Oculus Has Bungled The Launch Of The Rift

Why have I not read any reports of permanent SDE "burn in"? Probably because I don't waste my time on reddit. Or because it's clearly bullshit. I can totally believe there might be long-term effects from extended use, but that is not one of them. But since apparently you can't tell the difference between VR and moving your head in front of a big monitor, you're probably best out of it.

You might want to look into what people have experienced with laser eye correction surgery. It turns out it's temporary, does actual damage to your eyes, and your eyes generally just get worse and your surgery is useless. But they said it was safe didn't they? Only one problem, you are not guaranteed anything in this world, so if it messes your vision up, or really just takes your money and you have to get glasses in 3 years, then go ahead and sue. You'll probably lose and still have bad eyesight.

There have been several reviewers that stated that their eyesight outside VR now has a screendoor effect where it appears they still have the oculus on, and can clearly see a screendoor in their everyday vision.

Five-hour play sessions with an Oculus Rift are giving me “grid eyes”

"But even 1920x1080 isn’t that high a resolution when the screen is centimeters from your eyes, and the lenses necessary to focus the screen make it look like you’re sitting inches from a TV (as many of us oldsters used to do when watching Saturday morning cartoons). The individual pixel elements of the screen are clearly visible in a grid or "screen door" pattern. The image itself is quite fluid as it changes, but the bright dots making up the picture themselves don’t move.

I can still faintly see this grid right now when I squeeze my eyes shut, in spite of the fact that I’ve had a solid night’s sleep. It’s superimposed over the usual retina noise I get when I close my eyes—or perhaps it’s better to say that it’s a very prominent part of the noise. It’s definitely less prominent than it was last night after a five-hour gaming session, but it’s still there."

You do what you want, and I'll do what I want and have a good day. No problem with me that you do whatever you want.

You might want to look into what people have experienced with laser eye correction surgery. It turns out it's temporary, does actual damage to your eyes, and your eyes generally just get worse and your surgery is useless. But they said it was safe didn't they? Only one problem, you are not guaranteed anything in this world, so if it messes your vision up, or really just takes your money and you have to get glasses in 3 years, then go ahead and sue. You'll probably lose and still have bad eyesight.

There have been several reviewers that stated that their eyesight outside VR now has a screendoor effect where it appears they still have the oculus on, and can clearly see a screendoor in their everyday vision.

"But even 1920x1080 isn’t that high a resolution when the screen is centimeters from your eyes, and the lenses necessary to focus the screen make it look like you’re sitting inches from a TV (as many of us oldsters used to do when watching Saturday morning cartoons). The individual pixel elements of the screen are clearly visible in a grid or "screen door" pattern. The image itself is quite fluid as it changes, but the bright dots making up the picture themselves don’t move.

I can still faintly see this grid right now when I squeeze my eyes shut, in spite of the fact that I’ve had a solid night’s sleep. It’s superimposed over the usual retina noise I get when I close my eyes—or perhaps it’s better to say that it’s a very prominent part of the noise. It’s definitely less prominent than it was last night after a five-hour gaming session, but it’s still there."

You do what you want, and I'll do what I want and have a good day. No problem with me that you do whatever you want.
I've had this happen with the DK2 I had. Even after a long day and night in front of my display set at 120 hz I see flashes as well. It's just your visual center adapting to a sustained stimulus. There was an experiment where a researcher had a subject wear goggles with prisms that inverted her vision for a duration of a month or so, as I recall. Well, after wearing it for a month her vision righted itself, but when she took off the goggles, the world was now upside down again. Her visual cortex had rewired itself to perceive the world as upside-down - in accordance with the visual stimuli it was presented. After a while her vision went back to normal as her brain readjusted, again.

With it being the DK2, he acknowledges that the CV1 is a different kettle of fish.

I've had this happen with the DK2 I had. Even after a long day and night in front of my display set at 120 hz I see flashes as well. It's just your visual center adapting to a sustained stimulus. There was an experiment where a researcher had a subject wear goggles with prisms that inverted her vision for a duration of a month or so, as I recall. Well, after wearing it for a month her vision righted itself, but when she took off the goggles, the world was now upside down again. Her visual cortex had rewired itself to perceive the world as upside-down - in accordance with the visual stimuli it was presented. After a while her vision went back to normal as her brain readjusted, again.
It doesn't take a month, it takes 3 days, but completely uninterrupted..

Recent Orders

Oculus Rift
$648.42
3/1/2016

Order Status
Pre-order
Tracking #
(TBA when your order ships)

Estimated Ship Date
7/25/2016 - 8/4/2016

You might want to look into what people have experienced with laser eye correction surgery. It turns out it's temporary, does actual damage to your eyes, and your eyes generally just get worse and your surgery is useless. But they said it was safe didn't they?

Because wearing a VR headset is exactly like laser eye surgery, right? And someone who saw residual effects after countless hours playing one game on a DK2? If I play one game for hours on end on a regular monitor I can experience residual images when I close my eyes, for hours afterwards. And then it goes away. And I've been doing that for over 30 years. Meanwhile, I've experienced zero screen door burn-in on the Vive so far, despite also playing Elite for several hours at a time. It makes no difference to me if you abstain, just try and do it without the FUD.

Anyway, like most people who have ordered, my Rift has been pushed back another 2 months, in my case to the end of June. I haven't quite reached the point of cancelling, despite already having the Vive, but it has definitely been a less than stellar launch. On the plus side, by the time I actually get it maybe the touch controllers will be available.

Well, my Rift order shipping dates have only shifted by roughly a month. From the original 2nd-3rd week of April window to this as of today:

Order Status
Pre-order
Tracking #
(TBA when your order ships)
Order #
613000028XXXXX
Estimated Ship Date
5/16/2016 - 5/26/2016

Pretty sure the Vive that I also pre-ordered will beat the Rift to my door now... Just got a notice last week that it was now being processed. (Managed to place the Vive order 22 minutes in after the flood gates opened up on Feb 29th. Hoping it arrives within the next couple of weeks.

I've been on this fancy new tech wagon before. I think I'll wait for second gen before jumping on the VR bandwagon.

I've been on this fancy new tech wagon before. I think I'll wait for second gen before jumping on the VR bandwagon.

Definitely. Easy decision when considering the lack of content.

Back