Oculus 2nd Developer kit pre order LIVE

If you aren't doing development work with it, I still suggest waiting. 960x1080 per eye at 75 Hz is pretty good, but not quite what you need. If the consumer Rift can get that up to 1280x1440 per eye and 90 Hz or so, that's going to end up being pretty massive.

Last edited:
damn... definitely not a developer, but temped to buy one anyway lol That is a decent price.

Cool, this sounds like the hardware that people were raving about at various tech conferences this year. I'm excited to see how well they're able to pull this off.

I would recommend buying a development model and posting a review. That is a very reasonable price. If they get much higher is display spec they will be difficult to power. You would want a very high min FPS with these.

Very tempting. I hope it stays around this price when the final consumer product hits the market.

I am really interested to see the new version and how it responds. Hopefully I will get another chance at this years QuakeCon to try this new version out.

It would cost me about $500. Pass :(

We're always fucked, while americans pay peanuts for electronics.

Also 75Hz is rather low imo.

If you aren't doing development work with it, I still suggest waiting. 960x1080 per eye at 75 Hz is pretty good, but not quite what you need. If the consumer Rift can get that up to 1280x1440 per eye and 90 Hz or so, that's going to end up being pretty massive.

1280x1440 per eye seems like a massive amount of GPU power needed.

1280x1440 per eye seems like a massive amount of GPU power needed.

Exactly. Even the Dev kit 2 has about the same amount of pixels as a regular 1600p 30 inch monitor. 1280x1440 would require at least two 780ti cards.

Anyways, I just preordered mine. I am glad I waited until the Dev Kit 2. I'll decide before it ships if I want it or not. You can cancel the preorder up until then.

Last edited:
Exactly. Even the Dev kit 2 has about the same amount of pixels as a regular 1600p 30 inch monitor.
No, it has a single 1920x1080 display, which is 960x1080 per eye. 1280x1440 per eye would entail a 2560x1440 display.

No, it has a single 1920x1080 display, which is 960x1080 per eye. 1280x1440 per eye would entail a 2560x1440 display.

Ah, okay...makes sense. Not too bad, then, but you don't think 1080 is enough? I still game at 1080 and I don't see much reason to go higher. Does the display being so much closer to your eye make it seem less pixel-dense or something?

Does the display being so much closer to your eye make it seem less pixel-dense or something?
Yea, just put your face 6 inches away from the screen to get an idea what the issue is. Even at 1080p per eye, there can still be annoying aliasing and a jump to 4k per eye would make a big difference in clarity. At what point does the resolution be "enough" is up to debate, but it might easily be beyond 16k per eye

Yea, just put your face 6 inches away from the screen to get an idea what the issue is. Even at 1080p per eye, there can still be annoying aliasing and a jump to 4k per eye would make a big difference in clarity. At what point does the resolution be "enough" is up to debate, but it might easily be beyond 16k per eye

Keep in mind, though, this is not a 20+ inch display 6 inches from your face, it's like a 7-inch screen, albeit much closer to your face than 6 inches. I mean, I can put my face really close to a cell phone screen and barely see aliasing, if any. But I imagine with the Rift you would have some sort of magnification going on so the screen looks bigger, so yeah...I can see there might be a problem.

Trying to resist getting this and wait for the consumer version, hopefully its coming out at the beginning of next year as they stated this is the final devkit

Keep in mind, though, this is not a 20+ inch display 6 inches from your face, it's like a 7-inch screen, albeit much closer to your face than 6 inches. I mean, I can put my face really close to a cell phone screen and barely see aliasing, if any. But I imagine with the Rift you would have some sort of magnification going on so the screen looks bigger, so yeah...I can see there might be a problem.

I have yet to use one but I imagine that would be the issue (the lenses).

From what I understand, because of the optics involved, you don't actually see pixels/images in your peripheral vision (which makes sense). There is only a small area in the center that you can see clearly just like your normal vision. It would be sort of cool if they developed a special screen for VR purposes that was relatively low resolution (like 1080p-1440p for rendering power purposes), but with variable PPI density. So in the center it would have a much much higher pixel density and radially it would decrease as it moves from the focal point/center. It would solve the problem of needing some crazy high resolution display while also keeping the rendering power to a minimum.

You can faintly resolve individual subpixels on the 720p DK1. Not just the pixels, but the individual RGB subpixels. The DK2 probably has a somewhat smaller screen, and the new optics may converge pixels toward the center more to mitigate the screen door effect, but 1080p still isn't going to reduce pixelation to the extent that you'd want it to. The hands-on reactions from the Crystal Cove prototype suggested as much.

Having a 2.5k display in it would be pretty excellent though, I'd think.

I will probably order one of these before July. I really want to check it out and the price doesn't seem bad.

It would cost me about $500. Pass :(

We're always fucked, while americans pay peanuts for electronics.

Probably because it was invented here. In fact their HQ is five minutes from me :)

So, get some of your countrymen together and invent some things.

I had been wanting one of thse since release and didnt have the cash to do the kick starter. Later on I seen I could get them on eBay but still held off as I am really picky on image quality and the original display in these would have drove me nuts, but it still haunted me... that little voice saying buuuuyyyy eeeeettttt.

So yesterday when the pre-orders went live and I knew it was the 1080p OLED display I said screw it and purchased one :D

I agree with many here though... I think we are going to need and or see a 2560x1440 display in the final retail model, it needs to be there or greater to really take away the screen door and other IQ problems. The only issue is though they need to keep the OLED thats in it now to get rid of smearing and choppy vid... I would imagine a 2560x1440 OLED would cost waaay too much.

I am concerned with it only being a 1920x1080 panel. Every time I have used side by side for 3D (about what the oculus rift is doing resolution wise) I really did not like the IQ at all compared to Frame sequential (one 1920x1080 frame after another), but since this is using a different method for delivering the 3D to your eyes it may not be so bad.

My speculation will be the final retail model will be around $499.99 minimum

I'm going to be doing a lot of research over the next few weeks to see how to do stuff on it and with it. I'm also excited to try it with 3D MKV movies! I need to really research though the best way to get either simulated 7.1 sound through headphones or whatever it is I will need to have the sound follow the video when moving my head around, I have a nice set of sennheiser headphones now to use... but almost never use them lol

from what i've read, it seems like the Avant glyph's display tech has fixed the screen door effect that is the primary issue for the Rift. earlier this year the common opinion was that the 720p display of the glyph was equal, if not slightly superior, to the 1080p of the Rift. The two companies have different market shares in mind, Rift being PC VR and Glyph being 3d personal media consumption. It sounds like Oculus would benefit from the tech Avant developed w/ TI but i doubt we'll see a partnership. Has anyone tried both pieces of tech?

I had been wanting one of thse since release and didnt have the cash to do the kick starter. Later on I seen I could get them on eBay but still held off as I am really picky on image quality and the original display in these would have drove me nuts, but it still haunted me... that little voice saying buuuuyyyy eeeeettttt.

So yesterday when the pre-orders went live and I knew it was the 1080p OLED display I said screw it and purchased one :D

I agree with many here though... I think we are going to need and or see a 2560x1440 display in the final retail model, it needs to be there or greater to really take away the screen door and other IQ problems. The only issue is though they need to keep the OLED thats in it now to get rid of smearing and choppy vid... I would imagine a 2560x1440 OLED would cost waaay too much.

I am concerned with it only being a 1920x1080 panel. Every time I have used side by side for 3D (about what the oculus rift is doing resolution wise) I really did not like the IQ at all compared to Frame sequential (one 1920x1080 frame after another), but since this is using a different method for delivering the 3D to your eyes it may not be so bad.

My speculation will be the final retail model will be around $499.99 minimum

I'm going to be doing a lot of research over the next few weeks to see how to do stuff on it and with it. I'm also excited to try it with 3D MKV movies! I need to really research though the best way to get either simulated 7.1 sound through headphones or whatever it is I will need to have the sound follow the video when moving my head around, I have a nice set of sennheiser headphones now to use... but almost never use them lol

I wouldn't expect the final retail version to be nearly 50% more expensive than the Dev Kit, that is ludicrous. They aren't selling the dev kits at a loss ya know. By all reports about the only thing that is looking to change between the DK2 and the consumer version is the display. They want a higher resolution and faster refresh for the consumer version. I slightly better display isn't going to cost 150$ more. For displays of this size you are probably looking at $25 tops increase in cost going to a higher resolution display. Remember these displays are primarily made for Smartphones where margins are tiny and the total BOM has to be around $200.

Additionally there are likely components in the DK2 that don't need to be in the final retail consumer version. The DK2 has a built in latency tester, that doesn't need to be there in the consumer version so some money can be saved by removing those components.

Overall I would expect the retail version to be $349 or even $299.

Ah, okay...makes sense. Not too bad, then, but you don't think 1080 is enough? I still game at 1080 and I don't see much reason to go higher. Does the display being so much closer to your eye make it seem less pixel-dense or something?
The screen is 1080, which means the resolution per eye is half that, or 960x1080. Effectively you're looking at a screen with half the resolution of 1080p, but it's even worse than that, because lots of the pixels are well off center so you only see them in the relatively blurry peripheral. Necessary for immersion, but not useful for picking out enemies.

I have DK1, and the resolution is a joke. I'm hoping DK2 will be more playable, but I agree with others in this thread that we really need a 1440p or 1600p minumum for it to look "right". Thankfully there are phones already out/coming out soon with even higher resolution than that, so we know the screens exist. That being said, even DK1 is an AMAZING experience the first time you put it on. It's simply like nothing else you've ever experienced.

It would be sort of cool if they developed a special screen for VR purposes that was relatively low resolution (like 1080p-1440p for rendering power purposes), but with variable PPI density. So in the center it would have a much much higher pixel density and radially it would decrease as it moves from the focal point/center.
This could be done in software to reduce the rendering difficulty I'd imagine. Use the full resolution physical screen but downscale further out from the center.

By all reports about the only thing that is looking to change between the DK2 and the consumer version is the display.
Palmer said literally zero components will be shared between DK2 and the consumer version.

I haven't been following the Rift... But if I bought this, could I just plug and play with my current games? Honestly - I just want a low-persistence, good quality display. I don't care about 3D. If I bought this for $350, would it work? This device would probably kill the need for any gaming monitor if it can do what I think it can out of the box...

No. There are ways of making existing games work with the Rift, by having the head tracker emulate the mouse and injecting code to produce stereo views, but these don't work well.

You can't play non-stereoscopic games with the Rift. The optics make that impossible.

No. There are ways of making existing games work with the Rift, by having the head tracker emulate the mouse and injecting code to produce stereo views, but these don't work well.

You can't play non-stereoscopic games with the Rift. The optics make that impossible.

Thank you. $350, I'll keep you for a while longer. ;)

interesting, so this won't be a replacement for a standard 2d pc monitor?

so i assume you can't just plug the rift into anything w/ an hdmi port for the video? i had hoped that you could connect it to a console just as a display, minus the head tracking.

Probably because it was invented here. In fact their HQ is five minutes from me :)

So, get some of your countrymen together and invent some things.

I don't like you.

interesting, so this won't be a replacement for a standard 2d pc monitor?

so i assume you can't just plug the rift into anything w/ an hdmi port for the video? i had hoped that you could connect it to a console just as a display, minus the head tracking.

well, I'm guessing that once this becomes the 'must have' tech, MS and Sony (IIRC, sony is already messing with it) will add support to the Xbone and PS4.

As for regular 2D, you can probably just use it as a plug and play monitor with some software. Because of the optics used in the headset, the GPU has to render the image distorted so it appears 'correct' to the person using it (instead of a fisheye effect). Without that distortion applied, the image would look warped using the headset. I'm sure it wont be long before someone builds a VR front end to windows (Which might be kind of a cool experience honestly lol)

There are already a few out there desktope is one sort of program to render the desktop.

Can not wait to get this and play some Euro Trucker.

"Roger that you sumbitch pile of monkey nuts. WHOO!"

cant wait to visit the PAX booth. if i like it i will buy them.

What are the odds of DK2 being compatible with the retail version/software?
I think it's safe to assume the development kits are being used for actual development for the final retail version, and everything will be compatible.

Are there reports of DK1 software not being compatible with DK2? Of course more advanced features (positional tracking, more display options) are to be expected...

What are the odds of DK2 being compatible with the retail version/software?
Pretty good. They might change how they're doing absolute positioning tracking for the consumer version, but that probably won't cause any compatibility problems.

I think it's safe to assume the development kits are being used for actual development for the final retail version, and everything will be compatible.

Are there reports of DK1 software not being compatible with DK2? Of course more advanced features (positional tracking, more display options) are to be expected...

Pretty good. They might change how they're doing absolute positioning tracking for the consumer version, but that probably won't cause any compatibility problems.

I'm so close to pulling the trigger lol.

Now that its been bought by Facebook, I am not interested at all now.

Back