Maybe it's a generational thing? I'm old school - loved the magic of FF1 and whatnot... It's a nice, familiar feeling with it.

I don’t think turn based RPGs are my thing.
Love Skyrim and games like that, can’t stand taking turns.
It is a system that is much more clever then just turn based. It allows you to stun or move back turns of enemies and those things can work for you and the way enemies weakness is you have to puzzle your way to maximum damage or stun and or other clever boost points usage.

Some tips on what to do with your xp/jp grinding:

So, I used the Greater Kingfisher method, but apparently the guides leave out an important detail.

http://www.shacknews.com/article/106063/how-to-gain-experience-quickly-in-octopath-traveler

The method itself is simple. Make your way to Grandport. It's a town on the peninsula. Just use Cyrus's ability to avoid enemy encounters, and a cleric ability to allow easy fleeing. Just run your way there and don't bother fighting any monsters.

Now, I differed from their guide.

H'aanit and Cyrus are required. The other two are optional (until later when you have a few level 30+ chars). But you need to be level 15 for this. You need a cleric (either H'aanit or Cyrus or Ophilia), and make the other two characters a scholar and a hunter for their secondary job.

Leave town to the west. Your first fight will be against two Greater Kingfishers.

Your hunters will use Arrow Storm. The few guides I've found suggest warriors for Thousand Spears, but I found it doesn't hit often, and only attacks one. Arrow Storm will at minimum get two hits on both enemies, hence why you need two hunters. On their stun the next round, boost your scholars and just use a double spell. Repeat ad nauseum until you win. (Use the cleric for healing when damaged, or to revive characters). From level 15 to about 25, you'll gain a level per fight. And the fight becomes much easier once you hit level 25. Now, you can level up to 35 very easily.

Here's what the guide leaves out.

Make your way to the save point to the west of town, but in that zone. Save. After the Greater Kingfisher battle, return to the title, and load the game. The first battle you get into will always be a 2x Greater Kingfisher battle. This shaves off a ton of time having to run away from battles (which may or may not work) between the Greater Kingfisher battle. All told, it took me about an hour to raise all 8 of my characters from 13-15 to level 35.

Went ahead and picked up Wayfarer's edition (I am a sucker for limited editions...)

Didn't seem terribly hard to get though, the base and the special are still in stock on Amazon.

I am really enjoying this game, but it's definitely a pretty classical JRPG so if those games never appealed to you, this one sure as hell won't. The only real complaint I have is that the way the 8 stories tie together feels super lame. Basically each new party member just throws out a couple lines like "Oh, you're here? I guess we could team up and work together. Hurrah!" I don't dwell on it though, I just try to focus on each individual's story rather than as a huge overarching plot. I mean that's literally in the game's title after all.

I am really enjoying this game, but it's definitely a pretty classical JRPG so if those games never appealed to you, this one sure as hell won't. The only real complaint I have is that the way the 8 stories tie together feels super lame. Basically each new party member just throws out a couple lines like "Oh, you're here? I guess we could team up and work together. Hurrah!" I don't dwell on it though, I just try to focus on each individual's story rather than as a huge overarching plot. I mean that's literally in the game's title after all.

I viewed it similar to the Saga series. A bunch of small individual stories which really don't tie in together.

I viewed it similar to the Saga series. A bunch of small individual stories which really don't tie in together.

Yeah, that's how I'm viewing it as well. Also, it has to be said that the soundtrack in Octopath is phenomenal. Some of the best game music I've heard in a while.

This a job points farming video by Jawline Kun

Seems pretty good does require you to have Haanit chapter 4 done.

Have to give credit where credit is due. Some of the later fights require a bit of tactics, compared to most JRPGs, where you can just spam away.

I managed to die to Ophelia's Chapter IV boss. He ends up locking all multiple target spells (thus no healing via anything but items) until you stun him, and you can't stun him until you beat his adds. My first attempts, I went for mostly magic users. And to make matters worse, near the end of the fight, he has spells which can stun you for multiple rounds, and other multitarget spells which do 1500+ damage. I was doing well my second attempt, until he stunned me, then proceeded to cast 2 of those before I got unstunned, all while being in a state I couldn't cast heal.

Finally defeated this, including the true final boss.

If you don't look up anything, you'll probably die on the final boss at least once. He tends to require a bit more of a specific group setup than other bosses.

Overall, I liked the fact that the game required a bit more strategy than other JRPGs.

Things I found lacking were the lack of a bestiary, and that you needed Therion in your group for practically every dungeon. I didn't even bother with Olberic until the final few battles.

Finally defeated this, including the true final boss.

If you don't look up anything, you'll probably die on the final boss at least once. He tends to require a bit more of a specific group setup than other bosses.

Overall, I liked the fact that the game required a bit more strategy than other JRPGs.

Things I found lacking were the lack of a bestiary, and that you needed Therion in your group for practically every dungeon. I didn't even bother with Olberic until the final few battles.
I died on the final boss cause I really only used the same 4 characters the entire game lol. Only time I swapped out was for the story chapters. Had 4 people in the 70s and the other 4 in the lower 30s. I haven't tried again since cause of the stupid refights.

I died on the final boss cause I really only used the same 4 characters the entire game lol. Only time I swapped out was for the story chapters. Had 4 people in the 70s and the other 4 in the lower 30s. I haven't tried again since cause of the stupid refights.

Tressa Runelord 2 round beat down all you need is 3 BP and sometimes a little help from others but a cakewalk never the less.

Requires a few items but they are not that hard to get.

Just beat the game it was pretty hard that 1st final boss phase , had less problems with the second even if the 2nd team lacked a heavy hitter.

Back