• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

OCZ Hybrid drive?

PCIe form factor, wtf? The whole point in a hybrid drive was to still have storage capacity with speed in a nice 2.5" form factor for your laptop.
 
I like the concept. However I would like to see this technology built-in to desktop hard drives. And I mean this technology (a real SSD with a SSD controller that allows cached writes) not the basically usb stick read cache hybrid that Seagate did with its Momentus XL.
 
i think that it is an excellent concept. These types of devices are becoming prevalent. the strengths/weaknesses of this implementation all come down to the caching algorithm.
 
I'm waiting for the BYOD (bring your own drives) approach to continue to mature, meaning controller cards and motherboard-integrated controllers giving you the option to use your own drives without sinking money into a proprietary all-in-one card like this. I don't like this for the same reason I don't like the Revodrive - too many points of failure, and nevermind that its from OCZ.

A few vendors as well as ZFS are already leveraging SSD's for caching obviously ("Cachecade" on higher end LSI raid cards, etc) but for a lot of people, especially power users that want to maintain a fast desktop system without the complexity of raid cards, I can see how having one drive letter for the combined storage of an SSD + one or more spinning disks would be of great interest, and I imagine we'll be seeing Intel and its partners implementing this feature on motherboards more and more as time goes on. If I recall RST already allows you to set an SSD as a cache drive but once again that's different than a concatenated volume, ideally the user would also be able to set their own preferences for how hot and cold data is handled, perhaps with the ability to mark certain folders or applications as always-hot (stored on SSD) or always-cold (stored on spinning disk), something like that. We'll see.
 
Last edited:
there are definitely two schools of thought there, the bland version is no user interaction, for the average Jo, but then there are guys like us who want to tweak every setting possible.
We need a motherboardd implementation (i agree completely) that has the best of both. make it as detailed as the user wants it. Complete autonomy or mind numbingly controllable.
I wasnt aware that ZFS is doing SSD caching? jesus im such a loser when it comes to ZFS. just now starting to really play with flexraid.
 
Yeah ZFS has allowed using one or multiple SSD's as a pool cache for some time now, even splitting them up such that one or more SSD's for reads (aka "L2ARC") and one or more for writes (aka "ZIL"). Not terribly useful for home server, media file storage type people but but definitely has its place in multi-user environments with smaller, more frequently accessed files being hit by multiple people. Or if you're storing VM/iSCSI images on the pool. Some background on SSD caching w/ ZFS: http://blogs.oracle.com/brendan/entry/test

Getting back to the point of this thread though the whole idea of "Hybrid" volumes meaning the merging of SSD's and spinning disks into one volume transparently with the SSD handling the most frequently accessed data isn't any huge leap forward in performance storage, all its really saving you is the trouble of having to split up your files over multiple drive letters at least if we're talking Windows. Not to mention, you've got reduced RAID0 type fault tolerance meaning if either the SSD or spinning disk fails then the whole volume is failed. At least in the scenario of an SSD being a pure cache and not part of the volume space, it can fail without hosing the data on the spinning disk. I think the pro's still outweigh the cons in a Hybrid scenario but something to consider.

So the hybrid thing seems really more of a convenience multiplier than a performance multiplier if we boil it down. If you're really after performance then you can already get that today - multiple SSD's + one of the higher end LSI controllers + Cachecade key and off you go. As I'm sure Computurd can attest.
 
Last edited:
i personally prefer cachecade. i did write a decent article on cachecade pro not too long ago...:)

Whats crazy is that i cannot link to that site from this forum unfortunately.

anyways the performance that i found on cachecade is pretty dang good. really amazing tbh. if you guys are interested enough, go look at the article :)

i like to think its the uber mix of HDD and SSD :)
 
ssd caching on linux can also be accomplished with the use of http://bcache.evilpiepirate.org/ or flashcache from facebook

I have used flashcache for a little bit. Although since I could still not get the desired performance on a windows guest ( I need 8GB of guest ram, good guest video, good guest disk and 6+ guest cores) I moved to using windows as the host for now.
 
Back
Top