Oculus 3 age verification

Liver

Supreme [H]ardness
I have an Oculus 3 and the whole family uses it. Me and two kids mainly (9 and 11).

This weekend, I just got an email for age verification. Seems like the games that I allow my 9 year old to play has raised some flags. They want me to verify my age and then make her a separate account. An account that she has control over at 13.

If I do not do this, I lose my account and all the games I paid for in 14 days. I do NOT think it bricks the Oculus.

Ive looked this up, and its random and real (as far as I can tell).

If you have any advice, let me know. I’ll get rid of this thing before I make them an account.

I never had Facebook (or whatever it’s called now), I only registered to use the Oculus.

Of course, I have to add all this with another email address. Presumably one managed by the child.

If I don’t, then I need age verification.

IMG_3707.jpeg

Make them an account that you manage seems to be the solution. Sounds like then you can authorize the games they play. Since this is tethered to facebook this exists because of the different measures to attempt protect kids on social media so facebook has to do this.

Your choice really is send your drivers license or make them a facebook account. :( I dont know what its capabilities are in offline only modes or gaming through steam.

Meta account for the kids, not Facebook account. Same company but the Facebook account requirement was short lived. You can have a Meta account for the Oculus without having a Facebook account.

Got it.

So now I have to get them an email to get them a meta account.

Could just create a dummy kids account. Im comfortable with lying so myself i would just make up names and dates and use a junk gmail address.
I would be careful about that. Back when Quest required a facebook account people used fake profiles and got their accounts deleted.

I had to go through this bs as well. I created the secondary account for my kid, but it still pestered me for age verification afterwards. There was no way around it. There is a section in their settings, where you can have them delete all image data used for verification within 30 days. The default is set at 1 year from verification.

Reactions: Liver
like this
I had to go through this bs as well. I created the secondary account for my kid, but it still pestered me for age verification afterwards. There was no way around it. There is a section in their settings, where you can have them delete all image data used for verification within 30 days. The default is set at 1 year from verification.

How do they know someone underage is using it? Are they getting reported in online games or something?

I am really considering ditching this device all together. It an entertainment device and nothing more to me and my family. I should not need to do this level of verification for an entertainment device.

How do they know someone underage is using it? Are they getting reported in online games or something?

They're collecting facial data and using facial recognition. That is what you get when you use a headset with inward facing cameras that also requires an online account to use.

I assumed it was based on the games she was playing, never crossed my mind it was the inward cameras. I realized this is part of the EULA, still a bit creepy.

I am really considering ditching this device all together. It an entertainment device and nothing more to me and my family. I should not need to do this level of verification for an entertainment device.

I assumed it was based on the games she was playing, never crossed my mind it was the inward cameras. I realized this is part of the EULA, still a bit creepy.

Quest 3 doesn't have inward facing cameras.

You were agreeing it has an inward camera. Which is wrong.
I thought they were referring to a different headset since they used a different name. My thinking on it being toss worthy is unchanged unless you're saying it also doesn't need accounts, sub-accounts, and verification.

I thought they were referring to a different headset since they used a different name. My thinking on it being toss worthy is unchanged unless you're saying it also doesn't need accounts, sub-accounts, and verification.
I agree on the verification thing.

Last edited:

Do you know anything about Quest 3?

It's a standalone headset. Meaning it's essentially a game console built-in to a VR headset. You download the games and play them directly on it. Just like an Xbox or PlayStation an account is necessary to purchase and play games.

Just like everything else you can setup parental controls so kids can't use your credit card or play games you don't want them to. Minimum age for child accounts was 13 until just recently they lowered it to 10.

There are not inward facing cameras or any sort of face tracking. Do people really need to make shit up to rage about?

The way OP described it they were all just using his account. So my question is how did they know it was a kid. Did a game simply prompt for age and the kid entered in 9? Were they playing a multiplayer game and someone reported them for being under age? I actually just want to know. And the random bullshit people are making up and raging about is annoying.

I get it, all parents say this, so I’d like you to take my word (which is true) but can’t fault you if you don’t.

My kids know that lying to me carries a stiff penalty, all it takes is one time to learn a lesson. Also, they are not allowed to use the oculus without asking. Most of the time they play, it’s being cast to my iPhone and then to the apple tv which is on the big screen. So I know what they are playing.

All social aspects of the account are shut down. Can’t talk to anyone, can’t hear anyone. None of the games we have require any social interaction.

They play a lot of Rec Room, which no adult should or would ever play. That’s all I got on how they know kids are playing on my account.

edit. And vacation simulator.

It's literally not true....
You mean the internet lied to me? What is the world coming to when you can no longer trust the internet?
Do you know anything about Quest 3?

It's a standalone headset. Meaning it's essentially a game console built-in to a VR headset. You download the games and play them directly on it. Just like an Xbox or PlayStation an account is necessary to purchase and play games.

Just like everything else you can setup parental controls so kids can't use your credit card or play games you don't want them to. Minimum age for child accounts was 13 until just recently they lowered it to 10.

There are not inward facing cameras or any sort of face tracking. Do people really need to make shit up to rage about?

The way OP described it they were all just using his account. So my question is how did they know it was a kid. Did a game simply prompt for age and the kid entered in 9? Were they playing a multiplayer game and someone reported them for being under age? I actually just want to know. And the random bullshit people are making up and raging about is annoying.
Okay, looking at the actual EULA I did find that the Quest 3 has a method to ensure the headset fits correctly over your head and face. Perhaps this is how Meta figured out somebody underage was using it since her head would be so much smaller.

You mean the internet lied to me? What is the world coming to when you can no longer trust the internet?

Okay, looking at the actual EULA I did find that the Quest 3 has a method to ensure the headset fits correctly over your head and face. Perhaps this is how Meta figured out somebody underage was using it since her head would be so much smaller.

The only thing the software knows about the headset adjustment is the IPD (distance between your eyes). While you're playing they can also tell approximately how tall you are by how high the headset is above the ground. I doubt they use any of that to determine age though. I've let people use my headsets and it didn't ask if a different person was using it, age or anything like that. They just put it on, adjusted it, and played as if they were me.

The only thing the software knows about the headset adjustment is the IPD (distance between your eyes). While you're playing they can also tell approximately how tall you are by how high the headset is above the ground. I doubt they use any of that to determine age though. I've let people use my headsets and it didn't ask if a different person was using it, age or anything like that. They just put it on, adjusted it, and played as if they were me.
An AI algorithm could still use that to determine the age of the person wearing it. You can turn the feature "off" according to the EULA, but that doesn't mean that Meta still isn't collecting the data.

like this
Im still conflicted on what I should / want to do about this. Yes, I know, its my decision, I’m just struggling with it, mainly because of the dollars invested.

Comply with it, to continue to use a device voluntarily for entertainment only, which is in line with the EULA (still haven’t read it). Or simply walk away.

Im still conflicted on what I should / want to do about this. Yes, I know, its my decision, I’m just struggling with it, mainly because of the dollars invested.

Comply with it, to continue to use a device voluntarily for entertainment only, which is in line with the EULA (still haven’t read it). Or simply walk away.
I'd sell the stuff if possible.

like this
Creepy creepy creepy!
I'd get rid of it and never use a Meta corporation product ever.
We can't be naive about technology in this day and age. We know what Facebook and those other companies have done over the years. We KNOW.
Why fall into their trap once more?

A wise man once said, "Take responsibility for your own actions."

Then how is it detecting a person's age? Why not just make one adult-account, and have it assume that all use is from the same person?
Why is it even trying to figure out who's using it? Why it is even trying to police the games that someone plays? Something smells fishy.

Then how is it detecting a person's age? Why not just make one adult-account, and have it assume that all use is from the same person?
Why is it even trying to figure out who's using it? Why it is even trying to police the games that someone plays? Something smells fishy.
Either they can detect through movement or audio, or someone reported it, or it is completely random and OP just got hit with it.

OP can make one adult account, but meta is requiring that they provide identification to prove they are the adult first.

This all stems from companies getting in trouble for kids getting hurt or taken advantage of online from predators, companies, scams etc.

Kind of how we all laugh when you go to a website and it says "click to verify you are over 21" knowing that it filters out pretty much nothing, this is the alternative to it when they actually are filtering.

I assumed it was because the games she was playing. I did more research yesterday and it could be random, but I really doubt it. Having an age verification being random seems very low yield. Honestly I do not know how or why I got the age verification.

So I emailed Meta and its their policy and they ain’t budging (based on one email).

This was my thought process. I was (and still am) okay making an account for myself to use this product. I was (and still am) okay with my kids using this product with the amount of direct supervision I provide.

I am not okay with them having their own account, unsupervised, at age 13 (but time will tell). I am not okay with sending a government ID to Meta for age verification. I get it, Meta could get my ID if they wanted it, but I do not have to facilitate that.

So I made them an account. They have no access to the email account, nor do they have to use the Meta account I created.

We used the Oculus so occasionally, that if Meta decides to enforce this, I’ll walk away.

If someone is signed in as a 40 year old playing with people signed in as 15 year olds it probably gets flagged.
I'm guessing while playing Rec Room it detected that and just flagged the account. Or someone could have reported them for whatever reason, valid or not, in that game.
Rec Room but it's basically Roblox in VR and they probably have age gated areas that use your account information or prompt for age.

You would probably be fine if it was only single player games. But it might be a problem for Rec Room or other multiplayer games. They don't want people repeatedly making new accounts to troll people. They don't want kids joining adult areas, and they don't want 40 year olds in kids areas. That's why they do the account verification for both kids and adults.

Back