• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Oblivion lag

Joined
Mar 30, 2006
Messages
15
P4 2.6 Ghz
512 MB Ram
x700 pro

The game starts okay and takes me into the menu no problem. After I watch the intro video after clicking "start new game" the character selection screen drops down to 1 fps. All my settings are low, no bloom, no hdr, non of the launcher boxes checked, 640x480, no aa, small textures, and the fps is always 1fps. After creating a character and whie in the cell the fps continues to be 1fps. I have the omega drivers based off of catalyst 6.3s and used driver cleaner pro during install. System plays Far Cry, HL2, Doom 3 fine. all drivers up to date.
what's going on? It feels like KOTOR a while back b4 the ATI pathes in Datoone where the game would slow down to 2 or 3 fps once you're outside.
 
I run Oblivion with my rig - AMD 64 3200+ @ 2.2GHz
512MB Mushkin @ 220MHz
MSI Nvidia 6600GT

I run at medium-high settings, with Bloom Lighting and I get an average 45FPS inside, 28FPS outside, 20FPS during combat. I know with more RAM that i will be able to play at higher settings, but with only 512mb i play just fine, I dont see why your system is having problems. The only time i really get stutter is when i enter a new are for the first time, and that only lasts for a few seconds.
 
There has to be something wrong, Your computer isnt quite up there with the recommended (lol), but there's no way it couldn't handle the character selection screen.
 
AnAngelsDeath said:
I run Oblivion with my rig - AMD 64 3200+ @ 2.2GHz
512MB Mushkin @ 220MHz
MSI Nvidia 6600GT

I run at medium-high settings, with Bloom Lighting and I get an average 45FPS inside, 28FPS outside, 20FPS during combat. I know with more RAM that i will be able to play at higher settings, but with only 512mb i play just fine, I dont see why your system is having problems. The only time i really get stutter is when i enter a new are for the first time, and that only lasts for a few seconds.

What resolution do you run the game at?
 
Some of these are probably going to sound stupid since i'm just thinking them up on a whim.

Try running the game imediately following a restart.
Close off all uneeded programs.
Defragment.
Reinstall.
Make sure you haven't got any settings forced in the ATI control panel or w/e you're using.

(no particular order)

I wish you good luck, as I'll be trying to run this game with a 9800Pro, 2500XP (that's dieing, I believe), then again, I have 2gig of RAM. Weee.
 
Nuzzles said:
Some of these are probably going to sound stupid since i'm just thinking them up on a whim.

Try running the game imediately following a restart.
Close off all uneeded programs.
Defragment.
Reinstall.
Make sure you haven't got any settings forced in the ATI control panel or w/e you're using.

(no particular order)

I wish you good luck, as I'll be trying to run this game with a 9800Pro, 2500XP (that's dieing, I believe), then again, I have 2gig of RAM. Weee.

So I defragged my HD the other day and apparently some of the oblivion files are fragmented and during analyzation the files that were fragmented were:

Voices2.bsa
Oblivion.esm
OblivionIntro.bik
Meshes.bsa
OblivionOutro.bik
Textures - Compressed.bsa

After I defraged my HD, it says that the following files were still fragmented and could not be fixed:

Voices1.bsa
Voices2.bsa
Textures - Compressed.bsa

Any clues as to what I can do to fix these files? This is after a second re-install, so the fragmentation might be on the install disc itself. I restarted the PC (started the game), closed all uneeded progs, and made sure the ATI panel wasn't forcing anything.
 
You can't have lag in a single player game, it's a term related to network connectivity... I do understand the problem you're describing though.


Did you uninstall your drivers completely and then reinstall them? Did you try both newer and older versions of the catalysts? I'm using 5.13s for my X800. Rename your oblivion.ini then try different settings from the launcher instead of the ingame options.


Also experiment with some bios settings.
 
Devnull said:
You can't have lag in a single player game, it's a term related to network connectivity... I do understand the problem you're describing though.


Did you uninstall your drivers completely and then reinstall them? Did you try both newer and older versions of the catalysts? I'm using 5.13s for my X800. Rename your oblivion.ini then try different settings from the launcher instead of the ingame options.


Also experiment with some bios settings.
Yeah my bad, I'm wasn't sure what to call it. I did completely uninstall and reinstall the drivers. I'm using omega drivers though, I guess I can give the old catalyst 5.13's a shot.
So basically rename oblivion.ini to something else and use launcher settings?
Also I tried looking in my bios, but there wasn't a lot of options to change, non that would directly affect my gfx card anyway.
 
blueflamedazn said:
Yeah my bad, I'm wasn't sure what to call it. I did completely uninstall and reinstall the drivers. I'm using omega drivers though, I guess I can give the old catalyst 5.13's a shot.
So basically rename oblivion.ini to something else and use launcher settings?
Also I tried looking in my bios, but there wasn't a lot of options to change, non that would directly affect my gfx card anyway.


Hmm, any luck with different drivers? I still have an AGP card so I wouldn't know what settings you'd expect to see for PCIE.
 
Devnull said:
Hmm, any luck with different drivers? I still have an AGP card so I wouldn't know what settings you'd expect to see for PCIE.

Nope, still crappy framerate @ character creation screen. My x700pro is AGP flavor and I don't know if that makes any difference. Other than that I've also tried everything else including fast-write options, smartgart, forcing textures to be performance rather than quality, etc. via the ati control panel. No luck.
 
blueflamedazn said:
Nope, still crappy framerate @ character creation screen. My x700pro is AGP flavor and I don't know if that makes any difference. Other than that I've also tried everything else including fast-write options, smartgart, forcing textures to be performance rather than quality, etc. via the ati control panel. No luck.


ahh well, make sure you've messed with all the settings related to AGP, just write down the originals... Did you try turning it down to AGP 4x, all the aperature settings? Assumed since you hadn't mentioned any of these settings you were on PCIE.
 
sounds like time for a mass system cleanup or reinstall of windows, uninstall norton/mcafee, as they are junk.. cleanup all that spyware and try again hehe
 
My rig consists of:
Pentium 630 (3.2GHz)
Intel D945GTPLKR
1 GB 533MHz DDR2
BFG GeForce 7800 GTX OC (won at the [H]ard OCP workshop at QuakeCon :D )
Seagate 80GB SATA II 3.0GB


I get a lot of lagging too. Innitially I thought video, but when I saw the HDD light constantly on, I figured it to be memory. I ran task manager while playing and sure enough my memory was down to about 20MB left. I plan to buy another gigabyte of memory. Thus pushing it to 2 GB and we'll see how that does.
As for system requirements, there is Minimum, Suggested and Optimum.

I wonder how well that $9900 Dell with quad-GF 7800 GTX would do?
 
Devnull said:
ahh well, make sure you've messed with all the settings related to AGP, just write down the originals... Did you try turning it down to AGP 4x, all the aperature settings? Assumed since you hadn't mentioned any of these settings you were on PCIE.

I think I've made a breakthrough. So I went into the taskmanager and randomly picked tasks to end and running Oblivion. After much trial and error, I discovered that if I ended one of the svchost.exe's (the one that takes up the most mem). I get to run Oblivion at 40-50 fps at the character creation screen and in the dugeon. However there is sound. I've essentially solved the problem I had @ the begining of the post, but also created another problem.
Interestingly, after svchost.exe was ended, the XP's theme reset itself temporarily to Classic Style and then back to default style.
Also when I 2x clicked the volume in the task tray I get:
"There are no active mixer devices available. To install mixer
devices, go to Control Panel, click Printer and Other Hardware, and "
then click Add Hardware. This program will now close.

Finally when I try to play a song in winamp i get:
"Bad DirectSound driver. Please install proper drivers of select
another device in configuration. Error code: 88780078"

So I'm guessing that some sound driver is causing the initial 1fps during the character creation screen because once its disabled, Oblivion runs fine graphically, but w/o music/sound.

My question now is how do I figure out what driver is corrupted and how do I fix it? Is there something wrong with directsound? I have the latest Realtek AC97 drivers and the latest distribution of DirectX (Feb distribution).
 
I am running oblivion quite well, but I guess it could possibly be a buggy sound driver. I'm using version 5.10.0.5650 for my realtek AC'97 audio, and have also found that the zer0point drivers based on the cat 6.3 drivers work very well for oblivion.
 
ending svchost will disable the sound, it is the devil, but you need it, svchost secretly takes up alot of ram while playing, and makes the game stutter like hell. i have 512ram x850pro agp athlon64 3200, oblivion still runs good for me on high detail but it seems that the unnesecery stuttering is in fact caused by svchost... 4 me neway.
to bad you couldnt set the svchost priority to low in the task manager.
 
does any one think my rig should be enough to play this game in max?
my rig:
amd athlon64 x2 4400+,
2 GB corsair xms ram which should be perfect with my
asus a8n32 sli deluxe motherbaord
western digital 10,000 rpm 80Gb HD
single BFG 7800 gtx 256mb OC.

i got all drivers updated to the latest (processor, bios, video, sound, chipset, etc)
i play on 1280x1024 (or 1280x768 but not much difference in fps)
i dont use self shadow, and shadow on grass is off
everything else is on max or high,HDR on and distant land on
and i get 35-40 fps inside but only 15-20 fps outside.
i used every possible good tweaks and coolbits (tested max frames renderred ahead from 3 - 0) but still not much or no difference in performance.

thinking of getting a 7900gtx but i fear it will just screw me over like what the 7900gtx series did to my 7800 gtx. (both almost same price!!! could you believe that?!?!)

i could get the best quality out of this game but at poor performance (at least outside). any tips or experiences who got this fixed?
 
djebrada said:
does any one think my rig should be enough to play this game in max?
my rig:
amd athlon64 x2 4400+,
2 GB corsair xms ram which should be perfect with my
asus a8n32 sli deluxe motherbaord
western digital 10,000 rpm 80Gb HD
single BFG 7800 gtx 256mb OC.

i got all drivers updated to the latest (processor, bios, video, sound, chipset, etc)
i play on 1280x1024 (or 1280x768 but not much difference in fps)
i dont use self shadow, and shadow on grass is off
everything else is on max or high,HDR on and distant land on
and i get 35-40 fps inside but only 15-20 fps outside.
i used every possible good tweaks and coolbits (tested max frames renderred ahead from 3 - 0) but still not much or no difference in performance.

thinking of getting a 7900gtx but i fear it will just screw me over like what the 7900gtx series did to my 7800 gtx. (both almost same price!!! could you believe that?!?!)

i could get the best quality out of this game but at poor performance (at least outside). any tips or experiences who got this fixed?

looks like you should be getting better frame rates, maybe once a patch is released this whole slowdown problem will be fixed (hopefully).
 
Apparently the ingame music was causing the retareded slowdown. I had to go into oblivion.ini and set bMusicEnabled to 0. The game is running fine w/o music (around 45fps outdoors @ low-medium settings @ 800x600). I guess we'll hafta wait for the patch to come out to fix this music problem. Apparently by ending svchost audio dlls are terminated and so that was why I could play.
 
giving up on this game a bit. sure its a pretty game but i guess i just stressed myself to play this game in full. the game is good don't get me wrong but on the scale of fun i cant say i play it as much as i play BF2 or LOTD BFME2. I tried playing it with distant lands off for smooth frame rate but the look just isnt my taste. Until that patch comes out and hopefully fixes the problem, i'll just put it on hold.


... but i'll try one more thing out before i give up
i'll reformat my pc, install xp, the drivers and oblivion only and see how that goes.
my pc slowed down after installing a lot of software. (i used to always be the first guy to join a newly loaded map in bf2, now im in between)
 
Back
Top