Oblivion Forever Run?

Moose777

2[H]4U
Yeah. Last night after I closed the Oblivion Gate at Cheydinhal my character is forever running. Now to walk I have to push the shift key as opposed to pushing it to run. Its f'n annoying. Has anyone else experienced this? Cuase let me tell you, it makes for dungeon crawling in sneak mode almost impossible because now I need 3 fingers to move cause I have to constantly hold down the shift key.

Nope. Caps Lock is off.

Dunno what is up with it. I tried changing the mapping and nothing. I still run indefinitely.

I had that happen to me once too. Just press the Caps lock again and it should cure your problem. (even though the capslock light is on)

Moose777 said:
Yeah. Last night after I closed the Oblivion Gate at Cheydinhal my character is forever running. Now to walk I have to push the shift key as opposed to pushing it to run. Its f'n annoying. Has anyone else experienced this? Cuase let me tell you, it makes for dungeon crawling in sneak mode almost impossible because now I need 3 fingers to move cause I have to constantly hold down the shift key.
lol fail

inZane said:
I had that happen to me once too. Just press the Caps lock again and it should cure your problem. (even though the capslock light is on)

same thing here

Khaydarin said:
you could just leave Caps Lock on...

That's actually what I did when I had the same problem. I had originally thought that I'd somehow enabled Sticky Keys (Windows feature) accidentally. I think restarting the game cleared the glitch.

Mind you, I run almost all of the time (aside from sneak mode), so it was actually odd to not use my pinky finger. :)

I always run when not in sneak mode, I even got a spare set of armor that gives me like +100 to speed :)

Same here, when not in sneak mode, I run. But when I'm in sneak mode I like to move slow and sneaky like.

I've tried turning caps lock on, off; I've tried restarting the game, restarting the computer. I still run. It sucks. I'll give it another try though see if that clears it up.

Um... caps lock toggles always run. Doesn't matter whether the light is on or off, it's just a toggle. Press it to always run, press it again to walk. Pretty simple...

Umm..I've done that. Read the previous posts. I've turned it on, turned it off. I continuously run regardless of whether or not caps lock is on or off. I run.

I'm going to try it again today and see if it actually works, but the past few times I've done it I get no change.

Raise your sneak and you'll never walk again
smile.gif

Ya know I got the message that the weight of my shoes won't affect my sneaking ability but its a lie. I still get spotted while walking softly. Even without shoes. Albeit its only for a moment but I still get spotted.

That's because your sneak is low. At a certain level, shoes stop mattering. Then the speed you're moving at stops mattering.

Is there someone I can go to in one of the cities to learn how to sneak better?

Cause I can only sneak for so long before I get impatient cause I'm not moving fast enough.

I think once you get to 75 in sneak it stops mattering, although my current guy only has a sneak level of 40, it going to be my 3rd char that completed the dark brotherhood and 2nd to complete the mainquest, then I'll complete everything else, hehe, and if I find someone is tough for me I can use adrenaline rush, although I havn't had to use it much.

Moose777 said:
Umm..I've done that. Read the previous posts. I've turned it on, turned it off. I continuously run regardless of whether or not caps lock is on or off. I run.

I'm going to try it again today and see if it actually works, but the past few times I've done it I get no change.
I just wanted to make it clear that it's a toggle and must be pressed in game. Whether it's on or off doesn't matter, it just changes when you press it in game.

My next question would be does shift still work? After that, have you tried starting a new game (or an older save, or whatever)? You need to check if it's the whole game that's messed up, or just the one save.

Antimatter3009 said:
I just wanted to make it clear that it's a toggle and must be pressed in game. Whether it's on or off doesn't matter, it just changes when you press it in game.

My next question would be does shift still work? After that, have you tried starting a new game (or an older save, or whatever)? You need to check if it's the whole game that's messed up, or just the one save.
And again, I have tried pushing it on or off and it makes no difference in game.

I've tried old saves. The only I haven't done was a new character. Shift key still works but instead of running it makes me walk since I run constantly.

Moose777 said:
And again, I have tried pushing it on or off and it makes no difference in game.

I've tried old saves. The only I haven't done was a new character. Shift key still works but instead of running it makes me walk since I run constantly.
Understood that you pressed it in game...I misinterpreted or missed something in my first post but I get it now :)

It sounds like it's the whole game, though. All of the behavior is consistent with just having turned on always run, but apparently for you it's stuck on. At least you can use shift as a temporary solution, but I would recommend looking through the ini file. You can probably edit it to manually set autorun to be off. Alternatively, backup your saves, uninstall, delete the directory if it's still there, and then reinstall. Sounds like overkill for such a small and strange problem, but I wouldn't have any more ideas.

sculelos said:
I think once you get to 75 in sneak it stops mattering, although my current guy only has a sneak level of 40, it going to be my 3rd char that completed the dark brotherhood and 2nd to complete the mainquest, then I'll complete everything else, hehe, and if I find someone is tough for me I can use adrenaline rush, although I havn't had to use it much.

At 75 you can walk/run while sneaking for no penalty, it's fantastic. I can see why they left the mulitplier at 3x, at high stealth level you can easily clear half of dungeons without being seen and, with care, can clear out a dungeon without ever being seen.

Antimatter3009 said:
Understood that you pressed it in game...I misinterpreted or missed something in my first post but I get it now :)

It sounds like it's the whole game, though. All of the behavior is consistent with just having turned on always run, but apparently for you it's stuck on. At least you can use shift as a temporary solution, but I would recommend looking through the ini file. You can probably edit it to manually set autorun to be off. Alternatively, backup your saves, uninstall, delete the directory if it's still there, and then reinstall. Sounds like overkill for such a small and strange problem, but I wouldn't have any more ideas.
I really hope it doesn't come down to me having to uninstall/reinstall the game. Cause if it does the game most likely won't see my HDD for a while because I'd be too pissed off.

Cabezone said:
At 75 you can walk/run while sneaking for no penalty, it's fantastic. I can see why they left the mulitplier at 3x, at high stealth level you can easily clear half of dungeons without being seen and, with care, can clear out a dungeon without ever being seen.

It's true. I don't even bother fighting anymore with 79 sneak. I just strut around like I own the place and nothing ever sees me unless I get right in its face.

If shift still works, it is capslock. your keyboard is broken.

This problem is usually occurent with Joysticks./ Joystick settings. What you need to do is goto your oblivion file,

DO THIS: Goto My documents / My Games / Oblivion / oblivion configuration settings. (open with notepad). Once you get in there go down the list till you find bs_usejoystick_1 change the 1 to a 0 and click save. Problem solved.

Thank you everyone for your help. It was my keyboard. I have a Zboard and apparently the caps lock key got stuck (this has happened before with other keys) but it didn't look like it was stuck. I had to remove the key set and the key popped back into place. I put it back on tried moving and noticed that if I pushed the caps lock key down I would resume walking again.

Thanks again for the help.

Back