Oculus Go: Leaked Image Shows 1,000 Apps, Movies and Games at Launch

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
The packaging for the Oculus Go has been released, and it appears that the VR headset will have plenty of content for users to enjoy when it debuts this year. The beauty of the Go is that it is wireless and will not require a PC or smartphone to function.

The image shows the box for the $200 device with available apps listed including Netflix, Hulu, Ultrawings, Facebook, The New York Times and others. Oculus Go includes everything you need to have a seated or standing VR experience, and all the apps released for the Gear VR over the years should be technically capable of running on the gadget.

I have heard nothing about this product previously. But the price point and it being an all on one solution is what needs to happen to get more buyers into VR. It looks pretty interesting so I’ll see how the reviews turn out.

The problem here is this is Facebook going vertical. Without MS and Google to reign them in, they are going to have a FIELD day with annoying and pushing around the user.

This is the first time I hear of this also.
WTF does it mean you won't need a PC or smartphone? What will the games run on, the headset itself?

We need another VR device?

Even the cell phone headsets aren't selling, my local Walmart has them marked down to $1.

could literally be like 980 apps/movies and 20 games, but at least they are expanding the market. . .somewhat.

The point is everything is probably on board somehow.
I mean what's the point of putting all that into the headset. So it will be heavy, and probably generate additional heat, if the heat from the lcd displays were not enough. And likely not very powerful either in computation. What kind of apps will it be able to handle with it's onboard processing capability?

To have that many at launch probably means they didnt restrict much or any of the pushed apps.

It will likely be like the Google App store having 100's of calculator apps all basic with nothing special about them.

I mean what's the point of putting all that into the headset. So it will be heavy, and probably generate additional heat, if the heat from the lcd displays were not enough. And likely not very powerful either in computation. What kind of apps will it be able to handle with it's onboard processing capability?
the point is that unless you own a very specific select few model of cellphones, you dont have access to mobile VR. This is an all-in-one device so you dont have to throw a galaxy S8 in there or whatever. Also without the overhead of a cellphone and all of it's background resources running you can streamline and tailor the OS to do just one thing, process VR stuff.

I think it's an interesting idea but VR will never really take off until you get 6 degrees of freedom or however you want to call it, the ability to actually walk around UNTETHERED.

I have heard nothing about this product previously. But the price point and it being an all on one solution is what needs to happen to get more buyers into VR. It looks pretty interesting so I’ll see how the reviews turn out.

I'm guessing that it is not a high end device. At that price? I'm thinking "Google Cardboard / Daydream sans phone", if even that.

"available apps listed including Netflix, Hulu"

why would someone want to watch tv on such a thing?

I'm guessing that it is not a high end device. At that price? I'm thinking "Google Cardboard / Daydream sans phone", if even that.

I wouldnt discount it so quickly. Its John Carmack's passion project with Abrash designing the hardware. It will definitely be better than Gear VR

God, what is wrong with people in this thread. Do people in here not know anything about smartphones? They are running a full fledged smartphone processor and smartphone graphics without the overhead of running a 4G modem and other battery and processor draining items like in a cell phone. SOCs today have a lot of processing power.

God, what is wrong with people in this thread. Do people in here not know anything about smartphones? They are running a full fledged smartphone processor and smartphone graphics without the overhead of running a 4G modem and other battery and processor draining items like in a cell phone. SOCs today have a lot of processing power.
A full fledged smartphone processor! My world! And smartphone processors are known not to generate any kind of heat right?
And you say it doesn't have a 4G modem that is notoriously draining processors? That's amazing!

Lol, you made my day with that post, that's the best laugh I had today!

I wouldnt discount it so quickly. Its John Carmack's passion project with Abrash designing the hardware. It will definitely be better than Gear VR

There is only so much you can do with the thermal envelope that can be dissipated by something that small, especially at a $200 price point. VR still uses a lot of GPU horsepower.

It's not like in any alternate universe it is feasible to put dual Titan V's in there or anything :p

The box says it all, really. An entertainment device, not gaming gear. Way bigger market. Not sure I'd bite on a FB product

There is only so much you can do with the thermal envelope that can be dissipated by something that small, especially at a $200 price point. VR still uses a lot of GPU horsepower.

It's not like in any alternate universe it is feasible to put dual Titan V's in there or anything :p

Believe me, im a HUGE critic of Oculus Go (especially the part about Facebook going vertical), but i do think it will be comfortable and useful, much more so than Gear VR. At the very least i can show off some of my custom VR work and experimental local co-op VR experiences like Werewolves Within without dragging around a noisy laptop.

Back