NVIDIA: Yahoo Finance Company of the Year

Discussion in 'HardForum Tech News' started by HardOCP News, Dec 19, 2016.

1. HardOCP News

HardOCP News [H] News

Say what you want about NVIDIA, the company has been making all the right moves this year and its stock price reflects that. Hell, NVIDIA's stock price has tripled in the last year alone and if you bought stock just 4 years ago, you'd be up tenfold.

2. Bandalo

Bandalo 2[H]4U

I like Nvidia and all, but I'm not sure if they want praise from Yahoo.

3. lcpiper

lcpiper [H]ardForum Junkie

I wouldn't buy their stock now, $20 a share used to be pretty normal as a price point. What I mean is, if you see them under $20 they are pretty safe to buy, and it's up to you to set your sell point. I prefer 15% myself on more volatile stocks. I'll take 15% four times a year over trying to hold out for 50% or 100%+.

That being said, I saw NVidia at just under $20 back in 2006 or 2007, and I bought $10,000 worth, and the very next day they dropped by over 60%, my $10,000 became $3,300 in a day. That was a shock, and it kept slipping. When the drop finally slowed I through another $10,000 at it. All the information said the company was solid, they were leveraged in debt, and the price drop was because they screwed up with the package for some laptop chips and the fallout was going to keep them profitless for a couple quarters, so I bought more.

Buying in deeper let my buy many more shares at the lower price cost averaging my invest. In other words, they wouldn't have to return to $20 a share for me to get my investment back, or even to make my earnings. In the end NVidia climbed back up and I made my money just fine. I learned never to invest all that you have, if you do, you can't make a move like this to get you into a better position when surprises happen.

4. Twisted Kidney

Twisted Kidney 2[H]4U

Well you know it wasn't going to be Yahoo.

5. DPI

DPI Nitpick Police

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 20, 2016
    WorldExclusive and piscian18 like this.
  6. dgingeri

dgingeri 2[H]4U

For those that don't know, now is a bad time to join in, as it probably won't be getting much higher. The trick is buy low/sell high. Buy high/sell high doesn't help much.

7. nvgrim

nvgrim [H]ard|Gawd

AMD made me a lot of money this year.

8. gigatexal

gigatexal [H]ardness Supreme

instead of day trading my inheritance away in 2012 I should have bought and hold. shoot.

9. nvgrim

nvgrim [H]ard|Gawd

You could have bought just $1000 worth of shares of AMD in February and have $10,000 now. :)

10. dgz

dgz [H]ardness Supreme

I was about to put a few tens of thousands in AMD early in the spring. Then a series of bad things happened and I got carried away. Feel like shit at the moment. The dollar was weaker too. I guess it wasn't meant to happen

11. PhaseNoise

PhaseNoise [H]ard|Gawd

The Way Your Portfolio Was Meant To Be Played

12. Zarathustra[H]

Zarathustra[H] Official Forum Curmudgeon

While I hate some of the "exclusive" and "lock-in" type of stuff they do, like the proprietary G-Sync instead of open Free-sync forcing you to be locked in to a GPU vendor once you choose a dynamic refreshrate monitor, and the likes of Gameworks provided to developers, to create exclusive effects for Nvidia GPU's, I have been very impressed with what they have accomplished as of late.

They have diversified and been successful in a time when conventional wisdom would have predicted that they would be facing difficulty due to the increasing success of integrated CPU and on board graphics.

Impressive work.

13. NeghVar

NeghVar 2[H]4U

In late 2002, I purchased 100 shares of Nvidia for about $11.50 per share. Since then, there has been 2:1 and a 3:2 split and I purchased 100 more after the 2008 crash for $8.14/share. That gave me 400 shares.
    Present values: $40464 (dividends not included)
    Profit: $38499

14. lcpiper

Shit, back in like 2003 or so, AMD was down to about $3 a share and then came the Thunderbird and Opteron chips and AMD climbed to over $60. That is 20x and what's more, at that price per share you can buy enough shares to make a split so so nice.

I missed out on that one buy the way, I sold at $10. When I realized they weren't done it was too late. Still, I made mine, no real regrets. I just learned to do things a little differently.

Just like I said not to invest all you have in order to keep options open, I also think you should sell in 50% pieces. You have 1,000 shares and you are at your chosen sell point, say 15%, sell half, sell 500, set a new point, 20% or two weeks, either triggers another 50% sale or 250 shares, the same again until it either stops growing or so little remains in real value that it's not worth hanging onto.

nvgrim likes this.
  15. gigatexal

gigatexal [H]ardness Supreme

that's awesome dude!

16. WorldExclusive

WorldExclusive [H]ardForum Junkie

I'll probably not invest in this stock in 2017, but it's time for me to get in the game. Exponential growth.

gigatexal likes this.
  17. nvgrim

nvgrim [H]ard|Gawd

Ive learned not to get upset at missed opportunities because there will always be another one. You never know ryzen might be a flop.

gigatexal likes this.
  18. gsilver

gsilver Gawd

I so wish that I had money to short it right now.

Haven't really invested in anything besides 10% into a 401k. I saved up and put my money into a house.
    ...But a ridiculous overvalue like this is one to take advantage of.

I'll start getting into stocks once I achieve goals like "no consumer debt" and "6 months salary saved up"
    First few years of owning a house are expensive as hell. Currently rounding out year two... Lots of landscaping work needed for it to become dog-ready (sod, sprinklers, grading, fence).

19. hardboner

hardboner Limp Gawd

WHERE'S MY FUCKING TIME MACHINE?

i want to rewind and buy amd and nvda.

Oh, and I hate the people who pronounce it nuh-vid-ee-uh.

20. serious

serious Limp Gawd

Nvidia stayed green for the last 4 quarters and stock grew 209%. AMD stayed red for the last 4 quarters and stock grew 333%.

21. DooLocsta

DooLocsta [H]ard|Gawd

If you are going back in time to buy stock there are much more lucrative ventures to be had :)

22. NeghVar

NeghVar 2[H]4U

That will not work. If you create a time machine to change something in the past, you will not have the motivation to create the time machine in the first place since what motivated you has already occurred. It is a loop that ends up right back where you started. The grandfather paradox.

23. lcpiper

That's OK, we all know that time doesn't actually exist anyways.

24. celeron300

celeron300 Gawd

Just remember what goes up... inevitably will fall... and fall much faster... but at least NVDA puts out a decent product for their stock price. What does Priceline (PCLN) do that merits 1500 / share???

Can you say #pumpanddump

Last edited: Dec 20, 2016
  25. toddw

toddw [H]ard|Gawd

In 2008 when it all dumped, I bought Microsoft at $19 a share and AMD belive it was under $3 a share, bought Intel instead of Nvidia.
    Sold it all 2012 timeframe. Made lots of money... however, without doubt would be a lot more today... A LOT MORE... oh well.