oblivion question

in1ine5k/\t3r

Limp Gawd
Could someone explane to me the concept of "soul trapping"?? I've got a ton of soul gems of all different levels, but they are all empty. I would love to know how to fill them up.

thanks

in1ine5k/\t3r said:
Could someone explane to me the concept of "soul trapping"?? I've got a ton of soul gems of all different levels, but they are all empty. I would love to know how to fill them up.

thanks

Make a soul trap spell that lasts for like 20-30sec or if you have the Umbra sword (enchanted sword w/120 sec soul trap) use it. Use a soul trap spell or umbra sword on an enemy and then kill em, the enemies soul will be trapped into the soul gem (assuming you have a soul gem that is equal or greater than the enemy’s soul level). Once you have a soul gem with a soul in it, you can use it to recharge or create enchanted weapons, armor, etc.

As he said, just cast a soul trap spell and then kill it. But make sure you don't soul trap a wolf or something into a high ranking soul gem. Plus, humans can only be trapped into a black soul gem.

Gems hold souls, the larger the gem the higher quality soul it can hold.

To trap an enemy's soul in a gem, you have to kill the enemy whilst the soul trap spell is active on it. So cast soul trap on the enemy, then kill it before it wears off, and its soul will go into a gem in your inventory.
The soul will automaticaly go into the smallest quality gem in your inventory which can hold it.

The best way to do this is with the Umbra sword. South west of Imperial city (follow the road south from Weye, should be the 3rd or 4th dungeon you come across), are the ruins named VinDasel. Umbra is inside it. Kill her, and you will get the Umbra sword (and Umbra's Ebony set). Every time you hit an enemy with that sword it casts soul trap on them.

If you are low level Umbra may be hard to kill, but there are tricks to kill her at any level. If you are low level, you can
(1) Hit umbra (preferably from far like with an arrow) to initiate combat.
(2) *Immediately* after you init combat summon a creature (like a skeleton, can get a cheap summon skeleton scroll in a city shop) (this glitches the 'initiate' unto the skeleton)
(3) Run outside the dungeon with her chasing you, jump on your horse, and run back to the city (make sure shes still chasing you)
(4) Enter the city, let her hit you once, then the guards will kill her cause of the summon skeleton glitch which will make them think she initiated combat. Then loot her.

You cannot trap human souls in normal gems, you need black soul gems for that (which are rare).

Drexion said:
If you are low level Umbra may be hard to kill, but there are tricks to kill her at any level. If you are low level, you can
(1) Hit umbra (preferably from far like with an arrow) to initiate combat.
(2) *Immediately* after you init combat summon a creature (like a skeleton, can get a cheap summon skeleton scroll in a city shop) (this glitches the 'initiate' unto the skeleton)
(3) Run outside the dungeon with her chasing you, jump on your horse, and run back to the city (make sure shes still chasing you)
(4) Enter the city, let her hit you once, then the guards will kill her cause of the summon skeleton glitch which will make them think she initiated combat. Then loot her.

hmm, i jsut popped her with arrows from a ledge

also thats part of a shrine quest so you may want to start that first, might not be able to do it other wise

It doesnt break the shrine quest, you can even tell the guy 'I refuse to give you the sword' and the quest will be completed successfully, and you get to keep Umbra.

What I would do is never tell him anything once you get the sword. Quest items= lightweight, and Umbra= fawking heavy.

Rofl-Mic-Lofl said:
What I would do is never tell him anything once you get the sword. Quest items= lightweight, and Umbra= fawking heavy.

Umbra weighs nothing until that quest is completed. I have the Sword and haven't found the shrine quest. You get a message in your log telling you to return it to whoever still though.

SPOILER

One bit to add. The Azura's Star is the ultimate soul gem. DON'T give it up in the main quest. You can just get another Daedric artifact to give up, which I strongly suggest. Azura's Star when you're closing Oblivion Gates and trapping creatures in them, is the best tool. Nothing like recharging your magical weapons when you're in a bind.

ok ok ok, thank you all. I understand how to do it now. And I do actually have a Black Soul Gem, I got it by completing a task for the Arcane University

first I will get that sword and then its off to trap souls :)

Back