NVIDIA: 'we are 10x bigger than our GPU competitor'

Just like AMD, NVidia is into many things other than GPUs.

When NVidia's stock is pulling in $235 a share vs AMD at just under $12, there is something working here other than the whims of investors.

$235 vs $12

$235 vs $12

So? It’s not Nvidia fault that AMD acquired ATI and tries to compete against two giants in those markets. (Sometimes bad and sometimes good)

Also as poster said above Nvidia is spread out in several areas I think 6-8 more than AMD.

About the only thing AMD has on Nvidia is that it’s almost 30 years older and never offered dividends.

When NVidia's stock is pulling in $235 a share vs AMD at just under $12, there is something working here other than the whims of investors.

$235 vs $12

$235 vs $12

Mmmm not really. I mean they do ARM SoC but its pretty much just GPUs.

If rumors are true, nvidia stopped building pascal cards to clear inventory for Ampere.

Cash out your Nvidia stock while you can....
In 10-15 years most consumers/gamers will be using the APU's produced by either Intel or AMD, or Geforce Now (streaming gpu).
Every one of these scenarios means less discrete gpu shares for all 3 companies (Nvidias primary revenue stream)
Intel's 10 year milking of quad cores with 5% increase in performance upgrades has proven there is no need for more cpu power. Games and apps are limited by software/gpu power- not cpu.
This means that Intel/AMD will continue to dedicate more of their silicon real estate to gpu power in the apu and less to the cpu, eventually replacing the need for discrete gpu's to mainstream gamers.
Intel revenue last quarter= 16.1 Billion vs Nvidia Revenue=2.91 billion.
Intel just hired Raja Koduri.... because Intel is smart enough to see that Nvidia was creeping in on their Data Center Dominance (over 90% Intel server cpu market share).
Intel was slow to react on the machine learning/ai front and will be throwing their massive R&D budget at it now which is probably 5x larger than Nvidias.

My long money is on Intel, they are just a behemoth that can throw mountains of cash to steal the best engineers available.

In 10-15 years most consumers/gamers will be using the APU's produced by either Intel or AMD, or Geforce Now (streaming gpu).
Every one of these scenarios means less discrete gpu shares for all 3 companies (Nvidias primary revenue stream)
Intel's 10 year milking of quad cores with 5% increase in performance upgrades has proven there is no need for more cpu power. Games and apps are limited by software/gpu power- not cpu.
This means that Intel/AMD will continue to dedicate more of their silicon real estate to gpu power in the apu and less to the cpu, eventually replacing the need for discrete gpu's to mainstream gamers.
Intel just hired Raja Koduri.... because Intel is smart enough to see that Nvidia was creeping in on their Data Center Dominance (over 90% Intel server cpu market share).
Intel was slow to react on the machine learning/ai front and will be throwing their massive R&D budget at it now which is probably 5x larger than Nvidias.

My long money is on Intel, they are just a behemoth that can throw mountains of cash to steal the best engineers available.

Think you better reconsider the Intel investments. Not saying that they aren't going to flourish in the future; they are carrying a lot of debt compared to Nvidia for example.
https://marketrealist.com/2017/05/intels-debt-analysis-for-2017

Think you better reconsider the Intel investments. Not saying that they aren't going to flourish in the future; they are carrying a lot of debt compared to Nvidia for example.
https://marketrealist.com/2017/05/intels-debt-analysis-for-2017

As a Finance graduate ;) .... there is a difference between good debt and bad debt.
Good debt is debt that was accumulated at historically record low interest rates that we have been in for the last 10 years.
Even Apple has had bond offerings to issue debt when they are swimming in piles of cash.
Sometimes this is due to the tax laws where the corporations don't want to repatriate foreign cash for a tax hit, so they will just issue corporate bonds at crazy low rate/cost to them (currently Intel bond at 3.25%)
With inflation averaging 2% per year, if you borrow money at 3.25% in a bond issue, and pay the money back later with money that has 2% less purchasing power, they are essentially getting a free loan at 1.25% true cost.

Intel isn't immune to a serious screw up. Don't put all your eggs in one basket. Especially if it could get squished.

Not sure it will happen. I've been hearing that APUs will overtake GPU for like 10 years or so.

Don't forget NVidia's reach into medical imaging. Nearly every medical imaging device I work around has something from team green in it.

I heard the same retarded prediction a decade ago and today NVIDIA is 10x bigger than AMD while Intel is melting down.

A valid point for sure.
Nothing is guaranteed, but in this industry R&D budget is usually king (look at Intel vs AMD).

Is that why Intel killed off ARM? Oh wait it didn’t.

What is the point of this thread? It's certainly not news or even surprising. Everyone already knows how Intel, AMD and Nvidia stack up in net worth and market share.

I believe in the total opposite. Dump intel, buy Nvidia. Desktop CPUs are dying and for the last 10 years have been essentially a co-processor for my GPU. Chipzilla is fading fast. In all of my PCs, the GPU cost twice as much as the CPU, and is replaced with more power much sooner.

I believe in the total opposite. Dump intel, buy Nvidia. Desktop CPUs are dying and for the last 10 years have been essentially a co-processor for my GPU. Chipzilla is fading fast. In all of my PCs, the GPU cost twice as much as the CPU, and is replaced with more power much sooner.
Agreed. I bought some NVDA during the market dip on Monday, right before their earnings report because it was stupidly obvious they'd had an amazing quarter. No brainer buy.

And to your point, nowhere is the diminishment of the CPU as part of an overall system more apparent than with mining rigs: when you've got $8k-12k of GPU combined with $40 worth of CPU, well 300:1 ratio means Intel's stake in this ever growing paradigm is practically non-existent.

Last edited:

In early 2007 or so, I bought NVidia at just under $20 a share. The very next day NVidia announced that they had a problem with the silicon package of some integrated graphics chips for laptops and that they weren't going to make any cash for a quarter. So the very day after I sunk $10K into NVidia their shares dropped by 33% in that single day. Withing a couple more days they were under $10 a share, I bought another $10K worth, and they dropped under $4 a share, I had nothing free to throw at it or I would have. I sold some when they got to $12, the rest when they topped $18, I made my target but looking at them today, (NVidia was north of $255 just a couple weeks ago), it makes me wonder. I know this isn't just about graphics cards. No business like NVidia goes from the $20 to $40 dollar a share range to the > $200 a share range unless they have put their fingers in some additional pies that are well positioned for the future.

I just bought AMD and I didn't do it thinking I'd back them for the long game. I did it because AMD is always volatile, always up and down. Right now NVidia might be a good bet, if you have a ton of money to throw at it, say $100K. But I'm not investing $100K in a stock. I'll buy $5K worth of AMD looking for 15%, if they drop appreciatively I'll cost average my shares with another $5K. I bought at $12.70 and if they top $14.60 I'll sell. If I can do that 3 times a year I'll take my 15% 3 times a year and do a happy dance because 15% x 3 is 45% in the rough and I can live with 45% quite happily.

By extension, $5K worth of NVidia gets me just over 21.739 shares and to make 15% of NVidia they're share price has to climb to $264.5 and that is price they have never had. I'm not investing hoping for a company to set new records. I'd much rather invest in AMD expecting them to do what they have done hundreds of times in the past.

$235 vs $12

$235 vs $12

That doesn't paint the entire picture. You need to look at market cap which is share price * number of shares.

(Which also makes CPUs)

AMD said they have PLENTY of GPU's. The problem is the ramp up of HBM2 and GDDR5 at the speeds they want. NVIDIA doesn't use HBM 2 at those speeds so they aren't affected.

Marketing trick #101: When you start to feel insecure about your hold on the market place, remind everyone how inferior your competition is.

NVIDIA does have some very capable processing units, but their ARM side is lacking to be honest. They are ho-hum in the competitor space. And they have NOTHING in the CISC space. This makes VLIW processing (wide) more difficult.

$235 vs $12

$235 vs $12

Market cap is a much better indicator. Nvidia is about 140 billion, while AMD is 12 billion, or so. Literally, >10x. Look at Microsoft vs Apple, both are software behemoths with similar market cap, but far different stock prices.

Uh, yea no.

Market cap is a much better indicator. Nvidia is about 140 billion, while AMD is 12 billion, or so. Literally, >10x. Look at Microsoft vs Apple, both are software behemoths with similar market cap, but far different stock prices.

DigitalGriffin beat you to it (y)

AMD said they have PLENTY of GPU's. The problem is the ramp up of HBM2 and GDDR5 at the speeds they want. NVIDIA doesn't use HBM 2 at those speeds so they aren't affected.

Marketing trick #101: When you start to feel insecure about your hold on the market place, remind everyone how inferior your competition is.

NVIDIA does have some very capable processing units, but their ARM side is lacking to be honest. They are ho-hum in the competitor space. And they have NOTHING in the CISC space. This makes VLIW processing (wide) more difficult.

And yet they are making billions every quarter.

I can't even remember the last time Charlie Demerjian bashed nvidia for its financial tactics. I mean every time nvidia posted a record profit, charlie would slash them and "explained some obscure financial strategy" to clean the numbers and pronosticanting its eventual fall.

About the only thing they have failed miserably is mobile. But everywhere else they are doing great and are the dominant player in plenty of markets not just gaming.

And yet they are making billions every quarter.

I can't even remember the last time Charlie Demerjian bashed nvidia for its financial tactics. I mean every time nvidia posted a record profit, charlie would slash them and "explained some obscure financial strategy" to clean the numbers and pronosticanting its eventual fall.

About the only thing they have failed miserably is mobile. But everywhere else they are doing great and are the dominant player in plenty of markets not just gaming.

I didn't deny that. But Smug Mug Huang is once again being misleading with his statements. Which is one of the reasons I don't like him. He's sitting at #1, but he feels the need to belittle his competition with half truths. Maybe he's overcompensating...

Last edited by a moderator:
I didn't deny that. But Smug Mug Huang is once again being misleading with his statements. Which is one of the reasons I don't like him. He's sitting at #1, but he feels the need to belittle his competition with half truths. Maybe he's overcompensating...
What half truths? What he says is pretty much spot on.

I gotta give credit to AMD as they came up with Vega which is a very capable card and with only a fraction of the R&D budget compared to nvidia.

What half truths? What he says is pretty much spot on.

I gotta give credit to AMD as they came up with Vega which is a very capable card and with only a fraction of the R&D budget compared to nvidia.

Oh snap. @NVIDIA CEO Jensen Huang says "we are 10x bigger than our GPU competitor, so we have a lot more suppliers...supplying us." Not agreeing with @AMD statement that memory is holding back GPU ramps.

AMD is using harder to manufacture higher speed memory for it's VEGA and supply is running short on GDDR5 and HBM2 that AMD needs. NVIDIA doesn't use the same memory so NVIDIA may not have a supply issue. But Huang can make no comments about availability of memory he doesn't try to get a hold of. So it was a stupid ass statement for him to make. He's full of half misleading truths. This is, I think, the fifth one I caught him in.

He's just trying to bolster his company which I get as a CEO. But it's still swarmy.

AMD is using harder to manufacture higher speed memory for it's VEGA and supply is running short on GDDR5 and HBM2 that AMD needs. NVIDIA doesn't use the same memory so NVIDIA may not have a supply issue. But Huang can make no comments about availability of memory he doesn't try to get a hold of. So it was a stupid ass statement for him to make. He's full of half misleading truths. This is, I think, the fifth one I caught him in.

He's just trying to bolster his company which I get as a CEO. But it's still swarmy.

Nvidia is likely selling more P100 and V100 cards than AMD is selling Vega cards.
Without mining AMD would pretty much be completely done in GPUs.

8% installed base in gaming is likely to end around 3-4% end of year for AMD. No new products, no nothing.

And at least Nvidia and Huang delivers instead of one BS PR slide after the other with empty promises.

Nvidia is likely selling more P100 and V100 cards than AMD is selling Vega cards.

8% installed base in gaming is likely to end around 3-4% end of year for AMD. No new products, no nothing.

And at least Nvidia and Huang delivers instead of one BS PR slide after the other with empty promises.

While you may be correct

At jobs past, I've seen bosses just ignore people because their employees were

Last edited by a moderator:
While you may be correct

At jobs past, I've seen bosses just ignore people because their employees were

One thing is sure, Huang is passionate for his job and company unlike some VP/CEO just thinking on the next bonus check. And that´s one of the many reasons that Nvidia is where they are now and the defacto company for gaming and close to being defacto for HPC if they can do big data processing like Intel can with their HPC options.

Thank you for inserting some common sense...
That doesn't paint the entire picture. You need to look at market cap which is share price * number of shares.
If I have a $100 bill, it's worth 10x more than your $10 bill.

But if I have one $100 and you have ten $10 bills, we both have the same amount of money.

The price of a share is meaningless. The price of the total pile of shares (market capitalization) is what matters.

Not sure it will happen. I've been hearing that APUs will overtake GPU for like 10 years or so.
unlikely i think. cause turn time back 15 years, how many pc u can fit from that age into a good phone now. But u still cant match a pc with a phone. Things have for most times always worked that way. There need to be some serious levels of improvement just to match a 1080ti in 5 years if it is even possible, and by that time what kind of graphics cards and cpu's can we buy then? It does feel like, consoles, and the phone generation along with the anti piracy stuff is slowely killing of the great PC era. But it is still the superior and a popular platform. No im not sure if i want to believe this just yet. Im so thankful im a PC generation type, but u can see how the world have made it's mark on this computer generated realm for sure, slowly over time.

Thank you for inserting some common sense...If I have a $100 bill, it's worth 10x more than your $10 bill.

But if I have one $100 and you have ten $10 bills, we both have the same amount of money.

The price of a share is meaningless. The price of the total pile of shares (market capitalization) is what matters.

Nvidia's total stock is worth 151.5 Billion

AMD total stock is worth 11.6 Billion

Nvidia's more than 10 x bigger ;) If we are talking about pure worth of outstanding shares of stock.

Not just likely, they are selling more, many more, its likely they are selling about the same amount of V100's as the total Enthusiast level cards. nV's margins are higher than Intel's now @ 63%, this increase must be due to Volta that was the only high margin products that made any increase in sales this following quarter or two.

Last edited:
First NVIDIA burned my eyes out with graphics and ateophied my body, now they want to drive my car for me.

If i only i had bought stock instead of graphics card. Who knew?

Back