NVME drive not booting instantly

SickBeast

Limp Gawd
Hey guys,

I'm hoping some of you have experience with booting Windows 10 from an NVME SSD. I've got a Samsung 960 Evo and it doesn't boot instantly like I've seen in videos. Actually it did it a couple of times for me and then never again. What I'm talking about is how Windows 10 should just appear instantly as soon as the BIOS splash screen goes away. My system has the spinning circle for about 7 seconds before I see the desktop. Do any of you guys know what could be causing this? It started happening after I installed the Samsung NVME driver, however even if I uninstall the driver it still keeps happening. Thoughts? Any info would be great. I'm guessing a clean install of Windows 10 would fix it.

I just tested my 8700k, Windows 10 LTSB with 960 Evo.

I get the bios splash screen, then the spinning wheel for 6.5 seconds.

Then I see the desktop.

Its on a brand new, 2 month old install of Windows 10.

I did notice that after I updated my mobo BIOS to the most recent version, the spinning circle time doubled. Ugh.

My wife's Windows 10 Pro, Adata XPG SX6000 NVME machine shows basically an identical load time.

But 7 seconds is pretty dang quick in my book.

Make sure quick boot is turned on in the bios is where I would start, also iirc there might be a utility from your mobo manufacturer to help with that.

Windows has a "fast boot" feature that uses a hibernation file to speed up booting. Maybe that's what you're looking for. Personally I prefer to boot from scratch, it's fast enough.

Back