Oblivion PC performance

Stereophile said:
Why don't X360 games use AF ?

I don't know but I hardly care about textures anyways, although I usually turn it on it games because it doesn't make any noticable performance decrease.

sculelos said:
I don't know but I hardly care about textures anyways, although I usually turn it on it games because it doesn't make any noticable performance decrease.

This is true, I personally have no idea why the Xbox360 doesn't make use of AF, shouldn't have anything to do with the fact that you're gaming (typically) on a TV, as it works fine if your PC is hooked up to a TV...whatever.

The thing is (for me at least) is that in a lot of games I don't even end up noticing the difference that AF makes, as most games I play are too fast paced to allow me to actually appreciate it. Oblivion is one title that I can see using it for sure though, as there seem to be many instances where you're able to see a great deal off into the distance (depending on your video settings of course) and the game isn't so fast paced that it would go un-noticed.

This thread makes me sad...

I'm planning on using this hardware to run the game:

2.4C ghz (800mhz fsb)
Audigy Gamer
512 ddr 3200 (i can upgrade that to a gig)
and a 9800 non-pro

realistically, what kind of performance am i looking at?

i really want to play this game, ive been waiting ever since i beat morrowind.

i plan on running @1024x768 for sure because i have a shitty monitor. am im going to be able to run at this with 0xAA and 0xAF. no bloom or hdr. and medium to low settings?

thanks

mtbaird said:
This thread makes me sad...

I'm planning on using this hardware to run the game:

2.4C ghz (800mhz fsb)
Audigy Gamer
512 ddr 3200 (i can upgrade that to a gig)
and a 9800 non-pro

realistically, what kind of performance am i looking at?

i really want to play this game, ive been waiting ever since i beat morrowind.

i plan on running @1024x768 for sure because i have a shitty monitor. am im going to be able to run at this with 0xAA and 0xAF. no bloom or hdr. and medium to low settings?

thanks

You should be able to play it on the mentioned settings (I'm assuming) but it wouldn't hurt to bump your memory up to 1GB. Other than that, sorry you're being let down, but it's a nextgen/advanced game and a very nice engine (visually)...so it's fairly realistic to assume that you'd need a fairly recent system, or at least a video card fully DX9 capable.

gurgle said:
can someone point me in the direction of some 7900gt .ini tweaks?

thanks.

I would just open the ini file in your my documents folder or whatever then change the grass density to like 150, and blooddecal time limit to 1200 and decal frame limit to 500, thats what I did and it runs fine, 30+FPS everywhere with everything maxed at 1280x960. (except for self shadowing)

fDecalLifetime=1200.0000
iMaxDecalsPerFrame=500
iMinGrassSize=150
fGrassEndDistance=8000.0000
fGrassStartFadeDistance=7000.0000

Those are the tweaks I made to the ini and it runs wonderfull now.

Playing @ 1024x768 w/HDR, full textures, 1 shadow at a time, and full settings otherwise.

It's playable, stays around the 24fps area with a few drops.

However, when characters come onscreen (read: guards) there's a very noticeable drop because of their detailed armor I'm guessing.

Here's my current rig.
2800+ A64
X1600Pro 256
512 RAM

My X2 3800+ and ASUS A8N32-SLI Deluxe just arrived today. There is a package at the post office. I think it's Oblivion. Still waiting for the 7900GT though. I'm planning to cannibalize 1GB or Corsair Value RAM and an old Maxtor ATA 133 HD out of my old system for the time being. Hope it works ok.

sculelos said:
I would just open the ini file in your my documents folder or whatever then change the grass density to like 150, and blooddecal time limit to 1200 and decal frame limit to 500, thats what I did and it runs fine, 30+FPS everywhere with everything maxed at 1280x960. (except for self shadowing)

fDecalLifetime=1200.0000
iMaxDecalsPerFrame=500
iMinGrassSize=150
fGrassEndDistance=8000.0000
fGrassStartFadeDistance=7000.0000

Those are the tweaks I made to the ini and it runs wonderfull now.

Some nice tweaks all around...nice to hear people are coming through with a number of different things to improve performance.

I can't wait until I can actually PLAY the damn thing. The radeon 9500 series is supported, but my "oh so wonderfull" 9250 isnt, so even with everything turned off/down I get that solid white screen when doing anything. Sucks, but oh well, I'll have to wait I guess.

You think you're having issues getting it to run smooth?
I'll bet I have the weakest rig in this thread:

P4 1.6a
768 megs pc2700
radeon 9500 pro
onboard sound

It detected my rig as ultra low. 640 x 480

I am still playing with the INI to get (sort of) acceptable settings.
800x600 medium textures with mostly low(est) settings. 20 fps average
Not a lot of eye candy, but it is playable and I really like this game.

Yeah, it's upgrade time.... :rolleyes:

chillywilly007 said:
You think you're having issues getting it to run smooth?
I'll bet I have the weakest rig in this thread:

P4 1.6a
768 megs pc2700
radeon 9500 pro
onboard sound

It detected my rig as ultra low. 640 x 480

I am still playing with the INI to get (sort of) acceptable settings.
800x600 medium textures with mostly low(est) settings. 20 fps average
Not a lot of eye candy, but it is playable and I really like this game.

Yeah, it's upgrade time.... :rolleyes:

Hey, at least you got it running and you're enjoying it...that's what's important. :)

cornelious0_0 said:
You should be able to play it on the mentioned settings (I'm assuming) but it wouldn't hurt to bump your memory up to 1GB. Other than that, sorry you're being let down, but it's a nextgen/advanced game and a very nice engine (visually)...so it's fairly realistic to assume that you'd need a fairly recent system, or at least a video card fully DX9 capable.

i know, i shouldnt expect super good performace. i havent used my home PC to game in a year cause ive been at college and only use my laptop. thanks for the response

mtbaird said:
i know, i shouldnt expect super good performace. i havent used my home PC to game in a year cause ive been at college and only use my laptop. thanks for the response

No problem...i'm dying to play the game myself, so I'll be hanging around this thread for awhile...hopefully I can lend a hand without owning the game and make some people happy.

Have fun with the game regardless, you're still a step or two ahead of me. :p

So I just installed my Leadtek 7900GT and I am getting crap framerates at medium settings. It's kinda weird. I have tried installing the latest release drivers, I tried installing the beta drivers, and I tried even installing the drivers taht came with the CD. I cannot get this game to run at decent speeds.

EDIT: I just looked and the core is at 119C. I don't know why this can be.
EDIT2: False alarm, There were a few wires preventing the fan from spinning.

Framerate said:
So I just installed my Leadtek 7900GT and I am getting crap framerates at medium settings. It's kinda weird. I have tried installing the latest release drivers, I tried installing the beta drivers, and I tried even installing the drivers taht came with the CD. I cannot get this game to run at decent speeds.

EDIT: I just looked and the core is at 119C. I don't know why this can be.
EDIT2: False alarm, There were a few wires preventing the fan from spinning.

So, is it running better with the core temp down? If not, what CPU are you using? If you're not using the 84.25 drivers, you should dl and install them, as they make a difference with this game... ;)

wtburnette said:
So, is it running better with the core temp down? If not, what CPU are you using? If you're not using the 84.25 drivers, you should dl and install them, as they make a difference with this game... ;)

At those temps I'm guessing the card was throttling pretty hard...not logical that he'd be getting sub-par framerates with that card...unless the rest of the system is about as budget as possible. :p

Just got the game yesterday so bear with me:

7800GS Super O/C EVGA
2G low lat memory
3.2EE
P4P

Ultra High, with everything turned on and HDR on, AA off at 16x12 = smooth

I'm walking my way to town and never a hiccup except when its loading something. (I really need to get a raptor on my 2nd rig!)

So how do you turn on the FPS meter? That way I could give some actual #'s. I told you I just got it yesterday so was more learning how to move and fight and block and...

Sunin said:
Just got the game yesterday so bear with me:

7800GS Super O/C EVGA
2G low lat memory
3.2EE
P4P

Ultra High, with everything turned on and HDR on, AA off at 16x12 = smooth

I'm walking my way to town and never a hiccup except when its loading something. (I really need to get a raptor on my 2nd rig!)

So how do you turn on the FPS meter? That way I could give some actual #'s. I told you I just got it yesterday so was more learning how to move and fight and block and...

Nice to see some guys in the Intel boat getting nice numbers out of this game also...and with the 7800GS to boot. Search google for FRAPS...download...install...and there's your fps counter. :p

wtburnette said:

Yes, it is running much better now. I had coolbits set to downclock it at 130C, so I would imagine that was what was causing the slowdown. I have the current release drivers installed, but I am going to install the beta release drivers later. Like you said, they will probably make the difference with this game.

cornelious0_0 said:
Nice to see some guys in the Intel boat getting nice numbers out of this game also...and with the 7800GS to boot. Search google for FRAPS...download...install...and there's your fps counter. :p

Bah nothing in game? I know in COD2 it was just adding a few console lines in. Ok I'll get fraps. I've heard of that before anyways.

Sunin said:
Bah nothing in game? I know in COD2 it was just adding a few console lines in. Ok I'll get fraps. I've heard of that before anyways.

Couldn't tell ya if there's anything ingame or not...haven't had a chance to play it. It's frustrating having it installed but not being able to play it. :p

tilde (~) to bring up the console in-game, then type "tdt" to display framerate and some other info. FRAPS causes minor visual artifacts in the game for me.

Also, if you want a fat framerate boost in wilderness areas, you can try the console command "tg" which removes all grass. In heavily grassy areas, this gives me 100-125% framerate boost. Obviously it won't be as effective in towns, caves, or around areas with little grass like beaches.

Of course with this trick you don't get all the pretty grass waving in the wind, but it's also a lot easier to see where you're going, what you're fighting, and what's around to be harvested for alchemy. I personally don't think it looks all that bad, especially since there are still so many trees, bushes, and flowers, and the normal grass ground texture looks pretty damn good by itself.

Sabrewulf165 said:
tilde (~) to bring up the console in-game, then type "tdt" to display framerate and some other info. FRAPS causes minor visual artifacts in the game for me.

Also, if you want a fat framerate boost in wilderness areas, you can try the console command "tg" which removes all grass. In heavily grassy areas, this gives me 100-125% framerate boost. Obviously it won't be as effective in towns, caves, or around areas with little grass like beaches.

Of course with this trick you don't get all the pretty grass waving in the wind, but it's also a lot easier to see where you're going, what you're fighting, and what's around to be harvested for alchemy. I personally don't think it looks all that bad, especially since there are still so many trees, bushes, and flowers, and the normal grass ground texture looks pretty damn good by itself.

Very good to know...all around. Can't say I'd want to remove the grass completely, but I didn't know that there was an fps counter built into the game. Thx bro.

Update*

I was forced (due to other reasons) to have to format and reinstall Windows. After doing so.. I installed OB again and WOW. I actually turned settings UP from default and I'm running at ~60fps indoors and 40-52 outside.

Such a huge impact, and now I am excited to start playing all over again!

1024x768, Textures Huge, sliders between halfway and lowest (grass is down completely), Long distance viewage thing on, overall pretty low settings. indoors I get a solid 30-40 FPS, while outside it goes down to 23 at the lowest it seems.

2500XP (stock)
2GB RAM
9800Pro 128mb

Nuzzles said:
1024x768, Textures Huge, sliders between halfway and lowest (grass is down completely), Long distance viewage thing on, overall pretty low settings. indoors I get a solid 30-40 FPS, while outside it goes down to 23 at the lowest it seems.

2500XP (stock)
2GB RAM
9800Pro 128mb

Good to know, this isn't really a fast paced game anyways...and IMO as long as you're consistently above 24fps you're doing fine. Sure it's better/nicer to have 60+fps even in a game like Oblivion, but you can make do with 24fps FAR easier than in a title like Unreal2k4 or Doom. :)

Finally got Fraps and ran it for 30 minutes.

My FPS stayed 22-32 fps

7800gs super CO from EVGA
3.2EE
2gig low lat memory

16x12 ultra high settings everything turned on HDR etc. So that's the worst I'll be seeing. And honestly its smooth at those setting only time I get a stumble is if it is loading something from the HD. I smell a Raptor 150 in my future anyways. Drop the game on the new Raptor and run the windows op off my 60gig.

I'm pretty happy considering I don't have the top end equipment and I'm trying to hold out until 2007 for the next set of tech 45nm which I'm on 90nm now. Wee once Quad and Octal processing or more comes to light. By then MS should have its new flagship released and will make for an excellent combo. Hell maybe by then we will see the next gen of DDR.

I didn't even know there was a "huge" selection for the textures... what do you need to activate it? 2gb of ram?

I dont think RAM would "activate" anything. Wouldn't the options rely on the IQ of the graphics card?

Running on 2.6GHz Venice + ClawHammer rigs, both with 1.5GB RAM and a X1900XT @ default speeds. 1280x1024, full everything (HDR, no AA). Sufficiently smooth for a game of this type :)

Colonel Sanders said:
I didn't even know there was a "huge" selection for the textures... what do you need to activate it? 2gb of ram?

I'd also like to know where people are coming up with this "huge" moniker, as I have 2 gigs of RAM and a 512MB 7900GTX, and the highest texture option I can choose is "large"

Sunin said:
Finally got Fraps and ran it for 30 minutes.

My FPS stayed 22-32 fps

7800gs super CO from EVGA
3.2EE
2gig low lat memory

16x12 ultra high settings everything turned on HDR etc. So that's the worst I'll be seeing. And honestly its smooth at those setting only time I get a stumble is if it is loading something from the HD. I smell a Raptor 150 in my future anyways. Drop the game on the new Raptor and run the windows op off my 60gig.

I'm pretty happy considering I don't have the top end equipment and I'm trying to hold out until 2007 for the next set of tech 45nm which I'm on 90nm now. Wee once Quad and Octal processing or more comes to light. By then MS should have its new flagship released and will make for an excellent combo. Hell maybe by then we will see the next gen of DDR.

VERY nice to see those kind of numbers at that resolution/detail with the 7800GS, as I'd be looking at a similar rig in the not too distant future...and it's stuff like this that I like to see. :cool:

Is it possible to run Oblivion at 1440x900? I tried to manually change it to that resolution in Oblivion's config file, but it wouldn't load up at all.

1600x900 (or 1050, depending on my mood....), everything maxed, 16xAF, HDR....... runs nicely. Outside the frames take a hit, but not enough to mess with gameplay, battles, ect. Inside, its obviously perfect. Loving the game.

It'd be nice if people would actually say what kind of frame rate they're getting in what kind of area, rather than than saying it's running great, because great is a very relative term.

cornelious0_0 said:
VERY nice to see those kind of numbers at that resolution/detail with the 7800GS, as I'd be looking at a similar rig in the not too distant future...and it's stuff like this that I like to see. :cool:

I'd take those numbers with a grain of salt. Unless he's playing with some sort of grass tweak or just never battles outdoors, I guarantee he's not staying above 20 fps at ALL times at 16x12 on that system. First thing I do when I'm fighting in a grassy area is drop the console and toggle grass off. It's just too slow otherwise, and I'm only playing 1440x900 (1.3 Megapixels vs the 1.9MP he's claiming)

X2 @ 2.4 ghz, 7900 GTX, 2x1 GB DDR400

Yes I've tried all the tweaks, no my system isn't borked, yes I know what I'm doing.

I cant understand how you guys are a x1900xtx are able to max all the settings, mine sure cant handle it @ 1680x1050. Gotta run no grass, no distant trees/buildings, 2xAA, 8xHQAF, bloom on. With those settings the game is very playable, looks okay, but isnt the best it could be.

Im running Windows 2000, could that be a poblem? Shouldn't be...

2 GIG Ram. 2.5 Ghz 754 AMD64. Running 250x10. X1900XTX running @ 690/800. 6.3 Modifed Drivers(ZeroPoint)

Back