NVIDIA Wants Retailers to Sell GeForce GPUs to Gamers, Not Miners

im sure the security services are busy working on ways to disrupt the crypto currency exchanges that are being used to circumvent sanctions and carrying out large scale money laundering.

So what is going to happen when GPU's (Nvidia's) are in millions of cars? Other AI stuff? This is coming. It is just not Mining that will compete with gaming GPU's, as in memory, foundry capacity, packing etc. The modern GPU is mostly a compute device that can do games but a hell a lot of other stuff. Should limitations also be placed there?

Look what Intel charges for their 18 core CPU? $2000 and that does not even come on a card, have ram, power stages, video ports etc. There is room for upping GPU prices when it can do things that Intel 18 core chips can't even remotely get close to. Note the new price for Titan, the Titan V at $3000 and they are selling out! -> That is what we are looking at I do believe. Mid range as in 2080 gaming cards I think will be close to a $1000. Hell maybe even more.

I can't believe I am about to buy a prebuilt system. Some of the system builders let you choose all your components, it is just like shopping on newegg/amazon.

From what I can tell there is a $150-$200 premium on the system, beats what is happening right now. Not to mention I don't have to do anything but install windows.

I feel dirty even considering buying prebuilt.

Oh and good luck to you guys trying to convince people that PC gaming is less expensive/better then consoles. The less expensive has always been a fallacy, but now it is just insanity.

Oh and good luck to you guys trying to convince people that PC gaming is less expensive/better then consoles. The less expensive has always been a fallacy, but now it is just insanity.
No it hasn't. Yes, right now the PC loses that argument pretty badly, and yes, typically the hardware equivalence on PC for consoles has always been a little more expensive. The savings comes from game prices. If you wait until sales, or better yet, buy ones a year or two old, consoles just don't even come close over the long term.

Reactions: Parja
like this
I personally think they should just give into it and release reference miner GPU versions that have no display output.

Sell them for a few $$ less than normal cards and just say fuck it.

Lip service at its finest

That's unfair at best. Nvidia has been making some visible efforts, but retail is retail. NVIDIA likely cares not because of good nature, but because all reasonable interpretation of the crypto mining situation would imply that there will be a bust and then there will be a market glut. Before then market pressures will at least force NVIDIA loyalists to consider moving to other brands to get something at all. Neither of these situations is good for NVIDIA long term.

Thank goodness it's not possible to mine with food, otherwise we would all starve to death, because of some greedy people who think it is a good idea to waste resources while producing nothing of value to society. This way the only casualty is pc gaming.

BTW if nvidia really wanted to make a change and not just virtue signal, they could put a flag into every gaming card that prevents them from being used in mining the most popular cryptos, except for cards specifically manufactured and sold for that purpose.

I personally think they should just give into it and release reference miner GPU versions that have no display output.

Sell them for a few $$ less than normal cards and just say fuck it.
Not, less, at least at an 50% premium. While disabling mining on regular gaming cards. I'd ban crypto in it's entirety for the sake of the environment and the economy if it were up to me, but this would be at least a start.

Now all the miners are getting defensive. LOL I love it, how does it feel?

/shrug.

I'm making money running my rig in the basement doing absolutely nothing. Glad if I wanted to sell my cards now I can mark it up higher than I paid for it. I'm actually loving it :D

Not, less, at least at an 50% premium. While disabling mining on regular gaming cards. I'd ban crypto in it's entirety for the sake of the environment and the economy if it were up to me, but this would be at least a start.

I feel like at that price premium that the miners would find ways to flash a mining bios onto the gamer cards.

I feel like at that price premium that the miners would find ways to flash a mining bios onto the gamer cards.
Killers and rapists still find a way to kill and rape, that doesn't mean we shouldn't try everything in our power to prevent them from doing so.

PS: Before anyone reads into it, no I don't think miners are as bad as killers and rapists, but they do have something in common with them: they disregard the greater good. I'm sorry but I can't feel any empathy to miners, these are not people who are on the brink of poverty, these are well situated people who can afford dozens if not hundreds of gaming cards to pursue personal gains, economic and other consequences be damned. Cryptomining in my eyes is like eating pandas or hunting elephants for ivory.

I don't understand the people who started this, how are they making money?
I often wonder what exactly is getting grinded? I know they say its just balances of coins ground...whats the profit in that?
People do this to make money without taxes, it should be shut down like Korean and China.

i don't think it'll pop.

i have no evidence to back that up.

but if it does it's gonna fucking hilarious when all those cards hit ebay.

It did pop once before and you should have seen all the AMD video cards that hit ebay. A 290X went from being impossible to find at retail prices to being damn near worthless. Then it picked up again and a old card like the 290x went back to being worth what it sold new for. It will implode again especially as they work to make it less anonymous, it will lose it's luster fast and we have already seen Bitcoin drop quite a bit.

It did pop once before and you should have seen all the AMD video cards that hit ebay. A 290X went from being impossible to find at retail prices to being damn near worthless. Then it picked up again and a old card like the 290x went back to being worth what it sold new for. It will implode again especially as they work to make it less anonymous, it will lose it's luster fast and we have already seen Bitcoin drop quite a bit.
It's funny that you (and many others) believe that it is anonymous now.....

It's funny that you (and many others) believe that it is anonymous now.....

Yet you say that and the Silk Road happened and if you think that was the only nefarious thing with bitcoin, you would be wrong.

Back