OCing the 3000+ Article Discussion

Dark_Seph said:
With the beta 15 bios, if your 1.0 version of the Kv8 Pro does not support AGP/PCI lock are you SOL? Or do the bios still work?

Also does any one have a link the the beta 15 bios

Thank you in advance

From what i have read, if you havea 1.0 and the new 15 BIOS.... then it will not work... and yes your SOL...well see if there are any newer BIOS files that have working PCI locks on the v1.0 boards...

As far as overclocking, I was suggested the EPoX board but then I read this review at newegg:

"The board has some o/cing options. vDIMM only goes to 2.8, and vCore to 1.7, so you can't do insane overclocks, but that's not what I'm looking to do. It allowed me to o/c to 2.2Ghz just fine, works stable, and the onboard gigabit Ethernet is great."

Is there another motherboard that would be better for overclocking? Or would the EPoX do significantly? I plan on OC'ing an A64 3200+ as heavily as I can.

I dont get it I have an msi k8n neo plat. edition and an athlon 64 3200+ at idle with stock cooling the cpu is at 70'C is this even normal? I need some help please

heyyoem said:
I dont get it I have an msi k8n neo plat. edition and an athlon 64 3200+ at idle with stock cooling the cpu is at 70'C is this even normal? I need some help please

I think i have been hearing that the MSI baord is reading the CPU temp like 30c too high! With makes sence for you, as it would put you at 40c (seems normal) I know i skimmed across a few people sayign somethign like that....If i were you i would get my self a thermal probe stick it on the side of the cpu and forget software temps ever exisited... (spell check please)

Face Fantastic said:
As far as overclocking, I was suggested the EPoX board but then I read this review at newegg:

"The board has some o/cing options. vDIMM only goes to 2.8, and vCore to 1.7, so you can't do insane overclocks, but that's not what I'm looking to do. It allowed me to o/c to 2.2Ghz just fine, works stable, and the onboard gigabit Ethernet is great."

Is there another motherboard that would be better for overclocking? Or would the EPoX do significantly? I plan on OC'ing an A64 3200+ as heavily as I can.

well i have not got the experence with A64s yet (2 weeks i will) but the MSI Neo Plat. seems to be a good overclocker.

Im really very excited to get another MSI board, my first from them was a MSI Kt3 ultra, after a voltmod on the CPU core, and some Corsair PC 3200 i had it running a 210 FSB, with no PCI locks and only one PCI divider at 164MHz FSB...I still say it was my favorite board i ever used for a althlon XP...eversince then i have need on a Nforce2 platform, and there was allways soem problem. Im looking forward to useding another well built MSI board...cant say much for the rest of there boards...

I know that most people here won't go Socket 939 but in case someone does...here's the board to go with right now.

Gigabyte K8NSNXP-939

The Socket 754 version of this isnt bad either but the MSI K8N Neo Plat seems to be more proven.

EDIT: I based this mostly on how easy it is to v-mod. I don't remember which but either the Asus A8V or Abit AV8 requires replacing a resistor for a v-mod. That's something my soldering skills are not up to...

Ok I'm really worried, what is THE BEST motherboard for overclocking an A64? Price is not an issue.

What ever happened to the Abit kv8 Max3? That was always my second choice over the kv8 Pro. Is it not a good overclocker/performer?

Face Fantastic said:
Ok I'm really worried, what is THE BEST motherboard for overclocking an A64? Price is not an issue.

What ever happened to the Abit kv8 Max3? That was always my second choice over the kv8 Pro. Is it not a good overclocker/performer?

the MAX3 is not a KV8T800pro chipset (sux), its just a KV8T800 chipset....

To the best of my research the MSI seems to have the most people reporting good oveerclocking..

is it only the newcastle who is a good OCer?
What about the clawhammer?

I mean, when u order a a64 3000+, the store doesnt specify which model u will get... Feels like a freakin lottery :p

Or am I just all wrong with all of this thoughts? :p

thx 4 replys

(xscuse my english, im from sweden ;) )

Grrr, what I don't get is that VR-Zone got ~230fsb with a KV8 MAX3... and I can't seem to get past like 209 or so with mine (BIOS 22) ...

I mean, 230 to me looks like the PCI and AGP speeds are way too outta whack for the likes of me... maybe if it was a $30 mobo and $40 cpu, but no...

nforce2 spoiled me... :(

wow. just got my kv8 pro. I'm disappointed. I put it together last night, and got done at 3:30 this morning. I decided to get up and play with it after I got some sleep. first thing I notice about the board: the clear CMOS is behind the agp card. wonderful. then I try and power the beast up: I get an error beep from the case speaker.. not good.. at least it had the Uguru indicator LEDs. hmm. error .0.4 . what the heck.. check the Abit boards.. they think I need a better PSU. pull out a diff PSU, a 520 watter, same error. some people say reseat the ram. I do that. no go. decide to throw some crucial ddr266 in it, it boots. huh. 2 hours of experimenting later, I find out my corsair 3200 isn't seating properly, and I have to push it toward the CPU to boot normally. weak. now I read the 1.5 bios remove the PCI/AGP locks from 1.0 mobos. great. I have a 1.0 mobo. This is not cool. Kyle, whats the deal?

grekka said:
is it only the newcastle who is a good OCer?
What about the clawhammer?

I mean, when u order a a64 3000+, the store doesnt specify which model u will get... Feels like a freakin lottery :p

Or am I just all wrong with all of this thoughts? :p

thx 4 replys

(xscuse my english, im from sweden ;) )

1. your english is better than mine(spelling atleast) so dont feal bad :p

2. i know you live in sweden, so this wont directly help you, but newegg aperently posts a reg. number from the batch and posts it as the model number. so you can tell(curently the model number for 3000+ is -------AX----(-= numbers and letters, i just dont know it off the top of my head), so it is a CG core, as steppings w/ AX are cg revisions.

the_village_treky said:
1. your english is better than mine(spelling atleast) so dont feal bad :p

2. i know you live in sweden, so this wont directly help you, but newegg aperently posts a reg. number from the batch and posts it as the model number. so you can tell(curently the model number for 3000+ is -------AX----(-= numbers and letters, i just dont know it off the top of my head), so it is a CG core, as steppings w/ AX are cg revisions.

thx m8 =)

no prob. now if only new egg shiped intl. youd be set :p

anywhay. its still somewhat of a gamble, as you could receive a chip left over from a previos batch.

ps. arnt all new chips CG revisions?

last night i found some time so i sat down in my Comp chair and went to the BIOS!

My final setting was 255FSB x 3Ltd = 765 HTT, with a 10 multiplyer. Giving me 2.55Ghz, seemes stabel, its running a BF Vietnam server right now and Prime in the background. well see if it stabel.

I(illa Bee said:
last night i found some time so i sat down in my Comp chair and went to the BIOS!

My final setting was 255FSB x 3Ltd = 765 HTT, with a 10 multiplyer. Giving me 2.55Ghz, seemes stabel, its running a BF Vietnam server right now and Prime in the background. well see if it stabel.

What MB are you using? I too am distressed in deciding on what motherboard to use for the A64 on a 754pin, i know that i do want to have the ability of a nice overclock (final setup will be with watercooling), and i know i want to have the ability to lock the agp/pci down to their native speed to enhance stability.

Face Fantastic said:

A BIOS flash for 7/16 allows the MoBo to go up to 1.8v core. It also adds .05 voltages. The original only had .1 increments. I consistantly get the BIOS setting screen locked up when I set it to 240, even after a flash. Above that and it won't boot at all, allowing you to use Insert to bring it back to stock speeds. At 240, it's stable enough to load Windows, but I can't make any changes in the BIOS as it will always lock in about 1 second. Even I can't make a change and save it within a 1 second interval.

EDIT:

It seems the board greatly undervolts. 1.6 = 1.4, 1.8 = 1.6

Random Digits said:
What MB are you using? I too am distressed in deciding on what motherboard to use for the A64 on a 754pin, i know that i do want to have the ability of a nice overclock (final setup will be with watercooling), and i know i want to have the ability to lock the agp/pci down to their native speed to enhance stability.
It seems with a 754 MoBo, you try to choose the one that's the least bad instead of the best.

iZero said:
It seems with a 754 MoBo, you try to choose the one that's the least bad instead of the best.

That is unacceptable for me. If that truely is the case, i'll just have to stick with my xp2000 for a while longer.

the_village_treky said:
my k8n neo plat seems nice(only had it for a day and a half, but it's good so far :p)

Ya, so far the only 2 that have even grab'd my attention were the:
ABIT "KV8 Pro" - ver. 1.1 or better or the
MSI nForce3 250GB - minus the fact that it shows higher temps than actual (dunno it its been fixed yet).

Now at one time i did read all though this thread, but i don't recall really hearing anything about the k8n neo, any thoughts on this would be appreciated from the other readers.

Now my thoughs, i have never really been a very big fan of Via chipsets as i have had way to many problems with them in the past, albit to say that i have "heard" alot of good things about the abit board though. nForce on the 64 is kinda so-so from what i've seen. Like i stated in an earlier post, the things i do want is a:
-Lockable AGP/PCI
-Good overclockablility with water cooling as my final setup (i have most of the parts already)
-Does anyone know if any of the 754 boards do/will have dual channel ddr or not???

Any information on this post would be greatly appreciated, as i do not have all the time in the world to look all this information up, and anything you guys/gals could do to help narrow my search down would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers.

no 754 has dule channel.

both systems have the traits your looking at(though heat does not seem to be a limiting factor w/ a64's). the nf3 250 is much better than the fist gen nf3 bords, and easaly compeets w/ the k8t800's

Hey I've been wondering.

Are there any clawhammer 3000+? I'm pretty sure the answer is no, but there are doubts in my mind.

Don't feel like browsing 10 pages of threads.

the Epox 8kda3j is also a good NF3 250 mobo for only ~$100. I'm using one right now, and the only thing holding me back from an awesome overclock is my castrated clawhammer cpu. As it is, though, im still running my 3000+ at 2359mhz

Decelerate said:
Hey I've been wondering.

Are there any clawhammer 3000+? I'm pretty sure the answer is no, but there are doubts in my mind.

Don't feel like browsing 10 pages of threads.

I'm running a clawhammer A64 3000+ with CO stepping. I just hit 2.42 Ghz. Prime95 ran for 3 hours with no errors. 1.7Vcore, 2.8Vdimm, 4xHTT, @ x 10. memory 166 in bios @ 201.8Mhz.

I got the Chaintech VNF3-250 mo. It doesn't report temp correctly nor does it allow you to adjust multiplier but I ain't gonna Complain about 2.42Ghz I got water cooling so CPU temp is not a problem :)

I have pretty much the exact same rig as HARDocp built, but I am using a thermaltake venus 12 to cool my system. It is running very well actually and keeping my oc'ed temps at around 39 C idle and 46 C load. I was just hoping some other people could post what they are using to cool their systems.

Well, i'll post my 2 cents purely because people keep asking to see more 'diverse' systems, etc.

Newcastle AMD Athlon 64 3000+
ASUS K8V SE Deluxe

Video Card is an HIS Excalibur X800pro IceQII @ 547 | 571 (This overclocks VERY well, and gives me whopping fill rates, just with the iceq2 fan, let alone doing some fancy cooling tricks to it..!)

No extra cooling, PSU fan (Antec 480w TrueBlue), AMD Normal fan.

215fsb Comfortably, but i'm getting some very expensive Corsair XLLPro (1GB) so i have no reason to blame anything else in the box.

No locks, so i'd say thats about the limit right there.. hopefully a new bios, or even a board hack can get that lock working, maybe..? Who knows :)

they called the C0 3000 a clawhammer but in reality its specs were really newcastle (512 cache) so they were probably the clawhammers where not all the cache worked properly and was disabled.

Rob

fattyman666 said:
I was just hoping some other people could post what they are using to cool their systems.

I'm using DangerDen Maze 4 water block, heater core, res, set up. I running 1.7Vcore @38c idle pushing 49c load. Chaintech boards read high to me. The tubes don't "feel".anywhere near these temps. It say 38C but it feels closer to 30C. My old MSI board read 28C idle 34 load with same setup.

Robolf said:
they called the C0 3000 a clawhammer but in reality its specs were really newcastle (512 cache) so they were probably the clawhammers where not all the cache worked properly and was disabled.

Rob
also known as a "raped" clawhammer.....

Parsout said:
Well, i'll post my 2 cents purely because people keep asking to see more 'diverse' systems, etc.

Newcastle AMD Athlon 64 3000+
ASUS K8V SE Deluxe

Video Card is an HIS Excalibur X800pro IceQII @ 547 | 571 (This overclocks VERY well, and gives me whopping fill rates, just with the iceq2 fan, let alone doing some fancy cooling tricks to it..!)

No extra cooling, PSU fan (Antec 480w TrueBlue), AMD Normal fan.

215fsb Comfortably, but i'm getting some very expensive Corsair XLLPro (1GB) so i have no reason to blame anything else in the box.

No locks, so i'd say thats about the limit right there.. hopefully a new bios, or even a board hack can get that lock working, maybe..? Who knows :)

Be very careful with the timings, my system crashed windows at 215 with 2 2 2 5, I had to reformat.
Also, remember we are very limited due to no PCI/AGP lock. At this point I'm happy with 210*11 with the tight timings.

Bumrush said:
Be very careful with the timings, my system crashed windows at 215 with 2 2 2 5, I had to reformat.
Also, remember we are very limited due to no PCI/AGP lock. At this point I'm happy with 210*11 with the tight timings.
With my Newcastle i did fin i like it more with a 230HTT memory set to 200 (giving me 230Mhz) and tite timings..over setting my memory to 166 and upping the HTT beound that..

I know the chip is good for 2.4ish... so far...but 2.3 with my memory fast and tite seems faster...

lol you guys are hilarious

i'm getting a great oc on stock cooling and having no problems with my mobo at all. was perfect out of the box, and the best part is that it was only $80 :p

i can hit 250htt stable easily at 1.7v, but i don't have adequate cooling for that just yet :)

When the DFI S754 board based on the nForce3 250GB hits retail, it's going to be one awesome overclocking motherboard :) Around Christmas I'm going to grab me a S754 A64 3000+, DFI S754 mobo, and a nVidia 6800GT (counting on price drops).

I have also learned that if you take some sewing machine oil and put 1 drop on the bearings. To get at it you just have to peel back the sticker. What also adds to the sound is the vibration of the fan and the case. So make sure all the screws are nice and tight. I also use rubber washers to dampen the vibrations. Before my case sounded more like a jet (its still loud it helped a little). I found the best way to get rid of the noise was buy a good pair of noise cancelation headphones)

steal said:
lol you guys are hilarious

i'm getting a great oc on stock cooling and having no problems with my mobo at all. was perfect out of the box, and the best part is that it was only $80 :p

i can hit 250htt stable easily at 1.7v, but i don't have adequate cooling for that just yet :)

Well that luck of the draw, funny how that works. I wouldnt call 2.4 a great overclock, more like avarage, if were going to start bragging here. I would hold great for the 2.6Ghz guys, running 300FSB+ Guys.

So that chaintech board is working good for you i was thinking about getting one to upgrade my internet box to a64.

Face Fantastic said:
With a A64 3000+ oc'd to 2.4 ghz or higher, would an x800 xt bottleneck? I definately want an x800 xt but in that case, I'd be on a budget for a cpu; OC'ing the A64 3000+ seemed very attractive to me. Will this overclock prove to be nice for ultimate gaming?

Well I can tell you that my 6800GT scores 11,600's with my A64 at stock 2ghz...I run it up to a nice overclock at 2.5ghz and my 3DM2K3 scores only go up to a decent 12,200 range...so it would seem that indeed, my vid card is the bottleneck, since I can increase the core and ram speeds on it and get the same amount of gains as with the cpu overclock.

Overclocking my cpu nets me about a 10% increase in Doom3 speeds, and about 15% in Far Cry. Far Cry is cpu hungry it would seem...add in a 15% overclock to my vid card and I do get a very nice gaming speed increase, Far Cry needs everything it can get for online gaming...

I know this thread is getting fairly long in the tooth, but my VNF3-250 with the 7/29 BIOS runs 250x10 all day long with the HTT at 4x (1000). My 3000+ does 2.5ghz with only 1.55v set in the BIOS and a very modest silent watercooling setup that is really on par with high end air. But again I like the silent effect... ;)

Back