• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Nvidia vs Radeon?

ThagAndy

n00b
Joined
Aug 3, 2006
Messages
3
Which is better for gaming, Nvidia or Radeon?

I'm looking for a new card and I'm very torn on what to get. A bit confused as well. First off, I'm mainly a gamer. WoW, Oblivion, a few FPS's, RPGs, and also looking forward to the new Splinter Cell. I'm on a budget but I can go up to $200.

Main cards I'm looking at now are GForce 6800, ATI x800 series, or ATI 1300 AGP. Any feedback is appreciated.
 
HAHAHA

Let the wars begin!

for $200 flat, your best bet is the X1800XT 256MB edition. Not because it's ATI, but because it's a powerful card for exactly $200.
 
DeathMan said:
HAHAHA

Let the wars begin!

for $200 flat, your best bet is the X1800XT 256MB edition. Not because it's ATI, but because it's a powerful card for exactly $200.

QFT!

Or if you trust open boxes you can get a 7900GT for around 200. That would be a bit better(notice I said bit) than the ATI card at least the 256mb edition of the X1800XT. But I would still go with that ATI since you have no preference on who you want(which is a good thing BTW).
 
Oh no no no not another one of these threads...

My guess is that this will end up locked before tomorrow morning.

$200 for an X1800XT is a great deal though. ;)
 
IMHO and this is purely opinion, but I've felt that ATI has made a better card since nVidia's cards after their ti4xxx series. It's always seemed to me that while nVidia usually looks beter in benchmarks, ATI looked better visually. Again... this is all opinion. Both companies make good cards, and you wouldn't be losing out going with either.
 
Poncho said:
IMHO and this is purely opinion, but I've felt that ATI has made a better card since nVidia's cards after their ti4xxx series. It's always seemed to me that while nVidia usually looks beter in benchmarks, ATI looked better visually.


Shhhh...

do you hear that....

i can hear them coming....





FAN BOYS!!! RUN!!
 
I jsut wanted to make sure we are all on teh same page. It looks like he is looking for an AGP card. if that is teh case an X1800 is not the way to go as they do not exist.
 
First off, ATI is much better than nvidia.

Haha JP. Also, hes got an AGP mobo guys, so the x1800xt is out.

For $200 you can snap a 6800ultra from compusa ($150) or you could go to ATI.com and get a refurb x800xl for $120. There isnt too much that is going to give you better performance than those two on an agp mobo. There is the 7800gs, but they are outta your budget. I would start looking around the forums. I have used both flavors (Nv,ATI) and have liked both. I would look for:

Nvidia:
6800gt or better
(6800ultra pref)

ATI:
x800xl or better
(x850xtpe pref)

Of all the agp cards you can get in your budget, the best would most likely be a x850xt pe. If i remember right, the smoke a 76gs.

correct me if i am wrong

MH
 
jackbauer said:
if you are going with AGP, the best deal out right now is the x850xt at www.ati.com for about 150.

if going agp, then the X850XT is a great deal and plenty powerful.

if (for some reason) he does have pci-e, then the X1800XT still stands triumphant.
 
ATI Local: Bestbuy has a sale.. x1900gt for $279.00
ATI online: x1800xt for about $200

Nvidia Local: Pcclub or other local pc store.. $160.00 nvidia 7600gt
Nvidia online: 7900gt for about $250ish AR.


Just my 2 cents.
 
this thread was obviously started to cause this....

close this thread..
 
Faction said:
this thread was obviously started to cause this....

close this thread..


You know what's funny... the only reason that this thread should be closed so far is because of the people bitching that this will turn into a flame fest. How bout you guys GTFO.... this thread has been civil up until you fucktards showed up. There... now it shoudl be closed. :D
 
I didnt post this to cause any problems. I read somewhere where NVidia was better for gaming, but ATI was better for multimedia apps. I am looking for serious responces.

I've narrowed it down a bit.

X800XL
X850XT
X850XT PE

6800 ULTRA

Just got back from Frys and Compusa, and neither store have any of these cards.
 
If you can find an x850xt PE for a price you are willing to pay, go for it, awesome card.

The x1300 is a pure budget card, and slower than any of the x8xx series, but it does give you one benefit, which is Avivo. Then again, that doesn't have all the bugs worked out yet, and if you don't do a lot of encoding, it might not matter. And on second thought, that might only be ok the x1600 and higher.
 
x800xl refurbed from ATI store

or the x800gto from newegg

best bang/buck in the AGP world at this point IMO

An x850xt PE would be faster, but also likely much more expensive.

As far as what brand, doesn't matter. Only f4nboys think one is better than the other. Somehow I always end up with an ATI card, though...
 
If you might ever have any interest in Linux, go with a 6800GT/Ultra. Nvidia has much better drivers for Linux than ATI does right now. If you're on Windows, I don't think it really matters much, but people sure do like to argue about it. I buy Nvidia because of Linux support.
 
unified shaders :confused:

unified drivers :confused:

is there some new tech out we don't know about ?!
 
The Linux comment was unfortunately correct, ATI has shown crap for Linux support (and I know this first hand trying to run an ATI card in Linux as a second OS). They can do 2D fine, but 3D support is very lacking.
 
NulloModo said:
The Linux comment was unfortunately correct, ATI has shown crap for Linux support (and I know this first hand trying to run an ATI card in Linux as a second OS). They can do 2D fine, but 3D support is very lacking.

That's good. I am glad they aren't wasting my consumer dollars on your Linux drivers :D
 
This is $6 over your budget, but it's pretty high end and a tad faster than the x850XTPE: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814130046

It's already been mentioned (it's a 7800GS), but as it's recertified, it's cheaper than the retail ones and has a 15 day return policy (see if it works and if it does, keep it, if it doesn't, get a refund).

If I were still on AGP socket 754, I would probably be upgrading my 6800GT to that, at least until the DX10 and quad core CPU I'd want are out. I'm not doing that because I jumped to PCI-E last year (which I feel was a mistake).

The better title for this thread would be Nvidia GeForce vs ATi Radeon.

IMO, both have good spots and bad spots and I've used both back and force. ATi used to suck before they came out with the 9700 cards, but since then, they've been doing very well. Nvidia has also been doing well. I go back and forth depending on features and price, just like I do with Intel and AMD CPU's. Everything has its place.
 
Met-AL said:
That's good. I am glad they aren't wasting my consumer dollars on your Linux drivers :D

Heh, not my Linux drivers, granted I still have a 10 gig partition on my main drive dedicated to Mandrake Linux, but that is mainly because I am too afraid that trying to delete that or the bootloader would botch my WinXP install somehow.
 
NulloModo said:
Heh, not my Linux drivers, granted I still have a 10 gig partition on my main drive dedicated to Mandrake Linux, but that is mainly because I am too afraid that trying to delete that or the bootloader would botch my WinXP install somehow.

Boot into recovery console and run the command that fixes the MBR, then delete the linux partitiion. easy. (Can't for the life of me remember what the name of that command is)
 
I love when noobs don't use the SEARCH feature on these forums.

These threads are the MOST popular ones in this forum, if you could not find one I will hit you in the nuts with a hammer.


To add something to this thread: nVidia have the best price for performance now (7900GT). I love nvidias drivers better than ATi's, they're better and always will be.
 
winston856 said:
I love nvidias drivers better than ATi's, they're better and always will be.

Can I borrow your crystal ball, I need next week's lottery numbers.
 
if you can get a 7800GS, thats the one for AGP, if not, its an x850XT PE which can be had for right around your budget IIRC :)
 
Back
Top