• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Oblivion Developer Says Blu-ray Is Slower

HardOCP News

[H] News
Joined
Dec 31, 1969
Messages
0
According to Game World Network, a developer on the PS3 version of Oblivion said that the company is duplicating data on the disc to speed up load times.

“Drive speed matters more to me [than capacity], and Blu-ray is slower.” The developer is apparently duplicating critical data on the Blu-ray disc in order to fill up all the unused space, which improves load times for the game.
 
If they have the extra space then good for them. Question is though couldn't they just cache it to the hard drive?
 
Steve didn't you just get yelled at yesterday for posting neggative info about Sony? Guess you didnt' listen did you cuz here your at it again. Shame on your for not trying harder to find good stories about Sony. tsk tsk
 
If they have the extra space then good for them. Question is though couldn't they just cache it to the hard drive?

What I'm thinking. Sounds like just some more sony bashing going on.
 
Ya Steve why didn't you spin this story in a positive light for Sony???

Like:

Due to unbelievable bad coding Oblivion developers must now duplicate data on the blu-ray disc to get good performance. Thank god blu-ray has tons of space. Thank you Sony.
 
Steve didn't you just get yelled at yesterday for posting neggative info about Sony? Guess you didnt' listen did you cuz here your at it again. Shame on your for not trying harder to find good stories about Sony. tsk tsk

Ya Steve why didn't you spin this story in a positive light for Sony???

Like:

Due to unbelievable bad coding Oblivion developers must now duplicate data on the blu-ray disc to get good performance. Thank god blu-ray has tons of space. Thank you Sony.


Heh...yeah :D

I'd get yelled at worse for ignoring stories unless they were favorable to a company. Besides, it's early...plenty of positive stories can come out today. ;)
 
Heh...yeah :D

I'd get yelled at worse for ignoring stories unless they were favorable to a company. Besides, it's early...plenty of positive stories can come out today. ;)


In other news, gamers who purchase Oblivion for the PS3 get 2 games for the price of one!
 
If they have the extra space then good for them. Question is though couldn't they just cache it to the hard drive?

The data still has to be transfered from the disk to the hard drive and that is where the speed problems are. Sony is only using a 2x Blu-ray drive which is slower than the 16x DVD drive in the 360.
 
they do say slower, but don't really state how much slower in terms of actual time. I would imagine its a little severe since they are doing techniques to speed up load times, but if we are talking about say 5-15 seconds longer to me that is not that huge of an issue. Also why is that Bethsheda is stating it and no other developer has expressed concern over this (at least I have not read about any others)?
 
Doesn't mention boot time from what I understood it's slow to access the game content. So while you're playing it might just be annoying to wait for disk access.
 
Can someone explain how duplicating data on a disc can decrease loading times? For some reason I can't really grasp that idea. i r noob haha
 
they do say slower, but don't really state how much slower in terms of actual time. I would imagine its a little severe since they are doing techniques to speed up load times, but if we are talking about say 5-15 seconds longer to me that is not that huge of an issue.

Since Oblivion has streaming environments where you don't necessarily always load a level but you walk seamlessly into the next environment. The 5-15 second pause before you enter the next environment is very annoying not to mention would cause a uproar.
 
Can someone explain how duplicating data on a disc can decrease loading times? For some reason I can't really grasp that idea. i r noob haha

The only way I can think of that helping is if the read laser is slow(moving back and forth), so it doesn't have to go back to a different spot on the disk.



Either way, this is a nice kick in the nuts for Sony. The only thing that really sets it apart from the X360(for now) and devs are complaining about how slow it is. :eek:
 
No no no, you guyz got it all wrong. We do not understand the superior technology involved in blu-ray. Besides Sony is aware of this and already planed dual blu-ray and quad blu-ray to keep up with the new trend!

It's not slow you are just using it wrong.
 
I think Sony needs to give away some PS3s to an orphanage or something, I can't remember the last positive Sony story I heard. Then again, they would probably get slammed when the kids couldn't use them because they had no TVs, and even if Sony donated TVs they would probably get slammed when the kids fought and killed each other for play time, or for violent content, or something. :p

It never occurred to me that Blu-Ray could be slower than a standard DVD drive..

I found this related topic when searching for more info on transfer rates. Apparently this is not entirely new news (date on article is Sep 06 )

PS3 2xBlu-Ray transfer rate: 9MB/sec
XBOX360 12X DVD transfer rate: 16MB/sec

That is over 75% faster, although I'm not sure how seek times, random access, etc compare. Interestingly, this data comes from a former Sony "Manager of Developer Relations" Mark DeLaura.

Here's his quote:
"Admittedly, Blu-Ray looks dicey from several non-capacity angles. Blu-Ray movies require a 1.5x Blu-Ray drive, or 54Mbits/second. Sony announced that PS3 uses a 2x BD drive, which is 72Mbits/second or 9MB/second. The Xbox 360 uses a 12x DVD, which should give it about 16MB/second. That is significantly faster for games and will result in shorter load times. And that 12x DVD drive should be a whole lot cheaper."
 
“Drive speed matters more to me [than capacity], and Blu-ray is slower.”

I think the same. I want a 15K PMR RAPTOR and 150GB is enough for me. No need for 320GB+
 
Just another, albeit small, nail in the obvious coffin that Sony built for themselves. Its amazing how much info can be put out to the light and still ignored by their fans who normally happen to be boys.
 
Steve please, Please, PLEASE!! don't listen to the pukes that flame you for passing on this information to us. I personally want both sides of the story. As I can't conceive how the truth can hurt me.

Now in relation to the story. Is Sony forcing Bethesda to publish on Blue-Ray? I thought the PS3's drive could handle normal DVDs and CDs?
 
As to how doubling the data could speed up load times, I will take a wild guess at it. By filling up the inside of the disk, they are able to move more data to the outside of the disk. The outside spins faster and therefore has better transfer rates. I have heard that this is not true, but when I rip a CD it transfers faster in the later tracks…. That is my theory on it.

And Oblivion is diffidently one of those games where you can’t have load times. That would ruin the whole game play experience. Imagine having it pause for 10 seconds every few yards, or during a running battle.

As for DVDs, I would bet that the Sony drive also reads them slowly.
 
Quit shooting the messenger. Thanks no kudos for me Steve.

However, Oblivion is one of the first "Next Gen" Multiplatform games
that shows where everyone sits. There's not many / a game out right now
besides oblivion that can really do this.

PS3's load times are going to be slower its a fact.
If I were Bethesda I'd be worried too because your
trying to make money in each category and have it made,
but if the media / ps3 can't output what they want.
It'll make them look bad too.

In lighter news for the day Sony starts with an S.
 
Oh lordy, Oblivion load times are long enough. I got used to popping one hot pocket in the microwave when waiting.:D
 
This is why I am waiting 2 years for PS3 2.0 with the 5x BR drive:p haha
 
Sorry to do this again, but Bethesda is on some sort of crack. For starters, everyone knows that the Blu-ray drive reads slower...for the most part. Nothing new there. However, it is a constant read speed no matter where the data is on the disc, it will always be at 9MB/s. The dvd drive in the 360 will only peak at 16MB/s and that is only if the drive is spinning at full speed and the data is at the right spot on the disc. It could read as slow as 4-5MB/s but the average is around 11-12 MB/s. Still faster but hardly blowing it out of the water.

Now this is where the crack smoking comes in. Every PS3 has a hard drive. They could probably load the entire game on there and it would load as fast as it did on the PC. But they don't have to do that, they can do just like other developers are doing and dropping 3-5gigs onto the hard drive to speed up load times. Put the most important chunks that need to be accessed quickly. There you have ~34MB/s.

Duplicating the data on the disc, give me a break. Perhaps they should take a trip over to Factor 5 and see how they work out the massive levels in Lair which utilizes both the hard drive and the blu-ray drive to maximize data loading.
 
Back
Top