• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

OCing a 2p/4p G34

jmossman

n00b
Joined
Jan 6, 2012
Messages
10
Hi guys, I've built a 2p g34 folding system that I want to OC, and I know if anyone has the answers it's you . I've seen several mentions and screenshots of OC's here on these forums and I suppose I took for granted it would be easier.

I'm running 2x 6174 on a Tyan S8230GM4NR and I only found memory timings options in the BIOS, so figured it must be done in software. That's when I found mention of along with screenshots of a program called PhenomMsiTweaker I believe it was called. Is this the right direction? Anything at all pointing me in the right direction would be very appreciated, thanks. Good lord how do you guys do a 50% OC on these chips???LOL
 
You should get in the IRC channel and ask as it's not as simple as OCing a regular i7 or AMD processor.


irc.dp.cx
#hardocp
 
Unfortunately, Tyan boards can't be overclocked. We have only been able to control the clockgen chip on SuperMicro boards. Even then, it is 12.5% max. Let's keep the rumors in check... :)
 
Last edited:
Unfortunately, Tyan boards can't be overclocked. We have only bee able to control the clockgen chip on SuperMicro boards. Even then, it is 12.5% max. Let's keep the rumors in check... :)

oops....I didn't notice the Tyan board :( my bad.
 
Actually I think what I might have gotten confused about was the "ES" chips, I guess that's engineering samples? This is my first plunge into server equipment and I had always thought OCing servers in general was uncommon to begin with. Well I appreciate your clearing that up guys, thanks.
 
Actually I think what I might have gotten confused about was the "ES" chips, I guess that's engineering samples? This is my first plunge into server equipment and I had always thought OCing servers in general was uncommon to begin with. Well I appreciate your clearing that up guys, thanks.

Yes, we have seen ES chips OC to 50%, because they have unlocked multipliers. The supermicro boards only allow for a 12.5% overclock at this time. I dont have any personal experience with the overclocking procedure, but it is fairly involved and a guide wont help.
 
If it's anything like how I OC'ed my dual Socket F, I imagine it involves manually setting the clockgen speeds using RW-Everything.
 
If it's anything like how I OC'ed my dual Socket F, I imagine it involves manually setting the clockgen speeds using RW-Everything.

Sounds similar, it probably has quite a bit of similarities to G34. Speaking of socket F, have any words of wisdom for a folder currently running socket F? :p
 
Sounds similar, it probably has quite a bit of similarities to G34. Speaking of socket F, have any words of wisdom for a folder currently running socket F? :p

I see your 8P Tyan board also uses a Nvidia chipset, which is good news since AFAIK that's the only Socket F chipset that is overclockable. I used this guide here to go from 1800 MHz to 2080 MHz, which is a respectable 15% overclock, I suppose.
 
I see your 8P Tyan board also uses a Nvidia chipset, which is good news since AFAIK that's the only Socket F chipset that is overclockable. I used this guide here to go from 1800 MHz to 2080 MHz, which is a respectable 15% overclock, I suppose.

Nothing good can come from this...
 
I see your 8P Tyan board also uses a Nvidia chipset, which is good news since AFAIK that's the only Socket F chipset that is overclockable. I used this guide here to go from 1800 MHz to 2080 MHz, which is a respectable 15% overclock, I suppose.

Oh man, you are making me smile Bwang! I will look into it. 15% is not bad at all! If the system can handle it, that would be 2.76 Ghz... oh my!
 
Nothing good can come from this....

[H] battle cry...
 
Crap.... If you set things in Windozes, would the settings be preserved across a soft boot?

not for bus....for nb yes... if it's i2c can be accessed we can overclock it from linux... just not pretty...
 
Back
Top