OCZ 850w questions

dj LiTh

Limp Gawd
Joined
Mar 10, 2008
Messages
229
Hey guys, i'm about to add a 2nd 8800gt to my rig for sli, and currently only have a 500w power supply (though its of good quality) i'm worried about not having enough juice for my rig. I'm over here in Hungary (American medical school student) so my choices are limited. I can easily order OCZ power supplies such as the 700w and 850w gamerxtream's. I know from reading this board that the 700w OCZ suffers from power ripple and possible fan noise issues. Does anyone know if this holds true for the 850w aswell? I rather go overkill as i will eventually add 1 or 2 more HDD's and always have a ton of 80mm fans going.

Thanks in advance guys!
 
I have the Gamextreme 700w in my system and have read about the ripple issues with the OCZ, if I recall it really only comes into play when the thing is really pushed. It is running fairly loaded with an E6600 on a 680i platform, 8800gtx SLI, 4HDs and I have had no stability problems with it. The PSU fan does noticeably spin up when I am gaming due to the extra loading, but it is not what I would consider all that loud (that's totally subjective of course), with normal loading I don't even notice it over the ambient noise level of the other case fans and hard drives.

I have no experience with the 850W model, just thought I would chime in about my experience with the 700.
 
Thanks for your reply FuSoYa, anyone else have any experience with this?
 
Yes, the 850W GameXStream is based on the same FSP Epsilon PSU design as the 700W version. So it will exhibit the out of spec ripple at high loads, just like it's 700W brother. Granted you may not reach such loads but why pay for a 850W PSU that's only good up to 500W or so? So try to find some other options.
 
I have the Gamextreme 700w in my system and have read about the ripple issues with the OCZ, if I recall it really only comes into play when the thing is really pushed. It is running fairly loaded with an E6600 on a 680i platform, 8800gtx SLI, 4HDs and I have had no stability problems with it. The PSU fan does noticeably spin up when I am gaming due to the extra loading, but it is not what I would consider all that loud (that's totally subjective of course), with normal loading I don't even notice it over the ambient noise level of the other case fans and hard drives.

I have no experience with the 850W model, just thought I would chime in about my experience with the 700.

I don't know how thats possable:eek: I don't have half of the things you have in your system and my system powered off so much I disconnected one of my 8800gtx cards because I thought I would damage some thing. This is my 3rd ocz power supply. The first one was the 520adj that would not run my 7950 gx2, OCZ Replaced it with the gamerxtream 600 w. I then bought the gamerx 700w and now its punked buy 2 8800gtxs. I don't think I'll be buying anymore ocz power supplies anytime soon:mad: If you look on sli zone that 850w model isn't sli certified. I would read some of the reviews and buy another brand. It might cost a little more now, but less in the long run;) Hope that helps
 
Back
Top