• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

OCing and Cooling newb

Alai

2[H]4U
Joined
Jul 19, 2008
Messages
2,701
How many fans/heatsinks do you think I would need, including CPU, GPU, case fans, etc. for the system in my signature? Also, which ones would you recommend? So far, for CPU fans, I am seeing an OCZ Vendetta 2 as desirable.

As for which case I am going to get... I don't know. I am going to post in the Case forums afterwards.

I am trying to figure out what fits in my budget right now.

For future developments, please consider that I am getting a second HD4850 and that I desire to OC my CPU and possibly my Motherboard bus speed (that's possible, right?).
 
The Vendetta 2 is a great choice for a CPU cooler. For video card cooling, the best option for a Crossfire HD4850 setup would be to get an Arctic Cooling Accelero S1 for each card. You may have to bend some of the fins to fit the Crossfire dongle through, but it isn't a problem. You can run them passively, although you might want to purchase the Turbo Modules for them, which are pairs of fans that attach to the heatsink(I believe they're around $8 on Newegg for each one).

As for the quantity of case fans, there's no way to really know that without first knowing what case you'll be using. Many cases come with fans already installed, so depending on what you get, you may not even need any extra fans. Once you've picked out a case, it'll be possible to give you a more definitive answer.
 
I think the best bang for your buck cpu cooler seems to be the Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro. Go to anandtech for more reviews.
 
The Vendetta 2 is actually slightly better than the HDT-S1283, so I would suggest sticking with it unless you really need to save a few bucks.

But the Xigmatek HSF should be easier to install due to the retention bracket.
 
Back
Top