with either brand. I'm using OCZ in my current main PC (almost 2yrs old) and they overclock very well, and run cool at stock 1600 7-7-7. Two older PCs running OCZ modules are humming right along after years of 24/7 server duty. My friend's son is using an old hand-me-down from me with OCZ DDR400 BH5 modules, and it still runs great. I would have bought from them again without any problem. YMMV indeed.

No problems with OCZ in the past, infact, i've bought a lot of their products and am running some OCZ Gold at the moment.
Will be interesting to see what happens to their other product ranges.

I used to use OCZ exclusively but for my most recent RAM purchase I went with G.Skill due to poor ratings and prices for the OCZ equivalents. Unfortunately, the G.Skill memory I got had a bad stick so I was forced to RMA it. Hopefully the second set will be good.

I've had sets from OCZ that worked perfectly but I've also done my fair share of RMAs through OCZ. I've never had any difficulty with the process.

I can't say I'm surprised by this, but they probably shouldn't put all of their eggs in one basket either. If the bottom falls out of the SSD market (unlikely) or the competition gets very cutthroat (likely) they won't be in as great of a position as they are currently.

The only OCZ RAM I used was a set of 2x2GB DDR2 SODIMMs. They worked fine, but I stayed away from them for DDR3 because most of the time their modules were rated for 1.65v instead of the standard 1.5v.

Its about damn time they are leaving. they need to close their doors. The Quality of their products have fallen apart. G.Skill is the Future

Its about damn time they are leaving. they need to close their doors. The Quality of their products have fallen apart. G.Skill is the Future

Thats a fail statement if I ever seen one, ive had nothing but problems with G.Skill memory but my OCZ SSD has been rock solid.

Just came across this article on OCZ from Bright Side:
The best part is that OCZ even showed us 3 new kits of DRAM that they had in development, so to claim that OCZ is completely leaving the DRAM market isn't 100 percent accurate since it isn't an immediate departure. Although, to be honest, the BLADE 2, Platinum XTE and Gold XTE memory modules will likely be the last ones that anyone will see coming out of OCZ as a DRAM manufacturer.
More exciting is the Vertex 3 drive that they will be releasing....SATA III interface with read/writes around 550MB/525MB...thats insanity. If it checks out to be that fast in reviews and its not insanely expensive I think im gonna grab a 64GB one to replace my Agility drive.

As long as they honor their warranty in respect to memory sticks, I don't care what they do. And yeah, I agree that their SSD' are good.

Shame. I actually bought one of their RAM stick and I thought it was of a fine quality...

At least Corsair's there to keep me company.

Have had their Z line PSU which wasn't half bad. Have been repulsed by their RAM for a couple of years though so I will not miss them neither.

I was using their 4G Reaper DDR2-8500 memory kit (2x2G) for the last 4 years. I love their memory. it works right out of the box 0 problems.

Until, I sold my Intel Core 2 Quad 9550, Asus P5Q Deluxe and 2 of that memory kit together couple weeks ago.

Thanks OCZ, I missed you...but I am looking forward for their awesome SSD release. I am waiting for their SATA III SSDs....

Back